Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Domaine DuPage French Style Country AleDomaine DuPage French Style Country Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 499 | Hads: 1,361
3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a clear golden-brown, with a creamy off-white cap. The nose is rather subtle with yeast and slightly toasted malt come out alongside hints of apple and pear. A very crisp balanced finish. It says on the palate then slowly dissipates. Thanks Heritage Liquor! (263 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

A great craft brew. It went very well with the great burger I had at DMK.
Spicy smell and taste. Hints of carmel. Good mouth feel and very easy to drink.
Very good white head. Reddish carmel clear colour. A gentle hop aroma with a decent bitter finish. (252 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber to gold in color with nice foam and some lacing. Mild aroma. Enjoyable malty taste. Very mild, but suprisingly complex. Lingers in the mouth and goes down easy. Overall a very enjoyable brew. (202 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle dated best by 12/29/12 (I think). Poured into tulip glass.

This is an exceptionally pretty beer. Pours a nice, cloudy amber color with an inch of cream colored head. Very nice lacing as well. On the nose, bready malts with a hint of cherries...cherry coffeecake. Down the hatch, more of the same malty/cherry notes. Light sour notes are detected as well. Mouthfeel is nice: balanced, medium.

I've had this plenty of times, and had some left over from a Halloween party. Good change of pace for my tastes. (513 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes deep red with virtually no head, but tons of lacing. Strange. There were toasty caramel notes in the nose, but pretty subtle.

I'm really digging the taste on this one. It's sweet upfront, but the toastiness and slight hops on the back-end balance it out. Very well crafted. Not a ton of carbonation in the head, but it's a beer that's meant to go down smooth. Boy does it. I'd love to knock back a couple more and at this ABV, I just might. (456 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

A very pleasant surprise from Two Brothers (and my buddy Jim B for setting me up). I've had mixed luck with the Biere du garde style but this one is a winner. Pours a luxurious brown with a slight head; the aroma and taste is delicious with a notable hint of caramel. Very drinkable at 5.9% - very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop. It's on my shopping list...

Edit 3-24-2012: Tried this again and ws not as impressed as in 2011. It was still good but didn't make as big an impression as last time. Not sure if this is due to variability in the brewing or an artifact of the style - biere du gardes have been quite variable in my experience. (654 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -26.5%

This is the third Two Brothers beer I brought back from Chicago and, like the others, it would do better if I were to judge it solely by its appearance. It's a hazy dull copper with a medium-sized light fawn head. As I drink, pretty mountains of lacing form on the side of the glass.

Also like the others, this one doesn't have much scent. What's there is sweet and fruity in a slightly syrupy way. Eventually I realize what it reminds me of; it has the creaminess of Gale's Christmas Ale, but without the spiciness.

I take a taste and am somewhat disappointed. The taste is slightly watery, and rather wimpy and thin. A nondescript fruitiness composes most of the taste. The "legs" on the glass look rather thick and oily; that, along with a certain winelike aspect of the taste, makes me suspect that there are some tannins involved.

After examining the overall taste and brooding on the finish, it becomes apparent that this beer's main problem is one of balance. Normally the hops wouldn't show through so much in a French ale. But this one is so thin, one-dimensional, and uninteresting up front that the hops in the finish end up overbalancing the whole affair. Also, certain elements that should be invogorating somehow manage to fall flat. The carbonation doesn't feel very interesting or lively; it's there, but it somehow feels dead. During the finish the woody tannins languish on my tongue in a rather uninspiring way. I won't be bothering with any more of this. (1,483 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Unexceptional. Clear penny copper with almost no head and no lacing at all.

S: Chocolate, toasted malts. Heavy, but not overly complex.

T: Cereal grains, chocolate, malts...heavier than it looks.

M: Fairly flat overall, not as fresh as I think it ought to be.

Not a great beer by a company that is otherwise pretty exceptional. (334 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep copper and amber color, almost no head. Lacey on the glass

S: It doesn’t have an overpowering nose, smells of caramel and malt can be lightly noted.

T: Wonderfully rich and malty beer, not too heavy. Tastes of caramel, lightly fruity/citrus taste and a delightfully slightly bitter end and taste of hops on the finish

M: Medium, not too thick

O: Was one of my staple beers for a long time. Had this first at their brewpub and fell in love immediately. It’s named for the county I grew up in too which is a nice local touch. I highly recommend it, there’s just a character to it that I really like and don’t find all that often in beers.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ (690 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a dark bronze with little head and even less lacing. A very crisp and solid ale with a fair amount of caramel malt that finishes refreshingly dry. A very solid ale from Two Brothers. I would recommend trying it out if you're looking for something solid that won't blow your socks off but is sure to satisfy. (313 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Ok so I have had only a couple 2 brothers products before. I was at jewel ,The scurge of beer buyers but hey it is always funny getting strange looks from people who go right for the BMC and go oh yeah 30 stones for 12 bucks, while I am looking at Plato , IBUs , and bottled on date and checking BA on my blackberry. It is a little chilly to walk to Binnys. So I wanted to try a brewery that I have had limited exposure too. DFH is running rampant at Jewel mostly their mainstream stuff which I have had. Nothing again Sam and his crew I love DFH. So here I am and Heres we goes!

Appearance: Dark to medum amber in color. Good head at first that crashes into a fizzy white cap. Very decent lacing through my andeker glass.

Smell: Mostly sweet malt with a caramel kick and a hint of grain. Hint of honey with dried fruit and bread

Taste: Very sweet! Most of the smell comes through. I think this has been said before but it sort of reminds me of a brown ale. For a almost 6% abv beer there is a slight alcohol bite as it warms that I wasn't exoecting. Some slight brown sugar and floral notes in the finish.

Mouthfeel: I am new to this style so I am at loss to what this should be. The carbonation doesn't over power the beer. Medium body with a sticky finish. It is very smooth.

Drinkability: Very! The only thing that makes this beer a little less drinkable is the fact that my lips stick together. This is a very pleasant beer.

Overall: It is enough to make me seek out this brewery's beers a little more now. I am a Illinois native so that should not be to hard of a task. Next up will be heavy handed. (1,612 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am from Northern IN and now reside in NE IL... Have seen 2 Brothers @ my Favorite Beer Store, Woodmans...
I like this beer and am learning to appreciate the local craft/micro beer companies, but am thinking I picked the wrong 1st 2Bro brew.. It's a fine beer to be certain, but my taste buds are evolving from an adjunct mass produced brew to a more refined beer with character and distinction.. I will say that this beer is crisp, has a clean sweetness, and finishes with class .. a floral beauty to be sure.. My taste buds have been seeking a hoppy, IPA bitter appreciation as of late.. But 2 Bro is a pleasant change to my recent beersperation so to speak.. I may review again after a 2nd try, but this French Country entry is good. Just not sure it's where my beer mind is wandering.. It's definitely a class beer.. and I need to grow up from an adjunct mentality to a classy Micro-Brew entry.. Will re-visit as my taste buds mature in a world of every changing beer-scape.. (981 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19%

12oz botte recieved in 24 sample pack.

a-redish orange with a pretty large head. When head goes down leaves tons of lacing

s-yeast, bread, sour, token beer smell

t- mild, soft, smooth taste and relatively sweet, almost too sweet

m- frothy, not to carbonated, but carbonated enough. I like he mouthfeel very easy to go down

d- not the best beer I have ever had but something I can stomach. Very easy to drink. If someone is not into craft beers then I would reccomend this. (477 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -19.6%

Enjoyed on a quiet Friday afternoon. The bottle has apparently been redesigned, but it is the same "food-friendly ale" as pictured on this site. Label stamped, "BEST BY 6/15/11."

L - About an eighth of an inch of off-white head, doesn't quite dissipate after about two minutes, leaving a film on top of the beer. Hazy copper-brown color, with obvious carbonation continuing to rise for minutes after the pour. Little chunks of yeast swimming around in there like yummy minnows.

A - Sweet plum overwhelmed by wood and bread. The faintest whisper of hops floats just beyond all that, not quite out of reach of the senses.

M - Moderate to medium body, good carbonation. And by "good," I mean present enough to tickle the tongue but not so strong as to clamber up into the nose. It leaves a kind of film-y feeling after going down, like rubbing your finger on rubber. I'm not educated enough to know why, but I wish it didn't.

T - Follows the smell diligently. A small point of sweetness hits at first, if not plum certainly prune and raisin, followed by fresh bread and biscuit washing the mouth while a tiny bit of bitterness shines from the back of the tongue. Major points for the restraint shown in the hop presence - just enough to be refreshing. Throughout, the yeast is very present, both in taste and in mouthfeel. One could even say the yeast is an 'atmosphere' with this beer.

That said, the taste is weak, almost a background to the mouthfeel. Drinking it is like listening to a good band with the volume down. I like what I hear, but...what exactly are they saying?

D - Pretty decent. I wonder what this would be like with food for two reasons: 1) the rubber-rubbing after-feel might disappear with a meal, and 2) the taste might seem even weaker than it does here (and I haven't eaten for about three hours). At 5.9%, it could be a good one with which to begin an evening of moderate debauchery (as opposed to heavy or even wild debauchery, obviously). I would buy it again, but only after its next release to see how it changes. (2,045 characters)

I poured my "French Style Country Ale" into my beer tasting wine glass. I gave it a fairly vigorous pour but did not get much head. Its a slightly cloudy amber, nice color. The nose is malty, a bit of apple. The taste is sweet malt with enough hop bite to give it legs. I detect a bit of flowery flavors and dare I say bubble gum?The mouth feel is sticky enough that it may discourage you from drinking it in the sun, but feels appropriate for shoulder seasons. I purchase a six pack of this beer on occasion, not a standby for me, but one I will continue to revisit. It offers a nice counter point to the stout and ipa that seem to take residence in my fridge. (661 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

The foam is here to stay. It does weaver down a little but it hangs in there. The beer is a nice mahogany color that looks great. Very desirable just looking at it.

Smells a bit off. Could be getting old. Smells like old sour apples. But there is good apple smell mixed in there to along with a sweet caramel smell, which is quite pleasant.

Large malt taste that has reminds me of cider. A cool caramel sweetness that transitions in to hop bitterness. Good soft carbonation like a bottle conditioned beer. The carbonation keeps it from getting to heavy and the hops clean your pallet for the next swig of beer. Before you know it, this beer is gone!

Great fresh flemish fantastic ale! (693 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Clear red and violet hued amber with a thin, disappearing head and faint lacing.

Living nearby, I wonder the water Two Brother's uses for there brews because the smell is so familiar. Must the minerals in there or something, I have no idea. Anyway, to me, smelled like DuPage County tap water, a hint of berry caramel malt and in there somewhere were green hops, but nothing that stands out.

Tastes like a toned-down amber. Black currant tea flavor. Like the smell, nothing leading the way, just the water, light caramel malt and faint hops all doing there own thing.

Light body, medium fizzy carbonation, some tingling sensation at the finish that rounds it out. Could be easily drinkable if there was some incentive in the flavor dept., its average and balanced. (773 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from growler into pint glass.

A: A rather bright, but attractive hazy orange color with a thin head that quickly collects in a ring around the side of the glass.

S: Toasted bready malts with a fruity sweetness. Smells very inviting.

T: Really good tasting beer. Heavy on the malt flavoring, but balanced against mild hop taste makes this one extremely enjoyable.

M: Thin to medium body. To me it's strange that a beer would have so much flavor and feel so thin. Definitely contributes to this being a very sessionable beer.

O: This is my current local favorite. So solid, so much flavor, so easy to drink. I have never had another beer of this style, so I don't know how true it is to other Biere de Garde's, but I do know that I love this one.

Even though "amber" can be such an all encompassing term, and I am not sure if this beer falls into this catagory, this is what I expect an "amber" to be. Most amber ales leave me disapointed, but this one, no way! Try it. (981 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

A very tasty brew form Two Brothers amber in color and hazy with almost no head. It is my first Biere de garde and I first had it sevral years ago. Unfotunatly it didnt catch on but, The Professor's Pub, a new bar in kent, ohio now carries it and i cant pass it up when ever i stop in. It has a nutty aroma with a slight hint of aprcot. The mouthfeeel and body are good not too heavy. In the end you get a slight hop bite with bits of citrus floral notes. Quite pleasureable. (475 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in a pint glass with a good white head. Lacing clung the entire way down the glass. Clear, reddish-brown liquid. Aroma was of malt, a hint of spice and fruit. Taste was of malt, but not too sweet. Balance and "bready." Minimal hops and a little yeast.

Tastes great and very drinkable. (292 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Poured a clear amber color with an off-white head that sticks around and produces some decent lacing

S- Sweet and malty with the faintest amount of hops in the background

T- Like it smells..sweet with a good malt back bone...also has some yeast and spice notes to it...tastes good, but was hoping for more...

M- Clean and crisp and somewhat dry...but it just felt a little thin, not bad, but just like it was missing something...

D- Definitely not my favorite offering from Two Bros., but still a good brew...even with that said, I would not hesitate to recommend this one... (582 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods (Cambridge). Served in pint glass.

Thin head, less than 1/8 inch, but with surprisingly good lacing. Appears clear (no cloudiness), very light carbonation, light reddish-copper color. Sweet aroma, hints of apple. Slightly tart mouthfeel but smooth due to the lack of carbonation. As for taste, a sweet malty start quickly fades and gives way to a moderate alcohol presence. Strong caramel taste, good grain flavor, and a faintly bitter finish. Not quite like the other saisons I've had (perhaps it's the "Country Ale" twist), but I really like it. (579 characters)

3.78/5  rDev 0%

Appearance is quite bad, cloudy chestnut brown with basically no head, and the little there was faded almost instantaneously. The aroma though is nice lots of fruit, strawberries, and blueberries, with hints of baking spicies.

The taste is a mix of incredibly unique and boringly standard, the standard is the basic ale taste, but the unique is it has a long lasting chocolate and blueberry note. But the mouth feel is wonderful, and its flavor is quite intriguing to the point that it is wonderfully drinkable. (512 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Best by date of 1/29/12.

Appearance: Poured a burnt orange/copper color. Had a nice had that was slightly off white and little lacing. Kind of foggy.

Smell: Fruity apple smell. I get the sweetness of apple cider. Caramel as well.

Taste: Strong fruit flavor, similar to the smell. Sweet aftertaste. I also get a hint of dark fruits like raisin and spices.

Mouthfeel: Slight crispness in the beginning that sites well. It is smooth and finishes that way. There is the slight sweetness at the end that lingers.

Overall: This is a good beer that is easy to drink. It is a little too sweet for what I enjoy. I like the relatively mild carbonation and smoothness. I also like the rustic fell to it as well. (740 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Had on tap at The Black Sparrow in Lafayette, IN

Color/Appearance: a VERY clear medium red/amber. Little to no head - white in color and quickly dissipating leaving some lace behind.

Scent is a mild roasty malt scent with rich caramel notes.

Alcoholly-toased almond to amid-caramel roasted taste. Shifts as warms to lemony hops and a dry lemon finish. Moderately carbonated. (377 characters)

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company