Follow our progress ...

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by zerk on 05-15-2002

Reviews: 516 | Ratings: 1,461
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

I grabbed this right out of the cellar at 52 degrees and was not dissapointed. Pours the color of raw honey with a fast fading white head. I'm left with a thin collar shortly after pouring. The aroma is of roasted barley with a hint of sweetness and a slightly earthy undertone. The taste has a slight graininess to it with a honey sweetness. Caramel malts and a mild hop bitterness to balance things out. A very smooth drinker with a light to medium body and smooth carbonation. An easy drinker and more importantly, a beer you want to have again & again. This one has found a place in my regular rotation.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Clear, deep dark amber color, thin white head that clears out in a hurry. Smells like toasted grain and spiced fruit.

Smooth taste. Malty with an herbal character and just a touch of cidery sweetness that goes pleasantly bitter in the end.

Smooth mouthfeel, too, though the carbonation was lighter than I would like.

It’s nice to find a classy biere de garde brewed within 50 miles, and I’ll be drinking plenty of Domaine DuPage.

4.11/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a new belgium chalice, color is amber, copper edges, head was huge, settled to 1" then dissipated to about a ring with some nice lacing, color is off white.

Smell is caramel, light toast and biscuit, crisp hop notes, some grass, light spice.

Taste is spot on for a biere de garde, great malt sweetness, not overly so, crisp bitterness, intermixed wheat or biscuit flavors; somehow crisp and smooth at the same time. Spice is light and in the background

Mouthfeel is again very good, nice crisp flavors but tasty caramel/wheat malt sweetness to balance; great lingering flavor.

Overall, a very tasty, easy drinking brew; great malt/hop/carbonation balance, quenching and tasty brew.

4.11/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: cloudy amber body, finger khaki head
solid lacing

S: subtle earthy, sweet malts, biscuit, deep ripe fruit.

T: sweet malt, ripped raisins/dates, bready.

M:: medium body, nice carbonation balance
smooth

O: good session beer, fine for adventurous
Fat Tire/Amber loving friends. Enjoy 2 Bros
+ always enjoy variety of styles being
explored.

MERCI 2 BROTHERS; WORTH TRYING!

Revisited 5-10-2014

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Picked up a single at Woodman's West here in Madison.

Pour: a clear amber-orange under a finger or two of khaki head with nice retention.

Nose: buttloads of butterscotch, caramel-toffee, woody oak and yeasty funk

Taste: sweet caramel/toffee/butterscotch malts, light fruity body, tobacco/woody esters in the follow-through, dry finish.

Feel: smooth and silky, tickling carbonation

Drinkability/Overall: a surprising amount of caramel developments for a biere de garde. Complex, well-made, interesting, smooth-tasting beer. I'm game.

4.12/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just picked up a six pack not twenty minutes ago. It's not at all what I expected in a biere de garde but, surprise, it's better than I expected--even if I wanted more flavor from the yeast and French hops. I'd write in detail, but company just dropped by! And I'm gonna push a beer on them ...

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Poured 12 oz bottle into Domain Dupage tulip.

A: pours a deep golden with hints of red, very clear, 3 fingers of fluffy tan head on pour, leaves splotchy chunks of foam

S: strong sweet notes from the malts, some toffee, vanilla, oak, molasses, peat, caramel and some biscuity notes on the finish

T: the taste is more mellow than the nose suggests, but the sweetness comes through nicely on the palate. There is a nice interplay between sweetness and bread notes, caramel and toffee also come through. Reminds me of a scotch ale with a touch more sweetness

MF: medium body, medium carbonation, texture is creamy

D: this is a solid beer from Two Bros. Nice complex taste profile with nice flavor and great balance.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy reddish-brown with an off-white one finger head. Head retention is not very good but lacing is excellent.

Caramel immediately jumps out in the aroma along with a little biscuit and toast. I can also detect a little bit of yeast, molasses, and wood.

The flavor really seems to have quite a bit going on. Caramel and molasses are very prominent in the flavor. A bit of roast and biscuit linger in the background with a very assertive bitterness coming in almost immediately and lingering throughout. Oddly enough I can pick up some raspberry and bubblegum notes buried deeply underneath, presumably coming from the yeast. Mouthfeel is quite light but finishes a bit sticky.

Overall, an impressive beer in a style that is not seen too often in the US. There is a lot of depth to this beer and a whole lot going on. Definitely one to pick up if you get the chance.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a Two Brothers tulip.

A: The deep copper color has nice clarity and a steady bead of carbonation from tiny bubbles. A soapy cream head rests on top. It starts big and full before slowly settling to a thin film. Leaves a nice amount of lace.

S: Quite fruity and bittersweet. Raisins, currants and caramel dominate the nose. I even sensed a hint of bubblegum. A mild whiff of pepper and lemon keeps the sweetness in check.

T: Tastes initially of sweet breads and dark fruit. A pepper bitterness comes along quickly to quell the sweetness with a moderate bite. In the rafters is a bit of grapefruit citrus that seems a touch out of place. Finishes with a lingering sourdough sweetbread flavor.

M: The body is soft and smooth. Carbonation feels maybe a touch high.

D: This is a nice beer. It goes down easily, yet possesses a lot of complexities to ponder. The only detracting factor for me was the out of place citrus flavors. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Beautiful clear, crimson hue. White head dissipated quickly, but it may have been a bad pour on my part.

S: Crisp and fruity nose, akin to freshly picked apples. Light caramel notes and faint yeasty twang.

T: Sturdy malt sweetness, but not overpowering. Mild to medium hop bitterness adds crispness. A little apple-like tartness as well. Overall, mild yet enjoyable.

M: Lighter side of medium-bodied. Moderately carbonated and finishes clean, with a faint, slightly tart aftertaste.

D: Very versatile. Equally suited to be sessionable or a sipper.

"Refreshing" is the key word here. Interesting flavors and superb construction lend to its sublime mouthfeel and quaffability. At first taste, this one came off as a hybrid of several styles, but as time passed I realized that it was superb when judged by its own merits. An interesting venture from Two Brothers. I'm eager to see other American brewers tackle this style.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Tremendously hazy; medium carrot orange. Radiant. Nice finger of flat head. The haze is great.

Some biscuity malt. A little farmhouse spice. Mild flowery, perfumey hops. Very fragrant.

Sweet caramel initially, very mild and very nice. Second hit of a Belgian, champagne-like spice. As it warms, that toasted caramel comes back. Really great how it evolves.

Bubbly, fizzy, effervescent. Appropriate for style. Thick as well. Two thirds caramel, one third champagne. Impressive as hell.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

I haven't been a huge fan of the other Two Brothers beer I tried, the Northwind Imperial Stout, but this is a far superior beer, and merits consideration, should you find it. With luck they will continue to produce it, although it claims to be a limited run.

Pours a nice reddish hue, just fading to yellow around the edges. Forms a very respectable head on a vigorous pour, which held form well with some large-ish bubbles. Head is slightly yellowish. Smell is not overpowering, mostly a citrus note.

Taste begins with a moderate citrus on the tip of the tounge, and moves onto the middle of the tounge with what others have described as an earthy taste. I'm not sure I want the term earthy, but it is hard to find the right word for the pleasant but very mild sensation as the beer swirls around your mouth. Finish is hoppy, but also in a moderated way, and nicely balances against the other flavors without overpowering. The hops have distinctly grassy note, which conjures the image of a small chateau in the rolling wheat fields.

This is a superbly balanced beer. I didn't like it much when I had my first, but I came back the next day for a review, and found that it has grown on me immensly. The subtle combination of flavors at each stage of the drink makes it worth returning to, as I will, many times with luck.

[Edit 11/03] I've had mixed luck with this beer. Some are quite good, and others seem to have gone off. It varies bottle to bottle, but in the 12 I had, 2 were yeasty and poor.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was another recent acquisition during my visit to Mari's Six Pax 'n' Mor in Reading. I was surprised to see Two Brothers in PA and since this was one of the few that I had not tried previously at some point, it went into the carrier. It then took a back seat as I wended my way through a backlog of AIPAs and such, plus I was admittedly ignorant of the style until today and shied away from it until I could conduct sufficient research as to give myself some traction.

From the bottle: "French Style Country Ale"; "This food-friendly ale is deep amber in color, with a toasty, sweet caramel start. It finishes with just enough hops to clean off the palate. Bon appetit!"; "Two Brothers is a craft brewery on the outskirts of Chicago that specializes in rare and seldom-brewed beer styles. The two of us - Jason and Jim Ebel - strive to produce the very best beers available anywhere. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!"

I hope so too as I do not want to be duped in my own domain! Having learned my lesson with an earlier iteration of the style, I went with a kinder, gentler pour on this one. I ended up with a finger of foamy, deep-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was an elegant deep-amber, close to copper, with NE-quality clarity. Speaking of Nebraska, I recently got turned onto (both literally and figuratively) Val MidWest, a young lady from Lincoln who has an adult website and recently made news when she returned to her Catholic high school for an after-hours photo shoot! The nose on this was was really sweet, almost syrupy in its intensity with an underlying scent of dried dark fruits. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was unexpectedly less sweet than I had anticipated. Instead, it had a fruity quality, almost like fruitcake. In fact, that is exactly what it reminded me of with its bready, malty backbone to accompany the fruitiness! Wild. Finish was semi-sweet and actually quite refreshing in its reserved nature. This had the potential to be an over-the -top malt bomb but the masterful use of the yeast really worked well with the malt. I would recommend giving this a try.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

With 500 reviews before me (and my extensive review of this brewery's Roundhouse), I don't need to say a lot. Because I drink this ale several times a year and like these guys, I offer advice instead.

I know Domaine DuPage is their cash cow, so they probably don't want to make changes.
So, maybe they should offer another brew in the same style that is a little more yeasty and a little less clear. That Two Bros brew will get a little closer to the style.

And while Domaine Dupage still may be their food-friendly beer (and it was good with the range tonight of spicy pasta sauce, brussels sprouts and salad), more yeast goes with bread and baked foods.

This is on the list of "1001" beers and deserves to be because it turned a somewhat obscure style into something American brewers should try to improve on.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Brave stuff from a worthwhile brewery. This is an accomplished Saison that could be labeled as Fantome Hiver’s baby brother. It brings an mild sourness to the caramel dough nutty complexity that forms the backbone of this hazelnut amber brew. Buttery and musty with hints of grass and hay. Parties in the mouth. Medium bodied with nice light carbonation. No head. Excellent session Saison…but aren’t they all?

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

A very tasty brew form Two Brothers amber in color and hazy with almost no head. It is my first Biere de garde and I first had it sevral years ago. Unfotunatly it didnt catch on but, The Professor's Pub, a new bar in kent, ohio now carries it and i cant pass it up when ever i stop in. It has a nutty aroma with a slight hint of aprcot. The mouthfeeel and body are good not too heavy. In the end you get a slight hop bite with bits of citrus floral notes. Quite pleasureable.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

My brother turned me on to this beer. It's a nice medium bodied beer with a lot going on.
Pours an opaque orangy honey color with a thin white cap.
Nice low carbonation mouth feel, smooth caramel with sweetness, pears, grass, cotton candy? moves to some hops that give a good clean finish.
This is a impressive beer. I recommend this one for sure.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes deep red with virtually no head, but tons of lacing. Strange. There were toasty caramel notes in the nose, but pretty subtle.

I'm really digging the taste on this one. It's sweet upfront, but the toastiness and slight hops on the back-end balance it out. Very well crafted. Not a ton of carbonation in the head, but it's a beer that's meant to go down smooth. Boy does it. I'd love to knock back a couple more and at this ABV, I just might.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

I actually first had this beer on tap in Chicago last summer but am now reviewing a bottle. Pours out a light brownish-amber color with no real head to speak of. A bit hazy with some bubble making their way to the top.

The smell reminds me of apples and spice. Hints of malt and something bready are present as well. Taste is very similar to the smell. The malt backbone is much more present. The apple and citrus notes are nicely balanced through out. Very low in terms of carbonation. Very smooth yet still retains some complex flavors. Different than what I remember on tap.

An impressive brew that could use a bit more carbonation. Maybe it is just my bottle?

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Hazy amber with yellow trim in the body, with a finger of off-white foam; nice duration and lacing. Good nose, plenty of citrus and dried fruit, malty and a bit yeasty--sweet and a tad funky.

Solid, sweet and dried fruit taste--fig, date, berry, caramel--very good. I'd love a little more hop balance to this, but this is unquestionably one of the best representatives of the style I've ever had. The mouthfeel seals the deal--creamy smooth, but with a sour bite in the finish. The sweet-tart interplay is really impressive, and the vibrant effervescence brings it home with ease.

Domaine DuPage is another Two Brothers offering I've passed up for no good reason. This was excellent, and my wife, no huge fan of beer, enjoyed the heck out of this at The Crane Alley's beer and chocolate pairing with me tonight. I did, too. Excellent beer, well paired with a toffee/caramel truffle. Very well done, Two Brothers.

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

Had in a bottle at *Citizen in MLPS MN with Gravlax Benidict

A very nice pairing and a perfect Saturday Brunch

A:Clear Copper Liquid with white head and absolutely no lacing

S: slight straw aroma

T: Malty but not sweet, smooth and spicy on the back end with a pleasant bitter aftertaste, hops seam slight and on the backend

M: full body with a dryness that leaves a slight malty bitterness in the mouth

O:A well balanced ale that is a good pairing with any foods, pleasant and compliments foods but does not cave in as a simple beverage, it is distinct enough to add to the meal as a component and not simply hydration.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Appearance of rich caramel, with a light tan head that leaves some nice lacing as it dissipates. Aromas of toasted malts, caramel, raisins. Nicely balanced, not too sweet, with a pleasant, long-lasting, slightly bitter finish. A fine example of what may be an overlooked and/or underappreciated style.

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this on cask at the Clark Street Ale House. Wow... very refreshing. Not a ton of hops in here, they let the yeast do the talking for them. This is a very tasty, refreshing beer. My first French Country Ale, and I'll be sure to seek out more of them. Pours a nice orange/yellow color. Good head retention, and moderate lacing. Again, the aroma and the flavor comes from the yeast. This beer definately makes me want to come back for more.

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Milwaukee Cheeseburger Company, Franklin, WI:

Pours deep amber with a white head that leaves lacing.

The smell is of caramel with light toast and slight earthy notes.

The taste is of caramel and sweet biscuit. The firm malt is balanced by light toast and a tea-like earthy balance in the finish.

Very smooth fuller side of medium-bodied. It has a nice refreshing quality to it.

An enjoyable, malt-forward, but balanced, delicious and smooth, unique brew!

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%

a: This was a slightly murky, peachy golden color. I couldn't coax more than a thin, soapy head out of this one.

s: Lightly bready with mild fruit notes of grape and apple along with some moderate farmhouse funk and delicate spiciness. Nothing leaps out of the glass here, but it all comes together extremely well.

t: As with the smell, there isn't a single overwhelming element here. Just a bunch of hints and suggestions that make this fun to decipher. At various times I tasted slightly sweet grapes and other fruits, mildly funky wet hay, some dry unidetifiable spices, and a few other things I don't have the vocabulary for.

m: Light but creamy carbonation works well with this one.

d: Very interesting overall, I liked this quite a bit. Never had anything else quite like it.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company