Newport Storm Rhode Island Blueberry - Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.

Newport Storm Rhode Island BlueberryNewport Storm Rhode Island Blueberry

Coastal Extreme Brewing Co. visit their website
Rhode Island, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 06-19-2006

Our Rhode Island Blueberry Beer is a crisp, refreshing Kolsch style ale made with fresh blueberries from local Rhode Island Farm, Schartner Farms in Exeter, RI! The prominent blueberry aroma that first meets the nose translates into a perfect balance of blueberry and beer flavor that pleases but doesn’t overpower the taste buds. The addition of fresh blueberry juice, over other types of flavoring, keeps our second year-round beer light and not-too-sweet-but-just-right!

Ratings: 141 | Reviews: 59
Reviews by beertardis:
3.49/5  rDev +4.8%

4.8 ABV. Had it at a tasting session in the Brewery.

A- Pleasant enough looking...lots of carbonation

S- I think it smells more like blueberry than a blueberry does. Very pleasant to smell.

T- Taste was somewhat surprising. I expected a sweet taste, but actually the beer has a bitter aftertaste.

M- Can definitely feel the carbonation while drinking it. Lots of fizzy feeling.

D- Easy to drink many of...but would you want to? Not that this is a bad beer by any means.

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VIII:

The theme? "A brewery in the Northeast is just not complete without a blueberry ale." What they hell, we'll give it a whirl ... every beer deserves a try, right?

Soapy frothing leaves behind some sticky lacing. Crystal-clear, golden straw color. Very faint blueberry in the nose, aromas of doughy malt and mild yeast display a clean smelling ale. Moderate-sized body with some crispness. With a slight, blueberry-like twang, there are extract qualities showing here. Withdrawn malt character just gets by; quick kiss of herbal bitterness from the hops helps to balance. Semi-clean and semi-dry finish.

Half decent, drinkable in a pinch, but it lands in the middle of the pack for fruit beers as the "natural flavor added" just does not cut it for us.

3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

The beer was poured into a pint glass, and had a hazy orange color. Very small white head. Berry aroma, sweet candy aroma. However, the aroma didn't translate to the taste. Kind of a cotton candy taste, couldn't appreciate very much blueberry. Pretty tangy, not sure how they managed that. One and done for me.

1.53/5  rDev -54.1%

I'm not typically a fan of fruity beers so I may not be the person for a great review of said beer but what I have noticed in these type of beers is that the balance between actually tasting the beer and the total cloying sweetness has to be harmonious. Also, the fruitiness, in this case blueberry, must taste authentic for me to enjoy it. Unfortunately, this offering from Newport Storm is neither. The taste is complete overkill of artificially flavored blueberries. I couldn't even drink it, so I mixed it with an Old Rasputin so I wouldn't waste it. Even my girlfriend who, for the most part, only drinks blueberry/fruity beers wasn't a fan.

Newport Storm offers some pretty good beers but, in my opinion, falls short on this offering.

3.97/5  rDev +19.2%

12oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter. best before SEPT notched.

pours out a deep hazy golden color with the slightest bit of red/ purple color noticable at times if you look for it. about a one finger head that faded to a thin, retentive ring after a minute. only spotty, quick lace from a swirl.

big aromas of fresh blueberry juice. smells a little tart and maybe even reminds you of grape juice. pretty nice.

again, a nice blueberry juice like flavor thats just at the right level, a slight tartness thats quickly cut by an assertive carbonation. the beer finishes with a slight wheat, pale malt breadiness and a quick snap of bitterness from the hops.

refreshing light body, great drinkability. slightly sweet.

maybe the best ive had from newport storm yet. a decent summer drinker with appeal to all. a nice sub 5% beer with lots of flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +27.3%

I"m usualy not a fruity beer guy...but this one was a pleasant exception.
The nose was ALL blueberry...so much so I was afraid that I was going to go into diabetic shock upon drinking it. The body and mouthfeel of it, however, was balanced and didn't have that sicky sweet after taste so many fruit beers have. This is a strong contender for a sesion beer...especially in the summer.

3.89/5  rDev +16.8%

Many thanks to TheManiacalOne for this treat.
I put off trying this beer for a long time because I am not a big fan of fruit beers especially blueberry. I have discovered that I'm really just not a fan of 'bad' fruit beers. This one is good.
While blueberry is predominant in the nose, it doesn't smell synthetic or too sweet and blends well with a lager smelling malt and yeast that actually makes the aroma seem to have body, smoothness and textures.
Mouthfeel is a little thin, especially after expecting something really chewy from the aroma.
Taste is a lightly sweet pale malt with a bit of bready or biscuit yeast in the middle fading to light citrus hops at the end. All of it with a mild undertone of the fresh blueberries.
This is really, really well done for a fruit beer.
Thanks for the opportunity.

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, day 19 of the 2013 Craft Beer Advent calendar.

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium golden amber colour, with two skinny fingers of wanly puffy, tightly foamy, and eventually creamy off-white head, which leaves a bit of streaky coral reef lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of blueberry fruit pie, doused in artificial blueberry Slurpee, the bready pale malt commendably present and accounted for, a touch of seemingly independent sourness, a touch of field honey, and very faint earthy, leafy hops. The taste is more semi-sweet mashed blueberries, now mostly bereft of their fake fruity essence, with a mild earthy tartness, gritty bready caramel malt, dry honey, and weak weedy hops.

The bubbles are rendered in a rather low-key manner, the body medium-light in weight, and plainly smooth, with little worthy of getting in the way at this juncture. It finishes off-dry, and duly fruity, the blueberry still working it, the plain-ass malt not really still as notable.

There's blueberry in this thar beer, sure, however the overall effect is middling, underwhelming, and well, just too meh for me 'I'to lust after another (of this, that is). Oh, and the under-cap sentiment doesn't exactly help - "I'm going to need a beer to put these flames out". What?

3.72/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pleasant enough looking...lots of carbonation

S- BLUEBERRY (I meant to write that in caps). In fact I think it smells more like blueberry than a blueberry does. Very pleasant to smell.

T- Taste is surprising. I expected a sweet taste, but actually the beer has a bitter aftertaste. I liked it while I drank it, but later on felt like I wanted to shave my tongue.

D- Easy to drink many of...but would you want to? I enjoyed the 2 I had, but after that I was ready for something else. Not that this is a bad beer by any means, but I'm not sure I could (or would want) to drink a 6-pack of these. The 4.5 alcohol content would make that a possibility, however.

3.69/5  rDev +10.8%

It seems that every brewery on the north Atlantic coast produces a blueberry beer. (Not really, but...) Maybe it has something to do with tourism. I could at least see that in Maine. Anyway, this is your average lighter-bodied golden ale with blueberry extract added (it's 1/2 fruit, 1/2 extract). It pours a clear yellow body beneath a thin head of white foam that holds fairly well before dropping to an average collar, and it leaves average lace about the glass. The nose is ALL blueberries, and you can't go wrong with that! The flavor is nice, clean, well-balanced, but clearly from extract. In fact, the extract pretty much over-rides any "beer" character that might be there. Fortunately, it finishes short and clean, leaving you refreshed rather than fruity. It's a great summer beer! Perfect for picnics or hikes or biking or boating or whatever you want to do when you don't really want a "beer" flavor, but more of something lightly sweetish and fruity.

3.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am not normally a fan of fruit beers, but this one was nice on a hot day. It pours a light golden-straw color with medium head that goes away quickly. The smell is of pure sweet blueberries, very fresh. Taste is also very sweet at first, then settling to a light malt towards the end. I suggest having this on either a hot day or as part of a "Black and Blue".

4.02/5  rDev +20.7%

I've had this beer quite a few times over the years. Out of all of the blueberry beers I have had I would have to say this is probably my favorite. The appearance is a little hazy pouring from the bottle. There isn't a lot of head and it dissipates rather quickly. The smell reminds me of a fresh batch of picked blueberries from a local farm. The taste is similar. Very fruity with a somewhat dry finish to it. The blueberries are definitely the star of the show. Overall this is a very drinkable beer and makes a great summer brew.

2.36/5  rDev -29.1%

My wife took a sip before me and she likes blueberry beers. i asked her if she liked it and she said "I could have one, but I wouldn't want another."

Pours like ginger ale, all popping and fizzing with a large bubbled head that is gone before I can say "scheppevesance". The color is hazy, light tea colored beer. A bit on the brown side, not golden.

The smell of the beer is sweet and strong with blueberry, no hops can be detected. There a hint of soap, like it's fake blueberry flavor, I don't know how many blueberries grow in Rhode Island.

The taste is bitter! I can't taste the blueberries, only smell them. The beer is very carbonated and has a strong dirt/root taste that is hard to get down the gullet. Way out of balance! Almost no sweetness in the beer all bitterness. It's like they used the blueberry branches for bitterness, not the blueberries! Too bad, i'll be sticking to Maine for my blueberry beers.

3.03/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Got in a BIF from TheManiacalOne. Thanks for this beer once again Mark. Drank a little bit past the freshness date I'm sure but it was a good beer nevertheless.

A- Pours a light hazed golden amber color. Half finger dirty white head dies to nothing quickly. Light lacing covers the sides of the glass.

S- One word....blueberry BLUEberry BLUEBERRY! Everything is covered in a sweet blueberry presence. I do pick up some light biscuit malts in this one but that is quickly covered by the blueberry scent. This smells like a blueberry muffin.

T- Malts come in a little bit to even out the blueberry taste in this beer. There is a light hop taste to it which Im sure if I would have drank it a little sooner would have been a little more. The malts clash with the blueberry taste to give this a weird but enjoyable Tootsie-Pop taste (the blue one).

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was good with the beer. Palate left in a blueberry mess. There was some drying in the mouth. Aftertaste was a toned down blueberry taste along with light malts.

D- Interesting take on this. Very fruit forward for sure. Might have enjoyed this a little more if I would have drank it sooner. Would like to try this one again a little fresher this time.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz long neck. Consumed 01/08/10

A) Pours with a finger thick, white head. Tight. Creamy. Lacing is sticky. Very active upward carbonation. Body is nearly clear, just a hint of haze (could be chill haze). Bronze in color.
S) Blueberry and light grain notes.
T) Fairly robust blast of blueberry up front, unfortunately the berry flavor is more artificial rather than real berry. Once the berry subsides, light notes of malt sweetness (caramel) and dry grain. Finishes with subtle hops and a grainy sweetness.
M) Fizzy then smooth. Light body. Slightly dry.
D) A decent brew. The blueberry gets a little overwhelming by the end of the glass.

2.12/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottle brought back in late February. BB notch seems to have washed away in the condensation.

Poured into my DFH rounded glass.

Golden, vaguely cloudy grainy-looking brew. Half inch of wispy head leaves transparent uniform stitching.

Smell is so obviously artificial. Much too strong & waxy. Along with the malt though, it comes off a lot like kid's cereal or $1 packs of Hostess blueberry-flavored pies. A little appetizing if just it's a bit nostalgic.

Taste is plastic phenols & headache inducing/medicinal blueberry popsicle flavors. The grain is chalky & just totally lays down to die. "Natural Flavor Added" means it comes from a naturally synthesized chemical flavor plant in Jersey.

Feel is like I said, chalky. Carbonation is alright. I prefer Wachusett's take on blueberry, which adds just a touch of earthiness, along with better pronounced malt. With Dark Horse's "Tres" being the only real pronounced, tart & earthy blueberry beer I've ever encountered.

Blueberries should be the perfect accessory to a thirst quenching beer. This one doesn't work. Sickening quasi-natural beer additives only promote bad headaches & teenage pregnancy.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

Got this one as an extra in a trade a little bit back and was happy to have another newport beer to try. This one I pulled out last night to give it a whirl. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 01/23/2009.

The pour was decent enough, albeit nothing really shocking. Hazy golden amber in color with a decent cloudiness to it. Small whaite head on top with some decent carbonation bubbling up. The aroma was loaded with artificial blueberry flavor and a very sweet nose. Light grains and a touch of light hops coming through. The flavro was decent, though it needed a fuller profile. Light and very well carbonated, the blueberry was not overdone, but in fact a bit too light for me as I really had wished for it to be a bit more then it was. Decent ale, but overall it was average at best.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

On draft at the brewery.

Poured a deep straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light blueberry aroma. Not as pronounced as I had anticipated however. Soft breadiness detected as well.

The taste was lightly fruity with some tartness and a round grain.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a decent ale. Not as assertive as others I have had.

4.45/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Light golden color with a nice white head.
S - Nice blueberry smell to it.
T - Typical blueberry beer taste.
M - Nice light feel to it with a blueberry taste.
D - I like it, try adding some fresh blueberries to a glass. Boston Beer Works does that. That is how I became hooked on this stuff.

3.22/5  rDev -3.3%

I picked up a bottle of Coastal Extreme Brewing Company's Newport Storm Rhode Island Blueberry a couple days ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I was looking for a new brewery to try and since i have never seen this brewery around and didn't know they were available in Michigan I decided to give them a shot, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz glass into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty simple, it doesn't look bad, but it's not that eye catching. It poured a dark orange/amber color that took on more of an amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but the head retention wasn't that great.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly high amount of sweetness followed by a huge blueberry aroma that smells a little artificial and it really reminds me of some Sour Straws berry flavored candys that I loved as a kid, the sour aroma was unexpected, but I don't mind it. I get a light amount of pale malt aromas but other than that there's no other noticeable aromas. I thought the aroma was nice, but it was pretty one dimensional.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma but it's much lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by light blueberry and mixed berry flavor that seems to be more natural then it was in the aroma. Up next comes some grainy and slightly bready pale malt flavor with no noticeable hop flavors and hardly any bitterness with a grainy and blueberry like aftertaste. The taste was pretty average, it was much thinner than I expected.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, on the thicker side of being lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was alright and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I wasn't real into this beer and I thought it was a very average example of a blueberry beer, the aroma gave me some hope that this would be one of the better Blueberry beers I have had, but when I got to the taste i was let down with the typical watery blueberry flavor that is in most average Blueberry beers. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, and I could see how it might be a little refreshing on a hot day, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and one is enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty nice and I actually liked the sour blueberry candy like aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was how thin the taste was, there's wasn't a lot of flavor or complexity going on. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't really recommend it as a good Blueberry beer. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, when I got to the taste if fell right in that average category. This didn't make for the best first impression for Newport Storm, but I would still be down to try a some more of their beers, better luck next time guys.

4.15/5  rDev +24.6%

This beer is crisp and tart but with sweetness to balance. The blueberry flavor comes.off as natural. A good beer if you like the fruit. This beer is crisp and tart but with sweetness to balance. The blueberry flavor comes.off as natural. A good beer if you like the fruit. This beer is crisp and tart but with sweetness to balance. The blueberry flavor comes.off as natural. A good beer if you like the fruit.

3.82/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma of blueberries is very strong. A little bit of hops is present as well.

T: The taste is mostly malty sweet with the blueberry flavor. There’s a touch of hops mixed in, which blends into a mild tartness.

M: Crisp & smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean & dry finish.

D: Tasty and light, very easy to drink, particularly if you’re a fan of the sweetness. Typically I don’t go for this style, but it’s one of the better beers that I’ve had within the style.

3.12/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Wasatch for this one.

Pours clouded golden with a thin head that soon becomes a small vanishing patch. No lacing sticks.

The smell is of blueberries - very strong on opening the bottle, though they subdue a bit after pouring. There is a grainy undertow, so it has something of a "beer" aroma (something lacking in many others of the style).

The taste is of blueberry - strong, but not overwhelming. There is a breadiness, but it doesn't quite make it to "blueberry muffin". There is a hop bitterness in the finish, which I want to give "kudos" on, because it is not something normally found in this style. It makes me want to like it more, but the blueberry (syrup), breadiness and bitterness just aren't working to give it a taste that I particilarly like. So, even though it is not necessarily "run-of-the mill", it really isn't more than mediocre to me. The finish isn't as long as in other American fruit beers, though it does linger a bit.

The first half was light-bodied with somewhat fizzy carbonation, but it died off, giving it something of a watery characteristic (over a pretty short time).

While I was hoping to like it more because there is something of a malt and hop something going on besides the (rather artificial blueberry syrup), it just doesn't work well enough to be more than mediocre to me. Glad I tried it - it's not bad, has potential.

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12ozer bought as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Label notched as best by Aug or Sept of an unknown year.

Poured into a Samuel Adam Boston Lager glass, formed a 1/2" bright white head over the almost clear golden amber brew. Head falls moderately quickly, with average lacing. Aroma is, yep, blueberries. Taste is sweet and tartly of blueberries, with a bitter close. Mouthfeel is okay, and drinkability is alright as well. Middle of the road for this one, blueberries dominate enough to shout "artificial", and there's not much beer character. Maybe that's the point?

3.77/5  rDev +13.2%

12oz. brown bottle, 6.157 stamped on the back label.

Bottle cap: “You’re gonna need a bigger beer” A rather inauspicious beginning and kind of curious as to why a brewer would put this on their bottle cap.

Bright straw. Towering head of slowly settling bone white bubbles. Several sluggish carbonation streams drift upwards. The head settles slowly and vanishes leaving no lacing. Blueberries and vanilla cream drift from the glass along with some light malt. The berry scent fades as it warms allowing the cream to take over. Blueberry for certain, but not in a sticky sweet way. It starts off distinctly blueberry and clean and then the modest malt body steps in. The vanilla cream notes fill out the finish as well as a slight hop bite to keep it from becoming cloying. Medium to light body, with plenty of carbonation. Refreshing and not cloying like other berry beers. This one was enjoyable despite the cream saver LifeSaver element which was unexpected.

Newport Storm Rhode Island Blueberry from Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.