Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,283 | Reviews: 493

Best by 9/18/11 consumed 8/13/11

A - Pours a clear light amber with one finger of quickly dissipating head. Very little lacing left behind.

S - caramel malts and apples, with a bit of apple cider.

T - quite a bit of fruit in the taste, but also a nice earthiness. Again fruit is mostly apple but some dark dried fruits as well.
Nice earthy dry finish. Malts are both caramel and biscuit. Some nice spicing as well.

M - Medium mouthfeel, slightly sticky.

O - overall a very nice beer. Seems like every beer that I have had in this style is quite different, so I have no idea how well this fits the style, but his is a nice easy drinking brew.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Smells of thick malts, bringing a brown sugar syrup aroma to the forefront, with hints of toasted grains just underneath. Most of these grain smells hint towards light toasted, but I seemed to detect just a hint of chocolate malt. A slight, fresh rosewater quality rounds out the nose.

On the tongue, the beer sports a sweet fullness, with apricot and butter flavors intermingling with brown sugars and caramels. A nice bitter hoppy background fuzz provides the perfect complement, tempering the sugars with just a touch of sour grapefruit, and a hint of rosewater. The sugars last well into the mouthful, peeling off near the end to expose a toasted grain base. The aftertaste carries all of the primary flavors, and lasts for quite some time, wavering between sweet and hoppy bitter.

Overall, while it may be true that this beer doesn't adequately represent the flavors present in a French-style Country Ale, it is still a well-flavored and nicely balanced brew, and worth a taste.

3.77/5  rDev -1%

Beer is copper in color, primarily transparent, white head of fairly dense bubbles of 2cm. Head dissipates quickly, leaving no noticeable lacing. Nothing wrong, but nothing special.

Primarily a grainy, multi-grain bread-like malt scent mixed with some other interesting, less identifiable esters, including a bit of farmhouse-must or -funk. Interesting, somewhat adventurous and playful, but would also appreciate a bit more aggressiveness here.

Taste opens with some fairly intense caramel malt, mingled with mild hop presence that is largely floral. This transitions to a heavier malt flavor with some herbal components . Finish is of semi-spicy hops and light malt.

Medium bodied, with light but ascertainable carbonation, this sits just right with me. Finish is fairly dry, but a bit sticky, as I would expect with a beer with so noticeable a malt component.

This is a flavorful, unique, medium-bodied beer that I could easily drink more than a few of in one session. Then note that it's at the lower end of the price and ABV spectrum these days, and I find this a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. I particularly enjoyed this one after dinner, so perhaps a very good digestif?

3.36/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured at fridge temperature from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint. Bottle dating reads: Best by 12/7/11.

A: Pours a clear brightly filtered, but burnt orange garnet color. Brighter than I expected. A thick tan head builds to about two fingers and recedes to a creamy, but thin-sitting crown of tan head. A nice looking beer. Looks like some good thick lacing.

S: A quick sour funk up front, followed by ripe figs with some fruity yeast in back. Buiscuity, with a bit of spice would make this a great Autumn beer. I wouldn't say it smells 'delicious' per se, but for the style it seems appropriate.

T: Starts a little thin up front but develops some creamy malt and bready, buiscuity notes. There is some funky yeast that works with subtle dry raisin and minor spicy flavor. Hops take a second seat to the bready malts here.

M: Oddly refreshing. Medium body with nice, consistent carbonation let the flavors work to the back of my palate. A bit creamy up front and in the middle and finishes with clean flavor.

O: This is a beer I expected to drink like a heavier Autumn brew, but had some thinner properties that made it more sessionable than I expected. I like the combination of earthy malt but I was missing the stronger lingering, robust flavors of the style. A well done beer that was very easy to drink with nice flavors, but they were a bit thinned out.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a nicer copper color with a hint of red, and a bit of an off white head. Seems to have quite a bit of carbonation as well

A lot of malt in the smell, as well as yeast. Reminds me a bit of bread, with just a hint of spice, maybe pepper.

The sweetness really hits you at first, malty with a bit of caramel. There is spice there, a hint of pepper and clove. The hops kick in at the finish. and they do linger a bit.

No complaints with the feel, not too thick, not too thin. The carbonation keeps it lively.

I am not familiar with this style. so have to review this mainly based on how it tastes to me. It does remind me a bit of a wheat beer, has that bread like smell and taste I associate with that style. It's really not a bad beer, but not one that made me stand up and take notice either.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Trying a Domaine Dupage from Two Bros....Little dissappointed that my beer has floaters in it...not a fan of floaters!!! The color is rich amber with creamy off white head....floaters are white! The smell is malty yet sweet. This is a very light bodied beer that has good flavor. The sweetness helps to carry the beer across the pallet. The mouthfeel is fine and it would probably go great with many different food pairings.

2.81/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Amber with a weak, white head.

S: Grainy and pretty rough. There is clear phenols and unrefined aromas that are unpleasant.

T: That gritty grain and old hop flavour is prevalent. Tastes like spoiling fruits and stale bread. Alcohol is clearly present throughout.

D: Booziness is far too strong for the ABV and the whole experience is unbalanced and just nasty...sorry. I know the style should show some booze, but this isn't a pleasant booze flavour...its just alcohol.

Overall: I like 2Bros; I really do. But this beer is just no good. Most of their regulars/seasonal are appropriate and faithful representations of their respective styles, but Domaine Dupage is just poor. It is unbalanced, harsh, and tough to finish. Grab a C&E or Resistance if you want to see 2Bros at their finest. This is them at their weakest.

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best by 10/18/11. Thanks for the bottle Craig!

(A)- Pours a hazy amber color. Produced a nice cap of tan froth. Some lace.

(S)- A mildly amber-like malt sweetness. Bits of a toasted caramel and corn husk.

(T)- Again, a mildly toasted maltiness. Bits of a rustic nuttiness. Some more bits of a subtle toasty-like spice.

(M)- A nice carbonation level and balance. Sweet, toasty, and rich. Finishes clean.

(D)- Not bad. A nice rustic feel to it with an overall smooth body.

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just as a heads up, I've only had one or two of this style before, so my ability to rate it against "the norm" is limited.

Fairly dark copper colored brew, fair amount of haze, small white head doesnt last long, but leaves a fair amount of lace. Pretty malty on the nose, some nuttiness, some darker fruits as well. Taste is very large, light sweet caramel front, some fruit and nut notes, spice, bready, a bit of candy. Pretty complex taste, i think they did a good job with it, its well blended. Medium to full bodied, pretty smooth and creamy.

Not only will i have this again, but i will go through their line after this and their fine dortmunder as well. Seems like they are thinking outside of the box and doing a good job at it.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

From bottle at Fountainhead Chicago.

Appearance was light brown, with quick white head.

Smell was fruity with some hoppiness as well. Bitter/sour finish in my opinion.

Taste was not my cup of tea. Slightly too bitter and not enough fruity sweetness that the smell suggested.

Overall not a great beer. If I had bought a 6 pack I'd probably drain pour it. One drink is enough for me. The sour/bitterness just kills it for me. I might be open to trying again, but not for a while.

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

APPEARANCE: A gorgeous pour with a fluffy and light looking homogenous head. The color is a murky reddish-orange. Lacing was strong and covered about half of the opposite side of the glass.

SMELL: This one has a very sugary nose, somewhat reminiscent of Cane & Ebel, but more dominating. Floral aromas highlight the sugar while hints of dark fruit linger in the background.

TASTE: This was one of my gateway beers into the craft beer world and after I really got into the scene I sort of forgot about Domaine DuPage, but it is nice to come back to an old favorite. I remember it being a little sweeter than this and I am surprised by the quick, bitter and slightly smoky bite up front. The familiar sugary flavor, however, is present on the lips and towards the back end of the sip as a touch of fruit and alcohol round this one out. This is a tasty beer. The aftertaste is very subtle, but leaves a pleasant touch of bitterness to whet the palate.

MOUTHFEEL: A bit sticky and well carbonated with very tiny, tickling bubbles. Not so much a sparkle as it is a fizz.

OVERALL: You don’t see a Biere de Garde every day, especially from an American brewer, but Two Brothers, as usual, did something a little unusual with this brew and it works very well. It is slightly on the sweet side for me these days, and I’m not sure I could knock down more than a couple in one sitting because of that, but to have one or two is certainly a treat.

For my 250th -- another local I've sampled, but never reviewed.

Best by 10/18/1 on the label. Hmm. Hope that means 11.

A -- Hazy orange-amber with a dense, light tan head that settles slowly, leaving good lacing and holding as a creamy cap for the duration of the drink.

S -- Bready, yeasty character with spicy, vaguely citric, hops toward the end. There is a candy caramel character to the nose with warming, along with the vaguely musty character.

T -- Bready character up front with some caramel and sourish Brett characters in the middle and lightly spicy and bitter hops in the finish. Aftertaste is a blend of breadiness and spicy hops.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and smooth with a light-medium body.

O -- This beer is a nice departure from the different Ales and Lagers available. Very complex in character, yet not so much happening that it's distracting. The light sour character could be a bit surprising to craft beer novices, but the malt backbone balances the flavors well.

4.89/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured this French Country Ale into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. This is the first time I have tried this style. The beer poured a clear, slightly amber straw color. It produced a nice white head and had average lacing. The aroma of the beer was sweet, smelled of fresh baked bread and had a hint of spice that I can't put my finger on. The aroma was wonderful. One of the best smelling beers that I have ever had. The taste was malty, a little bready, slightly dry and had notes of raisins and pear. There was some bitterness from hops that melded with the other flavors. Very complex beer. Awesome, I will be looking for this again. In fact a road trip might be in order.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

After an eye-opening exchange with Indianapolis’ own Sun King Brewing at a local restaurant, I decided to up my intake of local craft. Fortunately, it isn’t tough to find at the local liquor store: this particular beer had a huge orange sign displaying something along the lines of “State Fair Gold Medal Winner!” I was intrigued, so I grabbed a bottle. Domaine Dupage, out of Warrenville, IL – here we go…

A: A lovely sunset amber color on the body – it’s lively and appealing. The head, though, is almost nonexistent. Less than a finger at the first pour, soon contracting to nothing but a film. I really like the consistent display of carbonation in the body, though. It’s a nice diversion from the lack of a head and the subdued lacing.

S: Interesting – a musty, earthy smell at first. It seems almost symptomatic of DMS or some type of infection; it’s not really to my liking. There is a hint of sweetness below that, but it’s hard to get around such a prominent yeast.

T: A big, undeniable malty character to start with – sweetness that’s soon backed up by a touch of spicy, Noble hops. That funkiness that I am not incredibly familiar with definitely plays a part, accompanied by an old-fashioned mineral flavor that is reminiscent of well water. The finish is a strange bitterness, reminding me of orange rinds and astringent/blackcurrant. It carries itself in a way that would be best suited as a dinner beer; I don’t think I could have more than one bottle of this by itself in an evening.

M: Creamy, yet alive with consistent carbonation. This style should have that feel of “a beer you can almost chew,” because that’s what the palate calls for. They succeed there, at least in part.

O: A fair introduction to an uncommon style. I don’t think this will ever become one of my favorite types of beer, but who knows? I can certainly say that this one grew on me from first sip to last; who’s to say what change a few years might bring to my palate? I’ll keep my eyes open for beers of a similar style, to see what I end up deciding. Such is the adventure that is craft beer!

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

Blind Beer #1 - Light / Low / Tulip

Thanks to Kirk (Florida9) for sending me this in Round #5 of the Blind Beer BIF.

Amber brown in color with almost no head, just a slight ring around the edge of the glass. Aroma is all malt all the way. A slight estery nose like what you'd get from adjunct lagers mixes with a bit of sharp rye. Flavor is like you popped one of those caramel squares into your mouth. You know the type your gradma always had in her candy dish next to the gumdrops. Other similar tastes are fig pudding and grahmcrackers. Mouthfeel is fairly clean and not much of a lingering aftertaste.

Going to go with amber ale on this one for the style.

The reveal: Two Brothers Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale

Hmm, Biere de Garde makes sense with the esters I was smelling. This was a unique beer as it really showcased the caramel in the malt and is not a beer for someone that is not a fan of caramel. I can only imagine how long of a brewday it takes for that much caramelization to occur.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy medium honey brown color with light head and moderate lacing.

Appetizing and complex aroma - bisuity malt, raisins, cherries. Flavor follows suit - complex, tasty and well integrated malt, hops and yeast components.

Medium body with just the right carbonation. Dry finish, leaves the palate clean and wishing more.

Thanks to DavidEddie for the awesome extra. A delicious surprise. I will seek this out again and look for others from this brewery.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

I cellared this bottle from June 2010 through June 2011 in my basement. It was kept above 45 degrees for the year.

A - Pours into the pint a swirling red full of bubbles and yeast. The head has a moderate height at less than a half in but maintains itself well in a cloak of pale root beer. There's a firm carbonated presence as bubbles rush from the bottom to the surface at a consistent pace.

S - A strong malty aroma of what smeels like wheat fields.

T - I taste corn and slightly sweet malt alongside candy and apricot... or dates. I like it in its mild flavor. It is far from agressive or overwhelming until the finish where it seems to push a bit on the corn taste.

M - The feel has a wet, fluidness to it that allows it to go down without restraint.

~ This is a brew of which I had a second bottle. I'm thinking this is something I would recommend but simple as something with a chicken or pasta dish. Not as a beer to sit and enjoy in sucession.

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A tiny bit of a gusher, pours copper, mostly clear, with nearly a finger of white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves just a little lacing.

S: Toasted malts, toffee, apples, and spice character.

T: Toasted malts with a lot of toffee, apples, hop presence is a little floral and spicy, but there isn't much there. Middle is light malt and toffee to a very slightly bitter finish with a little linger sweetness. A little light in flavor, it's like a toffee and spicy apple juice.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation, fairly sweet finish with a little lingering bitterness and almost a metallic quality.

O: It's light, has a pleasant flavor, and is easy drinking, but it isn't that memorable. A good beer, but nothing more than that (not that it aims to be, nothing wrong with that). This would definitely hit the spot on a warm day when I just want something light and refreshing to go with a nice rustic pizza, pork sandwich, sausage pasta, etc.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz into a snifter...maybe I just shouldn't post this review...I don't like saying negative things about local brewers generally and my opinion of this beer is quite a bit lower than the consensus it seems.

Appearance is ok as far as color, a medium clean copper that is respectably bright. Head retention is on the weak side though. Also, for this style, I feel like it should be a little murkier.

Aroma is off for the style. Hops are appropriately subdued, but the yeast character definitely does not shine here. Where is the funk? This style traditionally has a nice funky yeast. The points it is getting here is for a decent malt profile.

Taste is not too bad, but again, it's like half of the style. It ought to be mustier and funkier. The malt backbone is pretty good and the subdued balancing hops are ok too. I guess they needed to keep grocery store beer buyers in mind when developing this taste.

Mouthfeel is fine, nothing objectionable at all. It's not outstanding, but good. Overall, it's not a bad deal and I like to support local breweries, but I can't recommend it unfortunately.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

A- Brownish, maybe a reddish brown. Decent amount of head.
S- malty, spicy, sweet smelling. Not a very strong smelling beer though.
T- Somewhat malty, with spices and a rich finish. Not an overpoweringly strong tasting beer; but smooth and very pleasant tasting.
M- Pretty light, but enjoyable. Medium carbonation, taste does not linger too long.

Overall: Great beer. This is a nice one to always have a 6 pack around the house because I find women and men who are not fans of hoppy or very strong beers like it.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Light reddish-brown body. small white head fades rapidly

Smells a lot like a brown, slightly nutty, and sweet. Not hoppy at all

Taste is fleeting. Toasty, only slight sweetness, something slightly funky maybe the esters.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin and dry. No alcohol presence

Flavor seems to be to style but not really enjoyable. Aroma is lacking any sort of hoppiness. Overall not a fan of this beer although it still gets style points.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Murky Ruby Amber color, barely any head, misty sporadic residue remains sparsely covering the top
3.5

S: Over all very faint but light, funky, possibly slightly tart. Smells like a Belgian pale ale. Hunting in the nose reveals some very faint spices, then possibly some light solid fruits underneath. I’m getting some apple and pear.
3.0

T: Quite welcoming. Stronger spice flavor but still very, very refined and balanced. A perfect pinch of a splash of tart funk. Fuller body than the nose let on. More fruit flavor too but still predictable from and keeping with the smell.

M: The mouthfeel is full and thin at the same time. It’s full initially but leaves little to no finish. Very easy and enjoyable to drink.
4.5

O: I really like this beer and will probably start drinking it regularly. This is my kind of light beer.
4.5

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A. Light copper color, semi-opaque with some head and lacing. Solid Sediment.
S. Beautiful toasted nut scent.
T. Very nice rye taste to it. Light, but has a nice vegetable taste. Smooth and refreshing.
M. Very smooth on the tongue.
D. Not to astringent. Very nice balance to it. Well done all around.

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%

Bottle says best by 18 Aug 2011.

Pours a fairly deep, coppery amber, and clear, with a thin whitish head that recedes pretty slowly, leaving nice sticky lacing.

Smell is nicely sweet, dominated by caramel malts and light fruit. I get a bit of spice, and no hops at all. Smells a bit bland, actually.

Taste is, well, pretty bland. Gentle toasted malts, a touch of bitterness that comes in in the middle and carries on through the finish. But it really doesn't taste like much. I get no fruits, very little hops, no spice, no alcohol. I'm quite shocked at how bland it is. Did I get a bad bottle?

Medium-bodied, with rather light carbonation.

I found this beer to be very dull. Not much flavor to it at all. Disappointed in it, and do not plan on drinking it again, unless someone can convince me it's a lot better than this bottle I had. Thinking maybe I was drinking it too cold, I let it warm up. But then it tasted worse (stronger, but more unpleasant, flavors). Down the drain it goes.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a frosted mug.

A - Pours with an amber body and an off-white head. As the head dissolves, a bubbly ring laces the outside with minimal foam on the inside of the ring.

S - Fruity yeast, bread, light malt, and spice.

T - Taste is has nice complexity with hints of pear, coffee, and apples. It also has a lightly hoppy and bitter finish.

M - Medium amount of carbonation, with a light-medium body. A little bit dry on the finish.

O - Great drinkability. Good beer. Nothing special about it. It has a good taste for a good price. I'd buy it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company