Hop Centric Double India Pale Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Hop Centric Double India Pale AleHop Centric Double India Pale Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Availability: Summer

Formerly known as Hop Juice.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-12-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
JasonLRose

07-20-2012 09:16:35 | More by JasonLRose
BearsOnAcid

1.8/5  rDev -54.7%

Dense off-white head with a reddish-amber body. Plenty of head retention and sticky lacing.

Aroma is heavy on malt, caramel, and toffee. Reminds me of those old Sugar Daddy candies. Some dank, piney and citrusy hops in the background. Really hard to tell though.

More caramel and light toffee flavors. Intense alcohol and bitter astringency creates one of the worst finishes I've ever had on a beer. Between the fiercely present alcohol and sweet malt I can't even taste any hop flavor. Maybe some nutty, piney simcoe but I'm just grabbing at anything here. The flavor gets a little more dank and nutty as it warms. Hop Juice, this is not. Bordering on fail territory.

09-04-2011 20:13:48 | More by BearsOnAcid
Paulydeets

2.1/5  rDev -47.1%

Bomber poured into a Blue Point 10th anny goblet.

Pours a nice amber color with 1 finger head and decent retention and lacing.

Smell is a little lacking in the hops dept, definately think this bottle is a little old, I remember this beer being much more hoppy, but im getting a lot of caramel malt in the nose

Taste pretty much follows the smell. Caramel malt sweetness, with a little bit of yeast, and not much hops at all.

Im not very happy with this at all. Definately an old bottle so im cutting this review short.

03-15-2011 02:39:28 | More by Paulydeets
CEDAMA

2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

02-19-2013 03:11:38 | More by CEDAMA
jahred

2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

Over the past few years, as I've descended more and more into a love of fine beers, my appreciation for hops has exploded. As of even 3-4 years ago, I probably would have nursed a pint of a good IPA for several hours. Now, I love a strong resinous, grapefruity, piney, lemony, orangey, floral, spicy and earthy (ie hoppy) beer. With that said, I was excited to see Two Brothers brewing up a special DIPA, especially in 22 oz bottles. But they got it all wrong... =(

Pours a medium brown amber color with a very small white head. The scent isn't bad - you can tell from the aroma that this is a hoppy beer, though no particular hop scents emerge.

As for the taste, well - this is the definition of a one-dimensional, over-the-top beer. The overuse of bitter, Pacific hops is overwhelming, and yet there's almost no hop flavor to the beer! The mouthfeel is chalky and overly bitter, yet surprisingly the beer isn't even suprisingly particularly resinous (it doesn't have that fantastic hop oil presence that I love).

The bottle claims 100.1 IBU - I won't disagree. It's just 100.1 IBUs without any flavor, which makes for a rather poor beer. Very disappointing.

03-18-2005 17:53:23 | More by jahred
hopsbreath

Oregon

2.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer #2: Bombers BIF.

Poured into a tulip, this one has a blood orange tinged amber body with a light beige finger of head sitting on top. Lacing is all over this thing. This looks great.

Smell is very sweet and sugary. Looks like some tropical hops are laced into this thing as well.

Taste is bitter grapefruit, malty sweet, fusel alcohol, and metallic. This is a big one and its definitely an East Coast interpretation.

Mouthfeel is heavy, sticky, and gummy. I'm not digging it.

Drinkability is kind of low. Its big, its easy side, and hard to drink.

This is exactly what I expect when I think of a mid-west or east coast interpretation of a big IPA. Personally I think beers like this could show a little restraint on the hops and get thrown into a barrel and called a barrel aged barleywine. That or scale back on the fermentables and let the hops shine thru to become the stars of the show. Either way, its not my favorite interpretation of the style.

09-20-2010 01:07:34 | More by hopsbreath
Dcunicelli

2.5/5  rDev -37%

09-16-2013 22:41:41 | More by Dcunicelli
DavoleBomb

2.53/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Clear orange amber color. Two fingers of thick creamy off-white head with good retention and lots of lacing.

3.5 S: Dank, pungent hops. Grapefruit, herbal, woody, and some pine. Simple, but very nice.

2.0 T: Unholy union of booze, too sweet caramel, and citrusy hops make an undesirable peachy flavor. I'm not a fan of DIPAs that go this route. Even worse, the bitterness is just about fully covered up my the other aspects. Higher bitterness would have made this more palatable.

3.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Needs to be a lot more creamier, especially for what it tastes like.

2.0 D: Not a big fan of this one. This type of DIPA definitely has a niche following, but unfortunately I'm not a part of it.

07-17-2010 01:04:18 | More by DavoleBomb
ChadQuest

2.53/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this beer a handfull of times in previous years, and thought it was pretty good, but never outstanding. I haven't taken a sip yet, so well see how either it or myself has changed. BTW i work 4 miles from Two Brothers, and frequent there quite often, it's my local.

Pours a dark amber color with a really big head. the head is good but the color doesn't do it for me. It is semi-clear otherwise.

nose is piney, not much citrus, and a slight tropical note. there is a malt sweetness coming through too.

Man this is way too balanced, and it is only 3 weeks old. actually alot of what is bugging me right now is the mouth feel is as creamy as it could possibly be, like steamed whipping cream creamy, with a low carbination. i need my ipas to be bitting and dry, with high carb preferably. but the caramel flavor from the malt comes through, and there is a Piney hop profile that has some resin qualities inside, with a light light citrus-esqe hint.

Dang, i was hoping they changed the recipe. let me say this, Hop Juice's smaller brother, Heavy Handed, is alot better beer then Hop Juice.

06-26-2010 04:29:54 | More by ChadQuest
adamette

2.6/5  rDev -34.5%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer on tap at The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL with (among others) my two brothers-in-law Steven and Mat August 21st, 2010. Mat lives within minutes of this place and we enjoy visiting there when I am in town. Poured into standard pint glass.

A Amber colored translucent body with minimal head that leaves good lacing on the inside of the glass. 3.5

S I don't know why but I got the distinct smell of dishwater with distant hops. Repeated sniffs revealed the same thing. I was not very impressed with that. 2.0

T Intense hops as I thought that I would taste up front but unfortunately not much else is going on with this beer. I found the malt presence to be thin. 2.5

M Full, big tasting beer with the hops intensity. 3.0

D Fair drinkability because of the intense hops but lack of other interest for me. Also the drinkability is driven down by the high ABV. 3.0

Notes: I am a little disappointed in this one which was brewed near Lisle where I had it from tap (into the pint glass).

08-30-2010 03:29:52 | More by adamette
CaptCleveland

2.65/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

We have an excellent selection of hoppy brews in Cleveland and I purchased this bomber at the local Wild Oats.

A: nice amber color, foam head dissipates quickly, minimal lace.

S: What smell? Not much here. Maybe subtle hops if I put my nose into the brew (and I mean INTO).

T: Yes there are hops, brief, gone with the swallow. Disappointment considering the cost of the bomber and the name on the label.

M: Thin, as if this was a European lager. Sad. Maybe this bottle was stored in sunlight?

D: You can definitely drink many of these, and I would say it is more of a session brew, though I'm sure that is not the intent.

I will not be trying another bomber at $5.95/per, but look forward to other evaluations. For my money, I will stick with Great Lakes, Bells or Victory for my Hop fix.

01-28-2007 22:22:19 | More by CaptCleveland
KBoudreau66

2.7/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber in to my new Double Bastard glass.

Pours a nice copper color with one finger of white head that will leave lacing down the glass. No carbonation to speak of.

The nose is much maltier than would be expected of a DIPA. Has a really sweet and syrupy smell with pine and citrus hop aroma. So far, from the nose of this beer, I really don't know what to expect from this brew.

I kind of saw this one coming. A little bit too sweet and malty from what I would expect of a DIPA. Grapefruit and citrus hops, toasted bread and caramel malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and syrupy. Finishes a bit dry.

I really don't know what to make of this beer. It's not unpleasant to the taste, but the malt flavors stand out too significantly for a DIPA. It's pretty balanced but in my mind is too syrupy and sweet for what I would look for in this style of beer.

04-05-2009 00:45:02 | More by KBoudreau66
BB1313

2.71/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy burnt orange; tan/white head which slowly fades and leaves nice lacing and retention. Okay, this DIPA is malt forward. Tons of caramel and orange peel in the nose. The flavors are on the sweeter side and is loaded with sticky resin. Alot more caramel and butterscotch in the mix. The hops are there, but not in the way most people would expect with the style. The malts definitely outweight the hops. There's a ton of pine resin going on in the flavors. This one has a bit of a spicy kick to it. There's a subtle warmth in the finish, but it's not too hot or boozy. Mouthfeel is very nice; full-bodied; fluffy and creamy. The alcohol is actually well hidden and goes down relatively smooth. Malty-resin bomb!

Okay, I'm a fan of Two Brothers, especially when it comes to their hoppy beers. This DIPA is just a big miss for me. At the same time, I acknowledge that this is what they were going for and there's a market for this type of DIPA. Maybe I'm being a little tough, but this was ultimately a disappointment. But hey, people seem to really enjoy this one, so don't take my word for it. It just doesn't have what I personally look for in the style. Others may enjoy this type of DIPA. I'll admit it's unique. At the end of the day, the craftsmanship is there.

07-31-2013 23:55:21 | More by BB1313
goodbyeohio

Oregon

yeesh.

orange and syrupy. peppered (cluttered) with particles like a snow globe. like a septic tank snow globe. sticky thick and airy, bubbly lacing. not very appetizing in appearance at all but mesmerizing to watch.. the brown chunks whirlpool and excite with the slightest movement of the glass. not the biggest aroma. some citrusy hints of hops but not much. some fresh brown sugar-infused butter cookie. taste is a dominant bitterness which is even, strong, and lingering. not chalky, but intense. i can sense some flavors right before the bitterness, something like juniper berries and jet fuel. slight note of sweet malt along the lines of the brown sugar aroma.

excess for the sake of excess? no thanks. not a repeater.

10-26-2005 20:58:28 | More by goodbyeohio
chippo33

Vermont

08-10-2013 05:47:01 | More by chippo33
cbak999

2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

A - deep, dark orange; borderline brown. No head and no lacing.

S - caramel. I don't smell any hops, which appears strange on a 100+ IBU beer.

T - very malty at first, but then a hop aftertaste. The bitterness sticks with you after each sip...but definitely not hop forward. This beer has a very strange, not good aftertaste.

D - I wouldn't pick this as my go to beer but any means. It's nice for a 10%er and doesn't come off boozie at all. But there is something with the aftertaste...hmm...can't pin it. Either way, it's a beer I can't get. So it was nice to try.

09-04-2010 00:26:11 | More by cbak999
bwd110

2.83/5  rDev -28.7%

Bomber poured in SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a near perfect double ipa. Bright golden sunshine with some cloudiness, a crisp white head with some stickiness.

S: Doesn't really do it for me... Quite a bit toned down for a dipa. Not a huge hope burst some sweet malt notes are detected.

T: Meh... Not the truly artistic blend of floral, citrus and piney hops I'm used to from the West Coast big guys. Had a few different fresh samplings of this to compare, and all the same for me. Bitter hops tend to dominate, but it isn't event that crazy for a dipa. In short, not the hop bomb I had hoped...

M: Thinnish, not sticky or really stand out in any way. Little low on the carbonation front.

D: Went down easy, but would move on pretty quickly.

This one is just middle of the road for me...

07-30-2009 00:42:13 | More by bwd110
krisandajt

2.88/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance: An easy pour into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass conjures forth a clear, amber colored brew. There's an ample 1 inch + worth of thick, bubbly, craggy head. Retention is outstanding, barely diminishing as I consume this beverage. Lacing is impressive too, leaving lots of thick sticky schlop all along the sides of the glass.

Smell: A subtle hop presence, a mix of citrusy bitterness and earthy spice blended with a strong biscuity malt backbone.

Taste: A little disappointing here. With a name like Hop Juice I was expecting the hops to be much stronger. Instead I find them fighting a losing battle with the biscuity malt. Sure, the citrusy grapefruit I picked up in the nose is there, but it doesn't stand out like it should.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with good carbonation. Leaves a nice tingle on the tongue. Texture is slick, almost oily. Not the best feature of this beer.

Drinkability: An average at best DIPA, I find this particular brew to be too malty for the style. Couple that with an unimpressive mouthfeel and I would hesitate to recommend this to anybody looking to get a good hop fix.

01-31-2010 04:50:39 | More by krisandajt
iadler

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%

On-tap at Twisted Spoke. Served in a pint glass.

A- Cloudy dark orange with no head and no retention. A few rising bubbles here and there but nothing special.

S- Very sweet with toffee and caramel malt and some citrus hop bitterness of pink grapefruit, orange some lemon zest and pine.

T- Sweetness is again very prominent in the taste followed by some grapefruit, orange, lemon zest faint tropical notes with perhaps some pineapple. Pine is present as well.

M- Low to medium carbonation and medium body. Oily mouthfeel that finishes dry, bitter and a bit warm from the fairly noticeable 9.9%.

O- Wasn't really impressed by this beer. Way too sweet for my liking in DIPA's and the boozy finish really hurt the drinkability. Maybe it was better fresh and out of a bottle.

09-26-2011 03:40:49 | More by iadler
FtownThrowDown

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dark gold in color. Only a little bit of head forms atop the beer. Smell is subtle hops and a ton of malt. Taste is much the same. I don't know when this was bottled, but I just bought it yesterday. This is all malt, all the time. Medium body on the mouthfeel. I was expecting something different and alot more hops.

02-08-2008 00:02:03 | More by FtownThrowDown
MbpBugeye

2.98/5  rDev -24.9%

I havent been too satisfied with Two Brothers as of late. The girlfriend picked up this bottle and shared a glass with me.

A- Standard looking clear amber with a moderately sized white cap. Decent lacing builds.

S- I dont know how fresh this bottle is but it cant be more than a month or so old. Already I feel like it might be starting to fade. The nose is really malty. Lots of caramel with alcohol and a faint touch of pine and citrus.

T- Again, for something named Hop Juice I expected more hoppiness. This beer could be fading but if that is the case Im surprised at how fast it went. Caramel and biscuity malts are the dominant flavors. The finish has some nice bitterness from citrus hops but its not a hop bomb. Its getting close to an English barleywine.

08-08-2010 05:17:04 | More by MbpBugeye