Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Domaine DuPage French Style Country AleDomaine DuPage French Style Country Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros

12oz bottle poured into the nearest at hand pint glass

Smell is really great, a sweet hop scent with sort of musty aftertones

Taste decides to go in a different direction
Very gentle yet assertive hop hit up front, followed by a sweet wash over the palate. This beer really showcases a nice hop bite with a soothing, malty balance. While there are flavors of apples and something slightly musty which is great but I can't figure out what it is, I really love the delicate balance the hops and malt are playing.

Overall, I really liked this beer, had a great balance with some flavors thrown in that you don't see everyday, like an elephant walking a toy poodle. I wish I had some more of this, but will look forward to the day I see a six pack in the cooler.

12oz bottle poured into a cervoise.

A - Auburn body with one finger of puffy taupe head.

S - Biscuit, golden raisin, brown sugar, fruity hops.

T - Toasty malts with some esters of light dried fruits - apricots, golden raisins, apples. Understated hops add enough bitterness for balance, but there is still a pleasant, honey-like sweetness that lingers on the palate.

M - Smooth, medium body; fine carbonation.

D - Solid. This is a good beer that will definitely make it into my rotation. I could drink several in a sitting.

I poured my "French Style Country Ale" into my beer tasting wine glass. I gave it a fairly vigorous pour but did not get much head. Its a slightly cloudy amber, nice color. The nose is malty, a bit of apple. The taste is sweet malt with enough hop bite to give it legs. I detect a bit of flowery flavors and dare I say bubble gum?The mouth feel is sticky enough that it may discourage you from drinking it in the sun, but feels appropriate for shoulder seasons. I purchase a six pack of this beer on occasion, not a standby for me, but one I will continue to revisit. It offers a nice counter point to the stout and ipa that seem to take residence in my fridge.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Maredsous chalice. This ale appears a mildly cloudy, light chestnut color with about a finger of lively off white foam. Aroma and flavor are of sweet malts, white sugar, nicely toasted grains, fruity, apples, and bread. Medium to moderate carbonation, with a crisp, dry finish. Nice and quenching. Tasty stuff.

A -- A copper amber brew that pours into a two finger eggshell head to leave a thin splotchy foam, leaving wispy, broken lacing.

S -- Aromas of caramel apple, spice and hints of dark fruit.

T -- Slightly sweet yet dry malt characteristics with hints of floral notes, somewhat bready, some raisin and prunes in the background.

M -- Smooth and creamy, medium bodied, with moderate carbonation.

D -- Very nice. As this is what I think is my first biere-de-garde, I will consider it a style to look for and will definitely revisit this after trying a few others. Solid brew.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company