1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Domaine DuPage French Style Country AleDomaine DuPage French Style Country Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,005 | Reviews: 471 | Show All Ratings:
chuckm

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

not overly heavy but still has a strong body. A beer I first had at a Leonas restaurant here in Chicago and was impressed by its ability to to hold its own with Italian food. I don't know what a French country style ale should be but this is darn good

03-20-2008 05:37:45 | More by chuckm
zebulon

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Have had this twice the first time was at 40-50 degF; the second time was at 60 degF and with dinner.

Color was a golden amber, with a rich off white head that tasted creamy, but died down from 1+" to 1/4" fairly quickly.

Mild malty sweet aroma.

The primary taste was bitter hops (vs west coast floral hops) balanced somewhat by slightly carmally malt. Dry tasting and a good compliment to my dinner (brisket roast in a slightly sweet and sour sauce). Could not pick up the fruit overtones that other have described. This not my favorite style and I may be trying to be too fair in rating it.

Medium body and very drinkable with a meal.

04-09-2007 01:17:24 | More by zebulon
RTrain12

3.8/5  rDev 0%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a amber brown in color. Small head faded away quickly. Slight lacing.

S: After it warmed up it was easier to smell. Smelled of caramel, dark fruit, and sweet malt.

T: Taste of caramel wright away. Little bit of a sweet malt tatse and dark fruit. A clean hop finish!

M: Thin body. Hardley any carbonation.

D: Very good drinkabilty. I've heard good things about this and they were wright! I'm glad I finally picked it up and gave it a try. I would recommend this beer!

03-12-2010 22:02:49 | More by RTrain12
alehopman

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Spot on amber in color. Two finger, persistent head. Massive lacing. Fine beaded, medium carbonation.

Smell: A lot going on here. Very yeasty, sweet caramel malt and a touch of noble hop (something like Golding/Hallertauer/Saaz etc).

Taste: Very sweet/malty/bready. Great malt/hop balance. Finish is in form of nice lingering hop bitterness.

Mouth Feel: Full bodied, somewhat cloying.

Drinkability: At 5.9% abv, this is not quite a session ale but on a given night would be tempted to try more than a few of these, however.

Overall: If this is what they serve in the French countryside, l wouldn't mind spending some time there.

12-13-2012 14:47:35 | More by alehopman
fdw3

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark amber with a small off-white head that retains nicely and leaves a good amount of lacing. Smells amazing with a combination of caramel malt, molasses, honey, sweet fruit, and just a bit of flowery hops. Taste delivers on the promising smell and is extremely well-balanced; sweet flavors of malt and thick honey fade into some earthy hops with a good combination of bitterness and alcohol. Mouthfeel is smooth and just a bit syrupy with significant body and moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer; the malt character is dominant but the sweetness is not overpowering; taste is complex. I could only do a couple at once but I would enjoy every sip. Loved it!

02-15-2011 00:01:08 | More by fdw3
dnjmed

Redish amber color. I got a nice head on this one but it doesn't stick around long.

Bready malt almost like a pie dough. caramel.

Toffee malts with some caramel at the end.

This beer is smooth. I'd say less than medium bodied.

It's not something I would get too excited about in the future but I can appreciate its quality and can understand why someone else might love it.

12-23-2009 18:47:24 | More by dnjmed
BellsFan

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance = It poured from a twelve ounce bottle with a small head that quickly dissipated without leaving any lacing on the glass.

Smell = It has a rich caramel nose that is pleasant

Taste = the taste is also rich in caramel that seems too strong at first but then quickly dissipates leaving a nice finish. A toasted caramel is also evident.

Mouthfeel = adequate carbonation in conjunction with the thick caramel almost balance each other.

Drinkability = this is an easy drinker but not quite a session beer because of the thick caramel taste and mouth feel.

Overall I like it and would purchase another sixer.

04-05-2009 01:48:20 | More by BellsFan
MarvinTheMarzen

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

A very pleasant surprise from Two Brothers (and my buddy Jim B for setting me up). I've had mixed luck with the Biere du garde style but this one is a winner. Pours a luxurious brown with a slight head; the aroma and taste is delicious with a notable hint of caramel. Very drinkable at 5.9% - very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop. It's on my shopping list...

Edit 3-24-2012: Tried this again and ws not as impressed as in 2011. It was still good but didn't make as big an impression as last time. Not sure if this is due to variability in the brewing or an artifact of the style - biere du gardes have been quite variable in my experience.

01-09-2011 02:23:40 | More by MarvinTheMarzen
RustythePelican

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass with virtually no head. Color is a brilliant red/brown/amber with bubbling carbonation. This smells of green bananas and under-ripe peaches, with some breadiness lingering throughout. Taste features strong fruit esters with a very bitter finish (almost too bitter for my palate, although this may be standard for a Biere de Garde - I'll have to try a few more).

I rated this low on drinkability because of the bitter finish. This drinks like a bigger beer than it is. Recommended, but not an everyday beer.

12-13-2006 15:19:21 | More by RustythePelican
rasta16ry

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

My buddy picked this up and we drank it while watching "In Bruges", a pretty good movie.

Poured it into a stemless wine glass, and it poured an amber-type color with a small head on it. The smell was pretty nice, a little fruity but mild and malty. Definitely not too strong-smelling.

The best thing I felt about this beer was that it was very drinkable. That being said, it was very mild and not too complex. The flavors were there, especially some yeast and spice, but overall the mouthfeel was a little light in the loafers and it was not especially earthy - the bitterness at the end was the more prominent. More than anything I was just expecting a stronger flavor of malt and earth in the beer, and it wasn't really there. Drinkable and perhaps a good session beer, but not something I would go out of my way to get again.

I hesitate to say this was a bad beer, because it definitely wasn't. In fact, the more I think about it the more understated its qualities actually were, which maybe makes it a better drink. However there are just other bières de garde that I'd rather have.

02-17-2009 00:05:59 | More by rasta16ry
RHCP313

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured at fridge temperature from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint. Bottle dating reads: Best by 12/7/11.

A: Pours a clear brightly filtered, but burnt orange garnet color. Brighter than I expected. A thick tan head builds to about two fingers and recedes to a creamy, but thin-sitting crown of tan head. A nice looking beer. Looks like some good thick lacing.

S: A quick sour funk up front, followed by ripe figs with some fruity yeast in back. Buiscuity, with a bit of spice would make this a great Autumn beer. I wouldn't say it smells 'delicious' per se, but for the style it seems appropriate.

T: Starts a little thin up front but develops some creamy malt and bready, buiscuity notes. There is some funky yeast that works with subtle dry raisin and minor spicy flavor. Hops take a second seat to the bready malts here.

M: Oddly refreshing. Medium body with nice, consistent carbonation let the flavors work to the back of my palate. A bit creamy up front and in the middle and finishes with clean flavor.

O: This is a beer I expected to drink like a heavier Autumn brew, but had some thinner properties that made it more sessionable than I expected. I like the combination of earthy malt but I was missing the stronger lingering, robust flavors of the style. A well done beer that was very easy to drink with nice flavors, but they were a bit thinned out.

08-04-2011 02:10:42 | More by RHCP313
mikes2923

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours with a dark ambery/coppery color, with some strong foam and respectable amount of laceing. Can't tell a lot from the smell.. but the taste is very smooth, with (as everyone else has pointed out) a slight caramel hint in the taste. Not much carbonation, more of a creamy ale. Overall an excellent brew that goes down very smoothly. It's nice to promote a local brewer and when they are this good it's easy to do!

12-04-2003 02:36:29 | More by mikes2923
mjc3151

4.29/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - very clear, solid brown color, slight head

S - kinda smells like it's been aged in oak barrels, a bit roasted also

T - malty taste but not too over the top, perfect blend of hops and malts

M - slight carbonation, smooth

O - How many French country ales have you had? There is nothing quite like it. You must try this.

04-18-2013 01:04:30 | More by mjc3151
Throckmorton

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Frankly, I wasn't expecting much. I was wrong.

A - nice warm brown that still lets light pass, attractive. decent head that laced down the side as I drank.

S - nose isn't strong, but mostly carmel and malty.

T - carmel and nut without being too sweet.

M - substantial, but not in any way heavy.

D - high. this isn't a one-and-done.

08-22-2009 16:50:26 | More by Throckmorton
longdivision

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Had on tap at Isaac's in Newtown.

A - An opaque, ruby burnt orange. Steady lacing throughout.

S - sweet, malty, with hints of sugar cane. flemish yeast.

T - Sweet up front but smoothes out to a yeasty almost tart/tang. Reminds me of Duchesse de Bourgone, belgian sour ale, without the sour part.

M - Pleasantly medium with a dry finish.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer as I had no idea what to expect. Unique and had me coming back for more. I'm going to look for this at my local store. Try one.

10-06-2009 01:34:09 | More by longdivision
ratrod53

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A- It's a cloudy nice dark copper brownish color. It has a nice head that stick around for a bit and leaves some lacing.

S- It's a grainy toast smell with a hint of earth hops and spice and it's a little sweat.

T- It's a smooth beer with a good malt body. It's got a little bit of hops in it with some grain. I got a little bit of alcohol taste. It finishes with a nice fruity sweat taste.

M- It's got good carbonation with a creamy body.

D- It's a really easy beer to drink and to start the night off.

12-28-2010 01:19:21 | More by ratrod53
Kongquistador

4.18/5  rDev +10%

I haven't been a huge fan of the other Two Brothers beer I tried, the Northwind Imperial Stout, but this is a far superior beer, and merits consideration, should you find it. With luck they will continue to produce it, although it claims to be a limited run.

Pours a nice reddish hue, just fading to yellow around the edges. Forms a very respectable head on a vigorous pour, which held form well with some large-ish bubbles. Head is slightly yellowish. Smell is not overpowering, mostly a citrus note.

Taste begins with a moderate citrus on the tip of the tounge, and moves onto the middle of the tounge with what others have described as an earthy taste. I'm not sure I want the term earthy, but it is hard to find the right word for the pleasant but very mild sensation as the beer swirls around your mouth. Finish is hoppy, but also in a moderated way, and nicely balances against the other flavors without overpowering. The hops have distinctly grassy note, which conjures the image of a small chateau in the rolling wheat fields.

This is a superbly balanced beer. I didn't like it much when I had my first, but I came back the next day for a review, and found that it has grown on me immensly. The subtle combination of flavors at each stage of the drink makes it worth returning to, as I will, many times with luck.

[Edit 11/03] I've had mixed luck with this beer. Some are quite good, and others seem to have gone off. It varies bottle to bottle, but in the 12 I had, 2 were yeasty and poor.

07-28-2003 04:41:35 | More by Kongquistador
hopjuicer

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

12 oz bottle poured in a tulip glass.

Color is a reddish slightly cloudy copper. Good foamy head, that doesn't stay especially long.

Nose is sweet, smell of cherries and apple juice with a little grain.

Taste is a balance of tart and grain. Sweetness with a subtle flavor of molasses.

This was one of my early introductions to good beer. Drove about an hour and a half to the brewery from my college to get a pencil keg of Domain DuPage.

09-30-2010 20:22:13 | More by hopjuicer
moester13

Nebraska

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A rich honeyorange beer with a decent white head and very lively body. Smells of oranges, and a bit like copper. Hops come through with a good sniff.
Starts of fruity, citrusy and sweet with a clean finish. Hints of ginger and clove spice. More hoppy than the aroma suggests, really refreshing. Surprising mouthfeel, thick and creamy.
Very drinkable, excellent for summertime

04-05-2011 18:10:31 | More by moester13
Philly82785

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a clear golden-brown, with a creamy off-white cap. The nose is rather subtle with yeast and slightly toasted malt come out alongside hints of apple and pear. A very crisp balanced finish. It says on the palate then slowly dissipates. Thanks Heritage Liquor!

12-18-2008 17:13:58 | More by Philly82785
CheeseTurds

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

The first whiff was fruit/herby kinda like some potpourri my mom used to make, but these aromas weren't overwhelming...it just reminded me of it. The taste is a little tangy but certainly drinkable. Color, head, carbonation are all very pleasing. I realized that this isn't a style I'm very familiar with. I'm not sure I've had anything like it before. It's definitely a style I could stick with for an entire evening of drinking.

oh yeah...the bottle had a "Best By" date of 3 weeks before I drank it. Didn't really seem "off" tasting to me, though.

02-13-2009 06:09:59 | More by CheeseTurds
TripT

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hard pour into a standard pint glass produced a half inch off-white head that faded into a ring pretty quickly. Appearance: Redish orange and a little hazy. Not much aroma at first, but after warming up it has a nice sweet malty nose with a little butterscotch or caramel. Taste reflects the smell with the addition of a fairly prominent alcohol taste and some slight hop bitterness at the end. Very tasty. I would say not complex at all, but that's no slam. As others have said, it has a creamy mouthfeel that complements the flavor. The sweetness may wear on some, but I like some sweet beers and this one is pretty drinkable. I also love the fact that for me this is a local beer.

05-21-2010 23:02:38 | More by TripT
kevinconroy

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -51.8%

This beer is awful. It claims to be a french style country ale. If a French style country ale means brown ale, then yes this is a french style country ale.

This brewery obviously did no research on true authentic biere de garde. I was expecting to get a little sour, a little sweet, reddish hue in color beer. This beer just turned out to be a bellow average brown ale at best. It tasted like a glorified newcastle.

Next time why don't you try a french style country ale before you try and make one because if i did know any better this brewery just puts what ever they feel like on their labels. This is the second beer I have had from two brothers and will most certainly be my last.

08-18-2011 15:40:13 | More by kevinconroy
x63x77

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Light red amber color, clear, soft beige head dissipates slowly leaving a very small amount of lacing

Smell: Nice yeasty nose with the slightest bite and freshness of hops

Taste: Wonderful sweet hoppyness on the front of the palette, a comforting, warm maltiness, followed by a clean mild finish

Mouth Feel: Smooth, higher than expected level of carbonation, a bit more watery than I would have liked

Drinkability: Excellent beer, not filling or overwhelming.

12-30-2009 08:18:10 | More by x63x77
justiceavocado

2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

Enjoyed on a quiet Friday afternoon. The bottle has apparently been redesigned, but it is the same "food-friendly ale" as pictured on this site. Label stamped, "BEST BY 6/15/11."

L - About an eighth of an inch of off-white head, doesn't quite dissipate after about two minutes, leaving a film on top of the beer. Hazy copper-brown color, with obvious carbonation continuing to rise for minutes after the pour. Little chunks of yeast swimming around in there like yummy minnows.

A - Sweet plum overwhelmed by wood and bread. The faintest whisper of hops floats just beyond all that, not quite out of reach of the senses.

M - Moderate to medium body, good carbonation. And by "good," I mean present enough to tickle the tongue but not so strong as to clamber up into the nose. It leaves a kind of film-y feeling after going down, like rubbing your finger on rubber. I'm not educated enough to know why, but I wish it didn't.

T - Follows the smell diligently. A small point of sweetness hits at first, if not plum certainly prune and raisin, followed by fresh bread and biscuit washing the mouth while a tiny bit of bitterness shines from the back of the tongue. Major points for the restraint shown in the hop presence - just enough to be refreshing. Throughout, the yeast is very present, both in taste and in mouthfeel. One could even say the yeast is an 'atmosphere' with this beer.

That said, the taste is weak, almost a background to the mouthfeel. Drinking it is like listening to a good band with the volume down. I like what I hear, but...what exactly are they saying?

D - Pretty decent. I wonder what this would be like with food for two reasons: 1) the rubber-rubbing after-feel might disappear with a meal, and 2) the taste might seem even weaker than it does here (and I haven't eaten for about three hours). At 5.9%, it could be a good one with which to begin an evening of moderate debauchery (as opposed to heavy or even wild debauchery, obviously). I would buy it again, but only after its next release to see how it changes.

04-08-2011 21:27:58 | More by justiceavocado