Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Dark amber with brassy highlights. Very nice color. Head's pretty thin, just a collar & dusting.

Smell is malt-forward, with sweet caramel & honey notes. Very good but not too complex, reminds me more of a Wee Heavy than a Biere de Garde.

Taste is sweet at first as well, but soon begins to curl around & gain a little complexity, with some orange zest & even a little woody flavor. Still pretty sweet, but with some depth. The finish is caramel with some freshness like greens or even mint, a kind of cool feel.

On the thin side, but with some traction from sugars. As I just mentioned, there's a coolness like mint or menthol in the aftertaste that I'm really enjoying.

Altogether pretty nice -- while not the most complex farmhouse ale, what was there was very enjoyable. If given the opportunity, I'd probably go for another one.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass, included in my last package from the esteemed Jeff (AleWatcher). Always much appreciated!

Pours a pleasant, clear-ish deep copper with a thin, whispy attempt at an off-white head that never makes it past fizzle stage.

Nose is quite nice - light notes of apples and a bit of caramel, earthy over-ripe fruit, nicely toasty.

Taste is just straight up delicious. Now admittedly, this is a style that A) I love and B) I feel is crazy under-represented, so take that into consideration. But back to the beer; it's complex, tasty, and quite moreish. Initial hit of toasty caramel wrapped around earthy apple and ripe fruit notes, lightly tart, coasts all the way to the finish, where a bit of alcohol comes poking through in the midst of lingering, tasty earthy fruit notes.

Mouthfeel is soft, medium bodied and a bit lush, light carbonation that tickles the tongue and then gets out of the way. Perfectly matched.

Drinkability is nice, very tasty and enjoyable. The alcohol comes through fairly noticeably for the abv, which is distracting, but doesn't get in the way too, too much. Overall, a very tasty beer.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from the brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by date of 8/10/10 on the back label. The brew pours a crystal clear copper color with an off-white head topping it off. The head is fluffy and leaves a nice veil of lacing down the inside of my glass.

S - Sweet caramalized malts abound in the aroma...maybe a touch of butterscotch in there as well.

T & M - The taste far outperforms the nose. The toasty and sweet caramelized malt provides huge flavor. Some spiciness in the middle, then it finishes with just a slight floral hop bitterness toward the end. There's some unrecognizable fruit lingering about it there as well. As soon as I took it into my mouth I remarked to myself about how creamy this beer seems.

D - This beer has an understated complexity to it that makes it especially interesting, and tasty! This is the first brew I've had from Two Brothers, and now I want to try more. Very impressed!

3.29/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a dark amber color with no head just a ring. No lacing.

Aroma is of just malt. Sort of brown sugar and honey. Not much.

Tastes like it smells. Nit very complex. A little bitterness. It's ok.

Mouthfeel is sort of viscous and not carbonated enough.

For sure not a beer you need to seek out. In fact there are probably others you have access to that are much better that I would drink over this. Not bad. Just bland.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

From 12oz bottle into New Belgium Globe Glass

Pours a 1-finger head which stuck around for a while. Some nice lacing present.

Smells of malt, yeast, fruit, and a hint of caramel

Lots of caramel malts here. As it warmed the flavors became more pronounced and I picked up some fruit (plums and pears) finished with a really mild hop presence which was pleasant.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Coats the tongue nicely, however.

Overall a pretty delicious beer. Certainly a unique style I haven't had much of. Balanced and complex.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a amber brown in color. Small head faded away quickly. Slight lacing.

S: After it warmed up it was easier to smell. Smelled of caramel, dark fruit, and sweet malt.

T: Taste of caramel wright away. Little bit of a sweet malt tatse and dark fruit. A clean hop finish!

M: Thin body. Hardley any carbonation.

D: Very good drinkabilty. I've heard good things about this and they were wright! I'm glad I finally picked it up and gave it a try. I would recommend this beer!

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Appearance - Pours a reddish (almost purple) hue, with one finger of head that quickly disappeared into a thin haze hovering over the beer. Minimal lacing.

Smell - Dark fruit, malt, yeast, green hops coming in under the radar.

Taste - Big caramel malt flavor, grapes, plums, other dark fruit, spicy hop finish. Malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - light-bodied, almost fluffy finish.

Drinkability - This was a really fun beer to drink. Dark fruits, caramel malts, yeasty funk, it's really reminiscent of Belgian ales with a much higher abv. I don't mind malty beers, but I found it a little unbalanced in that you really don't detect much hop presence until the finish. I would say true hop-heads need not apply, but otherwise check it out.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Clear, bright toasty red/orange/yellow color. Thin white cap of foam, not a lot of retention and some small lacing.

S- Toasty, bready, caramel malts galore. Some faint notes of sweet fruits are noted.

T- Caramel malts again. Its sweet and malty. It breaks into a medicinal noble hop presence and finishes somewhat medicinal and astringent.

M- Lightish body with prickly carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

I had this on tap at the Illinois Bar and Grill in Lemont, IL.

A= This ale poured a very clear, medium to dark orange copper color. The head was off-white and creamy - rising a bit over 1/2" and then settling to a thin cap. Lots of lacing left behind on my glass.

S= Fruity and malty all at once. The malts brought caramel and a toasty note underneath orchard fruits and faint pie spice. Nicely complex without being over the top.

T= The malt flavor started off with the caramel and toasted grains noted in the aroma, then continued to build in intensity. Very malty but never sweet...just rich and bready. The middle was all fruitiness and yeast influenced. Orchard fruits like apples and pears were most identifiable, but some floral hints and spiciness emerged in that middle too. Finished fairly dry, malty, and with a kiss of alcohol.

MF= Just to the lighter side of medium bodies, with a medium carbonation crispness and a slightly slick mouthfeel.

D= This beer is one of those that is night-and-day better when its fresh and on-tap. I have had some bottles that just didn't do it for me, but this bar serves this beer super fresh and its delicious.

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle, with a "best by" date of 03/29/10 to a tulip glass. Purchased as part of a sampler pack.

Appearance: Pours a blush red with a small white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell: Cherries, alcohol and sweet malt. Other fruit comes through, but I'm not smart enough to identify them.

Taste: Just as the smell suggests, but even more sweet in the taste than in the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium-bodied. Very smooth brew that coats the tongue nicely.

Drinkability: Not really true to the style the best that I can tell, but willing to try again as it was a decent brew.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light coppery brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light caramelized malts, apples, some Belgian yeast, some spice and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with sweet flavors of caramel, apples and little bit of spice. Then a tart bite comes in quickly along with a mild Belgian yeast breadiness and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. The hops presence is mild but complementary. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, it's a fairly solid beer overall but there are better beers in the style that I would select before this one.

3.29/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Reddish and clear.Thin head that dissipates quickly. Leaves behind some lacing.

S- Didn't smell too much to be honest.

T- Yeasty, little caramel malt flavor. Leaves much to be desired.

M- Creamy, little carbonation dances on the tongue.

D/O- Wants to be a 5-6 session beer more than I wanted it to. Hate to say 'forgettable' about any craft brew but I was let down with this offering.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

12oz botte recieved in 24 sample pack.

a-redish orange with a pretty large head. When head goes down leaves tons of lacing

s-yeast, bread, sour, token beer smell

t- mild, soft, smooth taste and relatively sweet, almost too sweet

m- frothy, not to carbonated, but carbonated enough. I like he mouthfeel very easy to go down

d- not the best beer I have ever had but something I can stomach. Very easy to drink. If someone is not into craft beers then I would reccomend this.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured 12 oz bottle into Domain Dupage tulip.

A: pours a deep golden with hints of red, very clear, 3 fingers of fluffy tan head on pour, leaves splotchy chunks of foam

S: strong sweet notes from the malts, some toffee, vanilla, oak, molasses, peat, caramel and some biscuity notes on the finish

T: the taste is more mellow than the nose suggests, but the sweetness comes through nicely on the palate. There is a nice interplay between sweetness and bread notes, caramel and toffee also come through. Reminds me of a scotch ale with a touch more sweetness

MF: medium body, medium carbonation, texture is creamy

D: this is a solid beer from Two Bros. Nice complex taste profile with nice flavor and great balance.

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Great garnet-brown color, with a thin lacing in the glass. Fast dying head after a couple sips. The flavor is bit too much maple/diacetyl for my taste at first, but I'm not too familiar with this style of beer. Very rich tasting, spicy and buttery flavors going down with a malty grain/brown sugar feeling in the aftertaste. Hops are noticeable but drowned out by the syrup on the tongue. Not sure I'd rush out for more of this brew. This is a unique beer that I might have to develop a taste for compared to what I usually drink. ABV is on the high side and the alcohol is up front. Powerful stuff. Good for a slightly heavier beer if you like a real punch and aren't put off by a sugary sweetness.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Hazy amber with yellow trim in the body, with a finger of off-white foam; nice duration and lacing. Good nose, plenty of citrus and dried fruit, malty and a bit yeasty--sweet and a tad funky.

Solid, sweet and dried fruit taste--fig, date, berry, caramel--very good. I'd love a little more hop balance to this, but this is unquestionably one of the best representatives of the style I've ever had. The mouthfeel seals the deal--creamy smooth, but with a sour bite in the finish. The sweet-tart interplay is really impressive, and the vibrant effervescence brings it home with ease.

Domaine DuPage is another Two Brothers offering I've passed up for no good reason. This was excellent, and my wife, no huge fan of beer, enjoyed the heck out of this at The Crane Alley's beer and chocolate pairing with me tonight. I did, too. Excellent beer, well paired with a toffee/caramel truffle. Very well done, Two Brothers.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a tulip; amber/mahogany with a minimal head that dissipated quickly.
Sweet malty notes and a hints of plums but subdued, perhaps cocoa in the background.
Nice yeasty and malt flavors with a tart follow up. I was unsure of this on first pour but its drinkability and balance has won me over.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Looks a fantastic copper/amber color with a thin and rather quickly disappearing head. Minimal to no lacing.
S: Expected a bit more here, perhaps more citrus or pine from the hops or some more sweetness from the malts. The malts did come through a bit and there was a hint of carmel as well. As the brew warmed, it's aroma was more apparent, but not as much as I would have hoped.
T: Nicely done here. The sweetness of the malts really comes through along with the carmel notes. There's also a dose of sugar sprinkled in. There is also a tad of bitterness at the back and perhaps a I detect a little grapefruite/pine sourness from the hops. A great balance.
M: Decently carbonated and thicker than what I would have thought. The beer has a little bite, but it quickly dissapates and leaves you wanting another sip.
D: High marks here. I believe the balance between what could be considered too much sweetness and not enough hops suits me well. It's easy to drink, very flavorful and the ABV isn't too high to where you couldn't perhaps session with this.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

I'm more of a Cook County fan myself but I'll give this one a shot.

Poured an opaque, ruby burnt orange. Steady lacing throughout.

Smells of sweet toasted malt, along with a nice bit of citrus and pure cane sugar.

a toasty flavor with caramel apple and maple syrup, very sweet.

A surptisingly light body but a bit dry.

Because this is such a sweet brew I would only drink one or two of these per session, but would definitley consider returning to for one on a consistent basis.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Two Brothers really needs to do a "wild" version of this...I still remember it on cask years ago, when I think the cask was turning, and the slight sourness was just perfectly woven into it.

Revisiting a single from a gift pack...

Gleaming orange amber, reminds me of the pumpkin ale I just had. Visible trails of carbonation, sticky white crown of lace, leaving spots around it. It has a slight haze, and an almost reddish tint.

Sweet apple aroma, hawaiian punch and apple jacks. Fairly artificial and heavy on the sweet side.

Malt/Barley forward, very appley from the yeast also. Slightly toasty with a mild bitterness, spicy from the hop content. Some tangible alcohol. Medium bodied.

Fairly good, 1-2 would be the max, not really a session beer due to the sweetness and fruity esters.

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Light red amber color, clear, soft beige head dissipates slowly leaving a very small amount of lacing

Smell: Nice yeasty nose with the slightest bite and freshness of hops

Taste: Wonderful sweet hoppyness on the front of the palette, a comforting, warm maltiness, followed by a clean mild finish

Mouth Feel: Smooth, higher than expected level of carbonation, a bit more watery than I would have liked

Drinkability: Excellent beer, not filling or overwhelming.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Dark amber in color. Little head to speak of.

Smell: Sweet caramel notes come out in the aroma.

Taste: Sweet malt and a doughy yeast taste. Caramel comes through, but less so than with the smell. Some other earthy flavors and maybe slight fruit notes that I can't quite pinpoint.

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation makes this very smooth. Body is on the lighter side, but not too watery.

Drinkability: Nothing unpleasant here and interesting flavors. Having another might help me get a better grip on what exactly I'm tasting.

Notes: This was my first Biere de Garde and was not at all what I was expecting. I was assuming it would be a lighter wheat beer, along the lines of a saison. I'd say I'm neither disappointed, nor pleased. I'm mostly just intrigued, with this specific beer, and the style. I'll probably try this again at some point and might seek out another Biere de Garde to compare, even though this beer didn't blow me away.

Redish amber color. I got a nice head on this one but it doesn't stick around long.

Bready malt almost like a pie dough. caramel.

Toffee malts with some caramel at the end.

This beer is smooth. I'd say less than medium bodied.

It's not something I would get too excited about in the future but I can appreciate its quality and can understand why someone else might love it.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

How weird best by 12/10/09 never had that happen before. Appears a slightly hazed amber hue with a nice creamy tawny off white head, leaves behind ample lacing with each sip fine scattered layers at that. Aroma has a nice vinous herbal flow to it with a touch of citrus hops but dominant bread like caramel roasted malts are the highlight of the nose. Flavor really hits with the sweetness upfront with caramel malt some heavy grainy Wheaties like flavors with semi bitter finish with some citrusand herbal hops carrying through in the finish. I get a nice fruity refreshing quality the whole time with a dry yeast and mild spiced finish. A really nice sessionable ale that packs massive layers of flavor, mouthfeel overall is smooth carbonation is moderate and natural body pulls off at least a medium ranking without overdoing any one area very balanced. Drinkability is sound in all regards I wish these guys would be more readily available for me, this Domaine DuPage was like a nice piece of crusted bread buttered perfectly with herbs sprinkled on top it was simplistic and perfect for the experience it's trying to pull off.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured golden copper into a snifter, with very little off-white head and no lacing. The smell was a little subdued for what I've grown accustomed to with this style; subtle earthiness, leather, and some spices (coriander?) and maltiness. The taste was a watered-down version of the smell, with even less coriander than before. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side too. This beer needs a little work.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company