Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 504 | Hads: 1,395

This is a saison? I guess brewers can do whatever they want to a style, and I'm all for experimentation, but this beer doesn't fit into any category really, and it's certainly not a saison. A bit of an identity crisis here. Pours a dark, stained-wood amber, kind of nice actually, but with no head at all. If I had to place a style label on this one, I'd lump it in as an ESB or English Ales in general. Full of toffee, carmel, and buttery notes, with a fairly quiet hop profile. Decently malty, but lost. Once again, definitely not a saison in my book. Chewy mouthfeel, kind of slick. Well, it does have a few redeeming qualities, but it's nothing more than a mild amber with a saison label on it. Who knows though, you might like it. Two Brothers do a great job in general, this one just needs a little work I'd say.

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

Burnt orange in color..barely any head...soft malty nose...a little thin in the mouth...not real familiar with this style,so it's tough to rate...toasty malt tones, but they are faint...dry finish...I'm glad I tried it but not a beer style I would seek out again..

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Typical beer from Two Brothers, and by that I mean a brewery that mistakes quirkiness for quality.

Domaine DuPage's taste experience is a wild collision of incompatible flavors including heavy malt, honey, floral notes and caramel. In other words, there's a lot going on, but it doesn't all make sense. The clash of flavors in your mouth is noticeable, but not really something you want to repeat, in my opinion.

Based on tasting their other beers, there is no indication that Two Brothers is liable to change their philosophy, which seems to be "Make it Different." But "different" doesn't always mean "better."

3.04/5  rDev -19.6%

Enjoyed on a quiet Friday afternoon. The bottle has apparently been redesigned, but it is the same "food-friendly ale" as pictured on this site. Label stamped, "BEST BY 6/15/11."

L - About an eighth of an inch of off-white head, doesn't quite dissipate after about two minutes, leaving a film on top of the beer. Hazy copper-brown color, with obvious carbonation continuing to rise for minutes after the pour. Little chunks of yeast swimming around in there like yummy minnows.

A - Sweet plum overwhelmed by wood and bread. The faintest whisper of hops floats just beyond all that, not quite out of reach of the senses.

M - Moderate to medium body, good carbonation. And by "good," I mean present enough to tickle the tongue but not so strong as to clamber up into the nose. It leaves a kind of film-y feeling after going down, like rubbing your finger on rubber. I'm not educated enough to know why, but I wish it didn't.

T - Follows the smell diligently. A small point of sweetness hits at first, if not plum certainly prune and raisin, followed by fresh bread and biscuit washing the mouth while a tiny bit of bitterness shines from the back of the tongue. Major points for the restraint shown in the hop presence - just enough to be refreshing. Throughout, the yeast is very present, both in taste and in mouthfeel. One could even say the yeast is an 'atmosphere' with this beer.

That said, the taste is weak, almost a background to the mouthfeel. Drinking it is like listening to a good band with the volume down. I like what I hear, but...what exactly are they saying?

D - Pretty decent. I wonder what this would be like with food for two reasons: 1) the rubber-rubbing after-feel might disappear with a meal, and 2) the taste might seem even weaker than it does here (and I haven't eaten for about three hours). At 5.9%, it could be a good one with which to begin an evening of moderate debauchery (as opposed to heavy or even wild debauchery, obviously). I would buy it again, but only after its next release to see how it changes.

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Amber in color. Small head.

Smell: Caramel is the prevalent smell....smells a bit toasty as well.

Taste: Mild toasty caramel upfront that fades into mild hop bitterness

Mouthfeel: It doesn't feel thin. has some backbone

Drinkability: This beer doesn't impress me enouhg to have me wanting to drink more than few

3.06/5  rDev -19%

12oz botte recieved in 24 sample pack.

a-redish orange with a pretty large head. When head goes down leaves tons of lacing

s-yeast, bread, sour, token beer smell

t- mild, soft, smooth taste and relatively sweet, almost too sweet

m- frothy, not to carbonated, but carbonated enough. I like he mouthfeel very easy to go down

d- not the best beer I have ever had but something I can stomach. Very easy to drink. If someone is not into craft beers then I would reccomend this.

3.07/5  rDev -18.8%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint glass.

This beer poured a copper/amber, fairly clear with a good white head, and very solid lacing.

The aroma is light fruity apricots but thats about it. Taste is a lot of yeasty and white wine characters. Just weird, confusing and not very good.

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

From bottle at Fountainhead Chicago.

Appearance was light brown, with quick white head.

Smell was fruity with some hoppiness as well. Bitter/sour finish in my opinion.

Taste was not my cup of tea. Slightly too bitter and not enough fruity sweetness that the smell suggested.

Overall not a great beer. If I had bought a 6 pack I'd probably drain pour it. One drink is enough for me. The sour/bitterness just kills it for me. I might be open to trying again, but not for a while.

3.1/5  rDev -18%

12 oz into a snifter...maybe I just shouldn't post this review...I don't like saying negative things about local brewers generally and my opinion of this beer is quite a bit lower than the consensus it seems.

Appearance is ok as far as color, a medium clean copper that is respectably bright. Head retention is on the weak side though. Also, for this style, I feel like it should be a little murkier.

Aroma is off for the style. Hops are appropriately subdued, but the yeast character definitely does not shine here. Where is the funk? This style traditionally has a nice funky yeast. The points it is getting here is for a decent malt profile.

Taste is not too bad, but again, it's like half of the style. It ought to be mustier and funkier. The malt backbone is pretty good and the subdued balancing hops are ok too. I guess they needed to keep grocery store beer buyers in mind when developing this taste.

Mouthfeel is fine, nothing objectionable at all. It's not outstanding, but good. Overall, it's not a bad deal and I like to support local breweries, but I can't recommend it unfortunately.

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Clear red and violet hued amber with a thin, disappearing head and faint lacing.

Living nearby, I wonder the water Two Brother's uses for there brews because the smell is so familiar. Must the minerals in there or something, I have no idea. Anyway, to me, smelled like DuPage County tap water, a hint of berry caramel malt and in there somewhere were green hops, but nothing that stands out.

Tastes like a toned-down amber. Black currant tea flavor. Like the smell, nothing leading the way, just the water, light caramel malt and faint hops all doing there own thing.

Light body, medium fizzy carbonation, some tingling sensation at the finish that rounds it out. Could be easily drinkable if there was some incentive in the flavor dept., its average and balanced.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours with a three-finger head that fades to a ring leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is a earthy hop. Starts slightly hoppy has an earthy spice flavor, finish is clean, more hops than malts. $1.85 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is amber orange with about a half finger of light tan head. No lace left behind.

The aroma is lightly spiced apples and sweet malt. A touch of grass and wheat as well. Not real strong in the nose.

The flavor is malty with a dry hop bite. Moderate spice with a solid wheat cracker backing. Not super strong in the taste department as well.

Medium body with average carbonation.

Overall nothing real special. Drinkable but not memorable.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

A - pours a murky orangish brown with a fine layer of bubbles on the surface

S - i'm picking up aromas of oranges & raspberries along with bready grain

T - sweet malt, grain and hints of honey and lemon

M/D - kind of bland tasting, not as flavorful as I was hoping for. I probably won't pick up another

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%

Tasted on-tap 09/30/05 at Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston, MA.

Billed as Two Brothers Saison Domaine Dupage with 5.9% ABV @ $3.95/pint.

Dark golden to copper in color with a decent creamy off-white head. Strange all malt, almost Oktoberfestish, saison with very little spicy character that is typical in aroma and flavor. Medium-full bodied and creamy. Not very intense in any way. A dumbed down Fantome.

After a Pumpkin Porter, I was really in the mood for a nice spicy Saison ... what a disappointment this one turned out to be.... flabby.

3.17/5  rDev -16.1%

Color is a deep, rich red. The beer is exceptionally bright and clear. There is an abundance of head, and it sticks around for awhile.

Odor is sweet and bready. Taste is light and sweet, and at least at first, has a buttery quality to it. Not a lot of hop character (the beer is 24 IBU's by design), but the hops do seem to intensify slightly as the beer warms.

Bought at Breeze-Thru Liquor in Milwaukee.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a nicer copper color with a hint of red, and a bit of an off white head. Seems to have quite a bit of carbonation as well

A lot of malt in the smell, as well as yeast. Reminds me a bit of bread, with just a hint of spice, maybe pepper.

The sweetness really hits you at first, malty with a bit of caramel. There is spice there, a hint of pepper and clove. The hops kick in at the finish. and they do linger a bit.

No complaints with the feel, not too thick, not too thin. The carbonation keeps it lively.

I am not familiar with this style. so have to review this mainly based on how it tastes to me. It does remind me a bit of a wheat beer, has that bread like smell and taste I associate with that style. It's really not a bad beer, but not one that made me stand up and take notice either.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

A delicious, but overly sweet French-style ale. The enjoyable confectionate side struggles without a balance from more acidic or attenuated character.

A clear copper colored beer has a froathy 1/4" foamstance from start to finish with good retainage and lacing. Darker in color than most and quite clear, it seems to be a more robust version of the style.

Malty sweet aromas take on a kettle-caramelization note with scorched molassas and a tea-like tobacco quality. A yeasty-fruity scent rounds out a very simplified Belgain aroma.

Again, sugary sweet flavors start the tasting. Fruity and confectioner's sugar come together in a rather Pez-like taste. Great when I'm 5, but at 35 I might want a more grown up taste. Malt flavors are swamped by the sugary taste, but do show a caramelly, bready taste that's reminscent of cookie dough. Lightly spicy with the tea-like hoppiness and light spicy phenolics. Mildly bitter but it hardly helps to offset the immense sweetness.

For a sweeter beer, the body starts out medium and lightens a bit going into the alcoholic and spicy finish but the beer retains its sugary feel throughout.

Well aged beers like the Garde/Mars Ales should have a level of depth, complexity, and maturity that is lacking from this sugar-tooth of a beer. I appreciate the character of the sweetness that focuses on the whisping powdered sugar impressions but this level of intensity and lack of balance or depth, it's tough to celebrate.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

No freshness dating, but best if used by 3/29/2008 on label. Poured into my Harpoon IPA glass. Presented with a beautiful copper color. Fluffy white head that dissipated quickly into a thin skim; light consistent lacing throughout the session. Scent of hops (reminded me a little of MH #9). Taste was not what I expected - slightly more malt than hops, but also tasted a little skunky. Somewhat lively mouthfeel initially, but carbonation disappeared rather quickly, leaving somewhat of a flat, mellow mouthfeel; not at all crisp. Not bad, but somewhat middle of the road all and all.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

It was on-tap @ the Brew Kettle on April 27th, 2007. On the Brew Kettle's beer menu, they said that Domaine DuPage was a Saison (not correct) with 22 IBUs with an ABV percentage of 6.0%. It came to me to at the right temperature in a standard nondescript American pint glass.

It poured a dark reddish amber with a thin layer of white foam that quickly dissipated away into a few foamy white rings along the edge of the beer and a few white streaks of lace around the glass. It didn't have much of an aroma to it. All there was, was a light aroma of a few juicy fruits coated in brown sugar. That's all I got. When it warmed up, still nothing else emerged from the background of the smell. It had a light and mild taste of toasted malts, some juicy fruits, tame toasted citrus hops, and then finished off with a small dab of sweet caramel. There weren't many tastes in the taste department, but what was there made for a better than average taste. I would have to say the mouthfeel is on the light side with a soft aftertaste of toasted malts and a few juicy fruits. I wouldn't mind trying it again, but if I don't, I wouldn't be hart broken if I missed it. It was an OK beer.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Hazy amber body with a quickly thining tan head. Very little lacing deposited on the glass. The nose is fruity and light. The taste seems coarse and yeasty, a little grassy; not all that pleasant to my palate. Lots of caramel malt sense as the beer warms to room temperature. This beer has a medium body and slightly astringent feel. Strong aftertaste is not particularly pleasant.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at Two Brothers Tap House 03/28/09

A: Served in a tulip glass. Amber with reddish hues. Very faint, off-white head about 1/8 inch tall that did not stick around at all. Didn't notice much carbonation.

S: Very sweet, some caramel malt presence. A bit of mulled orange character with a faint spicy nose. Some alcohol and a very faint toasted grain character.

T: Difficult to describe because it seemed like there was quite a bit going on. Some syrupy sweetness, a caramel and toasted malt character that left a little bit of a nutty character on my tounge. Almost cloyingly sweet to my palate, previous beer was a Wit, but thi actually paired very well with my dinner. I'd try this again, but wasn't super impressed with it.

D: I'm surprised this is only a 6% beer. Seemed to have a bit more alcoholic character to it. Paired with a burger or nice sandwich, this was an excellent beer. I found it to malty sweet, but this may be good on hot summer day.

3.22/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle with best before date of 9/1/11

A-Dense tan head that continues to skim the surface for half a glass, hangs on to the sides as well. Color is amber/reddish with lots of yeast floating around

S-Yeasty, balanced hop and sweet, toasted malt aroma

T-Malty upfront that quickly ends with a bite of alcohol and astringent hops to cleanse the palette

M-Heavy and creamier than I expected. Pleasant.

D-After finishing 1-the end note of hops and alcohol bite limit the drinkability a bit for me.

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle, with a "best by" date of 03/29/10 to a tulip glass. Purchased as part of a sampler pack.

Appearance: Pours a blush red with a small white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell: Cherries, alcohol and sweet malt. Other fruit comes through, but I'm not smart enough to identify them.

Taste: Just as the smell suggests, but even more sweet in the taste than in the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium-bodied. Very smooth brew that coats the tongue nicely.

Drinkability: Not really true to the style the best that I can tell, but willing to try again as it was a decent brew.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: Clear cherry wood with an off-white, mottled head. No lacing.

Smell: Distinct smell of toasted wheat or buckwheat... very nice. Buttery diacetyl is quite strong, giving me the impression of buttered wheat toast. White wine is also detectable, as are a bit of fruity hops.

Taste: Mostly caramel malts, with a short finish of herbal hops. This is mild and clean, tasty but weak, what the French might call "tres blasé." It wouldn't hold up against many foods, but might be great with pasta or chicken in an herb-cream sauce.

Mouthfeel: Very light and flat. This needs work.

Drinkability: This is inoffensive and pleasant, possibly a good crossover beer.

3.26/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: yellowish orange with a finger of an off white head that leaves a little bit of a lacing behind

Smell: citrus, mostly lemon. Farmhouse yeast. Lots of grassiness and wheatiness.

Taste: lemon bread. Lots of grass and farmhouse yeast. The taste is overly grassy and comes off fairly sweet

Mouthfeel: super sticky and sweet. Pretty light

Overall: a bit too unbalanced for me. First drink was bad but it got a bit better as it went on.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company