Night Cat - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Illinois, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Kevin_Young on 10-17-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 286 | Reviews: 44

4.17/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a deep dark brownish orange. Good wheaty haze but still a bright looking beer. A finger of an off white head that fades slowly and leaves a sticky lacing.

Smell: I am immediately greeted with citrus. A grassy smell but not musky like I usually find grassy smells. More of a pleasant grass. Not much else going on

Taste: opens up with a big maltiness. Wheat and some dark debittered malts. Just a touch chocolatey but not too much. Ends with a big smack of citrus. A very subtle tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: light and wheaty. Fairly refreshing for a darker beer. Low bitterness

Overall: a very pleasant and subtle beer. The only thing that is really lacking is the smell which I can understand due to the relaxed flavor profiles that make this beer good.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz can poured into a tulip. Pours a dark ruby/crimson with an off-white head with a tan tinge. Nice color and leaves nice lacing and retention. The aromas have a strong hop presence. Lots of orange zest and grapefruit. Some caramel malts along with some subtle wheat notes. Raisins and dark fruit. Some banana. The flavors are pretty sweet, but finishes with a solid bitterness. Lots of citrus. The hops really shine. Lots of orange. Some lime is in the mix as well. The wheat really takes a backseat, but it's there. It's a pretty clean and refreshing beer. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium-bodied. It's creamy and fluffy. Very smooth.

This is a pretty unique beer. I like it. It's worth checking out if given the opportunity. Solid use of citra hops.

I got a can of Two Brothers Brewing Company's Night Cat that Another6pack hooked me up with, Thanks a lot! A Dark Wheat beer brewed with Citra hops sounds pretty interesting and it's been a while since I've had a Dark Wheat Ale, so lets see how it goes. I couldn't decode the canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks looks nice, it's got a good design to it and it reminds me of some Tim Burton like designs. It poured a pretty clear mahogany/amber color that took on more of a crimson and ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half worth of off white/light tan head quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, but it could use just a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the hops being the first to show up and it's dominated by the Citra hops that impart a great citrus and tropical fruit like aroma with a slight piney and floral aroma in the background. Up next comes a light banana and slightly spicy aroma that I think may be from the yeast and it's followed by the malts that are on the lighter side and impart a light dark wheat aroma with some sweet malt aromas also coming through along with a light caramel aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, that Citra hops were really noticeable, but I wish more of that dark wheat base came through.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with the a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with the Citra hops still sticking out the most imparting those same aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time the floral and piney aspects are hardly noticeable. Up next comes that same light banana and spicy aspect that I think is from the yeast, but it's even lighter than it was in the aroma and it's followed by the malts which impart a very light dark wheat and caramel flavor with the sweet malts sticking out a little more than the rest. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium carbonation with a light caramel, and sweet malt aftertaste with the citra hops showing up the most. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, the hop profile is really nice, but I still wish the malt base stuck out a little more.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer, but I can't say it was the best example a Dark Wheat Ale simply because the malt base wasn't too noticeable and the Citra hops seemed to dominate the taste and aroma, but style aside I still thought this was a pretty enjoyable beer regardless of what style it's classified as. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention and I would drink another one if I had it and I wouldn't mind being able to drink a few of these, I think it would make for a nice spring time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the hop profile, there's no doubt that Citra was used in this beer, it's right up front in both the taste and aroma and it was just as fruity and juicy as I want Citra to be. What like the least about this beer was that the malt base didn't come through more, I would love to see more Dark wheat flavors and aromas to provide some balance to the citrus hops. I would buy this beer if I ever saw it and I would recommend it to anyone who likes beers brewed with Citra hops. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it wasn't completely perfect, but I still found it to be pretty enjoyable and I'm glad Another6pack gave me a chance to try it. This beer made for a good first impression for Two Brothers and I will for sure be on the look out for more of their beers. Good job guys, this was a very nice beer, keep up the good work.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Night Cat from Two Brothers Brewing Company