Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

I had this as part of a sampler at the brew pub...A light honey gold not much retention or lacing...The aroma is mostly clove with a hint of banana, the clove is really nice....The taste starts off as sweet banana but then you are attacked by a harsh wood taste. A hefe should stay away from beer. Its an interesting concept but either the reality of the taste or execution is not there. Not easy to drink.

Maybe and this is a lean maybe, its worth trying to have a woody hefe.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Pours a lively, cloudy yellow body with a foamy, off-white head.

Smell: Aroma of dried wheat, cracked cloves, bananas, and a little bit of citrus.

Taste: Starts with sweet-tasting wheat and lemony citrus flavors. Mild notes of banana and cloves follow and last into the flowery, lightly sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Seem like a hefe-lite to me. Still, though, it was fairly refreshing and easy-drinking.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer pours a very pale golden color. On the nose I get wheat, banana, and a little nuttiness. The flavor is a little thin, this is what I would call a very shy beer. It sneaks into the room and leave without a fuss. Not bad in anyway, but not particularly interesting either.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle with a best by date of... tomorrow! Yikes, I should check dates before I buy things, but I'm getting this one just in the nick of time. Aggressively poured into a weizen glass. Hazy straw body with absolutely no head to speak of. My initial reaction is a bad bottle, but other reviews seem to say the same. A ton of bubbles rising up and only the thinnest layers of bubbly lacing.

Aroma is very yeast-forward. Bubble gum and cloves with just a touch of banana. Light wheaty aroma and a touch of spicy, earthy hops.

Flavor is mostly clove, banana, and vanilla. Touch of white pepper. Slightly spicy hoppy finish, but overall very thin flavor.

Light bodied and highly carbonated. A little creamy, but far less chewy than most hefes.

Meh. This is a very unsubstantial and underwhelming beer. Actually, kind of disappointing considering how much I like Two Brothers. All the typical hefeweizen flavors are there, but most of them are completely sedated. I'll stick with a Munich hefe or a SN Kellerweis next time.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

This is a decent American Facsimilie of a HefeWeizen. Not spectacular but not bad either.

Pours a hazy sunset orange/gold with a tightly knit white head. Nice Carbonation evident.

Smells grainy with a fruity yeast overtones.

Tastes like a mild hefe. Some banana and cloves - again quite mild. some tropical fruit also muted. Gently hopped with a clean mild finish.

Mouthfeel is light an fizzy.

Very drinkable. Nothing to make a special trip for but good none the less.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Hazy, dirty nectarine-gold with a small-medium sized white head.
Milky, wheat protein aromas on the nose, with some banana bubble gum, and yeast.
Tastes of tangy wheat malt; not too sweet at all. Light banana esters. Finish is yeasty, wheat bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is milky, mouth-coating, and medium bodied. An okay hefeweizen, but not crazy good.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Picked up a single at Woodman's West here in Madison.

Pour: yeast-hazed golden yellow, nearly opaque, under a finger of snow white foam.

Nose: banana nut bread, sour wheat, clove yeast, vanilla malt and a hint of dirty diaper funk in the finish.

Taste: on the sweet side for the style, with citrus, banana bread, spicy yeast and a long sour wheat and lemon finish. Not exactly balanced, but there's plenty going on.

Feel: creamy, smooth, velvety carb, little sour in the finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Gets a little sour for my liking as it warms and kind of falls apart. Fairly pleasant when it was still cold, however. Probably not something I'll seek out again.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Pale gold and hazy with a nice one finger head. Not as much rolling foam as I would expect from a hefe.

A big wallop of green banana and cloves are right up front. Dry grassy smell like a field of dry dead grass. A slightly vegetal smell is present...and unwelcome.

Tastes very much like it smells. Clove and green banana predominate, with hints of bubblegum and nice dry finish.

This is a weird hefe for sure. It has the pre-requisite flavors all right, but they just don't seem to be balanced. This is very acidic and not as sweet as most hefes. It's not all bad, but it doens't appeal to my tastes and it seems a bit off for the style.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Received on a trade.

Poured into a 12 ounce tumbler. Looks great, perfect golden hue. Good amount of protien to give a nice haze. Very little head build, and almost no aroma. Taste is good with a certain spiciness of banana & clove. But wait - there was no aroma. How do these flavors get into the "hefeweizen" if it's not via yeast which should exude these smells?? I have the feeling that they are using an average American yeast and adding flavor with oils & powders, which turns me off. I may be wrong here, but there is no other reason for this aroma/smell paradox. It was also a bit thin for my palate - sad. I WANTED to like it!

I had high expectations after seeing the Two Brothers high ratings here, but this was somewhat disappointing. I had the feeling it was "their take" on Blue Moon which gives me the heebie-jeebies. I will try other TB offerings, but probably won't return to this one.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured a yellow, straw color with a small, faint head. Initial smell is of strong floral, I could not pick up any fruity/banana smell. Initial taste is of light honey with a strong corn flavor that sticks. The mouthfeel is much of the honey/corn feel, but it is very drinkable. Finishes very smooth.

Notes. Probably a good summer beer, picked up a single at Blue Max just to try a Two Bros. A lemon, 90 degrees and a deck, this would rate better.

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. poured into weizen glass

Appearance: Cloudy yellow orange with minimal head.

Smell: Orange and banana right away followed by a sweet breadiness. Some spice follows up the fruity, floral initial smell.

Taste: Yep, it's a hefeweizen. I don't know why I keep trying this style, I just don't like it. But I will review objectively...sweet fruits such as orange, banana, and pineapple are followed by biscuit like malts and then sour funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Body on the lighter side, low carbonation, makes my mouth water.

Drinkability: Low ABV, but way too sweet for my liking.

Overall: I love Two Brothers and this is probably a decent take on the style but I can't stomach it. That being said, I'm not a rich man so I will drink it all. Drain pours be damned! If you like hefeweizens I would at least suggest trying this and see what you think.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

A fairly lackluster attempt at the style. The beer pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden with minimal fluff to the head. Aromas, and flavors of clove are present but muted at best. An annoying sour-ball lemon flavor lingers on the finish and kills off the clove and banana notes trying to come forward. A drinkable yet rather boring offering.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: A light yellow straw-like color with a fair head on top.

Smell: A little bit of citrus and yeast.

Taste: Light and a little bit of citrus but sometimes has a little bit of a metallic finish. Not as sweet as some other Hefe Weizens It doesn't have as much flavor as I would have liked.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light consistency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A fair hefe weizen on the lighter side. It is tastes good but is not a hefe weizen of choice but rather one that I would have if there weren't better options available.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a hazy rust orange with two fingers of thick snow-white head. Even over a foot away from my face I instantly smell banana, bubblegum, vanilla, and pepper. I'm surprised at first taste that for all the aroma there is very little flavor. The only thing really notable is a bit of vanilla and bitter grapefruit aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty watery and perhaps a little sugary for my taste. Easy enough to drink, but not very compelling.

The incredible aromas teased me but the blandness of it all ends up being a disappointment.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: It's a light golden color. Slightly cloudy. Head is a modest one finger. Very short retention and light lacing.

Smell: It's a decent mix of earthy and spicy aromas. It has a typical wheat-grainy smell to it. Spiciness is primarily clove with some banana and light citrus notes mixed in.

Taste: The spicy clove and banana flavors are the main features. It has a grainy taste (as well as feel) to it. Some citrus flavors are noticeable, but they are faint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and goes down pretty smooth. I just find it hard to drink more simply because it's just an okay beer. Overall, it's okay but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a super hazy orange color with tons of tiny bobbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Very little head and almost no lacing.

I can smell bananas from two feet away. Heavy banana and some yeasty notes sweet and fresh smelling. Also some vanilla bean. I don't smell a whole lot else here.

The banana is right up front in the taste, some sweet earthy yeast comes through as well. I also get a very muted vanilla flavor along with subtle hints of clove.

Big downer in the mouthfeel, there is almost no carbonation. The brew tastes great, but where are the bubbles? Feels thin and flat on the tongue. The complete lack of carbonation ruined this one for me.

Once again, drinkability is seriously crippled due to the carbonation issue. More bubbles and this brew would be a summer staple.

I may have had a bad bottle, I will revisit this one.

3.02/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance- Pours an awesome , brisk head with good retention and awesome bubbling and awesome brussels lace left after each sip. Color was a muted yellow with light amber notes.

Smell- Lots of wheat infused lemons with a sprig of sage and clove.

Taste- The tartest tasting weiss I've ever had. It was a not so great mix of typical weiss taste and lemons. Das war nicht so gut. Starts out wheat and good with some bubble gum and ginger.

Mouthfeel- Too dry and tart to be a repeatable weiss.

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%

Shocked and chagrined!

Two Brothers Brown Fox was one of the first beers I really fell in love with. And considering that I love hefe-weisse beer, I thought I had to give this a try. Don't make the same mistake.

It pours like day old champagne. The tiny lace dissipates quickly. Reminds me of stuff I used to play drinking games with. The "suspension" of yeast is disgusting; the beer's not uniformly cloudly, just filled with specks of crap. It smells good, but looks skunky.

Speaking of the smell, it's not bad -- somewhat estery with nice spices, a little sweet.

The primary taste is gumballs followed maybe by vanilla and clove. A lot of esters. No real balance or distinction to any of the flavors. Completely artificial.

This is the harshest microbrew I've had in my mouth to date. It feels a little like Miller Genuine Draft, not as bad as Icehouse. Very sharp and piercing, over carbonated . . . what the hell is going on here?

I'm going to finish my six pack, keep buying Brown Fox Ale for sessions, and never think about this beer again. It's drinkable, but not really a hefe at all. It has no body, no character, no sophisitication. As a hefe-head, I was insulted.

Relax, relax.

Yellow pour, has the average amount of haze to it, 1" head, but retention was subpar, lacing not impressive either. Aroma was heavy wheat bread, almost banana bread.

Taste, eh, just wasn't into it at any point, no particular bad flavor, but was just so pedestrian. Identifiable as a wheat beer. Nothing like the good tang of the better ones. More clove than I would care for, which is a very low bar to begin with for beerandraiderfan. Light body, even for a hefeweizen. Some kinda artificial lemon flavor seems to be there.

I dunno, just another beer to me. Indifferent.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Lewis13 from RB. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 4 1/2" off-white head over the cludy burnished gold brew. Head fades gradually but still holds with plenty of froth, and lacing sporadic and delicate. Aroma is wheat clovey, with tart touches. Taste follows the nose, although not as intense with the clove, and nary any banana, but with some hops bitterness discernable. Mouthfeel is gassy and somewhat thin, and drinkability is okay. Didn't get much out of this one to make me go shopping for it again anytime soon.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

It has a little bit of a citrus kick to it, and there's some maltiness hanging out in the aftertaste. It's not great, but it's not terrible by any means.

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance - Cloudy, light-amber, with a golden yellow hue. Looks like foggy urine. Not the most appetizing color for a beer, but I'll take it. Looks heavily carbonated too.

Smell - Smells like beer - the stereotypical smell one would equate to beer. Grainy, subtle hints of aromatic hops, but not a lot to say.

Taste - Tastes heavily grainy, not as bitter as evident from the carbonation, but has a strange, smoky aftertaste to it. Not bad, but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The heavy carbonation stings a bit, and that's probably the beer's only glaring issue.

Ebel's Weiss is nowhere near the aesthetically sublime and delectable qualities set forth by Two Brothers' Domaine DuPage. It's my first Hefeweizen beer, but if this sets the course for the style, I'm not sure how active I will be in exploring it.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Thanks to GDBEERMAN for the bottle

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best by 9/04/10

A - Pour is reminiscent of a dull, cloudy orange juice, with very little head and minimal retention; no lacing to speak of.

S - Nose is on the lighter side with clove predominantly, with some hints of banana and bubble gum.

T&M - What stands out the most to be is a lack of carbonation. This beer is lacking the "crispness" that I was looking for for the style, I was hoping that it would be made up with a bit of a tart edge in the flavor, but it wasn't.

Clove notes are dominant, with the banana and bubble gum taking a bit of a back seat. I was looking for more phenolic flavors. The yeast is certainly present, along with a bit of softness, presumably from wheat.

D - All around decent, but lacking in several areas very important to a hefeweizen. On the brighter sides, lower ABV and rather easy to imbibe.

2.89/5  rDev -21.5%

From notes…

Best By 3/14/05

Hazy because I agitated the yeast before pouring, pale gold in hue with warm tawny highlights. The head, on a hard pour, was only a finger in height. The white bubbles then quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. The liquid plays the part but the head size and retention are disappointing. There was no subsequent lacing. I’m picky with my Hefeweizens; so far this beer doesn’t live up to expectations. The nose clears up any worries that this beer is really an American Wheat in disguise. I can clearly smell bubblegum, raw (wet) wheat, hints of banana, clove, and some spicy residue. The bouquet said everything I wanted it too. I didn’t have to hunt any of the smells down either, the potency is moderate and this beer is plenty articulate. Needless to say it is inviting. The palate is flawed. It is too tart for a Bavarian Wheat. The acidic is too vocal and the clove and banana qualities are very quite. The true wheat flavors are at the back and they don’t shine until the shallow. Empty. Bad bottle? Bad beer? I haven’t been impressed with anything I’ve had from Two Brothers so I’m one to think this just isn’t a good beer. This beer has everything the style should, just in wrong amounts. The acidity should be softer and at the back, the wheat should be louder and more forward in the taste and the bubblegum, cloves, and banana should be rich and found throughout. I can’t say I’m disappointed in this beer because I didn’t have any expectations. Really though, this beer is lousy. Medium in body, the carbonation is way to low for the style. The mouthfeel is really lacking. It needs more bite. I didn’t find this beer to be drinkable. I love Hefeweizens; this one only pretends to be one. The nose was nice but it fell apart from there. Lousy. It will take some serious convincing to get me to try this beer again. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA. Not good.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured a Cloudy Lemonade yellow with huge sticky bone white head that hangs out longer then Oprah at a buffet.

First thing i though of after a good whiff is that it has some of the same aroma qualities as a weaker Saison Dupont but not tart, i think the Hay is giving me this impression. Aroma and Taste has Banana, Hay, yeast, and some clove hiding down there, and ever so slight citrus at the end.

There's alot of very good aromas and flavors, wish they were stronger though.

thin mouthfeel with a clean finish, could drink a 6er easily i bet.

Ebel's Weiss Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company