Irritated Koala - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Ratings: 68 | Reviews: 11
Reviews by Jordy777:
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz. bottle.
Medium deep amber; Very good and durable off-white head.

Medium-Light body with appropriate medium carbonation.

Aroma: Hops with a faint malt base.

The flavor is well balanced, with the well chosen hop load dominating. Fruity and floral. Refreshing mildly hoppy ale with a low bitterness level. Good sweet/bitter balance with near equal levels.

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Had to try this one as a serious tea nerd as well as beer nerd, so seeing it on Beef O’Brady’s menu had me excited.

Appearance: Dirty tea brown and amber. Light head and limited lace.

Aroma: Sweet tea and a hint of fruitiness. Really impressive and very unique.

Taste: Very much a musty black tea. A little hint of hops is present, but this is the penultimate hybrid of tea and beer. Description as “black IPA” on beefs menu seems inaccurate. This, to me, is a wholly new style of beer.

I would gladly buy a sixer of this one.

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Irritated Koala is one heck of an interesting beer. The beer poured a dark clear amber with white head. The scent had smoke, piney hops and slight tea presence. The taste was smoke in the front and back with piney hops in the middle. The mouthfeel was light to medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this was an interesting offering....but it would be tough to drink more than one of these at a sitting in my opinion. Definitely worth a try!

3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a very light brown with a slight red hue about it. No head to speak of, looks just like iced tea.

The aromas of black tea are very prevalent, but not overpowering, like a smooth cup of tea.

There is hint of sweetness coming from somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it, the bitterness of the black tea is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is light and way too thin for my taste. I don't really want to feel like I'm drinking tea while pounding back a cold one.

Overall, no I would not buy this again, but yes it is worth sampling for any tea fan.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Another new bomber from Two Brothers, this one a proclaimed 'smoked tea black IPA'. Not entirely sure what to expect. The label tells us that this beer is brewed with Lapsang Souchong, a smoked black tea.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark reddish mahogany colored body; more of a dark red ale than a black ale in appearance. Two fingers of frothy fluffy off-white head that leaves some nice thin lacing. Looks pretty nice.

S - The smell is a little faint, but the smoke / char / wood / licorice character seems most dominant. Some earthy piney hops & bready caramel malts buried beneath that.

T - The taste follows the nose - lightly smokey / char, earthy piney / grapefruit hops, and some bready malt.

M - The feel is smooth, fluid, and creamy. Medium-light bodied, with good carbonation. Very easy drinking.

Overall, a unique approach at a smoked beer / IPA hybrid type beer, but I'm not entirely sure "black IPA" is the right descriptor. Either way, the beer gets props for uniqueness, and good drinkability. Well worth the try.

Two Brothers Irritated Koala ---4/5.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Served from tap in a snifter at Bigby's Pour House - Rolling Meadows.

I had to try it. How could I not? Anyway, it pours a clear smoky topaz topped by a finger or so of glowing off-white foam. The nose comprises dark tea leaves (didn't come across as Lapsang Suchong to me, at least compared to the leaves I've got in a tin in the kitchen), mild pine resin, and light toast. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some sweet biscuit, mild treacle, and greens. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a silky-ish feel. Overall, an interesting black IPA, one that didn't rub me the same wrong way as most black IPAs do, but one that still didn't do it for me. It's not bad, but the flavors don't work well enough for me to ever want to have another any time soon.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Loved it, don't know why they retired it. Maybe it has a koala in the title

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Dark tea color with a relatively short head of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Citrus hop note, faint tea
Taste-Upfront dark tea essence, smoky, citrus, herbal hops, rather flat finish.
Unique flavor and complexity, but doesn't quite tie it all together.

Quite good if not great. I could taste the tea, my less koalafied friend could not. Unique black ipa. Thanks to Chris for gifting me this.

3.34/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Perhaps biased by the name, but to me the color reminded me of dark ice tea. 1/2 inch of nice head that stuck around a while. Again the smell as that of a sweet tea. Taste followed but with a nice slight bitterness. The hops imparted citrusy lemon flavor that resulted in a taste not unlike an Arnold Palmer with s bit of smoke. One of those interesting beers that I am glad I had but not one I need to enjoy more than once.

3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, no apparent freshness date, but fresh on the shelves this week
L - hazed copper-brown color with a thin, foamy beige head
S - tea, faint smoke, tropical citrus, caramel, toasty grain; different
T - tea, smoke, brown sugar, caramel, toasted grain, tropical citric hops, some roastiness is somewhat coffee-like as it warms
F - medium body, ample carbonation, finishes semi-dry with the smoked tea flavor lingering
O - just ok for me. I like its uniqueness, but I was hoping for more black ale qualities - darker in color, roasted barley and more dank bitterness - coupled with the addition of the smoked tea. Maybe expectations were set too high, but it was a bit of a disappointment as far as American Black Ales/Black IPA's/Cascadian Black Ales go.

Irritated Koala from Two Brothers Brewing Company