Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 1,297 | Reviews: 498
3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Unexceptional. Clear penny copper with almost no head and no lacing at all.

S: Chocolate, toasted malts. Heavy, but not overly complex.

T: Cereal grains, chocolate, malts...heavier than it looks.

M: Fairly flat overall, not as fresh as I think it ought to be.

Not a great beer by a company that is otherwise pretty exceptional.

Smooth, refreshing, did nothing really to stand out though

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L: Dark amber color, a bit of beige lacing around the glass rim.
S: A hint of Milk chocolate, mainly damp hay (by the way, I never thought I'd actually write a description like this...)
T: Slight bitterness at the back of the throat. Dark roasted malt is the only flavor I can identify, but there's something else there too.
F: Smooth, a little bit creamy.
O: Darker and heavier than I expected for a farmhouse ale, but not bad.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just picked up a six pack not twenty minutes ago. It's not at all what I expected in a biere de garde but, surprise, it's better than I expected--even if I wanted more flavor from the yeast and French hops. I'd write in detail, but company just dropped by! And I'm gonna push a beer on them ...

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

just don't like it ok

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

This bottle was past it's BEST BY date and kind of on the flat side. I will try again.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Color is interesting with very little head. The smell has a funk or a spice I do not care for, but it was not prevalent in the beer, and the taste really grew on me. Very good beer.

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Good drinkable beer. No complaints with this beer.

Good gold with slight amber color. Very light carbonated head quickly fizzles to a solid rim around the glass.

Pretty good malt smell, but I'm not picking up much else.

Slightly sweet caramel, but with a strong malty flavor throughout.

Good light feeling, but still with a full mouth feel with a smooth dry finish.

3.43/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Deep gold, some reddish tint

Faint hops and malt.

Taste is a bit sweet, some bitter English type hops. A bit of yeasty.

Medium body, medium carb. A bit creamy.

Not sure what this style is supposed to be like but this beer is ok.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is a finger high and eggshell in shade. Its texture is creamy, but it's quick to fade. Streaks of lacing are left behind. (3.75)

Smell: I pick up a lot of caramel-laden malt. It's not quite as forward in French-style yeast as I'd like - I'm only getting a slight touch of bread and black pepper. Basically, this is around 3/10 on the rustic scale. Plus, it seems to have an excess of crystal malt for my personal tastes. (3)

Taste: The opening flavors are loaded with plenty of caramel, toast, and cream flavors. This beer in general does a good job of extracting the good qualities of crystal malt, while putting the weaker one on the back burner. It has a subtly spicy finish: I can pick it up, but it never overpowers. The way it tricks my palate between thinking it's from the hops or from the yeast on each different sip is just so damn deft; I'm not even bothered by its lack of rustic-ness. Its balance is bang-on, too. The more I drink it, the more I like it - the hallmark of a great beer. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and creamy, the finish is just dry enough for this to not overwhelm my palate. Carbonation remains low. It lacks the palate-coating coarseness most beers with crystal malt seem to have, too, allowing the softness of the texture to shine through very well. (4)

Overall: Holy crap - the flavor profile is as impressive as the aroma is average. Just when I think it's just an amber ale with a French twist, it unfurls a few additional layers to my palate. It really is a beautiful beer, one that I'll definitely have to seek out in the future. (4.25)

3.9/5: The nose is like a cheese-eating surrender monkey; the flavor is like Charles De Gaulle

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber to gold in color with nice foam and some lacing. Mild aroma. Enjoyable malty taste. Very mild, but suprisingly complex. Lingers in the mouth and goes down easy. Overall a very enjoyable brew.

2.99/5  rDev -21.5%

It's ok. Nothing special normal beer

4.74/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A light amber beer with incredible amounts of flavors - all well balanced. I was surprised at the myriad of flavors, from spices to fruits to caramel, but it all works so well. And, somehow, the beer goes down easy and is very light. It is a sweet beer, but nothing over the top. All in all, this is a great beer for sitting around a porch, chatting, and just having a high quality crafted beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 355 ml bottle (best by January 7, 2015) into a wine glass.

A-The beer is light amber with a bronze hue. A thin off-white head drops pretty quickly to a cap then a collar. The foam leaves some lacing.

S-The aroma is on the sweet side with suggestions of spice, malted barley, carmel, some tree fruit like apple and pear, as well as some toast and biscuit malt. It is pleasant and decently complex.

T-The taste is similar to the smell. It packs a mild sweetness with fruit and caramel flavors. I get some pear, apple, baking spice, white grape, caramel, toasted bread, and just a little floral bitterness.

M-The heft is medium to above average and the carbonation is on the mild side.

O-This is pretty solid beer. I don't know that I will go out of my way to find it again, but for general drinking purposes, this fits the bill very nicely. It offers good complexity and I can see it pairing well with food.

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a chilled pint glass Nice copper color, not much head. This farmhouse ale has a very satisfying taste. I like it.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Brown in color with good clarity. A fingernail of beige foam covers the majority of the top. Aroma is all amber malt. The flavor is primarily amber malt with notes of caramel. The mouth is lightly salty and dry.

What a nice ale. Dark amber color, smooth clean flavor on the palate. Mild caramel flavor and nice lace on the edge of the glass.

6 pack for a gift! Happy accident for me!

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked this up at Top Hops a few weeks back, not having a beer from Two Brothers in quite some time. I love this style, given how highly esteemed the Scythe and Sickle is in my book. While not as complex or as rich as that, this was a great example of the style with loads of flavor, a pleasing appearance, and an easy drinkability. The lack of spice and overpowering booze only made this easier to quaff while admiring how much this seemed like something imported and not from middle America!

Great pour to this, as it had a deep mahogany hue infused with plum, a moderately fluffy head, and thing rings of lacing that indicated the level of my beer after each sip. This wasn't completely clear either as it had a slight haziness to it and a few larger bits of sediment floating around, even though there wasn't anything left in the glass once I poured this out. Lots of apple, yeast, and dough in the nose followed by some earthy spice, lemon zest, and grass in the taste. Quite light for being so complex, this tasted very French from start to finish without being overly spicy and the carbonation meshed well with the range of flavors.

The alcohol was perfect here and that's not something that I say very often, but it complemented everything else so wonderfully. While not a Pumpkin beer, this had the feel one one in certain aspects without being overly spicy or heavy tot he taste. If there was a bit of champagne yeast in this, it wouldn't surprise me as this had a light feel to it from start to finish. This was wonderful stuff that put a smile on my face and proved to me that more U.S. brewers should give this style a go and while not as potent or full as something imported here, Two Brothers had a winner here that's sure to offend no one. Give it a go before the fall weather gives way to old man winter!

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Sammy's Gourmet Burgers & Beers, served in a shaker pint (not chilled, only due to my asking for it that way).

A: Arrived in the glass a slightly cloudy deep amber, with a creamy, just off-white head. Said head left sheetlike lacing down the sides of the glass as I drank. Bubbles streamed continuously from the bottom of the beer.

S: Unfortunately, due to the location, I couldn't get much of the nose. What I was able to smell involved toast drizzled with honey as one sits amidst a freshly mown lawn.

T: Much like what I detected from the nose, actually. This reminded me of mowing grass around a beehive overflowing with honey, near a bed of fragrant flowers and an open window out of which wafts fresh baking bread. What hop presence is there does not cut into the sweetness overmuch, allowing it to star. As the beer warms, some subtle spiciness emerges, hints of coriander and cardamom.

M: Light in body and rather well carbonated, this drinks lively.

O: A rather enjoyable biere de garde, which manages to provide a decent array of hop flavors without steamrollering the malt.

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BBD 1/28/15

Pours an effervescent copper/orange with a finger of beige head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Green apples, pears & grassyness

T: Follows the nose, white grape as well up front. Apple juice notes, apricot, caramel & woody hops as this warms, along with a little dryness. Finishes with leafy hops & jammy notes & a little dryness

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, skews fruity & sweet

A drinkable take on the style, perhaps a bit too sweet, but worth a go

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a hazy, copper color. 3/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, alcohol, pale malt, sugar, hint of caramel malt, euro yeast, and a hint of biscuit. Fits the style of a Biere De Garde. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, alcohol, pale malt, euro yeast, hint of caramel malt, and hint of hop. Overall, decent appearance, good aroma, good feel, and decent body.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Living in Connecticut, my access to Two Brothers Brewery isn't as ubiquitous as I'd like it to be, but when I heard a buddy from Illinois was coming up to visit his old neighborhood, I implored him to snag some of that delightful Chicago craft beer. My pal delivered, with a make your own six pack of beers from the likes of Metropolitan Brewing Company, Two Brothers Brewery, and Revolution Brewery. Kicking the six pack off with Two Brothers Brewery's Domaine DuPage. Let's light this one on fire.

Appearance - Adore this color; shockingly red, with maroon and brownish hues, and a gorgeous lacing around my nonic glass. She's a looker.

Smell - Smell is also great, with a sly mildness and inclusion of aromatic and caramel hops that provide a noseful. This beer has aesthetic down to a tee.

Taste - Starts off with a darker caramel flavor and then quickly changes gears and descends into a creamier and moderately bitter offering that still manages to hold its flavor without being too sharp and biting to enjoy. This also helps because the beer isn't that carbonated.

Mouthfeel - A comfortable feeling, given the identifiable bitterness. Thoroughly pleasant like the flavor itself.

My first Two Brothers offering is a huge winner in my book. From top to bottom this is a delicious, appetizing beer; think I may have just found a new style (French-Style Country Ale, respectively) I thoroughly enjoy.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Best by 9/25/14 (about 2 months from today's date).

A: Translucent medium amber body, tight cream colored head. Fades quickly to a lacey top.

S: Big tropical fruitiness and interesting hops. Certain sweetness and caramel aroma.

T: Balance of caramel malt and light yeast flavors. There is an assertive bitterness, but it Somehow finishes very clean and refreshing.

M: Surprisingly dry and clean on the finish. This is not a heavy beer on the palate.

O: Some big flavor but easy to drink. I'm not hugely into this mashup of hoppy/amber/farmhouse. Luckily they don't take either of those elements too far and end up with something pretty good.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

The beer is slightly hazy, with a deep amber body and a reddish cast beneath a short but creamy head of white foam. The nose is offers a combination of delicately toasty and straw-like grain with caramel and slight fruitiness. The body is medium-light with a zesty, very-fine bubbled carbonation. The flavor starts with bold, toasty and caramel malts upfront, followed by a splash of fruit (sour cherry, tangerine, plum) that fades into a rather dry finish. Mouthfeel is medium to light. The beer reminds me of a toastier and drier Irish ale. I loved it.

to view more.