Newport Storm Barrel-Aged Amber Ale - Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.

Newport Storm Barrel-Aged Amber Ale

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-17-2010

Reviews by Conrad:
3.33/5  rDev n/a

Had this on tap at KJ's Bar and Grill in Newport.
I'll not get too technical on this.
Appearance: clear, deep copper, no head, thin lacing.
Aroma: light malt, biscuit
Taste: finely balanced hops-malt, toast, light caramel
Mouthfeel: thin, crisp, low carbonation, no buzzz
Drinkability: very nice. Smooth. Yes, I would have another, especially if someone is buying.

4.07/5  rDev n/a

500th Review! Hell yeah!

On tap at the brewery, listed as Barrel Aged Amber Ale- Experimental. ~6oz pour into tulip.

"Barrel-aged Amber Ale. This experimental beer, which is only available in our Visitors Center, is our Hurricane Amber Ale with a twist. We have aged the beer in a freshly dumped rum barrel. Unlike most aged beers that are put in used bourbon barrels, our rum barrels add a spice and sweetness to the beer that makes it truly unique. We are experimenting with aging beers till we get it just right! Let us know what you think! - 8% abv"

(For those that do not know, Coastal Extreme also distills so the rum barrels they used were from their Thomas Tew rum.)

A- Pours a touch darker than the regular amber, not much of a head but some nice silky lacing on the tulip glass.

S- Aroma is vanilla and coconut sweetness, some molasses as well. There is a definite alcohol/boozy presence in the nose.

T- Boozy caramel and vanilla. Nice spiced rum flavors. The amber seems to kind of fade away and mesh into the rum notes, which, if you like rum, you'll enjoy a lot. I am not the biggest rum drinker out there but do enjoy the flavors the barrels bring to the beer.

M- A touch hot, but that's OK, not solventy or abrasive. Nice body to this one.

D- Fairly high, I wanted another pour, it's really easy to drink for 8%. Very tasty, I kept coming back. I know this prob. won't be brewed in any capacity for regular availability but I liked it. Hope to get to have it again.

Newport Storm Barrel-Aged Amber Ale from Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.