Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

pDev: 11%
Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

(Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

03/04/14 Just a taste...but I had to make note. This goes into the WWTT file (What Were They Thinking). I should start by confessing to not being a big hops fan, but the effrontery of the rye negates any nuances. I'm not big on slamming a beer but I'm leaving this 'message in a bottle' so I don't ever get caught up in the mystery of the name of this brew again. Might be rye-ght for some...but I'm not that guy.

2.25/5  rDev -45%

Thanks to jamnescameron for including this as an extra in the Blind Bomber BIF. This was a big want of mine I can now cross off. Thanks man. Included in the package was a Two Brothers branded American pint glass. It only seemed logical to pair the beer with the glass.

The beer pours a deep ruby-orange with a light nutmeg highlighted head covering about three fingers worth of space. Copious lacing make this look really good!

The smell could be better. Muted tropical hops and sweet malts need some work.

Taste is sweet weak brewed tea, metal, charred caramel malt, and more fusel alcohol than what is listed on the label.

Mouthfeel is lightly sticky with very soft carbonation.

Drinkability depends on "do I want another"? I don't really want another one unless its much fresher. Notice u didn't mention anything about any rye characteristics. That's because I didn't get any. I think I'm going to leave this on my wants list for now and re-review it in the future. I do have the appropriate glassware after all. Of course, it might be unfair that I am mentally comparing it to 2 week old Red's Rye P.A. That beer was phenomenal. I don't think this beer can possibly rival one of Founders best, but I do think bottle date might make a difference.

2.55/5  rDev -37.7%

Allow me to preface saying that Hop Juice is one of my favorite beers I have ever had and I love Bell's Hopslam, and I am no stranger to hops...

Appearance: Pours an amber/red with a heavy head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Heavy hops, that is about all I can smell. Probably Simcoe or Columbus.

Taste: I like IPA's, I really do, but this is just not doing it for me. I know it is a rye beer, but I have not had another rye to compare. This just tastes like it has very little balance besides just heavy hops. I get sweetness on the tip of my tongue, but in the short time it takes to get to the back everything is overwhelmed by hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin, tastes undercarbonated, possibly the reason for the overwhelming hops.

Overall: If you want hops with no balance, here is your beer. I like hops, but I cannot find one bit of sweetness or redeeming taste to allow anything but hops to be tasted in this beer.

2.55/5  rDev -37.7%

I was very excited to try this beer. Hopped up Rye Ale sounds right up my alley as Founder's Red's Rye is my absolute go-to beer.

The apperance was average. Reddish-brown with a thin white head. The smell was ALL Rye malt. Very distinct, almost no hop aroma. Smells bready and sweet. The taste is super malty. Tons of rye malt. Little hop flavor but enough to add some balance but the beer is definitely a malt bomb. Big beer. Heavy mouthfeel that doesn't really work with the rest of the beer. Little carbonation. Not very good, it's really a mess.

I didn't really care for this at all. I actually poured out half of the bottle. Skip it.

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Received in a trade from SPLITGRIN?

Dark amber colored beer with a mostly white head. Looks pretty creamy. Generous lacing.

Aroma was extremely sweet. Hoppy and sweet. I detect a hit of Rye but mostly, this one is sweet and alcoholic. Plenty of maltiness.

Sweet tasting. Hop bitterness smacks the toungue at the end. Caramel maltiness. Rye comes around at the end as well.

Not bad. Medium bodied. Sticky sweet on the toungue and teeth, yet dry finishing as well. Kind of weird. This one was way too sweet for me. There was a nice hop bitterness at the back but way too much sweetness up front. Not a fan of this one.

2.78/5  rDev -32%

This is the second time trying Cane & Ebel. Haven't been impressed either time.

Cane & Ebel gets off to a slow start. It pours a dark, very dark, copper red. Head hangs around for a few seconds before disappearing into nothingness. Lacing is non-existent.

Very sweet, malty, and a bit of rye in the nose. No hops at all here. The same can be said about the taste. Sweet tasting with a hint of hops and rye on the end. This bottle is still in date, so I'm a little confused as to where all the hops have gone. Perhaps it's the Thai Palm sugar that I'm not liking, but this is way to sweet to be considered a hopped up red ale.

Mouthfeel is thin and this beer feels a bit under carbonated. Won't be having anymore of these thanks. I'll stick to Founders & Terrapin for my red ale needs.

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

Got this in a mix 12 pack and not sure I will drink the other one. Just not impressed. The sugar cane after taste is just too much. Very sweet, not a fan but always worth trying something different. Never had a beer made with Thai Palm sugar. Oh well.

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance - Pours an extremely dark brownish-amber color with an inch thick, creamy tan head that lingers for a couple minutes. Leaves a nice, creamy lacing as well.

Smell - The sweetness of the palm sugar comes through lightly, with a dominant aroma of rye.

Taste - The spiciness of the rye masks most of the other flavors.. There is a toasty/smoky flavor as well but I think that might be from the rye? The sweetness from the sugar tastes pretty nice.. And the bottle is right about having the wackiest hops. I can detect some pine hops, along with some other earthy and floral hops. Has a strong bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Has a creamy body with medium carbonation.

Overall - This is the first rye beer I've ever tried. I am not pleased.. lol. To me, this basically just tastes like a nasty IPA, with rye added.

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

We got destroyed at Quizzo tonight, so hopefully this is enough to make me feel a bit better. It pours a clear ruby topped by a finger of glowing dirty white foam and exhibiting a decent amount of matter floating about within. The nose comprises orange peel, onion, toasted rye bread, black pepper, and dark toffee. The taste holds notes of soil, orange rind, light mandarin orange, potato skin, grass, and a touch of toffee. I winced a bit whilst drinking this. The body is a barely-light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I was not much of a fan of this at all, really. The flavors don't do anything all that great for me, and the smell comes kinda close to offensive. I can see how this could actually be a lot worse, but that doesn't make it very good.

Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company