Hop Centric Double India Pale Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-12-2005

Formerly known as Hop Juice.
1.86/5  rDev -52.6%

Dense off-white head with a reddish-amber body. Plenty of head retention and sticky lacing.

Aroma is heavy on malt, caramel, and toffee. Reminds me of those old Sugar Daddy candies. Some dank, piney and citrusy hops in the background. Really hard to tell though.

More caramel and light toffee flavors. Intense alcohol and bitter astringency creates one of the worst finishes I've ever had on a beer. Between the fiercely present alcohol and sweet malt I can't even taste any hop flavor. Maybe some nutty, piney simcoe but I'm just grabbing at anything here. The flavor gets a little more dank and nutty as it warms. Hop Juice, this is not. Bordering on fail territory. (670 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -46.2%

Bomber poured into a Blue Point 10th anny goblet.

Pours a nice amber color with 1 finger head and decent retention and lacing.

Smell is a little lacking in the hops dept, definately think this bottle is a little old, I remember this beer being much more hoppy, but im getting a lot of caramel malt in the nose

Taste pretty much follows the smell. Caramel malt sweetness, with a little bit of yeast, and not much hops at all.

Im not very happy with this at all. Definately an old bottle so im cutting this review short. (522 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.8%

Over the past few years, as I've descended more and more into a love of fine beers, my appreciation for hops has exploded. As of even 3-4 years ago, I probably would have nursed a pint of a good IPA for several hours. Now, I love a strong resinous, grapefruity, piney, lemony, orangey, floral, spicy and earthy (ie hoppy) beer. With that said, I was excited to see Two Brothers brewing up a special DIPA, especially in 22 oz bottles. But they got it all wrong... =(

Pours a medium brown amber color with a very small white head. The scent isn't bad - you can tell from the aroma that this is a hoppy beer, though no particular hop scents emerge.

As for the taste, well - this is the definition of a one-dimensional, over-the-top beer. The overuse of bitter, Pacific hops is overwhelming, and yet there's almost no hop flavor to the beer! The mouthfeel is chalky and overly bitter, yet surprisingly the beer isn't even suprisingly particularly resinous (it doesn't have that fantastic hop oil presence that I love).

The bottle claims 100.1 IBU - I won't disagree. It's just 100.1 IBUs without any flavor, which makes for a rather poor beer. Very disappointing. (1,168 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -40.3%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer #2: Bombers BIF.

Poured into a tulip, this one has a blood orange tinged amber body with a light beige finger of head sitting on top. Lacing is all over this thing. This looks great.

Smell is very sweet and sugary. Looks like some tropical hops are laced into this thing as well.

Taste is bitter grapefruit, malty sweet, fusel alcohol, and metallic. This is a big one and its definitely an East Coast interpretation.

Mouthfeel is heavy, sticky, and gummy. I'm not digging it.

Drinkability is kind of low. Its big, its easy side, and hard to drink.

This is exactly what I expect when I think of a mid-west or east coast interpretation of a big IPA. Personally I think beers like this could show a little restraint on the hops and get thrown into a barrel and called a barrel aged barleywine. That or scale back on the fermentables and let the hops shine thru to become the stars of the show. Either way, its not my favorite interpretation of the style. (1,003 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this beer a handfull of times in previous years, and thought it was pretty good, but never outstanding. I haven't taken a sip yet, so well see how either it or myself has changed. BTW i work 4 miles from Two Brothers, and frequent there quite often, it's my local.

Pours a dark amber color with a really big head. the head is good but the color doesn't do it for me. It is semi-clear otherwise.

nose is piney, not much citrus, and a slight tropical note. there is a malt sweetness coming through too.

Man this is way too balanced, and it is only 3 weeks old. actually alot of what is bugging me right now is the mouth feel is as creamy as it could possibly be, like steamed whipping cream creamy, with a low carbination. i need my ipas to be bitting and dry, with high carb preferably. but the caramel flavor from the malt comes through, and there is a Piney hop profile that has some resin qualities inside, with a light light citrus-esqe hint.

Dang, i was hoping they changed the recipe. let me say this, Hop Juice's smaller brother, Heavy Handed, is alot better beer then Hop Juice. (1,099 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -33.9%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer on tap at The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL with (among others) my two brothers-in-law Steven and Mat August 21st, 2010. Mat lives within minutes of this place and we enjoy visiting there when I am in town. Poured into standard pint glass.

A Amber colored translucent body with minimal head that leaves good lacing on the inside of the glass. 3.5

S I don't know why but I got the distinct smell of dishwater with distant hops. Repeated sniffs revealed the same thing. I was not very impressed with that. 2.0

T Intense hops as I thought that I would taste up front but unfortunately not much else is going on with this beer. I found the malt presence to be thin. 2.5

M Full, big tasting beer with the hops intensity. 3.0

D Fair drinkability because of the intense hops but lack of other interest for me. Also the drinkability is driven down by the high ABV. 3.0

Notes: I am a little disappointed in this one which was brewed near Lisle where I had it from tap (into the pint glass). (1,035 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Clear orange amber color. Two fingers of thick creamy off-white head with good retention and lots of lacing.

3.5 S: Dank, pungent hops. Grapefruit, herbal, woody, and some pine. Simple, but very nice.

2.0 T: Unholy union of booze, too sweet caramel, and citrusy hops make an undesirable peachy flavor. I'm not a fan of DIPAs that go this route. Even worse, the bitterness is just about fully covered up my the other aspects. Higher bitterness would have made this more palatable.

3.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Needs to be a lot more creamier, especially for what it tastes like.

2.0 D: Not a big fan of this one. This type of DIPA definitely has a niche following, but unfortunately I'm not a part of it. (756 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

We have an excellent selection of hoppy brews in Cleveland and I purchased this bomber at the local Wild Oats.

A: nice amber color, foam head dissipates quickly, minimal lace.

S: What smell? Not much here. Maybe subtle hops if I put my nose into the brew (and I mean INTO).

T: Yes there are hops, brief, gone with the swallow. Disappointment considering the cost of the bomber and the name on the label.

M: Thin, as if this was a European lager. Sad. Maybe this bottle was stored in sunlight?

D: You can definitely drink many of these, and I would say it is more of a session brew, though I'm sure that is not the intent.

I will not be trying another bomber at $5.95/per, but look forward to other evaluations. For my money, I will stick with Great Lakes, Bells or Victory for my Hop fix. (806 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy burnt orange; tan/white head which slowly fades and leaves nice lacing and retention. Okay, this DIPA is malt forward. Tons of caramel and orange peel in the nose. The flavors are on the sweeter side and is loaded with sticky resin. Alot more caramel and butterscotch in the mix. The hops are there, but not in the way most people would expect with the style. The malts definitely outweight the hops. There's a ton of pine resin going on in the flavors. This one has a bit of a spicy kick to it. There's a subtle warmth in the finish, but it's not too hot or boozy. Mouthfeel is very nice; full-bodied; fluffy and creamy. The alcohol is actually well hidden and goes down relatively smooth. Malty-resin bomb!

Okay, I'm a fan of Two Brothers, especially when it comes to their hoppy beers. This DIPA is just a big miss for me. At the same time, I acknowledge that this is what they were going for and there's a market for this type of DIPA. Maybe I'm being a little tough, but this was ultimately a disappointment. But hey, people seem to really enjoy this one, so don't take my word for it. It just doesn't have what I personally look for in the style. Others may enjoy this type of DIPA. I'll admit it's unique. At the end of the day, the craftsmanship is there. (1,315 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

yeesh.

orange and syrupy. peppered (cluttered) with particles like a snow globe. like a septic tank snow globe. sticky thick and airy, bubbly lacing. not very appetizing in appearance at all but mesmerizing to watch.. the brown chunks whirlpool and excite with the slightest movement of the glass. not the biggest aroma. some citrusy hints of hops but not much. some fresh brown sugar-infused butter cookie. taste is a dominant bitterness which is even, strong, and lingering. not chalky, but intense. i can sense some flavors right before the bitterness, something like juniper berries and jet fuel. slight note of sweet malt along the lines of the brown sugar aroma.

excess for the sake of excess? no thanks. not a repeater. (733 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber in to my new Double Bastard glass.

Pours a nice copper color with one finger of white head that will leave lacing down the glass. No carbonation to speak of.

The nose is much maltier than would be expected of a DIPA. Has a really sweet and syrupy smell with pine and citrus hop aroma. So far, from the nose of this beer, I really don't know what to expect from this brew.

I kind of saw this one coming. A little bit too sweet and malty from what I would expect of a DIPA. Grapefruit and citrus hops, toasted bread and caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and syrupy. Finishes a bit dry.

I really don't know what to make of this beer. It's not unpleasant to the taste, but the malt flavors stand out too significantly for a DIPA. It's pretty balanced but in my mind is too syrupy and sweet for what I would look for in this style of beer. (892 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

A - deep, dark orange; borderline brown. No head and no lacing.

S - caramel. I don't smell any hops, which appears strange on a 100+ IBU beer.

T - very malty at first, but then a hop aftertaste. The bitterness sticks with you after each sip...but definitely not hop forward. This beer has a very strange, not good aftertaste.

D - I wouldn't pick this as my go to beer but any means. It's nice for a 10%er and doesn't come off boozie at all. But there is something with the aftertaste...hmm...can't pin it. Either way, it's a beer I can't get. So it was nice to try. (568 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27%

Bomber poured in SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a near perfect double ipa. Bright golden sunshine with some cloudiness, a crisp white head with some stickiness.

S: Doesn't really do it for me... Quite a bit toned down for a dipa. Not a huge hope burst some sweet malt notes are detected.

T: Meh... Not the truly artistic blend of floral, citrus and piney hops I'm used to from the West Coast big guys. Had a few different fresh samplings of this to compare, and all the same for me. Bitter hops tend to dominate, but it isn't event that crazy for a dipa. In short, not the hop bomb I had hoped...

M: Thinnish, not sticky or really stand out in any way. Little low on the carbonation front.

D: Went down easy, but would move on pretty quickly.

This one is just middle of the road for me... (790 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance: An easy pour into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass conjures forth a clear, amber colored brew. There's an ample 1 inch + worth of thick, bubbly, craggy head. Retention is outstanding, barely diminishing as I consume this beverage. Lacing is impressive too, leaving lots of thick sticky schlop all along the sides of the glass.

Smell: A subtle hop presence, a mix of citrusy bitterness and earthy spice blended with a strong biscuity malt backbone.

Taste: A little disappointing here. With a name like Hop Juice I was expecting the hops to be much stronger. Instead I find them fighting a losing battle with the biscuity malt. Sure, the citrusy grapefruit I picked up in the nose is there, but it doesn't stand out like it should.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with good carbonation. Leaves a nice tingle on the tongue. Texture is slick, almost oily. Not the best feature of this beer.

Drinkability: An average at best DIPA, I find this particular brew to be too malty for the style. Couple that with an unimpressive mouthfeel and I would hesitate to recommend this to anybody looking to get a good hop fix. (1,114 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

On-tap at Twisted Spoke. Served in a pint glass.

A- Cloudy dark orange with no head and no retention. A few rising bubbles here and there but nothing special.

S- Very sweet with toffee and caramel malt and some citrus hop bitterness of pink grapefruit, orange some lemon zest and pine.

T- Sweetness is again very prominent in the taste followed by some grapefruit, orange, lemon zest faint tropical notes with perhaps some pineapple. Pine is present as well.

M- Low to medium carbonation and medium body. Oily mouthfeel that finishes dry, bitter and a bit warm from the fairly noticeable 9.9%.

O- Wasn't really impressed by this beer. Way too sweet for my liking in DIPA's and the boozy finish really hurt the drinkability. Maybe it was better fresh and out of a bottle. (775 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dark gold in color. Only a little bit of head forms atop the beer. Smell is subtle hops and a ton of malt. Taste is much the same. I don't know when this was bottled, but I just bought it yesterday. This is all malt, all the time. Medium body on the mouthfeel. I was expecting something different and alot more hops. (324 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24%

I havent been too satisfied with Two Brothers as of late. The girlfriend picked up this bottle and shared a glass with me.

A- Standard looking clear amber with a moderately sized white cap. Decent lacing builds.

S- I dont know how fresh this bottle is but it cant be more than a month or so old. Already I feel like it might be starting to fade. The nose is really malty. Lots of caramel with alcohol and a faint touch of pine and citrus.

T- Again, for something named Hop Juice I expected more hoppiness. This beer could be fading but if that is the case Im surprised at how fast it went. Caramel and biscuity malts are the dominant flavors. The finish has some nice bitterness from citrus hops but its not a hop bomb. Its getting close to an English barleywine. (767 characters)

Thanks to my beautiful wife for this brew, one of several untried beers that arrived in a box for my most recent birthday. What more could one ask for in a wife? Oh, lots, I know, but she has most of that stuff too...lucky me!

First, let me say: please be good. Of the handful of 2 Bros. brews I've had, none have distinguished themselves from a lackluster macro, & I want to like their beers. Maybe this hopball-buster is the magic. Let's go.

Beer is classic IPA in coloring & let me add, that lacing is for old people & little girls, not beers. I've seen the worst beer in the world leave lacing that would make a black widow proud. Seriously, who gives a rip? Smell is suspiciously subdued for a DIPA. Please, no.

Blah. Another sip, same reaction. I get the hops, but they're balanced out by that brewery "standard" that I just find bland & unappealing. Too much malt.

Mouthfeel is fine, drinkability suffers greatly. Disappointed, again. Average, & not good for a DIPA. (980 characters)

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. After pouring the first part of this into the 16 oz. glass I was using, I got a one finger head that quickly dissipated into surface skim and it left a gritty looking lacing that was different from the usual graceful lacing I have come to expect from DIPA's and AIPA's. I realized that the crazy amount of yeast I saw in the bottle ( before pouring ) should have been handled like a Belgian, that is, carefully decanted, which is what I did with pour for the remainder. This second pour yielded no head and there was no lacing. Of course, in both cases the color was the usual orange-copper-amber that would be expected for the style.

Aroma - The nose was piney hops, and hint of bready, caramelly, malt.

Taste - From the first pour ( the undecanted pour ) , the taste was chalky, gritty, sour yeast, and not much else. Some resiny hops and again hint of carmelly malt. With the second pour ( decanted pour ) much more of both hops and malt were much more discernable, and again was it just the resiny hops, and the bready, caramelly malt just barely registering. The malt was doing it's job of backbone, just without too much flair. The resin hops were big flavor, but not as big as I expected, and not that good at that. That is, lots of hops just not much in the way of excellent hop flavor (the grapefruit, oranges, floral, etc. ), and not all that bitter, either , for the style ( which is a testament to the strength of the malt backbone balancing it, even though it is very unimpressive flavorwise ). Though it will be very bitter, and sour if you get too much yeast in it, as I did the first pour. The good news with the high abv is that I could not taste it at all, and there was no alcohol burn, which I think are excellent traits - in fact, the only thing making me take notice of the abv is the slight buzz I had going on at the end of this bottle. Dry, bitter, resiny finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - full, a little chewy, not much carbonation. If you fail to decant it will also be disgustingly gritty and chalky, if you do decant it, than it won't. Moderate to low mouth coating from hop oils, which is actually dissappointingly low considering the style.

Drinkability - goes down easy if you decant, and not, if you don't. It's not a bad brew, it's just somewhat one dimensional with the resin hop taste ( decanted version, that is ), which is not really the hop taste that hopheads want from their DIPA's and AIPA's ( they, at least I, want the more citrusy and floral thing going on with a little, that is, a little of the pine and resin in there ) . Also high abv limits it to one or two max at any given sitting.

Note - my numbers and descriptions of taste, aroma, etc., here (except where noted ) are all reflective of the decanted pour , which is of course, the intended presentation, and hence accurate ratings from my experience of this ale. (2,911 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

22 oz bottle. Pours light copper with a with a 2 cm off white head. Aroma of dirty socks and dank, overwhelming. Initial flavor of sweet malt and grapefruit, followed by dry hoppiness and alcohol. Some lacing, light to medium body, short lasting aftertaste, and some noted alcohol. Drinkability is limited due to the pure craziness of this DIPA, but for the hopheads its glory. (377 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.7%

Thanks, Todd. First beer proper by Two Brothers. Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. No freshness date, other than "believe in the swirl 2013." Uhh... Thanks, I guess.

Glad to see a different color on this one after ramming through dozens of similar to looking DIPAs. Hop Centric pours a super hazy, cloudy amber orange, to the point where it looks like apricot or papaya juice. There's not much of a head on this, but it does rise to about 1.5 fingers worth before settling down eventually (though it takes a while) to next to nothing. Huge alcohol legs and decent lacing on the glass. Very viscous. Each initial swirl revealed its thick, bread-like nature as all the foam rose to the top by the end. It deteriorates over time, but I'm glad it's different from others in its class.

The aroma consists of resinous, slightly candied citrus peel, pine needles, tons of caramel, tons of caramel, and tons of honey as well. This thing is swimming in sugar and booze, for the most part. The hops are most definitely there, but the booze is high enough to produce brandy like characteristics. This must be an old bottle, because otherwise I don't know where this is trying to go. I really try to find fruity notes, but alas, I fail each time. Very bready and sweet and astringent, but totally unbalanced.

The flavor is equally head scratching in terms of approaching this to style, so at this point, I'm only overseeing the beer for what it is. Dried lemon and citrus peel rush the front of the tongue, only to then be replaced by intense notes of caramel and toffee and honey, as before. There's a robust, earthy breadiness that follows, but it's brief and replaced by a lot of the heat from the alcohol, as well as the sugary syrupy feel of everything else. It's luckily not too cloying, but I fail to see how this is above 100 IBU's. It's just really boozy and sweet and resembles orange filled caramel candy, but that's about it. At least it's pretty silky in feel, and if it weren't for the extra booze burn, this would be almost perfect.

I immediately have a strong love-hate relationship with this one, as it is relatively easy to drink with its juicy mouthfeel, but extremely underwhelming in terms of flavor, or it terms of being the hoppy beer it is advertised as. Very sweet and boozy, but not completely terrible. It's just not my favorite. (2,362 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Pours a bold orange/copper color. Not much of a head, a thin white layer of foam that dispersed fairly quickly.

S: A slight hops smell -citrusy, grapefruit. Not as strong as I would expect or look for in a double IPA, but not too bad overall.

T : After not being overly impressed by the smell or the appearance, the taste comes through as being quite solid. Starts off very bitter, with a resiny hop taste, finishes with a strong bitterness. The finish is definitely stronger than the start, and the aftertaste is pleasant. Not great, but decent. The malt character is completely hidden by the hops, as is the alcohol.

M: Smooth, not too watery, and not too syrupy. Good consistency and smooth going down.

D: This is a decent double IPA. Not the best I've had, but certainly not the worst. I've got one more of these in the fridge. After that, I would probably either go to another double IPA I haven't tried or one of my standbys. I'm curious to see how it tastes as it warms up. (991 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Golden amber color with a slightly off white head. Was able to get about 2 fingers width of head that had a good lasting time. When it settled, there was some sticky lacing.

Smell - Just a slight citrus note with mostly earthy pine.

Taste - A lot of maltiness in the taste. Just a slight hoppy back end. Not well balanced, compared to some of the better DIPA's I have had.

Mouthfeel - Thick like a lot of DIPA's. Little to no carbonation, which I missed because of the thickness.

Drinkability - DIPA's are never high on my list of drinkability, and this one is no different. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't drink a lot of it.

I would only recommend this to friends of mine that are looking to try new IPA's. This wouldn't be on the top of my list. (818 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

A_Pours a medium copper with a small off white head. There is very good retention though as this small cap manages to retain its integrity the whole way.

S_Surprisingly only minor hops here. The caramel malt aroma dominates though is mild.

T_First sip is fairly sweet, caramel malt and a minor yeasty note. The follow up is mildly bitter and it ends up very dry. Hop profile tastes of grapefruit but ends up mostly just bitter. Not much depth here for a Double IPA.

M_Mildly sticky with a medium carbonation.

D_Just not doing it for me. Seems to be a run of the mill version of the style without much substance. (616 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a red amber with a half finger head, beer pours clear, and objects can be made out through the redness. Lacing is ample and thick with a hint of green? Is it all in my head?

Smell- Hops are heavy and gluey. I'm smelling malt but it's not powerful at all. I am very glad I have let this beer warm so I can detect the little malt that is there.

Taste- Sweet grapefruit fruitiness and gluey hop presence. It's like eating a paper with hop syrup stuck to it. Papery, thick, syrupy, like sucking on a hop cone. Sweet, almost like candi sugar has been added. Very astringent.

Mouthfeel- Astringent, gluey, full-bodied, highly-carbonated, very high in the ABV department.

Drinkability- Good, but too thick. I won't be going for this on tap again. (815 characters)

Hop Centric Double India Pale Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company