Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002)
ngandhi

Shocked and chagrined!

Two Brothers Brown Fox was one of the first beers I really fell in love with. And considering that I love hefe-weisse beer, I thought I had to give this a try. Don't make the same mistake.

It pours like day old champagne. The tiny lace dissipates quickly. Reminds me of stuff I used to play drinking games with. The "suspension" of yeast is disgusting; the beer's not uniformly cloudly, just filled with specks of crap. It smells good, but looks skunky.

Speaking of the smell, it's not bad -- somewhat estery with nice spices, a little sweet.

The primary taste is gumballs followed maybe by vanilla and clove. A lot of esters. No real balance or distinction to any of the flavors. Completely artificial.

This is the harshest microbrew I've had in my mouth to date. It feels a little like Miller Genuine Draft, not as bad as Icehouse. Very sharp and piercing, over carbonated . . . what the hell is going on here?

I'm going to finish my six pack, keep buying Brown Fox Ale for sessions, and never think about this beer again. It's drinkable, but not really a hefe at all. It has no body, no character, no sophisitication. As a hefe-head, I was insulted.

Relax, relax.

11-29-2011 18:17:46 | More by scootercrabb
jordanmiller

12-31-2011 18:36:11 | More by jordanmiller
KBomb

Pours a hazy rust orange with two fingers of thick snow-white head. Even over a foot away from my face I instantly smell banana, bubblegum, vanilla, and pepper. I'm surprised at first taste that for all the aroma there is very little flavor. The only thing really notable is a bit of vanilla and bitter grapefruit aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty watery and perhaps a little sugary for my taste. Easy enough to drink, but not very compelling.

The incredible aromas teased me but the blandness of it all ends up being a disappointment.

08-25-2008 16:50:44 | More by KBomb
prototypic

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: It's a light golden color. Slightly cloudy. Head is a modest one finger. Very short retention and light lacing.

Smell: It's a decent mix of earthy and spicy aromas. It has a typical wheat-grainy smell to it. Spiciness is primarily clove with some banana and light citrus notes mixed in.

Taste: The spicy clove and banana flavors are the main features. It has a grainy taste (as well as feel) to it. Some citrus flavors are noticeable, but they are faint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and goes down pretty smooth. I just find it hard to drink more simply because it's just an okay beer. Overall, it's okay but I wouldn't seek it out.

08-27-2007 20:14:34 | More by prototypic
BDLbrewster

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a super hazy orange color with tons of tiny bobbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Very little head and almost no lacing.

I can smell bananas from two feet away. Heavy banana and some yeasty notes sweet and fresh smelling. Also some vanilla bean. I don't smell a whole lot else here.

The banana is right up front in the taste, some sweet earthy yeast comes through as well. I also get a very muted vanilla flavor along with subtle hints of clove.

Big downer in the mouthfeel, there is almost no carbonation. The brew tastes great, but where are the bubbles? Feels thin and flat on the tongue. The complete lack of carbonation ruined this one for me.

Once again, drinkability is seriously crippled due to the carbonation issue. More bubbles and this brew would be a summer staple.

I may have had a bad bottle, I will revisit this one.

06-28-2009 17:29:37 | More by BDLbrewster
moulefrite

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

A fairly lackluster attempt at the style. The beer pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden with minimal fluff to the head. Aromas, and flavors of clove are present but muted at best. An annoying sour-ball lemon flavor lingers on the finish and kills off the clove and banana notes trying to come forward. A drinkable yet rather boring offering.

07-26-2003 00:44:31 | More by moulefrite
optiontwo

12 oz. poured into weizen glass

Appearance: Cloudy yellow orange with minimal head.

Smell: Orange and banana right away followed by a sweet breadiness. Some spice follows up the fruity, floral initial smell.

Taste: Yep, it's a hefeweizen. I don't know why I keep trying this style, I just don't like it. But I will review objectively...sweet fruits such as orange, banana, and pineapple are followed by biscuit like malts and then sour funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Body on the lighter side, low carbonation, makes my mouth water.

Drinkability: Low ABV, but way too sweet for my liking.

Overall: I love Two Brothers and this is probably a decent take on the style but I can't stomach it. That being said, I'm not a rich man so I will drink it all. Drain pours be damned! If you like hefeweizens I would at least suggest trying this and see what you think.

01-13-2009 21:39:31 | More by optiontwo
Kiwano

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: A light yellow straw-like color with a fair head on top.

Smell: A little bit of citrus and yeast.

Taste: Light and a little bit of citrus but sometimes has a little bit of a metallic finish. Not as sweet as some other Hefe Weizens It doesn't have as much flavor as I would have liked.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light consistency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A fair hefe weizen on the lighter side. It is tastes good but is not a hefe weizen of choice but rather one that I would have if there weren't better options available.

08-22-2007 07:22:32 | More by Kiwano
pmcadamis

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Pale gold and hazy with a nice one finger head. Not as much rolling foam as I would expect from a hefe.

A big wallop of green banana and cloves are right up front. Dry grassy smell like a field of dry dead grass. A slightly vegetal smell is present...and unwelcome.

Tastes very much like it smells. Clove and green banana predominate, with hints of bubblegum and nice dry finish.

This is a weird hefe for sure. It has the pre-requisite flavors all right, but they just don't seem to be balanced. This is very acidic and not as sweet as most hefes. It's not all bad, but it doens't appeal to my tastes and it seems a bit off for the style.

10-04-2006 20:31:25 | More by pmcadamis
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Picked up a single at Woodman's West here in Madison.

Pour: yeast-hazed golden yellow, nearly opaque, under a finger of snow white foam.

Nose: banana nut bread, sour wheat, clove yeast, vanilla malt and a hint of dirty diaper funk in the finish.

Taste: on the sweet side for the style, with citrus, banana bread, spicy yeast and a long sour wheat and lemon finish. Not exactly balanced, but there's plenty going on.

Feel: creamy, smooth, velvety carb, little sour in the finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Gets a little sour for my liking as it warms and kind of falls apart. Fairly pleasant when it was still cold, however. Probably not something I'll seek out again.

08-29-2006 23:02:58 | More by Golden2wenty1
DijonKetchup

Received on a trade.

Poured into a 12 ounce tumbler. Looks great, perfect golden hue. Good amount of protien to give a nice haze. Very little head build, and almost no aroma. Taste is good with a certain spiciness of banana & clove. But wait - there was no aroma. How do these flavors get into the "hefeweizen" if it's not via yeast which should exude these smells?? I have the feeling that they are using an average American yeast and adding flavor with oils & powders, which turns me off. I may be wrong here, but there is no other reason for this aroma/smell paradox. It was also a bit thin for my palate - sad. I WANTED to like it!

I had high expectations after seeing the Two Brothers high ratings here, but this was somewhat disappointing. I had the feeling it was "their take" on Blue Moon which gives me the heebie-jeebies. I will try other TB offerings, but probably won't return to this one.

04-03-2009 16:24:01 | More by DijonKetchup
GeoffRizzo

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a yellow, straw color with a small, faint head. Initial smell is of strong floral, I could not pick up any fruity/banana smell. Initial taste is of light honey with a strong corn flavor that sticks. The mouthfeel is much of the honey/corn feel, but it is very drinkable. Finishes very smooth.

Notes. Probably a good summer beer, picked up a single at Blue Max just to try a Two Bros. A lemon, 90 degrees and a deck, this would rate better.

02-23-2003 20:00:51 | More by GeoffRizzo
alexgash

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Hazy, dirty nectarine-gold with a small-medium sized white head.
Milky, wheat protein aromas on the nose, with some banana bubble gum, and yeast.
Tastes of tangy wheat malt; not too sweet at all. Light banana esters. Finish is yeasty, wheat bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is milky, mouth-coating, and medium bodied. An okay hefeweizen, but not crazy good.

11-06-2004 23:46:57 | More by alexgash
Citadel82

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

This is a decent American Facsimilie of a HefeWeizen. Not spectacular but not bad either.

Pours a hazy sunset orange/gold with a tightly knit white head. Nice Carbonation evident.

Smells grainy with a fruity yeast overtones.

Tastes like a mild hefe. Some banana and cloves - again quite mild. some tropical fruit also muted. Gently hopped with a clean mild finish.

Mouthfeel is light an fizzy.

Very drinkable. Nothing to make a special trip for but good none the less.

10-14-2009 03:09:39 | More by Citadel82
jrallen34

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

I had this as part of a sampler at the brew pub...A light honey gold not much retention or lacing...The aroma is mostly clove with a hint of banana, the clove is really nice....The taste starts off as sweet banana but then you are attacked by a harsh wood taste. A hefe should stay away from beer. Its an interesting concept but either the reality of the taste or execution is not there. Not easy to drink.

Maybe and this is a lean maybe, its worth trying to have a woody hefe.

08-07-2010 21:12:43 | More by jrallen34
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Pours a lively, cloudy yellow body with a foamy, off-white head.

Smell: Aroma of dried wheat, cracked cloves, bananas, and a little bit of citrus.

Taste: Starts with sweet-tasting wheat and lemony citrus flavors. Mild notes of banana and cloves follow and last into the flowery, lightly sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Seem like a hefe-lite to me. Still, though, it was fairly refreshing and easy-drinking.

08-20-2007 22:19:46 | More by ChainGangGuy
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

I generally love Two Brother's beers but this one just wasn't that amazing. I would drink it again but I would not seek it out. I would call this decent, but not memorable.

Poured into a wheat beer glass Ebel is quite flat looking. It's tough to conjure up some head and when I do it's over before you know it - I guess that's more accurate now that I write it down!

Aroma is decent with very soft smells of vanilla, clove, and allspice perhaps. Not bad overall.

The flavor is really lacking in this beer. Everything else can be off but flavor must be right on for me to like the beer. This beer has a watery flavor. There is no banana and no powerful clove. The only thing you really taste is any prominence is water.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick for the style. Yes, wheats should have some body and some viscosity due in part to the unfermentable sugars but this one is just WAY too thick. I think they ended up messing up the chilling process because it seems that the proteins came out of solution.

Drinkability is high because it's very watery. I have to put down 1/3 of the beer to taste it. I am quite dissappointed in this beer.

10-20-2009 21:44:22 | More by PerzentRizen
Phocion

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz. bottle with a best by date of... tomorrow! Yikes, I should check dates before I buy things, but I'm getting this one just in the nick of time. Aggressively poured into a weizen glass. Hazy straw body with absolutely no head to speak of. My initial reaction is a bad bottle, but other reviews seem to say the same. A ton of bubbles rising up and only the thinnest layers of bubbly lacing.

Aroma is very yeast-forward. Bubble gum and cloves with just a touch of banana. Light wheaty aroma and a touch of spicy, earthy hops.

Flavor is mostly clove, banana, and vanilla. Touch of white pepper. Slightly spicy hoppy finish, but overall very thin flavor.

Light bodied and highly carbonated. A little creamy, but far less chewy than most hefes.

Meh. This is a very unsubstantial and underwhelming beer. Actually, kind of disappointing considering how much I like Two Brothers. All the typical hefeweizen flavors are there, but most of them are completely sedated. I'll stick with a Munich hefe or a SN Kellerweis next time.

07-04-2014 22:31:20 | More by Phocion