Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Domaine DuPage French Style Country AleDomaine DuPage French Style Country Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was another recent acquisition during my visit to Mari's Six Pax 'n' Mor in Reading. I was surprised to see Two Brothers in PA and since this was one of the few that I had not tried previously at some point, it went into the carrier. It then took a back seat as I wended my way through a backlog of AIPAs and such, plus I was admittedly ignorant of the style until today and shied away from it until I could conduct sufficient research as to give myself some traction.

From the bottle: "French Style Country Ale"; "This food-friendly ale is deep amber in color, with a toasty, sweet caramel start. It finishes with just enough hops to clean off the palate. Bon appetit!"; "Two Brothers is a craft brewery on the outskirts of Chicago that specializes in rare and seldom-brewed beer styles. The two of us - Jason and Jim Ebel - strive to produce the very best beers available anywhere. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!"

I hope so too as I do not want to be duped in my own domain! Having learned my lesson with an earlier iteration of the style, I went with a kinder, gentler pour on this one. I ended up with a finger of foamy, deep-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was an elegant deep-amber, close to copper, with NE-quality clarity. Speaking of Nebraska, I recently got turned onto (both literally and figuratively) Val MidWest, a young lady from Lincoln who has an adult website and recently made news when she returned to her Catholic high school for an after-hours photo shoot! The nose on this was was really sweet, almost syrupy in its intensity with an underlying scent of dried dark fruits. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was unexpectedly less sweet than I had anticipated. Instead, it had a fruity quality, almost like fruitcake. In fact, that is exactly what it reminded me of with its bready, malty backbone to accompany the fruitiness! Wild. Finish was semi-sweet and actually quite refreshing in its reserved nature. This had the potential to be an over-the -top malt bomb but the masterful use of the yeast really worked well with the malt. I would recommend giving this a try.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer comes in an amber mahogany.

The aroma has sweet caramel and malt. It’s very bready.

The flavor follows. It’s a malty beer with sweet caramel, but it’s pretty refreshing as well. It’s not cloying or too sweet, but very nutty and sweet bread.

It’s a tasty and easy drinking beer. I prefer a hoppier or less sweet beer, but this is a surely a great starter for those getting into craft.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%