Ebel's Weiss Beer - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Illinois, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

The Ebel brothers' easy-drinking, light-styled weiss makes a perfect summer beer. It pours a cloudy yellow-gold body with an orangeish cast beneath a full head of bright white foam that holds fairly well, but leaves little, if any, lace about the glass. Clove greets you in the nose, followed by some lemon, flowers, vanilla, some plastic-like phenols, and just a hint of banana; although the aroma is really not that strong (except for the clove). In the mouth it's delicately zesty and smooth across the palate with a medium-light body and just slightly elevated carbonation. The flavor is much as the nose indicates, with all of the appropriate flavors, but not that much of them. It's a little light in it's maltiness, but at the same time that lends it a bit of drinkability; and I've had German weissbiers that were even more subtle on the palate. (853 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Hazy golden, with lace. Yeast and bannana nose. Light, easy drink. Suitably carbonated with lemony finish. Where was the wheat? Banana and cloves, sour and lots of sweetness, lemons and cloves too herbally for me. all-in-all average beer. Thanks Viggo. (252 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out a hazy golden color. The head is not as large as in most hefeweizens. The aroma has a lot of lemon and a little vanilla. Crisp and refreshing, but still has a full malt flavor, which many hefes are lacking. Has that banana clove flavor. Spicy flavor in the finish. Good drinkability. There's nothing really bad about this beer, but nothing to really get excited about either. (412 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21.9%

From notes…

Best By 3/14/05

Hazy because I agitated the yeast before pouring, pale gold in hue with warm tawny highlights. The head, on a hard pour, was only a finger in height. The white bubbles then quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. The liquid plays the part but the head size and retention are disappointing. There was no subsequent lacing. I’m picky with my Hefeweizens; so far this beer doesn’t live up to expectations. The nose clears up any worries that this beer is really an American Wheat in disguise. I can clearly smell bubblegum, raw (wet) wheat, hints of banana, clove, and some spicy residue. The bouquet said everything I wanted it too. I didn’t have to hunt any of the smells down either, the potency is moderate and this beer is plenty articulate. Needless to say it is inviting. The palate is flawed. It is too tart for a Bavarian Wheat. The acidic is too vocal and the clove and banana qualities are very quite. The true wheat flavors are at the back and they don’t shine until the shallow. Empty. Bad bottle? Bad beer? I haven’t been impressed with anything I’ve had from Two Brothers so I’m one to think this just isn’t a good beer. This beer has everything the style should, just in wrong amounts. The acidity should be softer and at the back, the wheat should be louder and more forward in the taste and the bubblegum, cloves, and banana should be rich and found throughout. I can’t say I’m disappointed in this beer because I didn’t have any expectations. Really though, this beer is lousy. Medium in body, the carbonation is way to low for the style. The mouthfeel is really lacking. It needs more bite. I didn’t find this beer to be drinkable. I love Hefeweizens; this one only pretends to be one. The nose was nice but it fell apart from there. Lousy. It will take some serious convincing to get me to try this beer again. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA. Not good. (1,923 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy, dirty nectarine-gold with a small-medium sized white head.
Milky, wheat protein aromas on the nose, with some banana bubble gum, and yeast.
Tastes of tangy wheat malt; not too sweet at all. Light banana esters. Finish is yeasty, wheat bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is milky, mouth-coating, and medium bodied. An okay hefeweizen, but not crazy good. (352 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy yellow gold from the 12oz'er into my tulip glass. Head is small and fades fast. Looks good. The first smells are of cloves, bananas, some phenolic tones and lemons. Nice but a little subdued.

First taste is upfront with a nice smooth sweet maltiness that carries notes of cloves, light citrus tones and earthy yeast. I enjoy the subtleness of this one as the flavors balanced. There's an intersting bit of sourness as well.

Mouthfeel is nice with a medium body and good carbonation. As for drinkability...this is more of a brew I'd have every now and again. A nice change of pace and a nice example of the style. (631 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

Cloudy Orange.

Solid, spot on aroma of strong nutmeg, vanilla and clove, lovely fruit scents of deep orange, tangerine and banana.

Oddly enough, this is slightly sour especially on the mid-palate and in terms of flavor, this reminds of Hitachino Nest Weizen and that is a good thing. Loads of deep, coating flavor and huge, for its small size. Notes of vanilla, clove, pepper and orange. An odd beer for sure but quite tasty. (433 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a light golden yellow color with nothing like the head I would expect fron a hefe. The nose is dominated by lemony citrus, with banana coming through secondarily. The flavor is lemony banana, with a nice creamy flavor from the yeast. The taste is not as strong as I wold like, but its not bad either. The beer is not as thick as I would want. Most hefes are thick, but this one seems too thin for the style. This is an easy drinking beer. If I could get it, it would be a staple in my fridge throughout the summer. (529 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A decent weizen from two brothers brewing. This is a cloudy yellowish/orange colour with a nice white head that stays for a while. The aromas are in your face and consist of weizen yeast, lemon, orange, cloves, banana, and more. The taste is very wheaty and banana-like with some nice spicy notes in the mix as well. The finish is very fruity and spicy as well. The mouthfeel is creamy, and a bit thick for this style and the drinkability is good. A decent version. (465 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm really not sure why everyone else is giving this such bad reviews. I find this weiss quite refreshing, smooth and creamy.

It pours a classic hazy golden weiss color with a quick head that probably disappears a bit more quickly than a real German Weiss.

Smell is strong banana and other phenols with a little clove and some barnyard mixed in. The barnyard turned me off a little.

The taste is not extreme. Some banana, touch of clove, and some lemon. I thought it was a nice refreshing lighter beer. I suppose I understand the "thin" comments this gets.

Mouthfeel is creamy and light and goes down well.

I think this would make a great lawnmower quaffer or for sitting out on a hot day. (707 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz brown longneck with a nice label design (per usual with this brewery).

Beer pours a hazy darkish yellow with a fluffy white head, not much in the way of lacing.

Beer has a full nose of banana & spice. Nice bit of malt smell as well.

Taste is refreshing. Nice clove type taste to cut the more fruity aspects of the beer. The malts seems well calibrated. Not overly sweet or cloying, may not be a good beer to match with any full flavored foods as I think this Weiss would get overwhelmed.

Easy drinking refreshing summer type beer. May be a good intro beer for macro drinkers. All in all an enjoyable example of style. (637 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -45.7%

I brought a bottle of this back from Chicago last night, and boy am I anxious to try it. I pour it into a weisse glass and see that, as the label indicates, the somewhat pale weisse color is suffused with an orangish tint. The head is large and nearly white. It's not quite a Schneider head, but it's totally worthy, and it pillows beautifully into a whipped-cream cloud. The smell is extremely citrusy, reminding me of a witbier.

I take a taste and find that the lemon is indeed overdone. Way overdone. It tastes closer to a Blanche de Brooklyn than a weiss, but it's not as good as the blanche because the lemon is so overdone that it's starting to remind me of lemon drops! This is a textbook example of my axiom "When I taste that much lemon it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide." With each passing sip the sweetness disturbs me more and more. If it weren't for that sweetness I'd be less inclined to say that the lemon is overdone, but man... the finish is so lemony that a minute after a take a swallow I'm still puckering from the sweet/sour tang in the back of my mouth!

Aside from being way too lemon-droppy, it's not as full-bodied, chewy, and wheaty as a weissbier should be. These guys need to take some lessons from Schneider. I can barely even taste any yeast over this s**t. I'm not finishing this one. The ham-handed, clumsy way in which they throw the lemon around is really pissing me off. (1,423 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Cloudy amber body with a decent off-white head. Nice lace effect. Lots of yeast suspension and particles. The nose is full of fruit and sweet malts. The flavor carries notes of raisins, licorice and mostly cloves. Not my favorite style and that shows in my number here. Medium to light body. The drinkability is helped by the low ABV, high for the style. (354 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%

Another 3-year-old bottle from my stash, so this is a review of how well it ages, which a weiss is not meant to do...

A slight flowery nose when opened, then pours a dark weiss color, with a little less than standard haziness. The spicy flavor has subsided, leaving the malt to deepen to an almost syrupy richness. Hop flavor is subtle, more to make the alcohol feel a little warmer. Taste is well out of the style profile, but ages to a fine beer nonetheless. (463 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -18.6%

Shocked and chagrined!

Two Brothers Brown Fox was one of the first beers I really fell in love with. And considering that I love hefe-weisse beer, I thought I had to give this a try. Don't make the same mistake.

It pours like day old champagne. The tiny lace dissipates quickly. Reminds me of stuff I used to play drinking games with. The "suspension" of yeast is disgusting; the beer's not uniformly cloudly, just filled with specks of crap. It smells good, but looks skunky.

Speaking of the smell, it's not bad -- somewhat estery with nice spices, a little sweet.

The primary taste is gumballs followed maybe by vanilla and clove. A lot of esters. No real balance or distinction to any of the flavors. Completely artificial.

This is the harshest microbrew I've had in my mouth to date. It feels a little like Miller Genuine Draft, not as bad as Icehouse. Very sharp and piercing, over carbonated . . . what the hell is going on here?

I'm going to finish my six pack, keep buying Brown Fox Ale for sessions, and never think about this beer again. It's drinkable, but not really a hefe at all. It has no body, no character, no sophisitication. As a hefe-head, I was insulted.

Relax, relax.
ng (1,214 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

A fairly lackluster attempt at the style. The beer pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden with minimal fluff to the head. Aromas, and flavors of clove are present but muted at best. An annoying sour-ball lemon flavor lingers on the finish and kills off the clove and banana notes trying to come forward. A drinkable yet rather boring offering. (341 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +6.5%

Originally sampled on 12 April 2003. Hazy golden, w/ lots of carbonation, Ebelweiss has lots of banana & clove on the nose & palate. It has the crispness of a good wheat beer but does finish w/ a bit of sourness on the tongue. This is a real thirst-quencher (257 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

It's burnt orange and yellow mixed, with a hazy middle. A very large and well retaining head is fluffy and beautiful. Zingy aroma, typical solid weiss aroma, althought a bit reserved. Flavor is a refreshing concoction of vanilla, clove, pepper, banana, and yeast. It's creamy at first and zingy through the finish.....a refreshing treat. (337 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

Color is a bright, golden hue, cloudy at the top, clear at the foot. I've poured the contents of this bottle into a fantastic weizen glass, Aventinus, to insure optimum conditions, and produced a large, fluffy, proud, white head. Aroma is all the usual earmarks for style: fresh, a touch floral, but large with lemon, some spiciness, yes, vanilla, yes, I can imagine cloviness, and there's a whiff of bananas. Quite enticing and appetizing, but not as large as other weizens I've enjoyed.
The palate feels great graininess, followed by a phalanx of hops that continues it's advance throughout the finish. Light body, low malt, but the flavor continues sip after sip. An excellent summery brew that leaves me yearning for more, and anticipating more, perhaps bolder weizens when spring really starts to show itself. Very, very drinkable, but the flavor and aroma is a bid mild for my taste. (890 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured a yellow, straw color with a small, faint head. Initial smell is of strong floral, I could not pick up any fruity/banana smell. Initial taste is of light honey with a strong corn flavor that sticks. The mouthfeel is much of the honey/corn feel, but it is very drinkable. Finishes very smooth.

Notes. Probably a good summer beer, picked up a single at Blue Max just to try a Two Bros. A lemon, 90 degrees and a deck, this would rate better. (450 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy, orangish/straw color. The head quickly dissipates, and leaves no lacing. The aroma is strong of bananas, and clove, which also flows into the flavor. It is light in body, and has a bit of a carbonic bite on the tongue. Overall, a light, refreshing, easy drinking brew. Definitely a good summer beer. (305 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

Ebelweiss: very cloudy, with an orange haze. The aroma is very strong coming out of the bottle, with a very strong aroma of bananas. Very little head. Very unusual taste, starts out very strong with bready malts that gives way to a strong taste of yeast/bananas. Quite odd. (273 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazy darker yellow -- chill hazed in the glass...head is nice and pillowy and starts at 1/2 an inch and laces decently. Fruity aroma, a little astringency, with notes of spiced pear and cloves. A little too lemony for my tastes but theres also a lot of bready and yeasty qualities here with a spicy finish. Esters are not whopping banana. Pepper at the close. A pretty nice Wheat, with good mouthfeel, and even though Hefes will never be favorites of mine, this was a pretty good one in most aspects aside from slight sourness. (527 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Cloudy, hazy yellow color, nice light fluffy foamy head, leaves I nice lace in my glass, aroma of banannas, bubblegum-banana flavor, light body and very drinkable not bad for the style. (185 characters)

The beer pours a beautiful "Chill Hazed" yellow-orange color, the off white head is prodigious, the lace lies in bulky sheets upon the glass. Nose is fruit sweet as in a ripe pineapple, maybe even over ripe peach? Begins malt sweet, the top thickset, the finish has a nice understated hop presence, pleasantly carbonated, droughty aftertaste, a quite quaffable beer. (366 characters)

Ebel's Weiss Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company