Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Ebel's Weiss BeerEbel's Weiss Beer

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a golden, straw, orange color…hazily transparent, I can see a few bubbles bubbling up…some head formed when upon pouring, but nothing really reamians…could use a little life…(3.25/5)

Smell: Sweet, floral/herbal, vanilla, banana and clove…wheat, a touch of citrus (lemon and orange), yeast, grass…very malt based…smells like a classic Belgian style whit ale…lively and nice…(4/5)

Taste: Hefeweizen yeast, green banana, light/pale malts, wheat, a bit of bubblegum and clove…there’s an overall sweetness about it that’s nice…it’s not overly complex, but a refreshing brew that brings tons of flavor to the palate…light and mildly zesty, I’ve never had anything with banana in it that I’ve liked as much as this…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation…it definitely fluffs up a bunch bringing banana, yeast and light lemon bitterness to the palate…refreshing, light…(3.75/5)

Overall: This is a good brew…summertime, backyard barbeque, watching the Cubs day game on the porch TV (think college), hanging out with friends and hotdogs – this beer was made for those occasions…it’s light, refreshing, flavorful and super drinkable…definitely worth trying if you like this style or are looking to expand your horizons…(3.5/5)

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Bottle from Half Time poured a cloudy gold with a lasting creamy white head. Aromas of wheat, yeast, bubblegum, banana and clove. Palate was medium bodied and crisp. Flavors of wheat, yeast, bubblegum, light banana and clove with a crisp lingering bubblegum finish.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a hazy rust orange with two fingers of thick snow-white head. Even over a foot away from my face I instantly smell banana, bubblegum, vanilla, and pepper. I'm surprised at first taste that for all the aroma there is very little flavor. The only thing really notable is a bit of vanilla and bitter grapefruit aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty watery and perhaps a little sugary for my taste. Easy enough to drink, but not very compelling.

The incredible aromas teased me but the blandness of it all ends up being a disappointment.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a big, bubbly head on a cloudy light orange body. Looked like an orange cream soda. Smells were fairly faint...clove, fruit, touch of vanilla, and a hint of "wheatiness". Taste was interesting. Initial hop, then a quick spike of vanilla, then orange, a twang, and then a vanilla aftertaste. Did that same pattern all the way through. Not nearly as thick as other hefe's, but it had a decent coat, and was fairly smooth. Its a pretty good beer. I'm not sure if I'd like it the same again, as that vanilla touch is something I may or may not like depending on the day. It just so happened that on the day I tried it, I liked it.

3.49/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle. 8/23/15 code date. Appearance: Cloudy light golden, with minimal white head, especially for style. Aroma: Banana is strong, with some clove as well. Typical weizen yeast. Taste: Sweet, grainy maltiness, with a hint of banana and strong clove. Bitterness is minimal. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a slight creaminess and slickness in the tongue. Carbonation is low for the style. Finish: Banane esters and clove phenols linger retro nasally long after the swallow. Overall: Great weizen yeast character. This serving is under carbonated for the style, but well wishing code date on bottle. Tastes good but a bit overly sweet, almost cloying

4.65/5  rDev +26.4%

On tap at Fountainhead

Poured cloudy orange/yellow, small head. Smelled of typical hefe: banana, yeast, fruity.

Taste was excellent. Banana and fruity going in with wheaty/yeasty aftertaste. No bitterness whatsoever. Creamy mouthfeel with slight carbonation.

Overall great great hefe, one of my favorites. I grab this whenever I can. This has a permanent place in my fridge.

EDIT: I bumped the taste points up to 5 after several re-drinks. This is the beer I compare all wheat/whit styles to. I just love this beer!

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. poured into weizen glass

Appearance: Cloudy yellow orange with minimal head.

Smell: Orange and banana right away followed by a sweet breadiness. Some spice follows up the fruity, floral initial smell.

Taste: Yep, it's a hefeweizen. I don't know why I keep trying this style, I just don't like it. But I will review objectively...sweet fruits such as orange, banana, and pineapple are followed by biscuit like malts and then sour funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Body on the lighter side, low carbonation, makes my mouth water.

Drinkability: Low ABV, but way too sweet for my liking.

Overall: I love Two Brothers and this is probably a decent take on the style but I can't stomach it. That being said, I'm not a rich man so I will drink it all. Drain pours be damned! If you like hefeweizens I would at least suggest trying this and see what you think.

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours clear gold win a small white head dissipates quickly, smells yeasty malty and of wheat, taste brings a sharp bitterness up front smoothed by biscuity malt with for a smooth lasting finish.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a nice cloudy, pale golden, with a bit less of a head than I would have expected from the style. Head quickly dissipates, leaving only moderate lacing. Nice, classic hefeweiss aroma, featuring bubblegum, bananas, and cloves. Taste features classic aspects of the style, but maybe just a shade more restrained than I would prefer. Mouthfeel is very good, featuring a very smooth roundness, and a nice level of carbonation. This is an extremely drinkable take on one of my favorite styles, and it might in fact be one of the premiere examples of the style done by an American brewer.

Poured from the tap into a 16oz Ebel's Weiss glass. On special at the local steakhouse.

Appearance was a light orange color and a straw head that remained for the required amount of time for a hefe.
Smells were of the banana-tangerine-yeast aromas.
Tastes were bold and crisp, with a sharp sourness I appreciate and the fruit balances itself out as the yeast takes over. The strong wheat flavor is present too.
Drinkable and smooth, tasty to the end.

I appreciate The Two Brothers for this one because it is compared to the Germans, and it should be, because as an unfiltered Weissbier it is difficult to find a comparable American Made Hefe that matches up.

Good work, Jason.

2.01/5  rDev -45.4%

I brought a bottle of this back from Chicago last night, and boy am I anxious to try it. I pour it into a weisse glass and see that, as the label indicates, the somewhat pale weisse color is suffused with an orangish tint. The head is large and nearly white. It's not quite a Schneider head, but it's totally worthy, and it pillows beautifully into a whipped-cream cloud. The smell is extremely citrusy, reminding me of a witbier.

I take a taste and find that the lemon is indeed overdone. Way overdone. It tastes closer to a Blanche de Brooklyn than a weiss, but it's not as good as the blanche because the lemon is so overdone that it's starting to remind me of lemon drops! This is a textbook example of my axiom "When I taste that much lemon it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide." With each passing sip the sweetness disturbs me more and more. If it weren't for that sweetness I'd be less inclined to say that the lemon is overdone, but man... the finish is so lemony that a minute after a take a swallow I'm still puckering from the sweet/sour tang in the back of my mouth!

Aside from being way too lemon-droppy, it's not as full-bodied, chewy, and wheaty as a weissbier should be. These guys need to take some lessons from Schneider. I can barely even taste any yeast over this s**t. I'm not finishing this one. The ham-handed, clumsy way in which they throw the lemon around is really pissing me off.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

I had this at Sam's beer tasting and liked it so I bought a 6-pack to bring home.

Poured this into a mug. It's a cloudy yellow like a sunny yellow, not golden. There's quite a head that sticks around. The aroma is bready and citrusy and clove-like and I do detect bananas. There's a sweetness and thickness to this beer. It's good enough that you don't want a lemon slice to go with it. :-)

This is a good summer drinking beer.

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle with Two Brothers' usual great label: a quick description, and their trademark tale of the tape: 12.4 plato, 12 fl oz 15 ibu, 4.9% abv. Cloudy straw gold with fizzy carbonation. Disappointing head for a hefeweizen. Extra sweet aroma of banana, pear, and wheat. Flavor is similar - sweet banana and wheat, with a good sized spicy clove kick. A little sweeter than an average hefe, with a thicker mouthfeel... Nonetheless, a very drinkable and refreshing summer brew, and one of the best American takes on the style. I'm very pleased to have such a dedicated brewery in the Miller Lite-soaked Chicago suburbs.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pure gold with delicate white foam head.

S: Rich clove and banana, and I mean this as top shelf...deep and complex. Lemon, spice, and maybe some vanilla.

T: Not too heavy, this style can easily be over-done. Medium sweetness, subtle spiciness, a very soft touch. Low medium carbonation.

D: A very drinkable hefe. The aroma is big and enhances the experience, but it seems to be one of the most well balanced hefe's that I've had.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: A light yellow straw-like color with a fair head on top.

Smell: A little bit of citrus and yeast.

Taste: Light and a little bit of citrus but sometimes has a little bit of a metallic finish. Not as sweet as some other Hefe Weizens It doesn't have as much flavor as I would have liked.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light consistency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A fair hefe weizen on the lighter side. It is tastes good but is not a hefe weizen of choice but rather one that I would have if there weren't better options available.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A - Milky burnt orange with a super fluffy finger-and-a-half head. Leaves nice lacing down the side of the glass as it's consumed.

S - Strong yeastiness dominates with pepper and banana on the edges. A splash of clove near the end. There's a lack of complexity in the smell, but what s there is nice.

T - All the components of the aroma come through, a bit more banana in the balance. The complexity I was looking for in the smell comes in here. Tasty pepper notes finish with the banana.

M - So creamy, with a refreshing finish that makes for a great Hefe. The clean finish makes me want another.

Not a bad Hefeweizen. I really like the color, and no lack of yeast in the haze. Wouldn't think twice taking a six pack of this to a gathering in the summer.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I do not eat bananas. It is one of the few foods, and the only fruit I can think of, that i truly do not enjoy. Yet, with this beer, I found the strong banana flavoring incredibly enjoyable. The pour is a little disappointing, with little head and a pale yellow color that I found unpleasant before tasting. However, I loved how it felt, and the smell and taste were very good.

Many solid reviews have already been done, so I'll leave it here. I just wanted to chime in and note that I did not find the banana to be too strong, I loved the lightness of the beer, and it came across as a good, traditional weiss beer with a good balance of flavors -- good stuff!

4.11/5  rDev +11.7%

Outstanding. Just outstanding.
Pours a dark yellow, almost gold and the clove-wheat smell is immediate. The taste is perfect hefe. Two Brothers is doing good things in the area and this one tops them all. Had it in bottles previously, but on tap it becomes something much, much better.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Received on a trade.

Poured into a 12 ounce tumbler. Looks great, perfect golden hue. Good amount of protien to give a nice haze. Very little head build, and almost no aroma. Taste is good with a certain spiciness of banana & clove. But wait - there was no aroma. How do these flavors get into the "hefeweizen" if it's not via yeast which should exude these smells?? I have the feeling that they are using an average American yeast and adding flavor with oils & powders, which turns me off. I may be wrong here, but there is no other reason for this aroma/smell paradox. It was also a bit thin for my palate - sad. I WANTED to like it!

I had high expectations after seeing the Two Brothers high ratings here, but this was somewhat disappointing. I had the feeling it was "their take" on Blue Moon which gives me the heebie-jeebies. I will try other TB offerings, but probably won't return to this one.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasty! Poured with very little/no head; very nice golden color, I swear it nearly glows! Gorgeous aroma--citrus, a bit of spice, and I can definetly make out the banana the bottle claims. Very smooth, a carbonation tingle on the tongue, and a bit tart with the citrus. I like it! Easy drinking yet quite flavorful. This would be a perfect summer beer.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

On-tap at Four Moon in Roscoe Village, Chicago.

I'm ussually NOT a big drinker of weiss beers, but tonight it was so hot and humid that I found it only fitting. Appearance was typical for a weiss beer, cloudy yellow with a inch of fluffy head. This was served in a 20oz Two Brothers glass, with a slice of lemon. Smell was yeasty, and citrusy. Taste reminded me of a lighter Weihenstephaner, again yeasty, smooth and refreshing. Solid brew that I wouldn't mind ordering again.

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%

Andrea: Nice and light. Subtle banana flavor. Refreshing, and if possible, a little creamy? Would drink again.

Ryan: Had a sip of Andrea's. Her description fits mine. Would drink again.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Odor: Very floral and wheat like, maybe a touch of vanilla

Pour: Golden blonde color Light Head, dissipates quickly, unfiltered or very lightly filtered. Faint lacing. Served in a Hefeweisen glass

Taste: Tastes just like it smells. Rose or lily type taste. Not sweet flowery but floral. Secondary faint taste of vanilla with a mild wheat taste. Slight bitterness at the finish. Touch of light hops.

Opinion: Nice beer. Two Brothers is a great brewery that likes to experiment with various beer styles. This is definitely an American hefeweisen. I notice the difference between American and Belgian Hefeweisens is that the American style seems to imitate a general wheat beer where as the Belgian want to work at creaminess and banana overtones. I think this to be a characteristic of the wheat used but that's just my thought. Someone smarter than I am probably knows the real answer. Definitely an interesting beer though. I have had beers that smelled very floral, but this one actually tasted of actual flowers. Definitely a beer you could drink a few of.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

First had this at Leona's about two months ago... I was impressed then and I'm impressed now. After doing a bit of looking I see that the brewer makes several others and I will definitely be looking for them.

Appearance: Straw yellow with a hint of sunshine. Pale head that surprisingly stays for some time.

Smell: The bread/yeast scent is over powering at first and has an almost woody characteristic. Banana, coriander, clove, citrus come through next and are trailed closely by cinnamon of all things. Interesting.

Taste: Please see smell... Couldn't describe taste any different.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation level, full bodied, all around good.

Drinkability: The fact that I sat around last night and drank nearly a six-pack of them says something. This makes a good session beer and paired with the right foods... It could be great.

Overall, I recommend this beer and I will be going back to it again. If you are ever in the Chicago area give this one a try.

3.57/5  rDev -3%

A: Hazy golden-yellow with a lively, bubbling body. No much head on this one, discouraging for a heffe

S: Sweet,estery banana aroma, traces of lemons and bit of hoppiness.

T: Mix of bananas and other citrus fruits with a dash of honey and spices, finishing into a soft fruity bitterness that lingers lightly in the back of your throat.

M: Very light, mellow body with some bite from the carbonation

D: Extremeley drinkable, think the flowers on the label demonstrate perfectly the feeling this beer conveys. Goes down smooth and lingers just long enough.

Ebel's Weiss Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company