Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 05-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,337 | Reviews: 504
3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Best by date of 1/29/12.

Appearance: Poured a burnt orange/copper color. Had a nice had that was slightly off white and little lacing. Kind of foggy.

Smell: Fruity apple smell. I get the sweetness of apple cider. Caramel as well.

Taste: Strong fruit flavor, similar to the smell. Sweet aftertaste. I also get a hint of dark fruits like raisin and spices.

Mouthfeel: Slight crispness in the beginning that sites well. It is smooth and finishes that way. There is the slight sweetness at the end that lingers.

Overall: This is a good beer that is easy to drink. It is a little too sweet for what I enjoy. I like the relatively mild carbonation and smoothness. I also like the rustic fell to it as well.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap at The Black Sparrow in Lafayette, IN

Color/Appearance: a VERY clear medium red/amber. Little to no head - white in color and quickly dissipating leaving some lace behind.

Scent is a mild roasty malt scent with rich caramel notes.

Alcoholly-toased almond to amid-caramel roasted taste. Shifts as warms to lemony hops and a dry lemon finish. Moderately carbonated.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a tulip; amber/mahogany with a minimal head that dissipated quickly.
Sweet malty notes and a hints of plums but subdued, perhaps cocoa in the background.
Nice yeasty and malt flavors with a tart follow up. I was unsure of this on first pour but its drinkability and balance has won me over.

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap at Two Brothers Tap House 03/28/09

A: Served in a tulip glass. Amber with reddish hues. Very faint, off-white head about 1/8 inch tall that did not stick around at all. Didn't notice much carbonation.

S: Very sweet, some caramel malt presence. A bit of mulled orange character with a faint spicy nose. Some alcohol and a very faint toasted grain character.

T: Difficult to describe because it seemed like there was quite a bit going on. Some syrupy sweetness, a caramel and toasted malt character that left a little bit of a nutty character on my tounge. Almost cloyingly sweet to my palate, previous beer was a Wit, but thi actually paired very well with my dinner. I'd try this again, but wasn't super impressed with it.

D: I'm surprised this is only a 6% beer. Seemed to have a bit more alcoholic character to it. Paired with a burger or nice sandwich, this was an excellent beer. I found it to malty sweet, but this may be good on hot summer day.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Visual: Poured into pint glass. Amber in color with a one finger head.

Aroma: Canned peas and toast in the nose.

Taste: The smell of peas really brougtht out a pea taste in my mouth that was really not that pleasant. The peas were followed by the toast (well done toast but not burnt), which was comlemented by hints of honey and alcohol. Bit of hops at the end finishes the taste.

Body: medium

Drunkability: Really wouldn't want to drink this beer unless I was eating a meal. The taste alone isn't desirable but the toasted malts would really complement a diverse range of foods.

2.99/5  rDev -21.5%

It's ok. Nothing special normal beer

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Good drinkable beer. No complaints with this beer.

Good gold with slight amber color. Very light carbonated head quickly fizzles to a solid rim around the glass.

Pretty good malt smell, but I'm not picking up much else.

Slightly sweet caramel, but with a strong malty flavor throughout.

Good light feeling, but still with a full mouth feel with a smooth dry finish.

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

Two Brothers is a reliable Illinois brewery that seems to really succeed with hops. Domaine DuPage, a French-style country ale, is a more malt based offering. Flat copper color, quickly fading toasted marshmallow head. Aroma is vaguely fruity, at times strawberry and at times grape. Nice bitterness in sip, followed by malty caress in mouthfeel. Smooth.

Redish amber color. I got a nice head on this one but it doesn't stick around long.

Bready malt almost like a pie dough. caramel.

Toffee malts with some caramel at the end.

This beer is smooth. I'd say less than medium bodied.

It's not something I would get too excited about in the future but I can appreciate its quality and can understand why someone else might love it.

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a chilled pint glass Nice copper color, not much head. This farmhouse ale has a very satisfying taste. I like it.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

A- It's a cloudy nice dark copper brownish color. It has a nice head that stick around for a bit and leaves some lacing.

S- It's a grainy toast smell with a hint of earth hops and spice and it's a little sweat.

T- It's a smooth beer with a good malt body. It's got a little bit of hops in it with some grain. I got a little bit of alcohol taste. It finishes with a nice fruity sweat taste.

M- It's got good carbonation with a creamy body.

D- It's a really easy beer to drink and to start the night off.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A - Lovely deep coppery color, pleasantly cloudy, with a medium-full head that settled fairly quickly into a thing film over the top, with some unven lacing.

S - Wonderful caramel aroma, light fruit as well. I'm thinking dried cherries. Almost no hop aroma whatsoever.

T - Full maltiness, with the caramel payoff I expected from the smell. A nice bitterness on the end that stays on the palate. A nice light warmth from the alcohol as it fades. Perfectly balanced for the style, IMHO.

M - A sexy, silky mouthfeel which lingers and stays on the tongue for just the right amount of time.

D - Incredibly drinkable. I feel like another one immediately following the first, and given the full body and flavor, impressively thirst quenching.

I'm a huge fan of this style, and this example doesn't disappoint.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just picked up a six pack not twenty minutes ago. It's not at all what I expected in a biere de garde but, surprise, it's better than I expected--even if I wanted more flavor from the yeast and French hops. I'd write in detail, but company just dropped by! And I'm gonna push a beer on them ...

What a nice ale. Dark amber color, smooth clean flavor on the palate. Mild caramel flavor and nice lace on the edge of the glass.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

not overly heavy but still has a strong body. A beer I first had at a Leonas restaurant here in Chicago and was impressed by its ability to to hold its own with Italian food. I don't know what a French country style ale should be but this is darn good

4.74/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A light amber beer with incredible amounts of flavors - all well balanced. I was surprised at the myriad of flavors, from spices to fruits to caramel, but it all works so well. And, somehow, the beer goes down easy and is very light. It is a sweet beer, but nothing over the top. All in all, this is a great beer for sitting around a porch, chatting, and just having a high quality crafted beer.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Spot on amber in color. Two finger, persistent head. Massive lacing. Fine beaded, medium carbonation.

Smell: A lot going on here. Very yeasty, sweet caramel malt and a touch of noble hop (something like Golding/Hallertauer/Saaz etc).

Taste: Very sweet/malty/bready. Great malt/hop balance. Finish is in form of nice lingering hop bitterness.

Mouth Feel: Full bodied, somewhat cloying.

Drinkability: At 5.9% abv, this is not quite a session ale but on a given night would be tempted to try more than a few of these, however.

Overall: If this is what they serve in the French countryside, l wouldn't mind spending some time there.

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%

Have had this twice the first time was at 40-50 degF; the second time was at 60 degF and with dinner.

Color was a golden amber, with a rich off white head that tasted creamy, but died down from 1+" to 1/4" fairly quickly.

Mild malty sweet aroma.

The primary taste was bitter hops (vs west coast floral hops) balanced somewhat by slightly carmally malt. Dry tasting and a good compliment to my dinner (brisket roast in a slightly sweet and sour sauce). Could not pick up the fruit overtones that other have described. This not my favorite style and I may be trying to be too fair in rating it.

Medium body and very drinkable with a meal.

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark amber with a small off-white head that retains nicely and leaves a good amount of lacing. Smells amazing with a combination of caramel malt, molasses, honey, sweet fruit, and just a bit of flowery hops. Taste delivers on the promising smell and is extremely well-balanced; sweet flavors of malt and thick honey fade into some earthy hops with a good combination of bitterness and alcohol. Mouthfeel is smooth and just a bit syrupy with significant body and moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer; the malt character is dominant but the sweetness is not overpowering; taste is complex. I could only do a couple at once but I would enjoy every sip. Loved it!

3.36/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured at fridge temperature from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint. Bottle dating reads: Best by 12/7/11.

A: Pours a clear brightly filtered, but burnt orange garnet color. Brighter than I expected. A thick tan head builds to about two fingers and recedes to a creamy, but thin-sitting crown of tan head. A nice looking beer. Looks like some good thick lacing.

S: A quick sour funk up front, followed by ripe figs with some fruity yeast in back. Buiscuity, with a bit of spice would make this a great Autumn beer. I wouldn't say it smells 'delicious' per se, but for the style it seems appropriate.

T: Starts a little thin up front but develops some creamy malt and bready, buiscuity notes. There is some funky yeast that works with subtle dry raisin and minor spicy flavor. Hops take a second seat to the bready malts here.

M: Oddly refreshing. Medium body with nice, consistent carbonation let the flavors work to the back of my palate. A bit creamy up front and in the middle and finishes with clean flavor.

O: This is a beer I expected to drink like a heavier Autumn brew, but had some thinner properties that made it more sessionable than I expected. I like the combination of earthy malt but I was missing the stronger lingering, robust flavors of the style. A well done beer that was very easy to drink with nice flavors, but they were a bit thinned out.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

My brother turned me on to this beer. It's a nice medium bodied beer with a lot going on.
Pours an opaque orangy honey color with a thin white cap.
Nice low carbonation mouth feel, smooth caramel with sweetness, pears, grass, cotton candy? moves to some hops that give a good clean finish.
This is a impressive beer. I recommend this one for sure.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass with virtually no head. Color is a brilliant red/brown/amber with bubbling carbonation. This smells of green bananas and under-ripe peaches, with some breadiness lingering throughout. Taste features strong fruit esters with a very bitter finish (almost too bitter for my palate, although this may be standard for a Biere de Garde - I'll have to try a few more).

I rated this low on drinkability because of the bitter finish. This drinks like a bigger beer than it is. Recommended, but not an everyday beer.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

My buddy picked this up and we drank it while watching "In Bruges", a pretty good movie.

Poured it into a stemless wine glass, and it poured an amber-type color with a small head on it. The smell was pretty nice, a little fruity but mild and malty. Definitely not too strong-smelling.

The best thing I felt about this beer was that it was very drinkable. That being said, it was very mild and not too complex. The flavors were there, especially some yeast and spice, but overall the mouthfeel was a little light in the loafers and it was not especially earthy - the bitterness at the end was the more prominent. More than anything I was just expecting a stronger flavor of malt and earth in the beer, and it wasn't really there. Drinkable and perhaps a good session beer, but not something I would go out of my way to get again.

I hesitate to say this was a bad beer, because it definitely wasn't. In fact, the more I think about it the more understated its qualities actually were, which maybe makes it a better drink. However there are just other bières de garde that I'd rather have.

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours with a dark ambery/coppery color, with some strong foam and respectable amount of laceing. Can't tell a lot from the smell.. but the taste is very smooth, with (as everyone else has pointed out) a slight caramel hint in the taste. Not much carbonation, more of a creamy ale. Overall an excellent brew that goes down very smoothly. It's nice to promote a local brewer and when they are this good it's easy to do!

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Had on tap at Isaac's in Newtown.

A - An opaque, ruby burnt orange. Steady lacing throughout.

S - sweet, malty, with hints of sugar cane. flemish yeast.

T - Sweet up front but smoothes out to a yeasty almost tart/tang. Reminds me of Duchesse de Bourgone, belgian sour ale, without the sour part.

M - Pleasantly medium with a dry finish.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer as I had no idea what to expect. Unique and had me coming back for more. I'm going to look for this at my local store. Try one.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company