Heavy Handed IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Heavy Handed IPAHeavy Handed IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Availability: Fall

Heavy Handed IPA is brewed to celebrate the harvesting of the hops every year. Within moments of harvest we add freshly picked "Wet Hops" to this IPA. Since the hops have not been dried before use, they add a wonderful character found in no other beer. A hop lovers dream. (Available September through December) Each batch is "single hopped" with a different hop variety.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2002)

Im having this one for the first time, and I'm a little surprised Heavy Handed isn't rating in the 90's. Great beer.
Pours well, tastes excellent and finishes very nicely. This is a very good IPA. Unsurprising coming from Two Brothers.

Easily one of the best beers in the world. Probably the best IPA I have ever too, better than dogfish head 90 min ipa. If u have never had a beer made with fresh hops, well nothing compares. Its incredibly tasty. I am loading up on this stuff(cases), in st paul mn today (big top more places soon 8-9 bucks a six). Have not had this years yet but if anything like last years then my highest recommendation.
two brothers heavy handed ipa

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

One of my favorite local brewery's however over the year's they seem to be hit and miss. One thing I have in my favor is the freshness of this beer being that I live in Chicago and this comes from a nearby suburb. Ok enough chit chat .

Appearance - While it is no longer being bottled unfiltered as in the early year's of this fine brew I will still give it a full 5 for appearance. The reason for this is in it's beatiful dark orange and glowing hue that you know is going to be downright delicious. Last year's batch came out a little flat with no lacing and a kind of drab mouthfeel. This year is back up to snuff to say the least.

The smell of batch # 1, usually hopped with cluster, Is as usual, Malty and bitter with an herbal and almost hemp like aroma that smell's absolutely wonderful. So fresh that you begin to think that this is one of you're homebrewer friend's stash that he only shares with a couple of close friend's upon each and every hop harvest, in other word's a real treat. The beauty of this smell is that it is abscent of the usual west coast one to three c's aroma and has a smell that no other IPA that I can think of has. An achievement in itself.

Taste - As in each an every batch I've ever tasted it starts out with a bitterness that start's at the front of you're toungue and slowly moves back in a graceful manner to completely coat it in a solid bitterness that soon gives way to the sweetness of the carefully and well thought out malt selection. It then seems to become floral and fruity with a green hop finish that just beckon's you for another sip. As I said before, the absence of the usual three c's taste is a real treat. Totally original !!! Dont miss this one, I'm out of space

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

I have officially found my new IPA to buy by the case! I have long since loved the high-hopped-up beers in this category like Wachusett, Victory, Stone, Smutty...and still do, don't get me wrong...but here's an American IPA that has all of the flavors and none of the bite. It pours great, with a frothy head and an unbelievable amber color. The mouthfeel is good, and it has aromas of fresh flowers. I am overly impressed with this brewery!

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

Drank at source, served at cellar temperature in a 16 oz glass. This is kind of drinking experience is why one goes to the pub rather than stay at home and save money with a sixer. There is no substitute for a well-made beer served from the cask. An everyday experience in the old country, it is relatively rare here. Fortunately we live near the Two Brothers and there is always one on the cask.

It turns out there are several batches of the Heavy Handed made this year using different species of hops. The tap version was made with different hops from the ones (Cascade) that appear in the cask form. The difference is profound.

Beer appears almost clear warm walnut color with about a half inch of thick creamy head. Ebullient perfumed aroma fills the glass. On the palate there is a wonderful balance of fresh fruit (a hint of citrus but not overwhelming) and long-lasting bitterness.

It's not really high alcohol, but stronger than the average IPA I think; but it goes down with breathtaking ease. Dangerously so.

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%

Heavy handed is a cool beer. The two brothers (from what I hear) bring truckloads and truckloads of dry hops 'cross country from the West Coast to their small brewery in Warrenville, IL to prepare this offering. Just nice big juicy hops full of green wonderfulness.

If I have to describe the taste, I'd say a nice crisp organic(ish) brew with a strong hop presence (well probably due to truckloads and truckloads of hops) and an ease to drink that makes this almost dangerous. I purchased my first 6 pack about 2 weeks ago and I think I've been through 3 since then. Nice IPA.

Overall, 9.5/10. Good brew - the brothers take great pride in their beer and it shows, once again.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Edit this is the 2009 Two Bros Heavy Handed IPA wet hopped in all of its glory. The year I had it it didn't sit well with me, this year is right on the money. Appears a brilliant copper amber with a tight foaming off white head thick with nice speckled even coats of lacing with each sip. Aroma is like rolling in a field of hops big vinous layers of citrus, earthiness, and pine cone edges. Juicy malt body brings some caramel with that citric bitterness bringing on one of the most complex and hoppy tasting brews I've come across in recent memory. Flavor has biscuit and malt with a touch of honey sweetness to blend with abrasive hop bitterness and flavor. The wet hops are juicy and veggie like in nature with big citrus rind and pine cone flavors alot of herbal weed goodness flows up from my 1/2 liter Gordon Biersch willi glass. This year's version is 65 IBUs with 6.7% abv, I think it's beefier than years past full on resinous slick medium to full body going on, carbonation is soft and natural with each sip. Drinkability is great one of the best fresh hopped beers I've come across recently go and get yourself some if not trade for it.

Appears a deep copper amber hue with a light tan head that flows beautifully leaving lace with each and every tilt of the glass. Aroma has a flowing caramel malt profile combined with hops luscious hops at that with grassy, citrus, and pine qualities galore. Flavor provides a sugary mix of caramel malt and fresh cut hops with ample bitterness that seems a bit stale right now. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a slight oily texture and evenly carbonated flowing quite well at this point. Drinkability is mediocre so many other great IPAs why does this one seem like just another fish in the barrel.

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

Updated 10/08/2011:
Batch 2521 Centennial hops excellent but not as pronounced as described in the review below from 9/2010.

Pours amber brown with a thick head that persists and laces the glass.

Smell is piney and resiny hops that makes my mouth pucker.

Taste is strong hops, all hops, more hops, and happily so in a brew that is not overwhelming either with malt or alcohol. Some mango and grapefruit tinkling in the background, but the foreground is all pine and resin. Lip-smackingly good.

I'm so happy Heavy Handed is back: I was disappointed when there wasn't any at the Hop Juice Release Party over the summer. I remember what a revelation this beer was when I first encountered it, back before my beerevelation and hopvergence. And I've very happy it holds up both in time and to the tasting of many beers over that time.

Heavy Handed IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company