Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

A really dainty looking bottle. Hopefully the beer isn't wimpy like the label...

Spectacular looking beer. Bright orange-yellow color in the body with a creamy white head that does a little lacing. Cascades of carbonation bubbles rise up like a champagne, creating a really wonderful effect.

Aroma is sour. Wheaty. Grainy. Sour. Oh, did I mention that already?

A really pungent sour flavor. Yes, to be expected from this style from time to time, but the flavor actually tastes like I squeezed lemon in there. And by "in there" I mean in the fermented rice milk that I left out for three days.

Astringent and puckering mouthfeel, but the carbonation balance is nice.

Wow. I am not one to waste a beer, and I hate to be negative when a beer maker's craft, art and hard work result in the product...but that level of sour is way too much in a hefe.

2.01/5  rDev -45.4%

I brought a bottle of this back from Chicago last night, and boy am I anxious to try it. I pour it into a weisse glass and see that, as the label indicates, the somewhat pale weisse color is suffused with an orangish tint. The head is large and nearly white. It's not quite a Schneider head, but it's totally worthy, and it pillows beautifully into a whipped-cream cloud. The smell is extremely citrusy, reminding me of a witbier.

I take a taste and find that the lemon is indeed overdone. Way overdone. It tastes closer to a Blanche de Brooklyn than a weiss, but it's not as good as the blanche because the lemon is so overdone that it's starting to remind me of lemon drops! This is a textbook example of my axiom "When I taste that much lemon it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide." With each passing sip the sweetness disturbs me more and more. If it weren't for that sweetness I'd be less inclined to say that the lemon is overdone, but man... the finish is so lemony that a minute after a take a swallow I'm still puckering from the sweet/sour tang in the back of my mouth!

Aside from being way too lemon-droppy, it's not as full-bodied, chewy, and wheaty as a weissbier should be. These guys need to take some lessons from Schneider. I can barely even taste any yeast over this s**t. I'm not finishing this one. The ham-handed, clumsy way in which they throw the lemon around is really pissing me off.

2.12/5  rDev -42.4%

Bottle from sixer, picked up at Trader Joe's, with best-by date of 12/09/08.

Pours with a small, lousy white head. It had big bubbles while it lasted, fades to pretty much nothing fast. Gold with medium darkness, not very hazy and I had most of the yeast compact to the bottom of the bottle and not come out. Give the last ounce a swish for sure.

Raisins, bananas, and cloves on the nose, as well as some tart malt.

Taste is definitely tart, the yeast has a musty flavor I've observed in some homebrew, not sure to what it should be attributed. Some clove still evident in the background but mostly must and tartness, like soured dark fruit. The sourness is not very lemony, which is what I would have expected. Minimal wheat lurking beneath.

Medium bodied, sour and slightly sticky finish. Moderate carbonation.

There are lots of good hefeweizens out there, this isn't the greatest. Overly tart with little subtlety.

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very pale yellow color, straw yellow, with alright clarity, but it's all head, like a full glass on the first pour, so with subseuent pours it gets increasingly more hazy. It's big and dense and sticky as well, probably meaning that it will have a bit of lacing, but you can't really get into it with the size of the head. Which is a bit of a turn off. The smell is a bit sweet, pale grainy maltiness, just a tiny bit of tartness, which I think is a bit surprising. It doesn't smell quite right, only a tiny bit of banana/clove, but the out of the ordinary yeasty tartness, smells a tiny bit infected. The taste comes on with the tartness, and it actually tastes like a homebrew I made that got infected, but the infection still tastes in the young stage. It does say hefeweizen on the bottle, so this is definitely not right. I would never think this was a hefeweizen, maybe like a blend of a witbier and a saison. You can sense the wheat, but the other tastes are just quite a bit off. I do like the sweetness a bit, but it gets hard to find nice things to say when the style is just not right. I doubt if this was intentional, but I hope that they didn't want it to taste like this. Otherwise, I would imagine that this also was a bit unlike a hefeweizen without the off flavors. Not good. The body is nice and right, I mean a good body, with a nice rush of carbonation, the sweetness keeps the body at the right place. But I mean, I still feel the yeasty flavor here which isn't quite right. Something reminds me of liquid putty. The ABV isn't too high, of course any other Hefe isn't much higher. I'd call this drinkable, but no more so than any other. And the flavor isn't as enjoyable as I'd like it to be of course. I kind of found myself enjoying it for what it is (not what it's labelled), but I can't look past some of the failures.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

golden, like molsen claims to be. smells kind of wheaty and citrusy. taste is sweet and citrus tinged. lots of sour wheatiness too. like a european hefe, but tangier. tang is actually slightly off-putting. probably a refreshing beer in the summer, but i can't see buting it again to find out. one bottle in our sixer was very vinegary and terrible, but i won't hold that against the beer overall.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

A: cloudy tan body, trace head, absent lacing

S: big clove and hint of banana, wheat

T: big sweet wheat and lots of clove

M: light/med body, average carbonation, semi-dry finish

O: I'm usually a big fan of Hefeweizens, but this just doesn't do it for me. I love to support local breweries, but will pass on this again. The light body would make it good session/summer brew, but the taste on this one holds me at one.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Ebelweiss: very cloudy, with an orange haze. The aroma is very strong coming out of the bottle, with a very strong aroma of bananas. Very little head. Very unusual taste, starts out very strong with bready malts that gives way to a strong taste of yeast/bananas. Quite odd.

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

A: average white head that disappears quickly. Very little lacing.Totally cloudy and looks like apple juice.

S: Cloves and bready malt. Minor fruity smell (banana). Smells of a traditional german hef, just more subdued.

T: Wow, i'm surprised, and not in a good way. Nothing but a mild malt characteristic follows the nose. I am getting a little yeasty funk but there isn't much else here.

M: Watered down, below average carbonation. Tastes like a funky bud light.

O: Dissapointed for sure. I popped this today, sunny and 70 degrees, sat out on the deck, and was looking forward to a nice cold beer. It's good enough to finish, but I'm glad I only bought one. I'll move onto something better next.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured a Cloudy Lemonade yellow with huge sticky bone white head that hangs out longer then Oprah at a buffet.

First thing i though of after a good whiff is that it has some of the same aroma qualities as a weaker Saison Dupont but not tart, i think the Hay is giving me this impression. Aroma and Taste has Banana, Hay, yeast, and some clove hiding down there, and ever so slight citrus at the end.

There's alot of very good aromas and flavors, wish they were stronger though.

thin mouthfeel with a clean finish, could drink a 6er easily i bet.

2.89/5  rDev -21.5%

From notes…

Best By 3/14/05

Hazy because I agitated the yeast before pouring, pale gold in hue with warm tawny highlights. The head, on a hard pour, was only a finger in height. The white bubbles then quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. The liquid plays the part but the head size and retention are disappointing. There was no subsequent lacing. I’m picky with my Hefeweizens; so far this beer doesn’t live up to expectations. The nose clears up any worries that this beer is really an American Wheat in disguise. I can clearly smell bubblegum, raw (wet) wheat, hints of banana, clove, and some spicy residue. The bouquet said everything I wanted it too. I didn’t have to hunt any of the smells down either, the potency is moderate and this beer is plenty articulate. Needless to say it is inviting. The palate is flawed. It is too tart for a Bavarian Wheat. The acidic is too vocal and the clove and banana qualities are very quite. The true wheat flavors are at the back and they don’t shine until the shallow. Empty. Bad bottle? Bad beer? I haven’t been impressed with anything I’ve had from Two Brothers so I’m one to think this just isn’t a good beer. This beer has everything the style should, just in wrong amounts. The acidity should be softer and at the back, the wheat should be louder and more forward in the taste and the bubblegum, cloves, and banana should be rich and found throughout. I can’t say I’m disappointed in this beer because I didn’t have any expectations. Really though, this beer is lousy. Medium in body, the carbonation is way to low for the style. The mouthfeel is really lacking. It needs more bite. I didn’t find this beer to be drinkable. I love Hefeweizens; this one only pretends to be one. The nose was nice but it fell apart from there. Lousy. It will take some serious convincing to get me to try this beer again. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA. Not good.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Thanks to GDBEERMAN for the bottle

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best by 9/04/10

A - Pour is reminiscent of a dull, cloudy orange juice, with very little head and minimal retention; no lacing to speak of.

S - Nose is on the lighter side with clove predominantly, with some hints of banana and bubble gum.

T&M - What stands out the most to be is a lack of carbonation. This beer is lacking the "crispness" that I was looking for for the style, I was hoping that it would be made up with a bit of a tart edge in the flavor, but it wasn't.

Clove notes are dominant, with the banana and bubble gum taking a bit of a back seat. I was looking for more phenolic flavors. The yeast is certainly present, along with a bit of softness, presumably from wheat.

D - All around decent, but lacking in several areas very important to a hefeweizen. On the brighter sides, lower ABV and rather easy to imbibe.

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance - Cloudy, light-amber, with a golden yellow hue. Looks like foggy urine. Not the most appetizing color for a beer, but I'll take it. Looks heavily carbonated too.

Smell - Smells like beer - the stereotypical smell one would equate to beer. Grainy, subtle hints of aromatic hops, but not a lot to say.

Taste - Tastes heavily grainy, not as bitter as evident from the carbonation, but has a strange, smoky aftertaste to it. Not bad, but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The heavy carbonation stings a bit, and that's probably the beer's only glaring issue.

Ebel's Weiss is nowhere near the aesthetically sublime and delectable qualities set forth by Two Brothers' Domaine DuPage. It's my first Hefeweizen beer, but if this sets the course for the style, I'm not sure how active I will be in exploring it.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

It has a little bit of a citrus kick to it, and there's some maltiness hanging out in the aftertaste. It's not great, but it's not terrible by any means.

Yellow pour, has the average amount of haze to it, 1" head, but retention was subpar, lacing not impressive either. Aroma was heavy wheat bread, almost banana bread.

Taste, eh, just wasn't into it at any point, no particular bad flavor, but was just so pedestrian. Identifiable as a wheat beer. Nothing like the good tang of the better ones. More clove than I would care for, which is a very low bar to begin with for beerandraiderfan. Light body, even for a hefeweizen. Some kinda artificial lemon flavor seems to be there.

I dunno, just another beer to me. Indifferent.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Lewis13 from RB. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 4 1/2" off-white head over the cludy burnished gold brew. Head fades gradually but still holds with plenty of froth, and lacing sporadic and delicate. Aroma is wheat clovey, with tart touches. Taste follows the nose, although not as intense with the clove, and nary any banana, but with some hops bitterness discernable. Mouthfeel is gassy and somewhat thin, and drinkability is okay. Didn't get much out of this one to make me go shopping for it again anytime soon.

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%

Shocked and chagrined!

Two Brothers Brown Fox was one of the first beers I really fell in love with. And considering that I love hefe-weisse beer, I thought I had to give this a try. Don't make the same mistake.

It pours like day old champagne. The tiny lace dissipates quickly. Reminds me of stuff I used to play drinking games with. The "suspension" of yeast is disgusting; the beer's not uniformly cloudly, just filled with specks of crap. It smells good, but looks skunky.

Speaking of the smell, it's not bad -- somewhat estery with nice spices, a little sweet.

The primary taste is gumballs followed maybe by vanilla and clove. A lot of esters. No real balance or distinction to any of the flavors. Completely artificial.

This is the harshest microbrew I've had in my mouth to date. It feels a little like Miller Genuine Draft, not as bad as Icehouse. Very sharp and piercing, over carbonated . . . what the hell is going on here?

I'm going to finish my six pack, keep buying Brown Fox Ale for sessions, and never think about this beer again. It's drinkable, but not really a hefe at all. It has no body, no character, no sophisitication. As a hefe-head, I was insulted.

Relax, relax.

3.02/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance- Pours an awesome , brisk head with good retention and awesome bubbling and awesome brussels lace left after each sip. Color was a muted yellow with light amber notes.

Smell- Lots of wheat infused lemons with a sprig of sage and clove.

Taste- The tartest tasting weiss I've ever had. It was a not so great mix of typical weiss taste and lemons. Das war nicht so gut. Starts out wheat and good with some bubble gum and ginger.

Mouthfeel- Too dry and tart to be a repeatable weiss.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: It's a light golden color. Slightly cloudy. Head is a modest one finger. Very short retention and light lacing.

Smell: It's a decent mix of earthy and spicy aromas. It has a typical wheat-grainy smell to it. Spiciness is primarily clove with some banana and light citrus notes mixed in.

Taste: The spicy clove and banana flavors are the main features. It has a grainy taste (as well as feel) to it. Some citrus flavors are noticeable, but they are faint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and goes down pretty smooth. I just find it hard to drink more simply because it's just an okay beer. Overall, it's okay but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a super hazy orange color with tons of tiny bobbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Very little head and almost no lacing.

I can smell bananas from two feet away. Heavy banana and some yeasty notes sweet and fresh smelling. Also some vanilla bean. I don't smell a whole lot else here.

The banana is right up front in the taste, some sweet earthy yeast comes through as well. I also get a very muted vanilla flavor along with subtle hints of clove.

Big downer in the mouthfeel, there is almost no carbonation. The brew tastes great, but where are the bubbles? Feels thin and flat on the tongue. The complete lack of carbonation ruined this one for me.

Once again, drinkability is seriously crippled due to the carbonation issue. More bubbles and this brew would be a summer staple.

I may have had a bad bottle, I will revisit this one.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

A fairly lackluster attempt at the style. The beer pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden with minimal fluff to the head. Aromas, and flavors of clove are present but muted at best. An annoying sour-ball lemon flavor lingers on the finish and kills off the clove and banana notes trying to come forward. A drinkable yet rather boring offering.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: A light yellow straw-like color with a fair head on top.

Smell: A little bit of citrus and yeast.

Taste: Light and a little bit of citrus but sometimes has a little bit of a metallic finish. Not as sweet as some other Hefe Weizens It doesn't have as much flavor as I would have liked.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light consistency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A fair hefe weizen on the lighter side. It is tastes good but is not a hefe weizen of choice but rather one that I would have if there weren't better options available.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a hazy rust orange with two fingers of thick snow-white head. Even over a foot away from my face I instantly smell banana, bubblegum, vanilla, and pepper. I'm surprised at first taste that for all the aroma there is very little flavor. The only thing really notable is a bit of vanilla and bitter grapefruit aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty watery and perhaps a little sugary for my taste. Easy enough to drink, but not very compelling.

The incredible aromas teased me but the blandness of it all ends up being a disappointment.

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. poured into weizen glass

Appearance: Cloudy yellow orange with minimal head.

Smell: Orange and banana right away followed by a sweet breadiness. Some spice follows up the fruity, floral initial smell.

Taste: Yep, it's a hefeweizen. I don't know why I keep trying this style, I just don't like it. But I will review objectively...sweet fruits such as orange, banana, and pineapple are followed by biscuit like malts and then sour funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Body on the lighter side, low carbonation, makes my mouth water.

Drinkability: Low ABV, but way too sweet for my liking.

Overall: I love Two Brothers and this is probably a decent take on the style but I can't stomach it. That being said, I'm not a rich man so I will drink it all. Drain pours be damned! If you like hefeweizens I would at least suggest trying this and see what you think.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured a yellow, straw color with a small, faint head. Initial smell is of strong floral, I could not pick up any fruity/banana smell. Initial taste is of light honey with a strong corn flavor that sticks. The mouthfeel is much of the honey/corn feel, but it is very drinkable. Finishes very smooth.

Notes. Probably a good summer beer, picked up a single at Blue Max just to try a Two Bros. A lemon, 90 degrees and a deck, this would rate better.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Pale gold and hazy with a nice one finger head. Not as much rolling foam as I would expect from a hefe.

A big wallop of green banana and cloves are right up front. Dry grassy smell like a field of dry dead grass. A slightly vegetal smell is present...and unwelcome.

Tastes very much like it smells. Clove and green banana predominate, with hints of bubblegum and nice dry finish.

This is a weird hefe for sure. It has the pre-requisite flavors all right, but they just don't seem to be balanced. This is very acidic and not as sweet as most hefes. It's not all bad, but it doens't appeal to my tastes and it seems a bit off for the style.

Ebel's Weiss Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company