Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%

Cloudy amber/yellow color with a 1 finger head. Has a tart citrusy wheat malt smell. Light bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated. Has a tart, citrusy taste with a fresh cooked grain flavor. Finishes very crisp and clean. A pretty good weiss here. (258 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a long neck brown bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy golden color with a thick creamy white foam head that dissipated slowly and left a cloudy white peak. Looks like good Hefeweizen should. Don't forget to swirl the yeast into the beer when pouring to get the most of the flavors.

Smell: That good Hefeweizen yeast profile of banana, clove and bubblegum with a sweet wheaty profile underneath.

Taste: A very good American interpretation of a German Hefe. Reminds of many of the Hefe's I had while traveling around Germany years ago...and that's quite a compliment. Sweet and wheaty with a good yeast that provides mild phenols and flavors of banana, bubblegum, lemons and clove.

Mouth feel: Medium-bodied and slippery on the tongue. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Another good one from Chicago's Two Brothers Brewing (I love their Cane & Ebel Rye beer). This is a very straight forward American interpretation of a good German Hefeweizen, and I appreciate that. I like Hefe's and I expect a simple deliciousness to them, and this one is a very good example of that. Will definitely buy more for the summer. (1,147 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm really not sure why everyone else is giving this such bad reviews. I find this weiss quite refreshing, smooth and creamy.

It pours a classic hazy golden weiss color with a quick head that probably disappears a bit more quickly than a real German Weiss.

Smell is strong banana and other phenols with a little clove and some barnyard mixed in. The barnyard turned me off a little.

The taste is not extreme. Some banana, touch of clove, and some lemon. I thought it was a nice refreshing lighter beer. I suppose I understand the "thin" comments this gets.

Mouthfeel is creamy and light and goes down well.

I think this would make a great lawnmower quaffer or for sitting out on a hot day. (707 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Thanks to GDBEERMAN for the bottle

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best by 9/04/10

A - Pour is reminiscent of a dull, cloudy orange juice, with very little head and minimal retention; no lacing to speak of.

S - Nose is on the lighter side with clove predominantly, with some hints of banana and bubble gum.

T&M - What stands out the most to be is a lack of carbonation. This beer is lacking the "crispness" that I was looking for for the style, I was hoping that it would be made up with a bit of a tart edge in the flavor, but it wasn't.

Clove notes are dominant, with the banana and bubble gum taking a bit of a back seat. I was looking for more phenolic flavors. The yeast is certainly present, along with a bit of softness, presumably from wheat.

D - All around decent, but lacking in several areas very important to a hefeweizen. On the brighter sides, lower ABV and rather easy to imbibe. (899 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - very clear, not cloudy at all

S - very fruity, bananas

T - very fruity. banana taste? It comes from the yeast they use. This is much more fruity than other beers of this style.

M - slight carbonation, not too much

O - pretty solid if you enjoy this style. if you don't care for fruity flavor then stay away (314 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

Picked up a sixer at Beverage Barn in Westhampton, NY. Bottle was then poured into traditional Hefe glassware.

A: Semi-aggressive pour produced a supremely disappointing little to no head with absolutely zero lace to speak of. Beer settled a hazy golden color with plenty of sediment.

S: Nose is mostly that of a typical German Hefe style. Lots of banana, clove and lemon citrus. What differentiates this beer from others is its inclusion of very detectable vanilla undertones, which add a nice aroma to the mix.

T: Bready to begin with and then a sudden burst of dominating lemon sourness mixed with vanilla, clove spice and banana. Not well balanced at all as the wheat finds itself completely overpowered.

M: Medium bodied with little to no carbonation...Maybe I got a bad bottle?

O: While this beer isn't terrible, its not great either. With so many superior choices in this style, I won't be grabbing this one again anytime soon. (942 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Hazy straw-colored body with only a finger of white head with a pretty aggressive pour that recedes to a thin, lumpy layer quickly.
S: Clove, vanilla, yeast, maybe some banana.
T: Banana is the most prevalent flavor, clove and a little lemony citrus in the finish. It's very sweet.
M: Lighter bodied, not much carbonation, slick feeling. Finishes crisp, dry.
D: It goes down easily, and would make an ok session beer because of the low ABV, but it's too sweet for my taste. It's a good take on the style but I've had others that I enjoy a lot more. (591 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Got this as a gift, looks promising. Served in a nonic.

A: Hazy, orange-gold color with a thing white line on the sides of the glass, that's about as far as it got for head and lacing.

S: Wheat, bit of citrus, but mostly grains

T: Fairly sweet, has floral and citrus qualities to it, tastes of yeast, wheat, malt sugars, and barley. Smooth and delicious flavor.

M: Medium amounts of carbonation, balanced fairly well with its sweet, floral flavors, has a fairly rich feel to it unusual for a light colored beer.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, good sweetness combined, fresh flavors, well worth a try (608 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a tall Paulaner stemmed glass from a 12oz'er bottle. Pours a medium yellow with a slight haze. Very thin, white head and no discernable lacing. Nose is very spicy, with ripe banana and pear notes. Mellowed with a little bit of vanilla, perhaps? Smells great. Palate is dead on with good clove spiciness and fruitiness asserting itself ... bananas, pears and pineapple. Interesting characteristic - this one almost has a little bit of over-ripe, slightly fermented pineapple flavor going on. Not at all unpleasant, just unexpected. Adds some character to this otherwise typical hefe. Finishes clean and slightly tart. Thin mothfeel and pretty heavily carbonated. I like this one - again, it has a very unusual tart flavor I didn't anticipate. Maybe I need to check the age of this bottle, but it's not a bad thing. Good one from Two Brothers ... try it, I say. (871 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%

It has been years since I first drank this beer, and at the time I thought this beer was disgusting. I have decided to give it another chance...

I poured this 12 oz. beer into a weizen glass.

A: misty pale golden color, the white head died down quickly but left a decent cap and lacing in place.

S: primarily clove, then bubble gum, and finally banana, also a healthy dose of Germanic yeast funk, underneath there is a wheat bread aroma and a pleasant minerality.

T: the sweet bread up front is very soft, along with the clove, in the middle the clove rises first, quickly greeted by a healthy dose of bubblegum and banana, the finish is bright, floral, and again features a mineral note. I can't believe my palate has changed so radically that a beer I once thought was disgusting I now find quite nice.

M: light to medium weight, creaminess, and healthy carbonation all contribute to a very nice mouthfeel.

D: I am so glad I decided to give this beer another chance. Does that mean I might also like Rolling Rock now, after all these years?... (1,052 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very yummy... This beer billows with banana and bubblegum esters, atop a tastefully understated mix of clove and coriander. While nothing particularly stands out, that's not exactly a bad thing - this actually drinks like a hefeweizen. (236 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Hazy pale golden color with a thick, moussy white head that lasted for a while before eventually disappearing completely.

Smell: Moderate clove phenols. An almost overwhelming medicinal quality permeates the aroma. Barely picking up any of the banana fruity esters that usually define a Hef - the phenols and medicinal parts dominate.

Taste: Somewhat more balanced than the smell - the clove and banana are a little more in harmony here. Also picking up a light vanilla character that nicely accentuates the banana flavor.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Light bodied and a little watery. Highly carbonated and effervescent. Easy drinking and certainly sessionable. (709 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

On-tap served in pint glass (no lemon!!)

A: Slightly hazy bright yellow. Two finger fizzy white head dissipates to a thin white head, leaving pretty good lacing. Not a great head for a Hefe.

S: Strong banana and spices.

T: Follows the nose a little bit. Starts off with a strong banana flavor, then moves to a more bubblegum-type flavor. There's a bit of yeast and wheat twang after that and finishes nice and spicy. This brew is really packed full of the good Hefe-flavors!

M: Bit on the lighter side, but still creamy. I prefer my Hefes more frothing and creamy, but this one ain't too bad.

O: Solid offering. The flavor and nose are excellent. The head and the mouth are lacking a tad, though. It's not as good as some its German brethren, but definitely well above average thanks to the great taste. (808 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass at approximately 40 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a bright and sunny straw gold, mildly cloudy beneath a fluffy white head.

Smell: Fruit and spice drifting above a ripe wheat field, redolent with notes of banana and clove. This is one of the first US "hefeweizens" I've smelled that has given me hope that I'm actually about to taste a traditional hefe.

Taste: Tradition confirmed. This beer billows with banana and bubblegum esters, atop a tastefully understated mix of clove and coriander. While nothing particularly stands out, that's not exactly a bad thing - this actually drinks like a hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel: Light while bordering on creamy, this is a quaffable brew!

Overall: I am quite pleased to have found another US version of a hefeweizen that is not a pale wheat ale with a misleading title. Will definitely repeat. (872 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -20%

Appearance - Cloudy, light-amber, with a golden yellow hue. Looks like foggy urine. Not the most appetizing color for a beer, but I'll take it. Looks heavily carbonated too.

Smell - Smells like beer - the stereotypical smell one would equate to beer. Grainy, subtle hints of aromatic hops, but not a lot to say.

Taste - Tastes heavily grainy, not as bitter as evident from the carbonation, but has a strange, smoky aftertaste to it. Not bad, but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The heavy carbonation stings a bit, and that's probably the beer's only glaring issue.

Ebel's Weiss is nowhere near the aesthetically sublime and delectable qualities set forth by Two Brothers' Domaine DuPage. It's my first Hefeweizen beer, but if this sets the course for the style, I'm not sure how active I will be in exploring it. (814 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a hefe glass.

A - Pours a bright yet cloudy orangish color with a snow white one finger head that last for a bit before settling into a nice ring around the glass.

S - Ah, a hefe. It's been awhile, old friend. Clove and bananas. Lots of that good yeasty spice. Not overbearing.

T - Much like the smell. Yeasty spices with emphasis on the cinimon, with the orange peel and banana taking it down. Not strong in flavor at all. If I could improve it, I would kick everything up a notch. Other than that, it's very good.

M - Nothing to write home about, but decent. It's a tad thin and could use a few more bubbles.

D - The best part of this beer. It doesn't have the "wow" factor of a lot of beers, but it is certainly good and doesn't offend. Would be easy to drink a dozen of these things.

Thanks to nucular george for the chance to try this beer. (889 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -42.7%

Bottle from sixer, picked up at Trader Joe's, with best-by date of 12/09/08.

Pours with a small, lousy white head. It had big bubbles while it lasted, fades to pretty much nothing fast. Gold with medium darkness, not very hazy and I had most of the yeast compact to the bottom of the bottle and not come out. Give the last ounce a swish for sure.

Raisins, bananas, and cloves on the nose, as well as some tart malt.

Taste is definitely tart, the yeast has a musty flavor I've observed in some homebrew, not sure to what it should be attributed. Some clove still evident in the background but mostly must and tartness, like soured dark fruit. The sourness is not very lemony, which is what I would have expected. Minimal wheat lurking beneath.

Medium bodied, sour and slightly sticky finish. Moderate carbonation.

There are lots of good hefeweizens out there, this isn't the greatest. Overly tart with little subtlety. (922 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I generally love Two Brother's beers but this one just wasn't that amazing. I would drink it again but I would not seek it out. I would call this decent, but not memorable.

Poured into a wheat beer glass Ebel is quite flat looking. It's tough to conjure up some head and when I do it's over before you know it - I guess that's more accurate now that I write it down!

Aroma is decent with very soft smells of vanilla, clove, and allspice perhaps. Not bad overall.

The flavor is really lacking in this beer. Everything else can be off but flavor must be right on for me to like the beer. This beer has a watery flavor. There is no banana and no powerful clove. The only thing you really taste is any prominence is water.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick for the style. Yes, wheats should have some body and some viscosity due in part to the unfermentable sugars but this one is just WAY too thick. I think they ended up messing up the chilling process because it seems that the proteins came out of solution.

Drinkability is high because it's very watery. I have to put down 1/3 of the beer to taste it. I am quite dissappointed in this beer. (1,141 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a super hazy orange color with tons of tiny bobbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Very little head and almost no lacing.

I can smell bananas from two feet away. Heavy banana and some yeasty notes sweet and fresh smelling. Also some vanilla bean. I don't smell a whole lot else here.

The banana is right up front in the taste, some sweet earthy yeast comes through as well. I also get a very muted vanilla flavor along with subtle hints of clove.

Big downer in the mouthfeel, there is almost no carbonation. The brew tastes great, but where are the bubbles? Feels thin and flat on the tongue. The complete lack of carbonation ruined this one for me.

Once again, drinkability is seriously crippled due to the carbonation issue. More bubbles and this brew would be a summer staple.

I may have had a bad bottle, I will revisit this one. (851 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours out a translucent pale yellow color, with LOTS of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Of course, I made sure I dredged up all of that yeasty goodness. Freshness on the bottle says best before 5/1/11, and it was part of a Two Brother's variety pack from the local warehouse club store. Anyway, beer smells wonderful with lots of estery banana, vanilla, and clove aromas. The taste is more up front clove and smooth banana-like finish, backed by some tartness, perhaps from the hops. To me this beer is about as good as any Hefeweizen I have ever tried from any country. I suppose one could travel to Bavaria and find something better but since freshness is everything I will stick to domestic varieties and in fact, this is the second local brewer I feel has nailed it, other one is Mickey Finn's in Libertyville, IL. The mouth feel is full and rich, slightly carbonated but that contributes to the drinkability, especially on a warm summer day I'm thinking...I have been sampling several Two Brother's Brews lately and overall I'm extremely pleased. I might just end up going on an outing one of these days to Warrenville....hmm. (1,134 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a golden, straw, orange color…hazily transparent, I can see a few bubbles bubbling up…some head formed when upon pouring, but nothing really reamians…could use a little life…(3.25/5)

Smell: Sweet, floral/herbal, vanilla, banana and clove…wheat, a touch of citrus (lemon and orange), yeast, grass…very malt based…smells like a classic Belgian style whit ale…lively and nice…(4/5)

Taste: Hefeweizen yeast, green banana, light/pale malts, wheat, a bit of bubblegum and clove…there’s an overall sweetness about it that’s nice…it’s not overly complex, but a refreshing brew that brings tons of flavor to the palate…light and mildly zesty, I’ve never had anything with banana in it that I’ve liked as much as this…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation…it definitely fluffs up a bunch bringing banana, yeast and light lemon bitterness to the palate…refreshing, light…(3.75/5)

Overall: This is a good brew…summertime, backyard barbeque, watching the Cubs day game on the porch TV (think college), hanging out with friends and hotdogs – this beer was made for those occasions…it’s light, refreshing, flavorful and super drinkable…definitely worth trying if you like this style or are looking to expand your horizons…(3.5/5) (1,306 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle from Half Time poured a cloudy gold with a lasting creamy white head. Aromas of wheat, yeast, bubblegum, banana and clove. Palate was medium bodied and crisp. Flavors of wheat, yeast, bubblegum, light banana and clove with a crisp lingering bubblegum finish. (265 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a hazy rust orange with two fingers of thick snow-white head. Even over a foot away from my face I instantly smell banana, bubblegum, vanilla, and pepper. I'm surprised at first taste that for all the aroma there is very little flavor. The only thing really notable is a bit of vanilla and bitter grapefruit aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty watery and perhaps a little sugary for my taste. Easy enough to drink, but not very compelling.

The incredible aromas teased me but the blandness of it all ends up being a disappointment. (540 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a big, bubbly head on a cloudy light orange body. Looked like an orange cream soda. Smells were fairly faint...clove, fruit, touch of vanilla, and a hint of "wheatiness". Taste was interesting. Initial hop, then a quick spike of vanilla, then orange, a twang, and then a vanilla aftertaste. Did that same pattern all the way through. Not nearly as thick as other hefe's, but it had a decent coat, and was fairly smooth. Its a pretty good beer. I'm not sure if I'd like it the same again, as that vanilla touch is something I may or may not like depending on the day. It just so happened that on the day I tried it, I liked it. (697 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +25.7%

On tap at Fountainhead

Poured cloudy orange/yellow, small head. Smelled of typical hefe: banana, yeast, fruity.

Taste was excellent. Banana and fruity going in with wheaty/yeasty aftertaste. No bitterness whatsoever. Creamy mouthfeel with slight carbonation.

Overall great great hefe, one of my favorites. I grab this whenever I can. This has a permanent place in my fridge.

EDIT: I bumped the taste points up to 5 after several re-drinks. This is the beer I compare all wheat/whit styles to. I just love this beer! (520 characters)

Ebel's Weiss Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company