2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Cane & EbelCane & Ebel

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,230 | Reviews: 595 | Show All Ratings:
hopsbreath

Oregon

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

Thanks to jamnescameron for including this as an extra in the Blind Bomber BIF. This was a big want of mine I can now cross off. Thanks man. Included in the package was a Two Brothers branded American pint glass. It only seemed logical to pair the beer with the glass.

The beer pours a deep ruby-orange with a light nutmeg highlighted head covering about three fingers worth of space. Copious lacing make this look really good!

The smell could be better. Muted tropical hops and sweet malts need some work.

Taste is sweet weak brewed tea, metal, charred caramel malt, and more fusel alcohol than what is listed on the label.

Mouthfeel is lightly sticky with very soft carbonation.

Drinkability depends on "do I want another"? I don't really want another one unless its much fresher. Notice u didn't mention anything about any rye characteristics. That's because I didn't get any. I think I'm going to leave this on my wants list for now and re-review it in the future. I do have the appropriate glassware after all. Of course, it might be unfair that I am mentally comparing it to 2 week old Red's Rye P.A. That beer was phenomenal. I don't think this beer can possibly rival one of Founders best, but I do think bottle date might make a difference.

09-15-2010 16:07:04 | More by hopsbreath
Brew33

2.55/5  rDev -37.8%

I was very excited to try this beer. Hopped up Rye Ale sounds right up my alley as Founder's Red's Rye is my absolute go-to beer.

The apperance was average. Reddish-brown with a thin white head. The smell was ALL Rye malt. Very distinct, almost no hop aroma. Smells bready and sweet. The taste is super malty. Tons of rye malt. Little hop flavor but enough to add some balance but the beer is definitely a malt bomb. Big beer. Heavy mouthfeel that doesn't really work with the rest of the beer. Little carbonation. Not very good, it's really a mess.

I didn't really care for this at all. I actually poured out half of the bottle. Skip it.

07-12-2010 15:20:32 | More by Brew33
JCrazy84

2.55/5  rDev -37.8%

Allow me to preface saying that Hop Juice is one of my favorite beers I have ever had and I love Bell's Hopslam, and I am no stranger to hops...

Appearance: Pours an amber/red with a heavy head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Heavy hops, that is about all I can smell. Probably Simcoe or Columbus.

Taste: I like IPA's, I really do, but this is just not doing it for me. I know it is a rye beer, but I have not had another rye to compare. This just tastes like it has very little balance besides just heavy hops. I get sweetness on the tip of my tongue, but in the short time it takes to get to the back everything is overwhelmed by hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin, tastes undercarbonated, possibly the reason for the overwhelming hops.

Overall: If you want hops with no balance, here is your beer. I like hops, but I cannot find one bit of sweetness or redeeming taste to allow anything but hops to be tasted in this beer.

03-17-2012 22:58:46 | More by JCrazy84
SaCkErZ9

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Received in a trade from SPLITGRIN?

Dark amber colored beer with a mostly white head. Looks pretty creamy. Generous lacing.

Aroma was extremely sweet. Hoppy and sweet. I detect a hit of Rye but mostly, this one is sweet and alcoholic. Plenty of maltiness.

Sweet tasting. Hop bitterness smacks the toungue at the end. Caramel maltiness. Rye comes around at the end as well.

Not bad. Medium bodied. Sticky sweet on the toungue and teeth, yet dry finishing as well. Kind of weird. This one was way too sweet for me. There was a nice hop bitterness at the back but way too much sweetness up front. Not a fan of this one.

02-08-2008 20:07:05 | More by SaCkErZ9
RyanC84

South Carolina

2.78/5  rDev -32.2%

This is the second time trying Cane & Ebel. Haven't been impressed either time.

Cane & Ebel gets off to a slow start. It pours a dark, very dark, copper red. Head hangs around for a few seconds before disappearing into nothingness. Lacing is non-existent.

Very sweet, malty, and a bit of rye in the nose. No hops at all here. The same can be said about the taste. Sweet tasting with a hint of hops and rye on the end. This bottle is still in date, so I'm a little confused as to where all the hops have gone. Perhaps it's the Thai Palm sugar that I'm not liking, but this is way to sweet to be considered a hopped up red ale.

Mouthfeel is thin and this beer feels a bit under carbonated. Won't be having anymore of these thanks. I'll stick to Founders & Terrapin for my red ale needs.

09-04-2009 19:40:03 | More by RyanC84
Backer2004

2.8/5  rDev -31.7%

Got this in a mix 12 pack and not sure I will drink the other one. Just not impressed. The sugar cane after taste is just too much. Very sweet, not a fan but always worth trying something different. Never had a beer made with Thai Palm sugar. Oh well.

06-27-2009 00:04:45 | More by Backer2004
jsisko01

2.83/5  rDev -31%

Appearance - Pours an extremely dark brownish-amber color with an inch thick, creamy tan head that lingers for a couple minutes. Leaves a nice, creamy lacing as well.

Smell - The sweetness of the palm sugar comes through lightly, with a dominant aroma of rye.

Taste - The spiciness of the rye masks most of the other flavors.. There is a toasty/smoky flavor as well but I think that might be from the rye? The sweetness from the sugar tastes pretty nice.. And the bottle is right about having the wackiest hops. I can detect some pine hops, along with some other earthy and floral hops. Has a strong bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Has a creamy body with medium carbonation.

Overall - This is the first rye beer I've ever tried. I am not pleased.. lol. To me, this basically just tastes like a nasty IPA, with rye added.

01-01-2013 03:35:33 | More by jsisko01
TMoney2591

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

We got destroyed at Quizzo tonight, so hopefully this is enough to make me feel a bit better. It pours a clear ruby topped by a finger of glowing dirty white foam and exhibiting a decent amount of matter floating about within. The nose comprises orange peel, onion, toasted rye bread, black pepper, and dark toffee. The taste holds notes of soil, orange rind, light mandarin orange, potato skin, grass, and a touch of toffee. I winced a bit whilst drinking this. The body is a barely-light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I was not much of a fan of this at all, really. The flavors don't do anything all that great for me, and the smell comes kinda close to offensive. I can see how this could actually be a lot worse, but that doesn't make it very good.

04-28-2011 05:53:45 | More by TMoney2591
DavoleBomb

2.95/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Two Brothers sure has an interesting take on the color red. This is purplish black. One finger of frothy beige head. Retention is lacking, but a short ring of lacing is left.

4.0 S: This has a hell of a lot more hop character than rye, but in any case it smells great. Citrusy and floral hops. Just a touch of spicy earthy rye underneath. Toasty malts with minor caramel notes.

2.5 T: The taste is confused. Moderate, though out of place, hop bitterness that comes off in an almost burnt nature. Rye is much more apparent, but it doesn't work well with the hops. That isn't to say it can't. I've had rye IPAs that were delicious. A touch of roastiness, toast, and sugary caramel.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy, but lacking smoothness due to the perceived burnt flavors.

2.5 D: I think this would have worked better if they used less bittering hops. In any case, it's at least interesting.

12-15-2011 03:43:52 | More by DavoleBomb
younger35

3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

Just picked up a four pack of this from my local beer store. This will be my first offering from Two Brothers but everything they put out seems really interesting. Drank out of my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a very clear dark red with bits of orange around the edges. Decent half finger head is off-white and very creamy. Plenty of lacing is left down the side of the glass and a nice cap and collar stay almost the entire beer.
Smell- Very floral hoppiness with plenty of lilac and rose hips to go around. Lightly toasted malt and the palm sugar add a very brown sugary undertone. A nutty hazelnut aspect is present as well.
Taste- The bitterness isn't as pronounced as I was expecting but it's still the dominating characteristic. Mildly herbal with an almost minty hop kick that is semi spicy from the rye. The whole thing is a bit milder than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be more like Founders Red Rye. A light sweetness is present that really is noticeable in the aftertaste. Finishes with the same nuttiness that was present in the nose along with a persistent sweetness.
Mouthfeel- A bit to thin for my liking but it is very smooth. Light carbonation that may be a notch to low.
Drinkability- I was hoping for a more extreme kind of beer but this makes for an easier drinking brew than I was expecting. The sweetness is a bit cloying after about half a glass but not to severely. Overall this isn't a bad brew but I was really hoping for more. Go with Founders Red Rye or Hop Rod Rye if you want a better hopped up rye beer.

03-20-2008 03:38:48 | More by younger35
williamherbert

3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

The appearance is glassy, glowing deep cherry red. Puffy white head that shrinks to an uneven foam. Lots of tiny carbonation.

Smooth honey goes with the more bitter amber malts. Hint of a lacquer. A mild resiny hop. Too much metallic and furniture polish.

The taste has a metallic, nail-polish taste. But otherwise has a nice, woody hop, along with bitter -- slightly sour -- amber malt.

The feel is smooth but with medium body. A little bite at the end. Not bad but just a strange, metallic taste that overshadows the rest. Too much lacquer.

04-11-2009 17:06:51 | More by williamherbert
largadeer

3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Opaque murky amber with an inch of dense foam that retains exceptionally well.

Smell: A somewhat muted aroma of burnt sugar and resiny hops with a hint of rye. A subtle fruitiness comes out as it warms.

Taste & mouthfeel: A touch of caramelized sugar and a ton of rye. Fruity and earthy, malty but not especially sweet. Medium/light-bodied. A blast of piney bitterness comes out in the finish; this stuff has a big hop smack but man is it nice.

Drinkability: Could easily drink a few of these, damn good stuff.

Edit: Had this again recently and it was nowhere close to being as good as I remembered. Did they tweak the recipe?

07-12-2008 01:04:33 | More by largadeer
icefisherman

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Poored a dark brown caramel color, not going to lie kind thew me off.nose was kinda weak slight hops kinda peak thru. Also kinda dissapointed to me the rye was not what I was expecting but still not bad. Would drink it again and probably will. Almost more like a ipa than a rye, atleast to me.

07-18-2009 02:46:58 | More by icefisherman
davexisxrabid

3.13/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass, producing a dark brown, mahogany brew with a small half inch head. Little retention and lacing.

Aroma is complex. A bready biscuit aroma with a pungent hoppy kick in the nostrils.

Sort of plain mellow brown ale flavor. Thick sweet flavor with a nutty, caramel punch but really hoppy; a little piney, a little earthy.

Full bodied with a lingering flavor embodying all the beers characteristics. Very little carbonation, makes it feel thicker than it really is.

Decent flavor, couldn't really have more than one though. Really thick; I think a bit more carbonation would be beneficial to this beer and make it easier to drink.

02-18-2010 07:20:19 | More by davexisxrabid
LilBeerDoctor

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle. Pours a clear deep amber/brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, jam, sugar. Flavor of caramel malt, a touch of rye graininess, sweet molasses/sugar. Not overly sweet but pretty "blah" overall. It's not bad, but a little sweet for my liking.
7/4/6/3/14 (3.4/5)

03-31-2009 02:52:39 | More by LilBeerDoctor
badmoon

3.2/5  rDev -22%

Served in a tulip from a bottle.

A: Dark brown. Started with a decent head that didn't last. This one has a little bit of lacing but not much.

S: The spice is really standing out. I'm not getting any hops...spicy!

T: I'm getting sugar and malt. I'm not picking up the hops other than the bitter finish. Could just be my bottle. Who knows.

M: Very creamy. It also has a sort of metallic quality. I'm really beginning to think I have a bad bottle.

D: It's OK. I wouldn't want more than one or two. It's a big beer.

Overall: It's passable. There are many other beers I'd rather drink but this one was fine. I'd like to try a different bottle to see if mine was "off".

04-18-2009 05:03:40 | More by badmoon
Mdog

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: Deep red, big head, good lacing.

Smell: I sniffed and sniffed, maybe a vague citrus and a little bread.

Taste: Lots of tangy rye and an astringent bitterness. Very dry finish.

Drinkability: Not available in Minnesota, kind of weird to have more than one in a sitting.

An interesting beer, I was expecting a lot more hop flavor since it is supposedly "hopped-up", but mostly my take-away was the strong rye flavor. Decent to try, but I probably won't have it again.

02-02-2008 00:31:10 | More by Mdog
kojevergas

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Served on-draught into a Flying Dog pilsner glass in St. Paul, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a dark nontransparent amber.

Sm: Cream, toasted malt, and very light caramel. Maybe butterscotch. A mild strength aroma.

T: Lovely toasted malt foundation. Some nice cream and butterscotch tones lie atop. Fairly complex. Well built and pretty well balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Somewhat tingly. A bit too thick. Pretty complementary of the flavours.

Dr: Pretty drinkable, but it costs a lot. It isn't as unique as it should be. Hides its ABV well. For a rye beer, it's not bad.

12-07-2011 00:55:12 | More by kojevergas
Yetiman420

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Going into this one with Founder's Red Rye as the benchmark (on tap at my local pizza joint is cause for excessive quality control testing).

Dark red with thin head into a standard pint glass.

Nice malty, rye aroma. Did not pick up the "hopped-up"aspect in the aroma.

The malty finish seems dry with a burnt characteristic. Flavor comes across thin and watery.

This is my second go round with this beer and I may need a third because of consistency issues. I thought it was a better beer than what I'm drinking.

02-25-2009 02:13:25 | More by Yetiman420
pijiu

Served in a pint glass.

A: Deep caramel colored liquid with a oatmeal-hued head about an inch thick, that dissipated quickly. Tightly packed tiny bubbles with persistent lacing.

S: Has a very pleasant floral smell with a dash of citron scent. It has a mild aroma, but it is very pleasing.

T: Tastes sharp on the tip of the tongue and the top of the soft palate, but not too harsh. Continuation of citrus notes throughout, light hints of aged cheese, bitter hop finish on the sides of the tongue.

M: Very smooth and thin. Very little carbonation and therefore a very mild drink. Easy on the throat.

D: Very easy to drink, but has a strong flavor. Would be a good complement to red meat or deeply colored sauces. Perhaps would not drink it by itself.

Overall: A pleasing beer, but you must be in the mood for a stronger, darker flavor. The aroma is quite nice.

04-27-2009 23:10:58 | More by pijiu
GRG1313

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a dark brown that you can't see through with a thin white head.

Very light malt nose and perhaps a bit of green ivy, not much else.

Light mouthfeel but with some light creaminess, light malt, cooked fruit flavors and some underlying bitter pine hops. Hints of white pepper.

Tasted this one almost a year beyond it's "best by" date. Perhaps the dates really do mean something. I might want to try one that's a bit fresher before making any definitive decisions.

08-06-2009 03:53:41 | More by GRG1313
dfillius

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

1 of 7 daily rated beers in honor of Craft Beer Week

Poured in a pint glass on May 11
A: Best by 10/29/08!? C'mon - serious minus points for Liberty Village Wines and Spirits in Stillwater, MN for that. I wish it was fresh. Moderate pour yields 1/8 finger of white head that dissipates to a thin ring. Deep copper burgundy clear liquid. Pretty!
S: Rich bread and raisin/fig. Plum, some tang of rye and some sweetness. A little brandy.
T: Doesn't taste "hopped up", probably the age. Tastes good nonetheless. Some boozy brandy/bourbon notes. Rye tang.
M: Hot after warming. Good carbonation.
D: Good but I wish it was fresh.

05-22-2009 01:06:56 | More by dfillius
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a very dark caramel color, just slightly cloudy, but I don't believe it's bottle conditioned. Nice big foamy head after a very aggressive pour. Pretty mild aroma of citrus, rye, and an almost tropical mango like smell. On the palate, a faint smokiness comes first with the rye and hops clumsily juxtaposed. The dryness in the midpalate is quite firm with a thin, bone dry finish. It remains quite bitter in the mouth very long after each sip. Body is medium with moderate carbonation, it is quite balanced, not a souped up RIPA like it claimed to be. There's nothing grounding to this beer, it's slightly sloppy. Drinkability comes out low, a bit of a dissapointment.

06-21-2007 19:15:10 | More by dreadnatty08
salukiKMO

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

S- 22 ounce bomber bottle
A- a nice reddish, almost light caramel color
Smell- citrus, with almost orange juice type aroma
Taste- really taste the hops, some what pine taste, strong flavor
Mouth feel- light
D- not my favorite type of beer, hence the rating. If you like "hoppy" ales this is the one for you. great example.

07-24-2006 16:33:29 | More by salukiKMO
samie85

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Originally reviewed on 2/17/10.

A-Pours a dark red/copper with white one finger head.

S-Caramel malt, grapefruit, orange, and maybe the slightest whiff of rye.

T-Hint of spicy rye, but citrus hops dominate here with orange, tangerine, and grapefruit; caramel malt balances and keeps it from being very bitter.

M-Low carbonation and bordering on flat with medium body.

D-Pretty, easy drinking but not very interesting to my palate.

02-21-2010 20:34:53 | More by samie85