Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002)
3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

I generally love Two Brother's beers but this one just wasn't that amazing. I would drink it again but I would not seek it out. I would call this decent, but not memorable.

Poured into a wheat beer glass Ebel is quite flat looking. It's tough to conjure up some head and when I do it's over before you know it - I guess that's more accurate now that I write it down!

Aroma is decent with very soft smells of vanilla, clove, and allspice perhaps. Not bad overall.

The flavor is really lacking in this beer. Everything else can be off but flavor must be right on for me to like the beer. This beer has a watery flavor. There is no banana and no powerful clove. The only thing you really taste is any prominence is water.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick for the style. Yes, wheats should have some body and some viscosity due in part to the unfermentable sugars but this one is just WAY too thick. I think they ended up messing up the chilling process because it seems that the proteins came out of solution.

Drinkability is high because it's very watery. I have to put down 1/3 of the beer to taste it. I am quite dissappointed in this beer.

PerzentRizen, Oct 20, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

This is a decent American Facsimilie of a HefeWeizen. Not spectacular but not bad either.

Pours a hazy sunset orange/gold with a tightly knit white head. Nice Carbonation evident.

Smells grainy with a fruity yeast overtones.

Tastes like a mild hefe. Some banana and cloves - again quite mild. some tropical fruit also muted. Gently hopped with a clean mild finish.

Mouthfeel is light an fizzy.

Very drinkable. Nothing to make a special trip for but good none the less.

Citadel82, Oct 14, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours a very pale yellow color, straw yellow, with alright clarity, but it's all head, like a full glass on the first pour, so with subseuent pours it gets increasingly more hazy. It's big and dense and sticky as well, probably meaning that it will have a bit of lacing, but you can't really get into it with the size of the head. Which is a bit of a turn off. The smell is a bit sweet, pale grainy maltiness, just a tiny bit of tartness, which I think is a bit surprising. It doesn't smell quite right, only a tiny bit of banana/clove, but the out of the ordinary yeasty tartness, smells a tiny bit infected. The taste comes on with the tartness, and it actually tastes like a homebrew I made that got infected, but the infection still tastes in the young stage. It does say hefeweizen on the bottle, so this is definitely not right. I would never think this was a hefeweizen, maybe like a blend of a witbier and a saison. You can sense the wheat, but the other tastes are just quite a bit off. I do like the sweetness a bit, but it gets hard to find nice things to say when the style is just not right. I doubt if this was intentional, but I hope that they didn't want it to taste like this. Otherwise, I would imagine that this also was a bit unlike a hefeweizen without the off flavors. Not good. The body is nice and right, I mean a good body, with a nice rush of carbonation, the sweetness keeps the body at the right place. But I mean, I still feel the yeasty flavor here which isn't quite right. Something reminds me of liquid putty. The ABV isn't too high, of course any other Hefe isn't much higher. I'd call this drinkable, but no more so than any other. And the flavor isn't as enjoyable as I'd like it to be of course. I kind of found myself enjoying it for what it is (not what it's labelled), but I can't look past some of the failures.

taylorhamrick, Oct 07, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by 8/30/09. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for giving me the opportunity to try this one!

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/goldenrod color that produced a minimal white head formation but quickly dissipated to bubbles.

(S)- Tons of clayish bananas with a lemon wheat background. Rather bready actually. Light clove nuances.

(T)- Light lemon and biscuits with a rather light and bland middles followed by a subtle yet ample banana and corn husk finish.

(M)- Great carbonation level. Crisp and balanced fruits that refresh. Smooth, not harsh.

(D)- A fine beer that follows the style well. Crisp and refreshing. Straightforward, yet has a bit of interesting things going on. Gets a bit funky in clay tastes as it goes on though.

sweemzander, Sep 11, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap @ the Two Brothers Tap House on 8/9/09. Served in a Weizen glass.

Pours a hazy tangerine, with a thin 1/4 finger of frothy brite-white head. Retains around the edges, leaving a smattering of foamy lace back. The aroma is orange citrus and lighter banana. Sweet wheat, with some pleasant floral tones, and some light spicy clove as well. This is nice in the nose.

The taste is similar, with some lesser orange and lemon, and a bit more subtle banana. Some smooth wheat sweetness backs up the fruit, mixing with some gentle hops and spice, which adds a gentle punch to this. Finishes very dry. The mouthfeel is lighter bodied, with a sprightly carbonation that jumps around in the mouth, giving this a fairly crips and easy feel, and keeping the drinkibility nice.

Decent little Hefe here, with pleasant flavors and an all around enjoyable quaffability to it. Quality summer offering from Two Brothers.

Kegatron, Aug 17, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

I've tried six of Two Brother's offerings, and this was the only one that I didn't have to hard-pour to get a head going. It's a hazy golden-orange with a quick disappearing head. Lacing is just about null.

The aroma is more wit than weizen. There's also the slightest hint of smokiness. Not sure what's up with that, but it's there.

The ghost-like smoke is present in the flavor as well. Again -- though -- this tastes more like a wit.

Mouthfeel is pretty average. Carbonation needs a bit of a punch, but I find this to be the case with all of the Two Brothers brews.

I've definitely had worse wheat offerings than Ebel's Weiss. Then again, it's nothing I would pick up in a sixer. Especially with Weihenstephaner, Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr and Schneider readily available. And with it leaning more wit-like, I'd much rather just grab a Hoegaarden.

BigJim5021, Aug 11, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Appropriately cloudy orange peel with active carbonation. A foamy white head has OK retention, but doesn't leave any lace.

S: A healthy dose of lemon, clove and biscuit dominate the nose. Banana is there, but it's subtle.

T: Spicy and biting. The clove flavor takes the forefront of the flavor profile. It's joined by a dry bread flavor at the opening and a slight sourdough flavor in the finish.

M: The body is quite smooth and has the high carbonation I've come to expect from Hefes.

D: This is a nice and light summer beer. Perhaps not the best example of the style I've had, but a solid offering.

Rayek, Aug 07, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +12%

I had this one on tap at the Two Brothers Tap Room on 7/16/2009.

This weizen poured a cloudy pale gold color with a slight orange tint to it. The snow white head started at 3/4" and settled to a skim. Very little lace to speak of.

S= This was very fruity, very banana-dominant in the nose. Some general malty sweetness and muted clove in there too.

T= I found this ale to have a nice balance of fruity, estery banana, spicy yeast, clove, and tangy wheat malt. Well rounded throughout with just a hint of tartness in the finish.

MF= Light side of medium bodied with a very crisp carbonation feel. Each sip made me want another!

D= This was a tasty and very sessionable beer. I could easily drink a bunch of this in a sitting.

spointon, Jul 18, 2009

Golden yellow appearance, a bit cloudier than most hefes I've seen.

Very pleasant, large aroma of bananas with some faint clove and citrus.

Smooth, prominent banana esters, finishes with the usual clove with a faint hint of some citrus. Very drinkable!

The mouthfeel was this beer's only real flaw. Could use a bit more carbination to give more body.

Overall a very good hefeweizen in the traditional Bavarian style. Good to see a domestic microbrew making this stuff instread of a boring American Wheat Ale.

EcceCapsa, Jul 02, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a super hazy orange color with tons of tiny bobbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Very little head and almost no lacing.

I can smell bananas from two feet away. Heavy banana and some yeasty notes sweet and fresh smelling. Also some vanilla bean. I don't smell a whole lot else here.

The banana is right up front in the taste, some sweet earthy yeast comes through as well. I also get a very muted vanilla flavor along with subtle hints of clove.

Big downer in the mouthfeel, there is almost no carbonation. The brew tastes great, but where are the bubbles? Feels thin and flat on the tongue. The complete lack of carbonation ruined this one for me.

Once again, drinkability is seriously crippled due to the carbonation issue. More bubbles and this brew would be a summer staple.

I may have had a bad bottle, I will revisit this one.

BDLbrewster, Jun 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

12oz bottle served in a weizen glass.

Slightly hazed yellow color with a white head that was reduced to a ring in a hurry.
Good aroma of yeast, wheat, banana & spices.
Taste is pretty much spot on for a hefeweizen with a lighter body than most others.
It's crisp, clean, refreshing and very easy to drink.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jun 21, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +21%

My other brew of choice at a Kane County Cougars minor league baseball game on a hot, humid night. Great family fun, and the Two Brothers tap is right behind my seats.

Pour is remarkably clear for a hefe, appearance is more in line with a Krystal Weiss. No head to speak of, due probably to the plastic cup it was served in.

Aromas of cloves and banana esters, which are also evident in the taste.

Mouthfeel is good, not too thin or heavy. Would make a good session beer on a hot night.

Everything was spot on, except for the absence of yeast haze, making for a classic german weiss beer.

JamnesCameron, Jun 19, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a pint glass
Hazy golden color, almost murky; very thin dissapating head
Aroma-Wheat, cloves, and bananas
Taste-More of the same, bananas ans clove, relatively sweet-could use a bit of orange rind or lemon to balance the sweetness but overall very easy to drink, and certainly sessionable at only 4.9ABV

hosehead83, May 21, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Was surprised to see this at a restaurant just down the street, so I decided to support the local brewery.

Color is a bright golden with a noticeable cloudiness. Served with a good two fingers of foamy white head, which stuck around for longer than expected. Aroma is noticeable of tropical fruits and, to a lesser extent, yeast. Flavor was wild: nice maltiness then banana, clove, and coriander. Finished with a slight sweetness.

Overall a very good beer. I am admittedly not a fan of wheats, but this was one hell of a beer with some crazy flavor action going on. Can't say this beer is going to change my opinions of wheat beers, but I certainly am glad to have had the opportunity to try it. Drinkability is good, though I, personally, just couldn't see drinking too many of these in a single sitting.

Florida9, May 18, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

A - White head standing about an inch tall and perfectly white. The body is a hazy, dingy orangish-brown.

S - The aroma is inviting. There's a wheat scent accented by orange and oak.

T - The sweet wheat flavor is tasty.

M - The brew has a watery feel to it with little texture otherwise.

~ This is a drinkable brew. The flavor makes this one that might make it a tasty treat on the boat during the summer months.

cdkrenz, May 07, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

The beer pours a cloudy dark gold color with a 1/4" white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a malty scent that boasts of pale, wheat, and Munich malts. It has a wondeful yeast aroma that adds excellent banana/clove character. The taste is good also. It is maltier than most hefes, but I'm a big fan of maltier ones. The yeast provides the necessary esters and it drinks well. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a pretty good beer. It's not a refreshing brew, but it's much tastier and complex than most.

WesWes, May 02, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Received on a trade.

Poured into a 12 ounce tumbler. Looks great, perfect golden hue. Good amount of protien to give a nice haze. Very little head build, and almost no aroma. Taste is good with a certain spiciness of banana & clove. But wait - there was no aroma. How do these flavors get into the "hefeweizen" if it's not via yeast which should exude these smells?? I have the feeling that they are using an average American yeast and adding flavor with oils & powders, which turns me off. I may be wrong here, but there is no other reason for this aroma/smell paradox. It was also a bit thin for my palate - sad. I WANTED to like it!

I had high expectations after seeing the Two Brothers high ratings here, but this was somewhat disappointing. I had the feeling it was "their take" on Blue Moon which gives me the heebie-jeebies. I will try other TB offerings, but probably won't return to this one.

DijonKetchup, Apr 03, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

this poured nice and smooth with a one inch head. nice bready aroma. smooth taste that was a little fruit and light. good beer for the summer months as a nice thirst quencher. a pleasant surprise with a nice dry finish. it was good enough to have two in a row.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Mar 30, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Pour has a nice orange-golden color with a good unfiltered look. There is a nice white head, however it goes away fairly quickly.
Smell has a lot of things going for it for a hefeweizen. There is a the usual nice wheat and barley smells, but there is a nice addition of clove and vanilla to the usual banana smell of this style.
Taste is very good on this selection. Ebel's is a much sweeter taste than the average hefeweizen. The malty sweetness to the beer accentuated by the clove and banana tastes make it a nice drink.
Mouthfeel is very nice. The beer has a nice thickness, but keeps a crisp, refreshing feel at the same time.
Drinkability is always good on hefeweizens. Because of the crisp, refreshing bite to the mouthfeel, this beer would be an awesome session beer on a hot summer day. The sweetness gets to the tongue a little bit, but the taste is worth it. I was surprised by this beer. I hadn't heard much about it, but it was a very nice selection that makes me want to try more styles from the Two Brothers.

BDIMike, Mar 21, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

12 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Light cloudy yellow color with little head retention

Smell: A great orange and banana smell

Taste: The taste is very similar to the smell, it has a banana bread taste with a good amount of spice to it. The amount of spice may not be as much as some similar hefes but it is still a good amount

ruckus232, Mar 15, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a bright yet cloudy golden orange color with a pure white head that settled into a light cap. Nice banana and lemon aromas to go along with the wheat malt. Not as spicy as the true bavarian types but good. The taste is thin on the hefe flavors; light banana which is dominated by the wheat malt and lemon characteristics. The flavor is probably closer to an American wheat than a hefe. The feel definitely has a wheat edge to it but does have semi-soft carbonation; finishes on the tart side. A decent hefe, some traditional bavarian qualties but falls short.

Gmann, Feb 08, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz. poured into weizen glass

Appearance: Cloudy yellow orange with minimal head.

Smell: Orange and banana right away followed by a sweet breadiness. Some spice follows up the fruity, floral initial smell.

Taste: Yep, it's a hefeweizen. I don't know why I keep trying this style, I just don't like it. But I will review objectively...sweet fruits such as orange, banana, and pineapple are followed by biscuit like malts and then sour funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Body on the lighter side, low carbonation, makes my mouth water.

Drinkability: Low ABV, but way too sweet for my liking.

Overall: I love Two Brothers and this is probably a decent take on the style but I can't stomach it. That being said, I'm not a rich man so I will drink it all. Drain pours be damned! If you like hefeweizens I would at least suggest trying this and see what you think.

optiontwo, Jan 13, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

a A dark caramel color. Cloudy but with very little head. The color of the beer far outweighs the lack of head.

s: Coriander and orange peel.

t High orange peel flavor.

m nice bite of carbonation

d I really like this beer.

Poured into a Tulip glass. Very nice to get the aroma out.

KevinMc79, Dec 30, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Reviewed on 8/7/08. Bottle, best by 9/3/08. Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of spices (clove, corriander). Flavor is rather fruity and sweet for a hefe (lots of citrus, also kiwi, pineapple, grapefruit). A slight sourness from the fruit too. I liked the fruitiness of this hefe and it was quite tasty too! Interesting hefe.
7/4/7/4/14 (3.6/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

I"m brewing so this review will be short.

This is a nice hefe. Good head and retention. Nice, yet clear color. (Perhaps a kristalweizen might be more appropriate.

Smell is of bananas and wheat

Taste is well balanced and smooth and crips. Banana comes through big time.

Mouthfeel is perfect and the carbonation levels are awesome for this beer.

THis is a very refreshing beer, sorry for the shitty review.

Thanks to David Eddie for the sample.

jasonjlewis, Nov 26, 2008