Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Domaine DuPage French Style Country AleDomaine DuPage French Style Country Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from growler into pint glass.

A: A rather bright, but attractive hazy orange color with a thin head that quickly collects in a ring around the side of the glass.

S: Toasted bready malts with a fruity sweetness. Smells very inviting.

T: Really good tasting beer. Heavy on the malt flavoring, but balanced against mild hop taste makes this one extremely enjoyable.

M: Thin to medium body. To me it's strange that a beer would have so much flavor and feel so thin. Definitely contributes to this being a very sessionable beer.

O: This is my current local favorite. So solid, so much flavor, so easy to drink. I have never had another beer of this style, so I don't know how true it is to other Biere de Garde's, but I do know that I love this one.

Even though "amber" can be such an all encompassing term, and I am not sure if this beer falls into this catagory, this is what I expect an "amber" to be. Most amber ales leave me disapointed, but this one, no way! Try it.

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark copper color with some suspension/haze. Decent lacing along the glass.

Dark toasted caramel in the nose with some apple esters.

Yeast twang with a nice malty note. Loads of caramel and biscuity notes with a slight earthy character. Some vanilla and dark melanoidans. Very easy to drink.

I really enjoy the malt character and the mouthfeel. Again, very easy to drink and a nice beer overall.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

This is an amber biere de garde that boasts a nice quarter inch head of off-white with a tinge of yellow to it. It doesn't last all that long though but does leave behind thin bands of lace.

Most Belgian styles have a stronger nose than this. I had to try a few times to get a good sense of this one. I've rewritten this part a few times. Malt sweetness comes out first and smacks of caramel. There are some fruit esters in there, but I can't figure out what fruit they smell like...maybe fig? And there's just a slight mustiness to it, but not off-putting.

Not digging the taste all that much. We are past it's "Best By" date of 2/3/11, so I'm going to take that into account. There is oxidation, but I'll try to ignore that. The malts dominate and much of the fruit in the smell is absent on the tongue. Not a lot of complexity here. The oxidation does abated after a little while allowing me to get some more of nuances of this beer and I did notice that the fruits resurfaced. Still damned if I can tell which fruits though.

It almost seems flat, it's so smooth with an exceptionally clean finish and hardly any bite or aftertaste. I had to knock it down a little since the carbonation in a biere de garde is supposed to be higher. The bitterness is really low and their label does list the IBUs as 24. About the label...putting brown print on a tan background with a tiny font may result in a class action lawsuit for excessive eye strain. Who reads that stuff? Us beer geeks! That's who! This is even harder to read than the novels that Greg from Stone writes on his bottles.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: deep copper color, less than 1 inch head. ok lacing.

S: subtle earthy, sweet malts, deep ripe fruit.

T: sweet malt, ripped raisins/dates, bready.

Mouthfeel: medium body, nice carbonation balance. sweet bread.

Drinkability: good session beer, excellent for your friends that really are just getting into craft beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Best by 6/8/11

Appearance - A finger full of head with clumpy white froth. Laces well to the glass. The beer is a very cloudy and opaque brown to red-amber color. Looks like sweet fruits.

Smell - The smell here is very distant and cloudy. Faint hints of malt and wheat. Not much else is noticeable.

Taste - Very full of wheat. Kind of like I'm chewing on the wheatgrass itself. Tastes roasted with slight malts in the background. A light lemony cherry note remains very very subtle throughout. Slight spices as well.

Mouthfeel / Drinkablity - A very drinkable Biere de Garde. Light to medium bodied. A slight ethanol taste is present as I continue to drink. One of my favorite Biere de Gards I've had.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a nearly opaque hazy amber with a fingers worth of white head. Pretty bubbly lacing holds up pretty nice.

Light wheat aromas mixed with a faint light roasted malt scent. Very faint to say the least

A very warm abd wheaty taste is noticed very strongly throughout the beer. Probably the most dominating characteristic. Some roasted malt is noticed beneath the wheat and is balanced nicely. Within the subtle flavor combinations lies a faint cocoa taste.

Good carbonation ending with a creamy smooth texture. Friendly.

Drinkability is high on this one due to a very crisp, refreshing taste and low alcohol content

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Pours a very clear dark amber color with one three fingers of fluffy off white head. Leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

S - Smell is very subtle. Bready malts, musty notes.

T - Unique taste. Biscuity malts predominate. Despite all malt...the sweetness is held in check...all with very, very little hop bitterness. There is also some funky earthy, musty notes per the style. Very unique. Interesting.

M - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - Goes down easy due to mild flavors. Will have to try again. First time for this style.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

This was sort of a bare bones type of beer. Subtlety would be the word to describe this beer.

There was a faint roasted malt aroma along with a trace of honey.

The flavors were on the delicate side. It did have a toasted malt aspect along with a dry hops finish, but it was on the subdued side. At times I detected a slight honey flavor along with some earthy notes. Towards the end of the glass I picked up an alcohol smell, which was surprising given its ABV level.

The M/F was soft and it was easily drinkable. I could gulp this down in a second. The main reason I picked this up was because of its claim of being a versatile beer when it comes to food pairings. I paired this with a London broil with an assortment of vegetables.

Overall: I'm sure it would go with many food items. It has a very basic flavor, almost generic. This is not to say it isn't something worth considering. It has a very clean and refined taste. This is just a good basic beer.
Note: at times it reminded me of a Amber/Vienne Lager

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Visual: Poured into pint glass. Amber in color with a one finger head.

Aroma: Canned peas and toast in the nose.

Taste: The smell of peas really brougtht out a pea taste in my mouth that was really not that pleasant. The peas were followed by the toast (well done toast but not burnt), which was comlemented by hints of honey and alcohol. Bit of hops at the end finishes the taste.

Body: medium

Drunkability: Really wouldn't want to drink this beer unless I was eating a meal. The taste alone isn't desirable but the toasted malts would really complement a diverse range of foods.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright amber with minimal head/lacing. Some sediment gets in despite attempting a careful pour.

The aroma is rich with malt and some hops. The maltiness is almost caramel it's so sweet.

The flavor has some of the same notes as the aroma but it's not as sweet or rich and there's a lingering bitterness that I'd rather not have. Overall, though, it's a nice balance of hops with a soothing maltiness with a definite caramel/toffee impression.

It's a little thicker than I was anticipating but that's not a bad thing. The carbonation is pretty nice, though maybe a tad aggressive.

The drinkability looses points for the excess bitterness but otherwise is very good.

3.78/5  rDev -1%

Appearance is quite bad, cloudy chestnut brown with basically no head, and the little there was faded almost instantaneously. The aroma though is nice lots of fruit, strawberries, and blueberries, with hints of baking spicies.

The taste is a mix of incredibly unique and boringly standard, the standard is the basic ale taste, but the unique is it has a long lasting chocolate and blueberry note. But the mouth feel is wonderful, and its flavor is quite intriguing to the point that it is wonderfully drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a large wine glass. Best by 5/9/11.

A: cloudy, with plenty of suspended yeast, the head is negligible, the cap is scant but persistent, the lacing is decent.

S: earthy, barnyard-like funkiness, some spice (nutmeg/allspice), a definite pumpkin-like aroma, honey, a caramel/vanilla infused maltiness supports the whole thing.

T: the malt, funk, and spice all hit up front, the middle shows a slightly sour, vinous character as well as some honey, the finish is very dry, a little peppery, and finishes nicely with earthy/grassy hops.

M: medium-weight, ultra-creamy texture, the carbonation is plentiful and helps cleanse the palate for a perfect finish. Exceptional.

D: This is an exceptional all-season beer, and I will definitely seek it out again.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark amber with a small off-white head that retains nicely and leaves a good amount of lacing. Smells amazing with a combination of caramel malt, molasses, honey, sweet fruit, and just a bit of flowery hops. Taste delivers on the promising smell and is extremely well-balanced; sweet flavors of malt and thick honey fade into some earthy hops with a good combination of bitterness and alcohol. Mouthfeel is smooth and just a bit syrupy with significant body and moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer; the malt character is dominant but the sweetness is not overpowering; taste is complex. I could only do a couple at once but I would enjoy every sip. Loved it!

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Portsmouth tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent dark amber color with one finger of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass and the head lasts for 3 to 4 minutes.

s - Smells of bready malts, musty, earthy malts, and light caramel malts. As it warms up some definite fruit and some toasted malts. Pretty nice, but was expecting a little more caramel here.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, bready malts, sweet fruit, wheat, and toasted malts. Pretty enjoyable and definitely a step up from the smell. I like the caramel and toasted malts mix with the sweet fruit.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth.

d - I thought this was a pretty good beer. The smell improved a lot as it warmed up and I enjoyed the caramel and toasted malts in the taste. Would certainly have again.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: This pours a copper cherry color, with just a touch of light sneaking through the glass. Obvious yeast particles meander throughout the body of the beer while a modest eggshell head rests on top. Quickly it fades to a rocky bubbly ring with a few remnants of the head resting on top and a few spots of lace on the side.

Smell: Definite fruity esters here, but the aroma overall is pretty mild. Bready malt, red apples, sweet oranges, and a bit of spice.

Taste: Bready malt starts out the taste, almost getting lost because the sweetness comes second, along with the fruit. Cherry, sweet orange, and red apples form an interesting combination, followed by some general yeast spiciness. At first I get a sweet finish with nearly no hoppiness, but as the glass progresses (and warms) a white grape flavor comes in, drying it out and giving way to a a bit of orange rind and grassy hoppiness. The finish, however, is unmistakably sweet.

Mouthfeel: It starts sweet and juicy and pretty much stays that way all the way through. A brief dryness is apparent with the white grape flavor, but that's it. The finish is clean, but there is some resin left in my mouth after each sip. The body and carbonation are both medium.

Drinkability: Definitely drinkable, this would be the type of beer that would grow on me upon further consumption. AT 5.9%, it is not unreasonable to have a few.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

From notes. 12 oz. bottle on January 28th, 2011 in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Light brown/golden brown coloring. Half-finger, light brown/cream head is pretty inviting.

S - Something distinctly burnt in the nose is most prevalent character - almonds likely. Malty, some breadiness. A general spice quality, mostly cinnamon. Some caramel.

T - More malts. Cinnamon and caramel combine in noticeable sweetness on the front. It's certainly not a flavorbomb, every note is a bit subdued. *Slight* bitterness at the back. I think I enjoyed the smell a bit more.

M - Fairly smooth, not a ton of carbonation which I find appropriate for the flavors. More watery, not at all chewy.

D - Decent session experience. Worth another try.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Ok so I have had only a couple 2 brothers products before. I was at jewel ,The scurge of beer buyers but hey it is always funny getting strange looks from people who go right for the BMC and go oh yeah 30 stones for 12 bucks, while I am looking at Plato , IBUs , and bottled on date and checking BA on my blackberry. It is a little chilly to walk to Binnys. So I wanted to try a brewery that I have had limited exposure too. DFH is running rampant at Jewel mostly their mainstream stuff which I have had. Nothing again Sam and his crew I love DFH. So here I am and Heres we goes!

Appearance: Dark to medum amber in color. Good head at first that crashes into a fizzy white cap. Very decent lacing through my andeker glass.

Smell: Mostly sweet malt with a caramel kick and a hint of grain. Hint of honey with dried fruit and bread

Taste: Very sweet! Most of the smell comes through. I think this has been said before but it sort of reminds me of a brown ale. For a almost 6% abv beer there is a slight alcohol bite as it warms that I wasn't exoecting. Some slight brown sugar and floral notes in the finish.

Mouthfeel: I am new to this style so I am at loss to what this should be. The carbonation doesn't over power the beer. Medium body with a sticky finish. It is very smooth.

Drinkability: Very! The only thing that makes this beer a little less drinkable is the fact that my lips stick together. This is a very pleasant beer.

Overall: It is enough to make me seek out this brewery's beers a little more now. I am a Illinois native so that should not be to hard of a task. Next up will be heavy handed.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - Amber - poured with a little head. no lacing and head disappeared quickly.

Smell - malt presence in the smelll slight honey

Taste- balanced nicely - hints of citrus and the malts. slight bitterness

Mouthfeel- smooth. carbonation = good.

Drinkability- High.

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

Pours from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazed brown amber body. Red highlights really shine when held to the light. Half finger off white/light tan head show poor retention. Light streaks of lace that fall back into the glass when I drink this one down.

S- Some sweet malt gets overtaken by darker fruit....I mean a ton of prune really. Hints of brown sugar here and there but mostly just darker fruit dominates the aroma.

T- Caramel malts mix in the a light darker fruit in the front of the beer. This comes to light brown sugar flavor in the middle with a bready malt base backbone. The darker fruits kick this back up a notch along with caramel malts and a light alcohol flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is alright for the style. Caramel malts, brown sugar, and darker fruits left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet alcohol and darker fruits with a hint of caramel malts. Medium drying on the palate. Flavors are not really balanced on this at all. Light metallic off flavor does make this beer a little off putting flavor wise.

D- This beer might have been a little off and I will review it when I get another bottle. For now this beer is a horrible drinker and I think they did not hit the style at all. Oh well some people might like this but not me.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

A- deep amber body can see somewhat through it. Slight head after the pour which disappeared, after which a faint remnant remained through out.

S- Tons of toasty baked breads, like walking into a bakery in the morning after the ovens just been filled. Honey and spices complement the toastiness.

T- Same as the nose just with a slight twinge of alcoholic bitterness at the finish. Very tasty reminds me of Brown Ales.

M- Smooth nicely carbonated, no complaints here.

D- This is damn drinkable, a real beautiful subtle beer.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

A very pleasant surprise from Two Brothers (and my buddy Jim B for setting me up). I've had mixed luck with the Biere du garde style but this one is a winner. Pours a luxurious brown with a slight head; the aroma and taste is delicious with a notable hint of caramel. Very drinkable at 5.9% - very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop. It's on my shopping list...

Edit 3-24-2012: Tried this again and ws not as impressed as in 2011. It was still good but didn't make as big an impression as last time. Not sure if this is due to variability in the brewing or an artifact of the style - biere du gardes have been quite variable in my experience.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

A- It's a cloudy nice dark copper brownish color. It has a nice head that stick around for a bit and leaves some lacing.

S- It's a grainy toast smell with a hint of earth hops and spice and it's a little sweat.

T- It's a smooth beer with a good malt body. It's got a little bit of hops in it with some grain. I got a little bit of alcohol taste. It finishes with a nice fruity sweat taste.

M- It's got good carbonation with a creamy body.

D- It's a really easy beer to drink and to start the night off.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours dark amber- dark for the style, but with a fine white head that sticks around for awhile and leaves some nice lacing. Smells a bit grainy, like brown bread with some earthy hops and some brown sugar glazed pears. The taste is very nice- quite balanced with some slightly sweet grainy malt, some notes of banana and pear, and some more earthy hops as well as a touch of brandied citron on the end that intermingles nicely with the long somewhat bitter earthiness. Very smooth and silky in the mouth, with just a touch of tartness. A very nice beer- can't believe its taken me this long to try it.

My all time favorite beer. On tap (at the Two Brothers Brewery) or out of the bottle this is a smooth well finished beer. Great taste and drinkable all year, Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall this is a great year round beer. I would recommend that you visit the Two Brothers Brewery and have the Tap House Burger. It's a great burger with roasted fresh Jalapenos peppers folded into 1/2 pound of awesome beef. It's the best way to spend an afternoon on a cold winter day in Chicago.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: cloudy amber body, finger khaki head
solid lacing

S: subtle earthy, sweet malts, biscuit, deep ripe fruit.

T: sweet malt, ripped raisins/dates, bready.

M:: medium body, nice carbonation balance
smooth

O: good session beer, fine for adventurous
Fat Tire/Amber loving friends. Enjoy 2 Bros
+ always enjoy variety of styles being
explored.

MERCI 2 BROTHERS; WORTH TRYING!

Revisited 5-10-2014