Hop Centric Double India Pale Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Availability: Summer

Formerly known as Hop Juice.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-12-2005)
4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Review reconstructed by very sparse yet glowing notes:

A - deep yet glowing burnished gold. Great billowing head that develops a complex systems of canyons within it as the bubbles begin to collapse upon each other reluctantly.

S - Standout. Truly exceptional. First word that comes to mind is fresh...

Freshly cut pine
Freshly squeezed grapefruit
A freshly picked earthy organic mint/basil
Sweet background - maybe honey

T- Excellent - not as good as the nose but close

M/D - also great...I'd have to check but I bet I haven't given many ten percenters this high of a drinkability rating... actually had no idea it was this high until I went to document this.

Conclusion - I really dig this beer and rate it right up there with my favorites in the style.

brushtachio, Aug 25, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

I have had this IPA a few times before, and this will probably be the last time until its next release. Here is my review:

A: Pours a real deep amber. Head is nice and creamy. Lacing is present.

S/T: I get a lot of hops on the nose with a pretty heafty malt backbone. The taste is very resiny with a very oily and slick feel. There is a lot of pine with a touch of citrus fruit. There are other fruits in there as well like apples and pears. Malt is very toasty and rich. Nice lingering bitterness.

M/D: I would call this a full-bodied IPA. Very slick and oily in the mouth. Bitter finish. Not as easy drinking as a lot of IPAs due to the heavier body and oilyness.

Easily the best Two Brothers beer I have had yet. Nice hoppy character with a rich and full body. Not the best of the best IPAs I have had, but an excellent choice when you want something a little different in the IPA category. Very good and worth checking out.

OldSchoolGamer, Aug 23, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Dark reddish copper with a medium white head, decent retention

S: Strong, but lighter hop scent, with sweet medium malt. Combination gives sort of a raw brown sugar smell. Piney and spicy characteristics become more apparent as beer warms.

T: Heavy pine and burnt caramel . Plenty of bitterness and a spicy finish. Definitely more roasted flavors than a typical example of this style, which takes away from the finer hop qualities. A little harsh early on but flavors blend better as the beer approaches room temperature.

M: Creamy mouthfeel with a very noticeable alcohol burn.

Overall, a good beer, and I had to raise some of the ratings as it warmed. Still, there are much better IIPA's out there.

GeezLynn, Aug 22, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Hazy burnt orange hue with a one finger khaki head that slowly settles to a broken thin cap, leaving behind a solid wall of lacing.

Sharp citrus along with some spicy bitterness. A little bit of pineapple is in the background. Toasty malts in the background.

The hops are very similar to mint tea, a little bit of citrus, and maybe a little honey. The malts add a very crisp and clean toasted biscuit flavor. Full bodied.

I've never had a beer that tasted like mint tea before. It's rather enjoyable, a nice change from the citrus bomb. Recommended.

BeerSox, Aug 17, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

pours amber orange with a big 2+ finger head that coated the glass with lacing

smells like a west coast ipa - lots of pine & grapefruit but mostly pine (which i like)

taste is even better then the smell - big pine flavor then a great malt backbone and finishes with some bitter grapefruit citrus

mouthfeel is a medium body beer that is somewhat sick and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation

drinkability is very scary - with the taste this beer brings i wish they made this in 6packs

overall this beer ranks up with the best DIPA's i have had - Hopslam - Double Crooked - Pure Hoppiness

jsh420, Aug 16, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Paid $7.49 for a bomber from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a snifter to review.

A nice, dense, white head of about an inch. Nice glowing DIPA orange color. Little retention. Great lacing.

On the well balanced side for certain. Not surprising as this is a Midwestern DIPA. Quite hoppy nonetheless with with a combination of resinous floral and citrus.

Taste is also well balanced and full of flavor. Caramel malts back up this hoppy ale. Citrus and floral hops dominate. Pretty well hidden high ABV.

Nice mouthfeel here. Very thick with damn near a full body. Medium to long finish. Mild creaminess. Proper drinkability.

A good offering. The best I've had from the brewery so far. Still, it falls into the average category for it's style in my opinion.

ibbjamin, Aug 08, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

A good solid DIPA. Pours a clear orange/amber color. White head is nothing special. Head retention less than average, some light lacing.

Smell is a good robust IPA smell. I got fresh, piney hops as the main aroma.

Tastes good as well. Fresh piney hops, a little rye flavor some sweet malts for balance somewhere in the middle.

Mouthfeel is oily, a bit rough and rich. Good for someone that doesn't like to have the edge go off their IPA.

Drinkability is good considering the octane. My first beer from this brewer, very nice!!

JayQue, Aug 06, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a 1.5 finger head that receeds quickly to a ring. Very little lacing throughout. The smell is sweet with a sharp citrusy hop tone. Taste is citrus hops with some Grapefruity notes and a grainy finish. Mouthfeel is what I've been looking for lately. Creamy and longlasting with just the right amount of carbonation and bitterness. At almost 10% it's dangerous how drinkable this one is but I would session it with caution because of it deliciousity.

atremains, Aug 05, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received a bottle via trade from Beersis81.

A: A glowing reddish orange, nice white head with good lacing.

S: Grapefruit citrus hoppiness dominated. I would have like a bit more of the sweetness to come through. Also not the most powerfully smelling DIPA I have had.

T: Nicely balanced with the bitter grapefruit coming up front and the malt sweetness smoothing out in the end.

M: The mouthfeel is slightly harsh and acidic, but there is some creaminess, although a little more would have been nice.

D: Nice and easy to drink as I shared it with a friend who finished his in about 5 minutes.

mikey711, Aug 03, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

on tap at the Local Option in Chicago. pours a deep maber color with one and a half fingers of tight light brown head that has great rentetion and leaves pillowy lacings.

aroma is a thick and malty hop mixture of piney and spicy hops, along with a lightly bready base. very rich in the nose.

taste is malty up front with a hoppy finish of spiced and piney notes that takes over the palate. any malt character of lost in the finish. very fresh and full of hop qualities.

mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy with a fresh hop bouquet and a dry finish of piney hops. very fresh and full of hop character without getting overly bitter.

drinkability is good. very hoppy and not too bitter with a fresh and pleasant aura. one round might be enough, but for a double IPA this is a great example. cheers!

botham, Aug 02, 2009

Pours a bit viscous and dark amber in color with a bit of a reddish hue when held to the light. The head is slow to build but then takes shape and a good inch of foam is produced by a beer that looks pretty low in carbonation.

The smell is at first sweet caramel and lots and lots of malt along with a lot of tropical fruit like mango and pineapple. The blast of hop aroma isn't quite at the level I was expecting but at the same time you need quite a bit of malt to get a beer to this alcohol percentage.

First sip and it certainly meets the piney and resiny expectations. Its coating my teeth with a sticky goodness. Swishing this around in my mouth creatives an astringent sort of reaction that tickles my tongue and clears my sinuses. Ahh, the glory of hops and alcohol. Hop Juice has a boatload of malt and therefore this beer has quite a bit of sweet caramel and honey flavor along with that mango and pineapple fruit flavor. Very nice. Very, very nice.

I am quite enjoying this beer, its a nice sipper on a summer evening. Plenty of hoppiness to be refreshing and a nice high ABV to serve as a night cap!

indiapaleale, Aug 02, 2009

This beer pours a nice deep, clear copper coloring with a two finger of tight bubbly head. Head receded was decent considering the ABV and left ample rings of lacing on the glass. Nose is of sweet malts at first before the hops take over - grapefruit and piney hops dominate with a hint of grassiness. Taste is begins with some caramel malt and then comes the piney hops, finishing with a nice bitter grapefruit hops. The taste between malt and hop is very separate and distinct, not really blended from one taste to the next. That being said, I really quite enjoyed the flavoring and the sort of smack you get from one flavor to the next. Medium body, medium carbonation, thick and sticky mouthfeel to it. I enjoyed this beer thoroughly.

Jayli, Jul 31, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Bomber poured in SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a near perfect double ipa. Bright golden sunshine with some cloudiness, a crisp white head with some stickiness.

S: Doesn't really do it for me... Quite a bit toned down for a dipa. Not a huge hope burst some sweet malt notes are detected.

T: Meh... Not the truly artistic blend of floral, citrus and piney hops I'm used to from the West Coast big guys. Had a few different fresh samplings of this to compare, and all the same for me. Bitter hops tend to dominate, but it isn't event that crazy for a dipa. In short, not the hop bomb I had hoped...

M: Thinnish, not sticky or really stand out in any way. Little low on the carbonation front.

D: Went down easy, but would move on pretty quickly.

This one is just middle of the road for me...

bwd110, Jul 30, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

So after just having this beer in a bottle i tried it on draft and found it to be much better. The hops and alcohol are not as pronounced and there's less stickiness to it. Very good color, dark golden and also a good taste and aroma. I was very glad to see this beer available at my local pub.

david18, Jul 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

"Don't come crying to us if it's too much for you; this one is for hopheads only. "

-from the bottle

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. Beautiful glowing tangerine orange color with a thick and rich creamy head. No bottled on or freshness date noticable.

Smell is dominated by pineapple and minneola tangelo. Also some sweet maltiness too.

Flavor on this one is incredibly intense. A super sweetness caresses the tongue off the bat followed by the thick resiny oily northwest hops. This one is a hop monster. Lip smacking bitterness from the 100.1 IBU's finishes this one off.
Pineapple and orangey citrus round this one off nicely. The nearly 10% abv. Is hidden well.

Mouthfeel is thick and heavy. But oh so delicious. This here is a Big beer.

Drinkability is good. This is an extremely tasty and enjoyable DIPA. My first beer from Two Brothers Brewing and I would love to try something else to see if it's anywhere close to as tasty as this one.

BigMike, Jul 29, 2009

I went in to this beer with really no expectations at all, looked new on the shelf and I had heard about it before but didnt really know what to expect. Poured a very clear, beautiful orange/amber color that I have never seen in a beer, very good carbonation. Had about a 2 finger head that disappeared after a few minutes into a nice white sheet over the top of the beer. Lacing was good but did not coat the glass completely, nice middle ground. As I opened the cap I could already smell the delicious hoppy aroma, amazing. Citrus, pine and some sweetness in the nose. The taste, wow... Delicious blend of sweetness, fruit, citrus, pine and all the hops you would want. Reminded me of Nugget Nectar and Stone 13th but better. Mouthfeel was smooth, medium with perfect carbonation, nice hoppy coat on the tongue, creamy, what to expect from a DIPA. I drank my first pint of this so fast, very drinkable, I would never guess 9.9 ABV. I could drink this one all night long, absolutely amazing. This is definately my new standard for a DIPA/ hop blaster.

cbutova, Jul 21, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Bought on a whim at Chris Gasbarros' in Seekonk. 22oz bomber.

A- Pours goldenrod yellow settling into a nice mild amber color with an amazing head. Thick, creamy, active... this head has it all. 5 of 5. Sediment is in pour, stuck to sides. Hops? perhaps. Amazing lacing.

S- Hops...duh. Very sweet and floral hops. Very pleasant, no bitterness or pungent aromas, simply tasty hops.

T- Sweet sugars dominate, along with a piney hops flavor. Peppery on the tongue. The peppery hops and sweet hops play off eachother pretty well.

M- Signifigant malt backbone strives but doesn't quite reach a balance.

D- Moderalte, considering the ABV. Hard to finish a bomber, despite my enjoyment of it.

ShogoKawada, Jul 21, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Two Brother's continues to intrigue me. I've had HopHenge and now Hop Juice; two amazing double ipa's that have character a decent balance and seem to quence the thirst for a good dipa.

This one was poured into a La Chouffe tulip and has a roasted caramel hue with lightly tan lacing.

The smell is so close to hopslam it's crazy. The florals and nectar aromas are all over the place. I can almost smell the honey.

The taste is very powerful and fruity. There's a huge hop front a decent malt backbone but this recedes to give way to the intense hop oils. Delcious!

The mouthfeel is buttery and slick with plenty of hop oil, alcohol viscosity, and the perfect amount of carbonation.

I would call this highly drinkable but also a sipper. I won't have any problem finishing off this bomber but I doubt I'd want two in a night (but I might).

Bottom line...if you like hopslam you'll like this too! I don't know why this great beer has such a low rating. It's delcious!

PerzentRizen, Jul 18, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. No date.

A - Rich, clear, brilliant amber with a creamy two finger tan head with great retention, reducing after a while to a small layer while leaving thick lacing.

S - Very citrus and pine hop-heavy with light floral aromas and a solid backbone of malts. Light pineapple and mango aromas dance about as well.

T - Holy shit is that a hop punch to the face. STRONG hops even with a robust malt backbone. Light caramel malts linger behind unwavering fruity and floral hops. Citrus and light pine combine with the malts for an excellent beer!

M - Creamy and smooth, it's one fuller-bodied DIPA with a hoppy and bitter blast at the end. Fully carbonated but really smooth on the way down. Moderate-low alcohol warming.

D - Holy crap is this a fantastically crafted beer. I wish I knew the age on it. The alcohol is mellow but hits you soon enough and it goes down very well. Super strong.

BeerFMAndy, Jul 18, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -10.4%

A- Clear amberish orange in color, large two finger foamy head.

S- Bland hops and a balance of toasty malt. Not much going on here.

T- Hops and malts are well balanced here however the overall taste is bland. The hops taste different than most, and I wonder if its the 'Northwest Hops' as the bottle says that is throwing me off. The hops aren't the typcial skunky bitter hops I'm used to, and I like that strong piney flavor that this bottle is lacking.

M- Sticky on the palate. Thin bodied, light carbonation. No real aftertaste left on palate.

D- This is a smooth drinker as it isn't bitter, however its boring and isn't impressive.

Yesac, Jul 17, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours out a nice beautiful copper color, very clear, with a massive, pillowy head, dense and sticky, kind of off-white, that leaves nicel lacing. This one looks absolutely beautiful. The smell has a nice piney and grapefruity hop presence. Kind of resinous and sticky, some light herbal and spicy notes, maybe some tart cherries. It has enough of the hop components. Almost no malt presence, which isn't always a bad thing in a DIPA, but I can definitely smell the alcohol. I'm not so sure I like the smell of the alcohol in this beer. The taste kicks in first with a nice light maltiness, kind of powdery, not too sweet, this one definitely has a good dryness to it. Then a little kick of bitterness comes, but it's not too bad. The taste comes off a little soapy, but there's a nice crisp hop presence, a bit grassy and piney at first, then a little tart, finishes with a bit of resins and a tiny kick of bitterness comes up with the dryness. The alcohol isn't as dominant as I expected, but there is definitely a peach kind of warmth to it. That's the only complaint I really have - and I would maybe ask for a bit more dry hops. But overall, a good DIPA. It does come off a tiny bit syrupy - a little more full than I wanted. I think it kind of gets in the way of what I want to experience. The carbonation is very light, it must've all come up in the head, which sort of lends itself to fullness, and there's really only a tiny tickle of carbonation to speak of. And I found it to be quite enjoyable, but it caught up with me kind of quickly. I would recommend it as a nice example of a DIPA. I kind of wanted a little more from something named 'Hop Juice' though.

taylorhamrick, Jul 15, 2009

Poured from 22oz bottle

A- Pours a very nice looking darker copper amber color. Good two finger head that took a while to die down. Good sticky heavy lacing left on the sides of the glass. Very nice looking beer.

S- Nice big citrus hop (grapefruity) smell that makes my mouth water. Pair this with a caramel sweet malt balance that also hides a tint of piney hop smell. The only thing I don't like but doesn't bother me really is slight traces of alcohol that come and go.

T- Big citrus hop front upfront (grapefruit) paired up with the sweet caramel malts makes this a well balanced beer that I could sink my teeth into more and more. Bitter piney hops take up the ending to this beer. I like it a lot.

M- This is a medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation levels to this make the beer run across your palate in a hop stomp. Leaves a good oily hop resin on the teeth and tounge making you taste it long after the beer is gone.

D- This is a very drinkable DIPA that I could enjoy more if I had the money to buy one everyday. Sadly this is a treat for every once in a while.

alleykatking, Jul 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

22 oz. bomber into a snifter

Pours up a dark shade of red-orange with a one inch off-white head. Pretty good retention for being in the snifter, some decent lacing is left behind as a result.

Aroma is of juicy citrus hops, lots of orange and grapefruit. A touch of pine character in there too. It's balanced by a nice sweet caramel maltiness.

Taste is pretty much a nice balance between malt and hops. Again lots of citrusy orange and grapefruit flavors with some pine and grassiness and a very slight tropical fruit flavor. Finishes with the bitterness overtaking the malt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, good level of carbonation for the style. Good drinkability.

Pretty nice DIPA, I like 'em with some nice balancing sweetness and this one has elements of that, but not quite as much as I prefer. Pretty good one though.

roadhouse, Jul 11, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep, syrupy looking golden-red color. Moderate head and a shit-ton of visible carbonation. Thick soapy lacing.

Smells of caramel and sweet, sugary hop candy. There are also some kind of herbal pine notes and slight hits of alcohol. No vicious bite to the smell like I expected. The aroma is not that strong.

The taste is very complex and balanced. A sweet distant caramel kind of malt flavor is put in check by a healthy kick of piney hop goodness. Something herbal comes to mind just before the hops fade into a semi-sweet chocolate, moderately bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is tits! Perfect amount of carbonation for me. Medium-light bodied and not overly coating in the mouth. Exceptional.

Drinkability is about as good as expected for a (basically) 10% brew. This bomber will finish off my night.

BDLbrewster, Jul 09, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a dark, clear amber/brown with a thin tan head. Smell is oddly more malt based than hops, though there is a bit of piney hops in there. Taste on the other hand, is primarily hop dominated. Very piney, resinous, earthy hops, with a good deal of citrus in the finish as well. The bitterness DOES cling to your tongue like a tick though. There is a nice amount of caramel malt in there, but not enough to balance (that is ok though, the name is Hop Juice after all) Solid bitterness finishes the beer. Mouthfeel is rich, thick, and low carbonation levels. Drinkability is good; considering the ABV, I taste no alcohol.

The name makes the beer sound like it will be nothing but bitterness, citrus, pine, and earth, but it had a decent malt backbone that makes it almost balanced. ALMOST. Good pick though.

tronester, Jul 09, 2009