Northwind Imperial Stout - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Northwind Imperial StoutNorthwind Imperial Stout

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2002)

1.9/5  rDev -50%

After spending several minutes perusing the aisles and bypassing many of the staple imperial stouts at my neighborhood liquor store, I decided to give this new arrival a chance. It was my first time trying any beer from Two Brothers.

It looks and pours like an imperial stout and has the alcohol content that one would expect. Unfortunately that is were the similarities to the characteristics one would expect in a quality imperial stout end. There's no need to discuss hints of coffee or chocolate or any subtle blending of flavors associated with stouts. There is one pervasive and overwhelming taste of sour milk that masks any other taste that might be present.

At first, I assumed the 6 pack of bottles I had purchased had spoiled in some way. However in reading other reviews I see that my experience is not unusual. The sour taste has been discussed by other reviewers. One reviewer described it as an overwhelming metallic taste. Whatever it is - it's nasty.

I've always described the experience of drinking beer as being like oral sex - even when its bad, its good. But this beer defies such a contention. Its just bad. Not bad in an interesting or novel way, but bad like ... "Man, is it safe for me to even be drinking this?"

As I said, this was my first experience with Two Brothers. Maybe their other offerings are better, but I'll never know. This will be the only money these 2 brothers will ever see from me.

Avoid at all cost.

1.98/5  rDev -47.9%

22 ounce bomber.

Appearance: deep black, minimal beige head, moderate lacing.

Aroma and taste: super fruity esters, distinct alcohol, and intense, almost overpowering metallic taste. Sour notes, backgrounded roast, all overwhelmed by the metallic taste.

Thick mouthfeel, but not particularly distinct in other ways.

This was so intensely metallic and sour that we drainpoured it. I feel bad saying so, but this is just not a good offering.

2.08/5  rDev -45.3%

This single was included in a huge birthday haul sent by JamnesCameron.

A- Poured into my new DFH signature glass. (I sure hope acronyms are allowed in reviews). Head is very hard to coax out but this is a high performance glass. Its still makes the beer lace a little bit.

S- My first whiff left me reeling. Pure molasses. Very intensely unusual. Anise is also very strong. This blend of old man candy is off putting. There is also plenty of cough syrup.

T- Acidic coffee with a cough syrup and tart cherry strangeness. There is a distinct dip spit flavor. Why is there a sourness? Beats me, but it seems to check out in many other reviews, including BuckeyeNation's from 05 so I hardly think this is another one to add to 2010: the year of infection.

M- Too much carbonation. It hurts the teeth and numbs the tongue.

I cant say this beer is good, but there is worse. I mean the fact that its a B rated RIS says it all.

2.17/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured black with good carbonation and a brown head. Nose is roasted malt, cocoa, coffee and a lingering sour funk...uh oh. Taste is immediate funkyness, sourness, roasted malt, cocoa, coffee but that damn sourness was terrible. Mouthfeel is warming, sour like it was either infected or had a buttload of rotten green apples dumped into the mash. Drinkability, no way. Avoid and this was among the worst RIS I have ever had and I have had my share.

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Picked up a single recently. I'd have picked up more, the price is definitely right for an RIS, but I've had a pair of Two Brothers beers & not enjoyed either one. Hold my breath & dive.

It's black. Shocking. Smell isn't great, more like a milk stout. Taste isn't great either. It's very thin even for a regular stout, & there's not much taste to it at all. A bit of malt, maybe a hop sprig, eye of newt, balls of bull.

This isn't very good. Two Brothers has disappointed me three time in a row. I hate to give up on a brewery, but I'm close.

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours dark opaque black with a full finger dark tan head that fades fairly quickly.

The smell of roasted malt is overwhelming in that the "roasted" smell is borderline burnt. It's sharp and biting to me.

The intense roasted malt flavor adds to a somewhat heavier mouthfeel and gives it a chewy sensation. Hops are present and complemented with a balanced carbonation.

This is a very difficult one to swallow for me. The most difficult characteristic is the nose; i can hardly stand to get my face near enough to take a mouthful. There is a significant harsh acidic after taste that puts it to bed for me.

2.53/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark brown, but still allows light to penetrate the beer. Head dafers quickly to nothing.

Smell: None too strong smelling, light cocoa and old coffee, kind of sour.

Taste: Fairly weak and unimpressive for an Imp. Stout. Coffee is obvious, but none too dominant, alcohol does not help to enhance it much, either. Bitterness is none to strong.

Mouthfeel: Watery and lightly carbonated, unimpressive.

Drinkability: Skip it, this may be one of the weakest and the lowest ABV Imperial Stouts I have run across.

2.58/5  rDev -32.1%

Basically pitch black, miniscule amounts of light comes through in the crevases of the glass. Half inch of tan head floats along on top. Isn't sticky though so teh class is left clean as it is drank down.

Really has a simple malt flavor that is amazingly nondescript. Not really much else to it, no toasted notes.

This has a bit more flavor though but honestly no where close to what an RIS should be. Slight toasted flavor gives way to a touch of coffee. Still, not much to this one. I hate to give a below average rating...it isn't bad necessarily, but nothing draws me to this.

Medium mouthfeel which isn't that bad. A little lingering flavor. This one isn't that hard to drink, nothing to be offended by. But no flavor in this really. Nothing I want to revisit.

2.6/5  rDev -31.6%

A - Cloudy black. Lots of brown head with big bubbles.

S - Chocolate is first. Definitely roasty. Surprised to not really get any hops here. Some wood and smoke.

T - Follows the nose quite closely. Less chocolate and more burnt toast. Roasty qualities fail to wow. Actually find it lacking in flavor which is interesting considering the 9% abv. Not the best.

M - Thinner body than I'd have liked. Lacking in carbonation and slick.

O - Not impressed by this one. Following it with a hop juice black... hopefully that will treat me right!

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

Black pour with a dark tan head. Two fingers thick head quickly fades into a thin film. Appears thin and watery for the style.

Smells of light roasted malt with a hint of semi-sweet chocolate. It's tough to really get deep into the aroma. You really have to dig your nose into the glass to pick up whatever roastiness and bitterness there is.

Taste is much like the smell. Lightly roasted malts and semi-sweet bakers chocolate. The flavors are subdued and uninspiring, especially for a RIS. There's just not enough boldness in here.

Thin and borderline watery mouthfeel. Much too thin for the style. Low carbonation and absolutely no viscosity. I suppose that one positive it that it's easy to drink for a 9.1 abv.

Meh, an average at best RIS. It lacks oomph and boldness. The roasty and chocolaty flavors needed to be ratcheted up many notches. The mouthfeel was also a major letdown. Too thin and watery for the style. Overall, not wholly terrible, but not an RIS worth seeking out.

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

I originally sampled this beer on 19 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes:
Appearance: It has the usual Imperial Stout characteristics: black with a tan head,
Aroma: It's chocolately on the nose,
Mouthfeel: Unfortunately it has a very light mouthfeel & is a bit thin by this style's standards. Somewhat roasty, but not what I'd expect fm an imperial

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

Sampled this at an epic tasting hosted by EinWeizenbitte. Thanks a ton Todd!

Appearance: Brown, foamy head dissipates fairly quickly to a creamy crown. Decent retention after that. Body is dark brown with amber shades around the edges. A bit too much visibility? Head leaves notch-like rings of lacing along the walls of the glass.

Smell: Roasted malt, fruity esters, and a strong dosage of sour fruitiness resembling citrus and berries. Not particularly bad, but not what I would normally look for nor want in this style.

Taste: Roasted malt and dark chocolate make a brief initial appearance, then step aside as an avalanche of raspberry and lemon rolls through onto the palate. Tons of sourness in the finish. This just seems wrong.

Mouthfeel: Sugary, syrupy, and lambic-like. Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and sour.

Drinkability: As a big RIS fan, I was not a fan of this big RIS. Fruit accents are nice, but this went over the top. Finish didn't resemble an imperial stout in the least bit. This wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't for me.

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

Got this beer from mday, thank you.

Poured into a pint glass at 51 degrees.

Appearance: A very dark dark brown color. There is a quarter inch tan head that is creamy. The clarity of the beer is opaque.

Nose: A roasted malt complex with coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and molasses. There is a hint of hops hard to discern what is dominate in my nose.

Taste: A roasted malt complex with coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. There is a slight burnt complex,hops is not really valid in this beer.

Overall: The mouth feel is creamy and flat. The body of the beer is medium full and the finish is flimsy. This is a rather poor RIS, There is no hops a little flavor and not much else. Rather disappointed, I was hoping for more.

Batch 3178

Poured into my over-sized Duvel tulip a dark, opaque rootbeer color with a medium to dark tan head. Minimal, spotty lacing...

This nose is light on this one. Hints of sweet malts, vanilla and an unusual banana-like essence. Not too impressed by the nose...

Ok, the strange banana smell that had me worried faded as I drank. This is a medium to full bodied beer with medium to full flavor. Medium to high carbonation on the mouthfeel, as well. Flavors include heavily roasted coffee, a touch of dark chocolate and sweet malts all bundled up in a sweet, vanilla bean package. Mouthfeel is wet (almost watery) in the beginning, then the hops kick in just a bit go lend to a semi-dry finish. Aftertaste carries the same slightly bitter hops...

Overall, this is a decent example of a Russian Imperial Stout, but not big enough for me. It's reminiscent of an English version RIS and I prefer the extreme American RIS'es...

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

I poured this in two pours from a 22 oz bomber. Temperature was from my basement at about 55 to 60 deg.

Dark brown/black color formed light brown head on first pour to about 1/2" second pour I was carefull and got 1" head. Head went down fact to thin film. Head looked creamy but I tasted light.

Chocolate aroma with a slight metallic edge.

Taste was chocolate with slight coffee, but had that metallic taste that I objected to. There was also a light fizzy taste at first. Later the fizziness was gone slight sour come out and a taste of dried fig and toffee.

Mouth feel started creamy and declined to light.

OK drink but somewhat disappointing. Kind of a stout light.
We could debate whether this is an a imperial or a chocolate, but really who cares if it is good. This just didn't make the grade. It is almost as if it was brewed for complexity and ended up with slight off flavor and not enough body. At $5.95 a bottle not worth it

Would have given this a 2.6 or 2.7 in some catagories but that is not allowed.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark rich brown color with a dark mocha head that dissipates to little or no lacing.

Smell: This beer smells of toasted caramel, dark robust coffee and cream. There is a slight woody character as well like fresh cut oak or a sawed fire wood. There is a slight bready sweetness in the background as well as a dark roasted grain.

Taste: Roasted sweetness carries the foremost flavor in this beer. There is some lite caramel and malt sweetness, but it does not hold a candle light to the almost overpowering roast character. There is a slight acid bitterness in the end as well as minor alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: This beer is surprisingly thin for an imperial stout. There is a slight slickness and creamy component, but not as thick as you would expect for the style.

Drinkability: This beer is a sipper but not in the traditional sense of an imperial stout. It's more of a sipper because of the strong roast character and slight alcohol hit towards the swallow. I would not drink more than two of these in any sitting.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This beer did not live up to my expectations. It had a nice aroma, but the flavor is amazingly one dimensional. The roast character dominates and leaves little else to be detected. Moreover, there is a complete lack of the thick chewy coating body that I expect from a high gravity sippable beer. Instead, this beer is quite thin and even dry after the swallow. I think this is very uncharacteristic of the style and not what I really want to sip on a cold winter night. For the price, it's not bad yet I would suggest spending a couple more dollars and picking up one of the better RIS's out there.

Northwind Imperial Stout from Two Brothers Brewing Company