Heavy Handed IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Heavy Handed IPAHeavy Handed IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Availability: Fall

Heavy Handed IPA is brewed to celebrate the harvesting of the hops every year. Within moments of harvest we add freshly picked "Wet Hops" to this IPA. Since the hops have not been dried before use, they add a wonderful character found in no other beer. A hop lovers dream. (Available September through December) Each batch is "single hopped" with a different hop variety.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2002)

BeerLover99, Mar 22, 2014

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

hop_devil, Feb 22, 2014

gotek, Feb 16, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Little to no foam (but I think this bottle has been around a while). Nice copper red in color with decent light carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramel and raisins. A hint of pine in the background. Nice balance.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Strong notes of bourbon without the oak. A hint of boozy fruit as well. Clean flavors overall, but the mouthfeel is a bit thin for this style and does not always hold up to the nice flavors. Decent spritz in the finish.

Overall Drinkability: An easy drinking heavier IPA.

tjsdomer2, Feb 16, 2014
3.71/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a beer that is destined to give this site fits. When "Each batch is 'single hopped' with a different hop variety", that means that each one should be reviewed and treated as a separate entry. I will be delineating each of my reviews accordingly until this mess can be unscrewed.

From the bottle: "Within moments of harvest, we add fresh-picked American hops to this India Pale Ale. These 'wet hops' play nicely against a crisp, complex malt character. This hop lover's dream lives up to its name in a thoroughly enjoyable manner."; "Two Brothers is a craft brewery on the outskirts of Chicago that specializes in rare and seldom-brewed beer styles. The two of us - Jason and Jim Ebel - strive to produce the very best beers available anywhere."; "We hope that you enjoy them as much as we do!"

Centennial #1 (2013): I am using a VERY light hand in pouring this as these is some obvious sediment in the bottom of the bottle and I see no reason to disturb the lees. The result is no head with the exception of a light skim of wisps, but I will take that as a trade-off. Color was a slightly-hazy deep coppery-amber. I am sure that it could have been murky if I were less caring. Nose had that earthy, leafy smell of Centennial hops and my mouth was watering. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste had a fall-like earthiness: dried, decaying leaves awaiting raking. The finish evinces a pleasant, underlying caramel maltiness which works really well with this hop varietal. The last pour was murky, justifying my earlier stance WRT the pour. The nose was much more pronounced now and I wish that there were some way to get more of the same.

Willamette (2013): Once again, I do not trust my storage and aging process to attempt anything more than a gentle pour. No head to speak of, not even wisps. Oh well. It paid off as the color was a deep-copper (SRM = 7) with NE-quality clarity. The nose was soft, minty, underlain by caramel, much like a Brach's Peppermint Caramel when I was younger. Drool. The way I have been ripping through AIPAs in the last couple of days, I may lapse into a hops coma. There are MUCH worse ways to go. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, but the hops were immediately present on the tongue. Very minty, almost like a York Peppermint Patty or snowfall in a pine forest. Man, I was really digging this action! The finish was super dry and I was gasping for breath. I wonder if hops can trigger an asthma attack? Again, many worse ways to die. I want more, more, more! No wonder that I am a hops junkie and not simply a self-avowed hophead. The last pour from the bottle had a slight muddiness and the caramel malt was more pronounced.

woodychandler, Feb 09, 2014

paulgarrison, Feb 09, 2014

Zanico, Feb 08, 2014

CSO, Feb 05, 2014

jbaker67, Jan 31, 2014

comfortablynirm, Jan 29, 2014
3.94/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an IPA glass from a 12 ounce bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Hazy dark golden-amber body. Glows in the light but not fully transparent. Fluffy white head sits on top and leaves moderate lacing throughout.

Smell: Citrus notes dominate the nose. Grapefruit is the most identifiable fruit. There is a somewhat pronounced note of grains... a bit of a surprise for an IPA.

Taste: Bitter notes of grapefruit up front. There are minor earthy notes of herbs and pine... very minor and blends well with the citrus notes. A somewhat surprising hit of bready malts in the finish. Finishes dry but sweet notes develop in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Great IPA. Certainly not a world-beater but definitely an enjoyable brew. My biggest complaint would be the lack of power from the hops. The malts seem to mask what could be an incredibly hoppy IPA.

Chiefy770, Jan 27, 2014

jtransel, Jan 26, 2014

mattmarka1, Jan 17, 2014

bigbluebeerguy, Jan 17, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

bigbeerfan, Jan 16, 2014

ColForbinBC, Jan 13, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

I was hoping to be blown away by the wet hops, but I wasn't. I paired the bottle with a mushroom and swiss burger. It left me thirstier than before the food. There was nothing particularly bad about this beer, but nothing extraordinary either. The aftertaste was subdued by the feeling of needing something else to quench my thirst.

Big-Frog, Jan 11, 2014