Detroit Beer Co. Alt Beer - Detroit Beer Co.

Detroit Beer Co. Alt Beer
No picture uploaded.

Detroit Beer Co. visit their website

Altbier |  4.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

A deep copper German ale with a complex malt sweetness and a full satisfying taste. This distinct taste can be attributed to the use of German spalt and American crystal hops.

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 07-08-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

05-08-2013 01:15:17 | More by Kerrie
StoutHunter

3.53/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Detroit Beer Co.'s Alt Beer last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I was in the mood for an Altbier, so I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label look ok, it was a little too plain, it poured a nice amber/red color that was pretty clear and got brighter when held to the light and had two and half fingers worth of fluffy light tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some nice patchy lacing. This is a proper looking AltBier, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off pretty malty and was fairly sweet and imparted some light roasted malts dark fruit, brown bread, caramel, and toffee aromas. Next came some doughy yeast aroma and a slight earthy hop aroma towards the end. The aroma was ok, but it wasn't as true to style as I would like it.

T- The taste seems to be like a lighter version of the aroma, it starts off with a good amount of malts with a medium amount of sweetness and impart some light toasted malts, caramel, toffee, light dark fruits, and a little bit of brown sugar. On the finish it had hardly any bitterness and a nice malty aftertaste. This beer tasted good, but it was a little on the sweet side.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly chewy, creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I felt that it was a little to thick for the style.

Overall I thought this beer was ok and a slightly above average example of the style, it was going in the right direction but it had some things that you wouldn't expect from the style that didn't really help this beer. It had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors sort of held my attention, I could drink one or two of these but that would be my limit. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and how complex the aroma was, those were done nicely. What I liked least about this beer was that it wasn't as true to style as it should be, it was more like a combination of Dopplebock and Altbier. I might buy this beer again when looking for a malty beer, but I don't see myself buying a six pack, it's worth a try but nothing to look really hard for. This brewery can be hit or miss but this beer prove to be solid, not particularly great in anything, but not bad either, it's pretty much right in the middle.

07-08-2012 03:17:21 | More by StoutHunter

buschbeer

3.2/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle
Served in a tumbler

A - It is a reddish amber in color with dark amber highlights. It has about two inches of beige head.

S - It is all malt. I smell prunes.

T - The taste is loaded with dark, dried fruits. Prunes keep coming to mind.

M - Pretty thin.

O - I tried one of these last weekend and thought it wasn't bad. I was buzzed last weekend. Sober, it is not quite as good. It is ok, but I feel like I am drinking prune juice. I got a theme going with this one.

11-03-2012 22:21:17 | More by buschbeer

Missouri

05-12-2013 02:44:17 | More by HarmonMW
WoodBrew

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

The Detroit Beer Co Alt beer is ok. I am not a big fan...but it is beer. The beer poured a rich clear amber with no head and no lace. The scent was very yeasty and malty. The taste was slightly bitter with big malt and biscuit flare. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with poor carbonation. Overall it was ok...a beer.

09-08-2013 20:29:09 | More by WoodBrew
RabbiX

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

A very basic malt flavor flavored beer, but with a beyond decent after taste. Beautiful color that just says "drink me", but an overall so so beer. Not exactly a great summer beer here in Florida, but on a chilly day served at warm temperature, my opinion might be different.

06-25-2013 23:47:48 | More by RabbiX
rpenterics

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

06-08-2014 02:04:22 | More by rpenterics
SometimesIfart

2.34/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - Poured clear amber with a thin white head that quickly fades away. Leaves small amounts of lacing.

S - Toasted and caramel malt.

T - Starts off with a ton of caramel malt, which quickly turns toasted, and not in a good way. The malt was over done in this one. Too toasty for the style and it didn't fit the beer at all.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, it was okay. I don't think I'd have it again though.

01-20-2013 01:32:51 | More by SometimesIfart
olafphysics

08-10-2013 22:24:31 | More by olafphysics
jucifer1818

1.25/5  rDev -58.6%

I had this one at a beer tasting and both me and my friend agreed that it was the worst beer at the show, under-preforming even magic hat.

Apart from having a decent appearance, theirs nothing good about this beer

We only had to drink about a ounce of the stuff end even that was almost too much.
Skip it, get something else period

10-26-2012 19:16:02 | More by jucifer1818
Detroit Beer Co. Alt Beer from Detroit Beer Co.