Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002)
BGsWo22

vinny21bal

12-02-2013 01:12:32 | More by vinny21bal
cnally

1.68/5  rDev -54.1%

A really dainty looking bottle. Hopefully the beer isn't wimpy like the label...

Spectacular looking beer. Bright orange-yellow color in the body with a creamy white head that does a little lacing. Cascades of carbonation bubbles rise up like a champagne, creating a really wonderful effect.

Aroma is sour. Wheaty. Grainy. Sour. Oh, did I mention that already?

A really pungent sour flavor. Yes, to be expected from this style from time to time, but the flavor actually tastes like I squeezed lemon in there. And by "in there" I mean in the fermented rice milk that I left out for three days.

Astringent and puckering mouthfeel, but the carbonation balance is nice.

Wow. I am not one to waste a beer, and I hate to be negative when a beer maker's craft, art and hard work result in the product...but that level of sour is way too much in a hefe.

02-24-2010 02:00:58 | More by cnally
Weissenheimer

1.93/5  rDev -47.3%

I brought a bottle of this back from Chicago last night, and boy am I anxious to try it. I pour it into a weisse glass and see that, as the label indicates, the somewhat pale weisse color is suffused with an orangish tint. The head is large and nearly white. It's not quite a Schneider head, but it's totally worthy, and it pillows beautifully into a whipped-cream cloud. The smell is extremely citrusy, reminding me of a witbier.

I take a taste and find that the lemon is indeed overdone. Way overdone. It tastes closer to a Blanche de Brooklyn than a weiss, but it's not as good as the blanche because the lemon is so overdone that it's starting to remind me of lemon drops! This is a textbook example of my axiom "When I taste that much lemon it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide." With each passing sip the sweetness disturbs me more and more. If it weren't for that sweetness I'd be less inclined to say that the lemon is overdone, but man... the finish is so lemony that a minute after a take a swallow I'm still puckering from the sweet/sour tang in the back of my mouth!

Aside from being way too lemon-droppy, it's not as full-bodied, chewy, and wheaty as a weissbier should be. These guys need to take some lessons from Schneider. I can barely even taste any yeast over this s**t. I'm not finishing this one. The ham-handed, clumsy way in which they throw the lemon around is really pissing me off.

12-30-2003 00:57:21 | More by Weissenheimer
Bernardkowalski

02-23-2013 02:34:22 | More by Bernardkowalski
semihobo

2.1/5  rDev -42.6%

Bottle from sixer, picked up at Trader Joe's, with best-by date of 12/09/08.

Pours with a small, lousy white head. It had big bubbles while it lasted, fades to pretty much nothing fast. Gold with medium darkness, not very hazy and I had most of the yeast compact to the bottom of the bottle and not come out. Give the last ounce a swish for sure.

Raisins, bananas, and cloves on the nose, as well as some tart malt.

Taste is definitely tart, the yeast has a musty flavor I've observed in some homebrew, not sure to what it should be attributed. Some clove still evident in the background but mostly must and tartness, like soured dark fruit. The sourness is not very lemony, which is what I would have expected. Minimal wheat lurking beneath.

Medium bodied, sour and slightly sticky finish. Moderate carbonation.

There are lots of good hefeweizens out there, this isn't the greatest. Overly tart with little subtlety.

09-07-2008 01:36:42 | More by semihobo
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

2.17/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours a very pale yellow color, straw yellow, with alright clarity, but it's all head, like a full glass on the first pour, so with subseuent pours it gets increasingly more hazy. It's big and dense and sticky as well, probably meaning that it will have a bit of lacing, but you can't really get into it with the size of the head. Which is a bit of a turn off. The smell is a bit sweet, pale grainy maltiness, just a tiny bit of tartness, which I think is a bit surprising. It doesn't smell quite right, only a tiny bit of banana/clove, but the out of the ordinary yeasty tartness, smells a tiny bit infected. The taste comes on with the tartness, and it actually tastes like a homebrew I made that got infected, but the infection still tastes in the young stage. It does say hefeweizen on the bottle, so this is definitely not right. I would never think this was a hefeweizen, maybe like a blend of a witbier and a saison. You can sense the wheat, but the other tastes are just quite a bit off. I do like the sweetness a bit, but it gets hard to find nice things to say when the style is just not right. I doubt if this was intentional, but I hope that they didn't want it to taste like this. Otherwise, I would imagine that this also was a bit unlike a hefeweizen without the off flavors. Not good. The body is nice and right, I mean a good body, with a nice rush of carbonation, the sweetness keeps the body at the right place. But I mean, I still feel the yeasty flavor here which isn't quite right. Something reminds me of liquid putty. The ABV isn't too high, of course any other Hefe isn't much higher. I'd call this drinkable, but no more so than any other. And the flavor isn't as enjoyable as I'd like it to be of course. I kind of found myself enjoying it for what it is (not what it's labelled), but I can't look past some of the failures.

10-07-2009 22:17:20 | More by taylorhamrick

12-04-2011 22:33:52 | More by barnzy78
aforbes10

Iowa

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

golden, like molsen claims to be. smells kind of wheaty and citrusy. taste is sweet and citrus tinged. lots of sour wheatiness too. like a european hefe, but tangier. tang is actually slightly off-putting. probably a refreshing beer in the summer, but i can't see buting it again to find out. one bottle in our sixer was very vinegary and terrible, but i won't hold that against the beer overall.

03-27-2006 17:53:08 | More by aforbes10
BeerLover99

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

A: cloudy tan body, trace head, absent lacing

S: big clove and hint of banana, wheat

T: big sweet wheat and lots of clove

M: light/med body, average carbonation, semi-dry finish

O: I'm usually a big fan of Hefeweizens, but this just doesn't do it for me. I love to support local breweries, but will pass on this again. The light body would make it good session/summer brew, but the taste on this one holds me at one.

NOT MY BAG, PASS

05-21-2011 13:49:02 | More by BeerLover99
jackndan

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Ebelweiss: very cloudy, with an orange haze. The aroma is very strong coming out of the bottle, with a very strong aroma of bananas. Very little head. Very unusual taste, starts out very strong with bready malts that gives way to a strong taste of yeast/bananas. Quite odd.

01-12-2003 11:52:35 | More by jackndan
rrski198

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

A: average white head that disappears quickly. Very little lacing.Totally cloudy and looks like apple juice.

S: Cloves and bready malt. Minor fruity smell (banana). Smells of a traditional german hef, just more subdued.

T: Wow, i'm surprised, and not in a good way. Nothing but a mild malt characteristic follows the nose. I am getting a little yeasty funk but there isn't much else here.

M: Watered down, below average carbonation. Tastes like a funky bud light.

O: Dissapointed for sure. I popped this today, sunny and 70 degrees, sat out on the deck, and was looking forward to a nice cold beer. It's good enough to finish, but I'm glad I only bought one. I'll move onto something better next.

04-08-2011 16:36:46 | More by rrski198