Hop Centric Double India Pale Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Hop Centric Double India Pale AleHop Centric Double India Pale Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Availability: Summer

Formerly known as Hop Juice.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-12-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
alleykatking

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle

A- Pours a very nice looking darker copper amber color. Good two finger head that took a while to die down. Good sticky heavy lacing left on the sides of the glass. Very nice looking beer.

S- Nice big citrus hop (grapefruity) smell that makes my mouth water. Pair this with a caramel sweet malt balance that also hides a tint of piney hop smell. The only thing I don't like but doesn't bother me really is slight traces of alcohol that come and go.

T- Big citrus hop front upfront (grapefruit) paired up with the sweet caramel malts makes this a well balanced beer that I could sink my teeth into more and more. Bitter piney hops take up the ending to this beer. I like it a lot.

M- This is a medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation levels to this make the beer run across your palate in a hop stomp. Leaves a good oily hop resin on the teeth and tounge making you taste it long after the beer is gone.

D- This is a very drinkable DIPA that I could enjoy more if I had the money to buy one everyday. Sadly this is a treat for every once in a while.

07-14-2009 05:35:45 | More by alleykatking
roadhouse

22 oz. bomber into a snifter

Pours up a dark shade of red-orange with a one inch off-white head. Pretty good retention for being in the snifter, some decent lacing is left behind as a result.

Aroma is of juicy citrus hops, lots of orange and grapefruit. A touch of pine character in there too. It's balanced by a nice sweet caramel maltiness.

Taste is pretty much a nice balance between malt and hops. Again lots of citrusy orange and grapefruit flavors with some pine and grassiness and a very slight tropical fruit flavor. Finishes with the bitterness overtaking the malt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, good level of carbonation for the style. Good drinkability.

Pretty nice DIPA, I like 'em with some nice balancing sweetness and this one has elements of that, but not quite as much as I prefer. Pretty good one though.

07-11-2009 10:42:22 | More by roadhouse
BDLbrewster

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Pours a deep, syrupy looking golden-red color. Moderate head and a shit-ton of visible carbonation. Thick soapy lacing.

Smells of caramel and sweet, sugary hop candy. There are also some kind of herbal pine notes and slight hits of alcohol. No vicious bite to the smell like I expected. The aroma is not that strong.

The taste is very complex and balanced. A sweet distant caramel kind of malt flavor is put in check by a healthy kick of piney hop goodness. Something herbal comes to mind just before the hops fade into a semi-sweet chocolate, moderately bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is tits! Perfect amount of carbonation for me. Medium-light bodied and not overly coating in the mouth. Exceptional.

Drinkability is about as good as expected for a (basically) 10% brew. This bomber will finish off my night.

07-09-2009 00:32:26 | More by BDLbrewster
tronester

Oklahoma

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a dark, clear amber/brown with a thin tan head. Smell is oddly more malt based than hops, though there is a bit of piney hops in there. Taste on the other hand, is primarily hop dominated. Very piney, resinous, earthy hops, with a good deal of citrus in the finish as well. The bitterness DOES cling to your tongue like a tick though. There is a nice amount of caramel malt in there, but not enough to balance (that is ok though, the name is Hop Juice after all) Solid bitterness finishes the beer. Mouthfeel is rich, thick, and low carbonation levels. Drinkability is good; considering the ABV, I taste no alcohol.

The name makes the beer sound like it will be nothing but bitterness, citrus, pine, and earth, but it had a decent malt backbone that makes it almost balanced. ALMOST. Good pick though.

07-08-2009 23:18:59 | More by tronester
RustyDiamond

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased on 7.2.09 @ Four Firkins...no best by date noted on label. Crystal clear copper color with a full 3 fingers of cream colored head. Very pillowy head after a few sips, with some nice looking ringed lacing left in the glass. Really nice clarity.

Aroma of fragrant pine needles and dinner rolls.

Dense hop pine flavor up front. Rye breadiness with grapefruit tartness, with more of the omnipresent pine needle. Thick and bitter in the middle...dry and piney on the finish. Quite a chalky mouthfeel, with pine resin coating my teeth. A touch of citrus sweetness, but that's about it. This one is mostly on the pine end of the scale and not terribly balanced for most DIPAs I've had. This one was somewhat difficult to drink all 22oz.

07-05-2009 20:22:31 | More by RustyDiamond
dukedevil0

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked up a bomber from the recent batch at Binny's in Des Plaines, IL.

A: Pours a orangy-amber with a couple fingers of frothy white colored hear and leaves great lacing on the glass.

S: Smells of grapefruit, citrus, hops, slight pine, some maltiness lingering in the background.

T: The malt comes out way more in the flavor than in the smell; in my opinion, this is like 70% malty flavor and 30% hops, which I don't usually prefer. Its still tasty, just not what I'd hope for. still some grapefruit, hops, pine, but way more maltiness flavor....an average amount of bitterness in the finish

M: well carbonated, but a lot is released in the head...it's just slightly thinner than what I'd call full bodied

D: the flavor is good, not much of a boozy flavor, even though you can tell this is a strong brew. I only wish this had more of a sweet, citrusy hoppy flavor and less of a malt kick.

07-04-2009 01:55:35 | More by dukedevil0
MasterSki

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Bah! Accidentally closed my first attempt at reviewing this.
Grabbed a few bottles at the Two Brothers For the Love of Hops festival. Served in my Pisgah pint glass.

A - Two and a half fingers of soapy off-white foam with superb retention and tons of sticky lacing. Transparent firey red/copper/orange body. I generally prefer the unfiltered look, but this is still very attractive.

S - Tons of candied sweet citrus hoppiness with a fair bit of pine as well. While this brew is very hop-forward, there is still a healthy amount of caramel and doughy malts that keep things from getting too unbalanced. There's a tiny bit of alcohol that peeks through, particularly as the brew warms up.

T - The taste is a bit of a letdown in that the doughy sweet malt character jumps to the forefront leaving only notes of lemon zest and piney hops. The hops make themselves quite apparent in the bitter aftertaste, but I still feel sad that the taste is missing the amazing sweet citrus qualities found in the nose.

M - Medium body with tons of resin and stickiness, and even a bit of alcohol heat. Very low carbonation on this one, which I actually prefer.

D - This takes a hit due to the strong bitter aftertaste and the touch of booziness. The 22oz bottle left me good and buzzed and I didn't really feel like I needed much more in the way of hops for the evening.

Good stuff - much prefer the 2009 release to the previous years I've tried. If they could hide the ABV a little better and bring out more sweet citrus flavor this would be amazing.

06-30-2009 03:24:05 | More by MasterSki
Onenote81

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle received as an extra from akokandy. Thanks, Adam!

Pours a clear deep amber with a huge frothy off-white head on top. Great retention leaves some spotty lacing. Smells of toasted caramel, flowers, citrus zest, and pepper.

The mouth on this is very disappointing. Very thin and wet. Carbonation is absent on the tongue. Flavor is very sweet and bordering on cloying. Finishes spicy and bitter, but not overly so. This is a decent Double, but it needs to work on the feel a bit for me to want more.

06-29-2009 21:41:37 | More by Onenote81
TheodorHerzl

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours a glowing amber color with a thick and frothy fingers worth of bone white head on it. The nose came to life upon the pour with big scents of earthy and piney hops on the nose. There is a big toffee scent coming in as well with the citrus punch finally coming to life after the beer warmed for a little bit. The flavor starts with the initial blast of bitter hops with all of the big American "C" hops jokeying for flavor position. I get pine, ripe grapefruit, orange peel, and grassy undertones. This is a good malt backbone to back up the hops as well. The malt is slightly sweet and has a toasted caramel quality to it as well. This is a very easy to drink DIPA, and I had no problems with a bomber of it. I think the 2009 version of this beer has been my favorite thus far. The mouth is clean and fresh with no alcohol burn. I would gladly pony up for this DIPA any time of the year as it was dangerously easy to drink.

06-24-2009 15:52:59 | More by TheodorHerzl
kels

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Grabbed a couple of these on tap at the Comet this past Sunday night. Cool to see something like this that I don't run into often.

Appearance: Pours into the tulip a bright coppery brown shade with a short whitish head that fades and retains at a skim and a thin white ring. Liquid is pretty much clear, with little visible carbonation within.

Smell: Aroma is a toasty and spicy bitter with a distinct citrus profile. Spice comes through the hops in a light peppery presence and a bit of crisp grain provides a background.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Feel is very full, fizzy and creamy. Slight bite from the drying alcohol, a toasty and slightly chewy grain and bright citrus make up the taste, and a darker, syrupy sap drags the brightness down a bit.

Drinkability: Moderate - the stickiness presents some challenge as it produces phlegm in the back of the throat.

06-23-2009 20:44:08 | More by kels
Wheelinb

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this at the Hop Leaf while visiting in Chicago. We hit a lot of bars and had a number of different craft beers today and this was my favorite. Nice deep red color and the aroma was typical for an IPA - pine and citrus and so was the flavor with the exception of the big and bold hop bite. That is right up my alley. I like when a beer grabs your tongue like that and delivers strong flavors without aftertaste. Well done.

06-20-2009 16:29:13 | More by Wheelinb
Vonerichs

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Color is a deep red-orange and body is clear. The off white head is enormous and this wasn't an aggressive pour. It stuck around for a while, but suprisingly only left a little lacing.

The smell is strong and distinct; there is a brief sweet malt nose that resembles caramel and brown sugar and it's immediately overtaken and dominated by the pine hops. There's citrus lurking in the backround. I can tell by the smell this is going to be a bitter beast.

Taste doesn't disappoint. It starts with a nice malt and then an onslaught of hops, mostly a resinous and piney profile with only a slight touch of grapefruit bitterness. It has a very strong hop profile. I tend to agree w/ some prior opinions that this is a larger profile than last year.

It has a sticky and chewy body to it and the carbonation is a little light. There's almost a coating left in my mouth and oh my, that bitterness is mouth-puckering and stays in my mouth for a long while.

There is a slight alcohol burn about it, but I won't let that detract from my consumption. It's a delicious brew and keeps me wanting more. Due to the high(er) abv it's probably reasonable to stop at 2-3.

Overall, I liked this beer last year and like it even more this year. Kudos to Two Bros on this batch.

Serving type: growler

06-17-2009 01:23:10 | More by Vonerichs
samoblue

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Pioneer Supermarket on Manhattan's Upper West Side on 6/11/09, consumed 6/15/09.

Poured into my Dogfish Head oversized snifter. Pours a deep, rich mahogany, as ruby-colored as any red/amber ale I've ever had. Quite beautiful. Head was rather unimpressive, less than a finger that disappeared almost immediately. A minimal amount of lacing remained on the sides of the glass as the beer was consumed.

Aroma - I think I initially poured this a little cold, because I wasn't getting much on the nose. Over time I began to pick up notes of pine and rubbing alcohol--maybe pine-scented floor cleaner?

Taste - An initial dose of strong malt immediately followed by a whallop of hops like a frying pan to the face. Pine, grapefruit, and every other hop cliche is in there. Loooonnnnggg finish, as the hops continue to dance on the back of the tongue long after the last sip. Definitely a "one-two" punch, as opposed to the more balanced, blended taste afforded by some other DIPAs. Not bad, mind you, just different.

Mouthfeel - Big, sticky hop residue hangs around even after the beer was done, the glass was washed, and I was finished making sweet, sweet love to my beautiful fiance. I feel like I need to brush my teeth.

Drinkability - After its truly gorgeous color, this is probably the beer's best characteristic. Surprisingly drinkable given its 9.9% ABV, but you wouldn't need (or probably want) more than one of these in a sitting.

06-15-2009 23:04:11 | More by samoblue
Maction

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

A: I poured this into a chalice, rosy amber transparent with large climbing bubbles. An impressive lacey head that collapses into film, but still leaves lace down the side of the glass.

S: I smell grapefruit and rosewater, with skunky herbal undertones.

T: The flavor is sweet and bitter citrus, butterscotch in the middle, and a bracing ashy but floral finish.

M: It's a medium to heavy weight ale. The carbonation stays in the middle of my mouth. The finish is coating and sticky.

D: The funky and skunky aftertaste detract from what would be a more drinkable DIPA.

Notes: The hops character of this reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree, but without the big, Belgian-like malts to balance it.

06-15-2009 21:34:47 | More by Maction
Florida9

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Absolutely enormous head reaches half way up the glass. Head is sticky with an orange tint to it. Beer is clear. Brown with an orange hue. There is some moderate lacing.

S: Copious amounts of resiny pine and citrus grapefruit.

T: Begins with a sweet caramel malt, but this is quickly overtaken by a grapefruit bitterness that fades slowly. Pine and resin. There is a long finish which develops over the course of about 30 seconds or so.

M: Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Hop resins leave a sticky coating on the inside of the mouth.

D: A very good and distinctly hopped up DIPA. I've had this on tap (at the release party) and also drank last year's. This is a noticeably different beer than last year's as it exhibits more fresh hop characteristics. (I found last year's release to be quite disappointing) Amazingly this beer is even more hoppy on tap, almost to the point of being overwhelming. The bottle seems to mellow things out a bit, adding a touch more "balance," as if there is such a thing with this beer. While an enjoyable beer, drinking more than a couple of these in a sitting would just be a waste.

06-15-2009 01:18:08 | More by Florida9
bryanbrick

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

An extra from d0b. And what an extra it is. Such a rad hook-up and that comes from a picky IPA/DIPA guy. This is knocking my socks off.

No apparent bottle date but I've been told from the source that this was released last Saturday!!!

A great amber color, deeply hued with orange highlights and a 1/2 inch thick stark white head that dissapates quickly but comes half way back with some agitation. Pinpoint lacing all over the glass.

A truely great nose. So full of pine, orange peel, dill, crushed peppermint and touch of toffee like notes from the malt. This is awesome and should be savored.

I love the flavors here, everything is perfectly understated but complete and satisfying. The driving bitterness never becomes overpowering, or medicinal, and the freshness is off the charts. Get this and drink it! Grapefruit, fresh cut grass, cedar treacle, creme brulee. Need I say more. My only knock is that it becomes a bit sappy as you get further into the bottle. Most would proably see that a good thing, but it gets a bit cumbersome for me.

The broadness and length of the flavors are exceptional, with the bitter ultra fresh hops riding the wave all the way to the shore. You taste this long after it is actually gone.

I would have no problem with a full 22 of this, I'm having none right now. I wouldn't want this all the time but if I had access to this it would be one of my go to Hop-Bombs.

For me this is a truly great find and I would put it in the same breath with other hyped West Coast IPA/DIPAs like PtE, Hop Henge, AleSmith IPA and Stone IPA. Thanks Dave this rocks.

06-14-2009 06:37:47 | More by bryanbrick
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to d0b for this bomber, poured into my smuttynose tulip.

The beer is ruby red, copper/burnt orange with a slight glow. A thick two finger white head that fades into sticky, thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is resinous, sticky, sweet pine with some citrus. The bitterness of the hop is evident in the smell, which has me really excited to take a sip of the beer.

The taste is all hops, rolling through the entire profile of hop flavors that I recognize. Pine, citrus, floral, mild grass/floral notes there is a subtle sweet sugary flavor from a malt backbone and the booziness.

The alcohol warms throughout the experience, this is a "chewy" beer, thick and viscous. The hops split the tongue at the beginning of the taste and then they mellow out but rush back to the dry and almost sweet finish. The strangest thing about this beer is the after-taste. The hoppy bitterness dries the tongue and leaves the taste buds with a sweet, citrusy sensation. It is almost the equivalent of drinking large quantities of orange juice or eating a bunch of starburst jellybeans. It's as if your mouth is recreating the sweet flavors and begging you to ingest more of them, very strange, but very cool.

06-12-2009 03:04:58 | More by rpstevens
chicagobeerriot

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle into tulip glass. Pours a true copper with a generous three-finger off-white head. The nose is pleasantly no surprise: grapefruit and unadulterated pine. Mouthfeel is smooth with some tangy carbonation, emphasizing some of the grapefruit notes and helping provide a crisp finish. The taste starts with the citrus tang. Bready malt provides some foundation, but this beer is not about balance; it's about the liquid pine tree that comes just after the malt head-fake. The hops play double duty: at the same time as the fresh, bitter pine coats your tongue, there is a satisfying dry smack to the back of your throat. Quite tasty and drinkable with almost no alcohol presence. There are more complex and well-balanced DIPA's out there, but for pure pine freshness, this is well worth a go.

06-12-2009 02:03:33 | More by chicagobeerriot
bluemoonswoon

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked up a bottle of this at the Hop Juice release on Saturday.

A: Clear, ruby red grapefruit, oaky, a half inch of boney white head that fades into a robust looking cap and leaves behind some sticky lattice work lacing.

S: Pretty intense hop aroma, incredibly fresh, incredibly rich, very thickly piny, earthy, complex citrus aromas that I cannot quite put my finger precisely on, suffice to say it's incredibly resiny, grapefruit and pine

T/MF: Suprisingly smooth, slightly oaky with a boozy heat bringing up the rear. Thick, syrupy goodness, boozy and bitter. Pine resin, earthy sweetness battles and loses out to the heat and fruitiness this beer lays on in waves. I'm liking where the carbonation levels are on this beer, lets you explore every inch of this beer without feeling flat or too bubbly. Thick, viscious and almost chewy. Ahh the alcohol, the heat, the warmth and the fruitiness and pinyness is driving me crazy, it's wonderful wonderful wonderful, each sip is a treasure. Deliciously spicy.

D: A pleasure to drink, literally fun to drink, bold, complex and stands out as another great beer from an underrated brewery.

06-08-2009 03:09:06 | More by bluemoonswoon
emerge077

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Just released yesterday at Two Brothers, For the Love of Hops fest.

Had a taste of it on tap there, but this bottle seems to be more alive with the fresh hop character. Poured into a 22 oz. Spaten glass. Deep toasted caramel orange body, drippy lace clinging all around to the sides. Good resiny hop aroma, smells like a Simcoe hop cone, a touch of sweet malt and light whiff of alcohol.

Smooth, easygoing DIPA, plenty of fruity/resiny/bitter flavors, some peach, grapefruit and pine. Moderate to full body with a viscous, syrupy impression that finishes fairly dry. At almost 10% this really packs a punch, so take it easy!

06-07-2009 20:53:46 | More by emerge077
ders

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Paid $9.50 for a bomber. Looked interesting at the store and had a lot of alcohol so why not! Poured into my chilled goblet. I don't taste 9% alcohol and I am not overwhelmed by hops (as some reviews seem to suggest I would be). The bottle says it's something different, but as far as I can tell it's just a good old IPA.

06-05-2009 05:08:23 | More by ders
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a clear amber or copper color with a decent head and good lacing. It has a nice piney, resiny hop aroma. It has a huge piney hop flavor with some nice malts mixed in. And it has a ton of bitterness. It has a medium body and it is pretty smooth sailin'.

05-26-2009 22:14:08 | More by BeenJammin
JoeBloe

poured nice clear amber/copper with a 1 finger head - laced the whole glass on the way down - hoppy piney resiney aroma - juicy it is - this is a nice tasting dipa - 'fresh' comes to mind - sweetness in the malt - heavy on the cirtus/pine hop flavor - a nice, not too heavy, tasty brew - alcohol seems well hidden in the taste department, but i'd probably pass out if i drank two bombers of this - good stuff

05-25-2009 14:45:18 | More by JoeBloe
RonfromJersey

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

Hazy orange body, topped by three-plus fingers of level white froth. Good lace.

Aroma of orange with a pinch of pine and grapefruit. Enticing but somewhat subdued.

Thick semi-sweet malt foundation. Fruity hops tickle the roof of the mouth. Tasty, but not the big aggressiveness of most DIPAs. Mild nip at the swallow. Light tingly aftertaste.

Solid chewy mouthfeel. Surprisingly easy drinkability.

The name sets the bar a bit too high. A solid enjoyable beer, but not a legendary DIPA.

05-23-2009 04:23:46 | More by RonfromJersey
CHILLINDYLAN

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a gorgeous dark amber with a thick super resiny frosty off white head. Beautiful sticky lacing.

Super blast of hops to the nostrils. Sharp fresh grapefruit, pine, and floral notes. With a sweet bread-like malt hiding beneath.

Tastes like it smells... fresh citrus hops give it a tang. Sweet apricot hop flavors linger on the palette. Piney hops give it a dank bitter earthiness. Hops grow in the taste as you drink it. Very complex hops flavors trump the malts, but malts are bready and sweet and just about right for this DIPA. A little alcohol on the tail end gives it some warmth.

med bodied, smooth drink. med carbonation. Bitter and resiny mouthfeel. Lip smacking good.

This one is packed with jaw tingling hops. Was fresh and delicious! A great all around DIPA. Over the top hops as it is intended. I could drink a DIPA like this every night!

05-19-2009 16:12:15 | More by CHILLINDYLAN