Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
Reviews: 615 | Hads: 1,578
3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A sample from the variety case.
The print the best by date on the bottom of the back side label. This bottle was more than 3 months from this date
The color is a nice copper/red with an tan head .
The smell is like your surround by pine trees.
It tastes the the same pine forest with a very bitter finish. Very creamy.
This beer isn't an everyday beer for me but I wouldn't mind having an occasional Cane & Ebel (411 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. Best by date on back of 7/16/09

A - Clear dark ruby color with a pleasant light tan foamy head. Decent retention and good lacing down the glass.

S - Hop smell is lightly floral with straw, wheat, and grass. Earthy. Light fruit aromas with a hint of apricot.

T - Much hoppier than it smells. The first thing that comes across is the floral and slight fruitiness of the hops followed by a slightly earthy finish.

M - Crisp and light with a dry, bitter finish. Light to medium in body.

D - I don't think that this is a bad beer by any standards; however, it's overly hopped flavor isn't balanced by any sort of "maltiness" (yes, its a Rye beer) and is a little overpowering.

I ended up giving the other from the 12 sample pack to my dad to drink. At least I have the bottle for home brewing. (834 characters)

Photo of
3.63/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a wine glass. This had a modest head which left nice swirls as it dissipated. As I continued to drink, the foam left rings on my glass.

Smells and tastes like citrusy hops. The flavor hit me in three waves with every sip - first sweet hops, then plum and a crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and a little oily, in a good way. I think that it would be a little overpowering to consume more than one of these in a sitting. Very interesting, and very tasty. (468 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -11%

I had this on tap at the brewpub as part of a sampler...A bright clear dark copper with amber highlights, lightly clear. A light tan head great retention and lacing...Light malts on the aroma but mostly hops, you can tell its totally dry hopped. Taste is is rye undertones with lots of hops throughout. The hops mostly cover up everything, makes it taste pretty good if you like hops. Decently easy to drink, but nothing special. (429 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -10.8%

Served at cellar temperature, poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

This one pours a dark red, with a 1 1/2 finger light beige head, which drops down right away.

A little floral in the nose, and a faint hint of rye bitterness. A bit of bready malt, as well.

The taste is well balanced between slight spicy rye, along with the not overly bitter floral hops, and the mild sweetness on the other end. Not overstated in any one direction, but that balance should be enjoyed once in awhile too. The rye comes on a little bit more at the end of each drink, and makes for a dry finish.

A sweet, creamy, full mouthfeel, which is well balanced with the bitterness it also carries.

This would make a great session beer for me. There is nothing fancy about this beer, and sometimes, that's just what I want. (809 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

appearance: The whitish head soon recedes to an island of carbonation and a ring around the glass. The beer is a medium brown in color.

smell: Tealike aromas of fresh, floral hops blended with some caramel and rye malt aromas.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is around medium, the body a lighter medium.

taste: A slightly nutty, lightly sweet sweet malty flavor finds some hop flavors and soon gives way to a moderate bitterness. Not much depth, but tasty.

drinkability: somewhat limited

bomber split with dirtylou during my stay in WI (546 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

This is just about the most interesting rye beer I've come across, sort of a rye IPA, if you will. Pours a deep and hazy amber in color with a fizzy off-white head. Nose has that characteristic rye tone to it, as would be expected but also some grapefruity hope tones as well. Taste is well balanced between a nice amber ale flavor and a hoppy IPA type of overtone. Interesting brewing here for sure. Mouthfeel is very nice, silky and creamy with perfect carbonation. Drinkability is quite high, flavorful enough to interesting, but not so over the top that it burns out the palate.

Slàinte! (595 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

This was my second crack at a red rye. I really enjoy the founders rye beer so I thought I would give another rye a try!!!

A - Just as I would picture the beer to be a nice amber with a pretty thick head. Unlike what others have described the head to be. Eventually the foam lowered, but never went away.

S - A sweet smell to it. You can pick out the sugar cane. I can't quite pick out what else this beer brings out. Unusual and I liked it.

T - Hops and malts work together, but didn't bring a lot to the table. I could taste the caramel, but after that it gets lost.

M - Pretty well carbonated, not overwhelming though.

D - I would drink these all night. Maybe I'm just not a rye fan. (692 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz into a snifter. First, I love the way this beer looks. Cloudy murky reddish brown with sediment a-floating. Good hops in the nose and the rye comes through too. I dig the taste, although I've been drinking a lot of rye beers lately and this one winds up tasting a little thin. Pretty drinkable for 7%, alcohol is not noticeable on the tongue.

I haven't liked too many beers from this brewery, but they are local so I keep trying their stuff. I think this is their best brew I've had yet. Still, for the price of this 6 pack there are a lot of other options and it will be hard to pick this one again when I'm looking at a good shelf craft selection. (657 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance- Pours a deep orange brown color. 1 - 1 1/2 inch head that fades quickly.

Smell- Very bready from the rye. I pick up hints of nutmeg and orange. I feel the smell could be improved. A little heavy on the bread, not much else.

Taste- Opens up sweet and malty, get some nice bread/rye elements, and finishes with a dry bitter taste. I'm getting some orange and maybe grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- the medium body works well for the beer and the hops have a nice kick.

Drinkability - It's a nice beer. I had 1, my companion had 3. This one is really dependent on what you taste and how the character hits you. I'm big on smells, and didn't find the aroma of this beer quite as pleasing as other Ryes I've tried. It's a solid beer and would try again. (757 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - This beer pours a nice transparent mahogany color, that glows when held to the light. It has a big 2-finger light tan head. The head left a ton of lacing on the glass that stuck and dried.

S - Pretty faint, but it smells of sweet malt, rye, and hops. It also has a nice earthy character to it.

T - The taste is of sweet malt and some bitter rye. There is a decent hop presence here as well. The finish is smooth and citrusy, it also has a nice bitterness to it.

M - It has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down smooth and easy. There is a nice creamy feel, and a hop bitterness that sticks to the mouth and linger just for a little bit.

D - I think the drinkability is pretty good. It is easy to drink and goes down smooth, but I just expected a little more from this beer. It is good and all, but I just wish the flavors were a little stronger. Overall, its a good beer, it just doesn't really stand out among some of the other rye beers I've had. (967 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -10%

Cane and Ebel, brewed by Two Brothers Brewing Co.

I had some expectations on this beer for two reasons. First, I've yet to have a Two Bros beer that wasn't well styled, and second, "a hopped-up red rye ale" how can you not be fired up!

A: Deep red copper colored, lightly transparent, with a strong lingering head. Consistent light lacing.

S: Light grapefruit citrus over a depth of malt.

T: Initial hop burst of west coast hops (I think) that is quickly overtaken by the nicely sweet malt.

M: Medium to light.

D: Easy drinking, not entirely smooth (quick hop burst/deep malt), but the transition is enjoyable. Definitely enjoy one before, during and after dinner. Truly an enjoyable beverage. (703 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber.

Pretty good sized, tan head. Fairly dark auburn-red color. Good amount of carbonation. Nice retention and tons of lacing along the glass as I drink.

Piney, hoppy aroma with a slight malt sweetness and a hint of oak.

Sweet, tangy hop flavor with fruitiness, then some rye notes and a pretty bitter, hop finish.

Medium-bodied and a little syrup-y and sticky mouthfeel.

Very attractive and nice smelling, but just a pretty good flavor. Mouthfeel was a little less than what I'd like. (509 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%

Aromas are of caramel and pales malts with some "rough edges" from the rye malts and some bitter citrusy hops.

The taste is really up front with bitter hops that quickly goes sweet malt but rapidly returns to harsh bitterness from either the rye or the hops; I think it's the hops.medium carbonation

I could certainly try another of these, but it's defintely not my favorite rye offering. I was pretty exciting for this beer but was kinda letdown to be honest. (462 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured out with a huge head that has a huge hop aroma, with a slightly tan color. Head lasted a long time. Left lacing

A nice copper color with orange hue accent. Aroma of hops, with a slight rye accentuated nose, with some fruitiness, and piny.

Flavor of rye, with a fruit character, lending too a very nice hop bitterness

Mouthfeel is a smooth nicely carbonated, medium bodied.

Overall this beer rock it is very drinkable. Balanced towards rye and hops mostly. This is reccommended (495 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a cloudy deep ruby with a sizable head. Aroma is sweet citrus hops with some spicyness. Grainy rye taste with bitter hops and roasty sweetness. The word that kept coming to mind was harsh. Just a little too harsh for my tastes. Otherwise it's a generlly good flavor and a decent drink, just maybe not quite as pleasing as Founder's offering. (347 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

mouthfeel: The carbonation is around medium, the body a lighter medium.

drinkability: somewhat limited

bomber split with dirtylou during my stay in WI (546 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle labeled best by 04/21/12.

A- Pours a dark amber, borderline light-brown color. Forms a half fingers worth of head that quickly dissipates. A nice film stays along the top and edge of the glass.

S- Smells lightly of citrus and malts. Some sweet fruits as well.

T- Starts smooth with noticable malts before finishing with the rye spiciness and hop bitterness.

M- Medium bodied, easy to drink, nice hop bitterness at the back of each sip.

A good rye beer, one of my favorites from my local Two Brothers Brewery. (556 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle. Aroma of rich grain, piney hops and sweet malt. Pours dark amber with a frothy white head. Flavors of spicy grain, resinous hops with a pronounced bitterness. Finishes dry and bitter. Not bad. Last beer of birthday night so impressed that I remembered it at all. (275 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, best by 10/29/08; sampled January '09. Brewed with rye, palm sugar and Summit hops, dry-hopped with Simcoe. The brew is a chill-hazed cherry red, capped with a thin layer of froth that leaves a bit of lacing. You can smell the age malts on this brew, but notes of caramel malts and sticky hops pierce through and help deliver a satisfactory aroma. Lots of resiny/citric hops on the palate, with a good backing of sweet crystal malts and a medium to high bitterness. There is also some fruity/floral alcohol and a light peppery note, but not really a whole lot of rye. It has a medium body and finish, and the sugar helps to keep this brew from being too heavy. In all, a nice hoppy and malty brew, but the rye and palm sugar don't really stick out at all. Maybe they come through a bit more when fresh. (817 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the bottle into a stemmed tulip. Recieved this in a generous BIF box from Sopernicus

A - Dark, dark red-purple almost black. Reminds me of the color of a plum. A small white head rests on top

S - Kind of a fruity aroma with some spicy rye notes. Not picking up much here however.

T - rich malts mingle with spicy rye notes. Some citrusy hop notes in the finish along with other dark fruit flavors. Malt is the first thing you notice before the hops take over. Well balanced

M - Medium body, creamy, nice low amount of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. Interesting mix of flavors. Nothing really turns me off in this beer but there isn't much that wow's me either. Worth trying and I wouldn't mind drinking this again but I don't see myself seeking it out. (772 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic glass.

A: Slightly hazy, dark amber color with over one finger of rocky and persistent mocha-tinted foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Fruit, featuring dark citrus and savory herbaceous spice, is detected. Caramel is also comfortably positioned in the smell, perhaps leaning into butterscotch.

T: Begins off-dry, with intense caramel, earthy black tea, and juicy citrus that is very dark. Acidity is restrained into the middle, where the authentic tea flavors develop increasing umami and astringency. This beer finishes rustic, savory, and herbaceous, with bitterness that accumulates on the palate slowly yet reaches a fairly bracing intensity.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and sticky on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: This intensely savory beer drowns out the advertised hopped-up qualities, borrowing just enough citrus to allow a nod in the direction of balance. It combines a solid malt-dominated front end with fairly strong pure bitterness at the end. While as drinkable as most IPAs, it seems a bit less composed that some other offerings from Two Brothers, such as Domaine du Paige or Resistance. (1,178 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a nice rich amber color with moderate head and lacing. I can't smell much in it. If anything, all I detect is the smell of alcohol. A little unimpressed. The taste is a surprise... maltier than I expected with only a hint of hops in the aftertaste. I would have liked more hoppiness to balance this out a little more. The rye is somewhat apparent, but not as dominating as in, say, a Founder's Red's Rye. Still enjoyable and unique. (438 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a brilliant brick red/amber colour. High clarity, the head is tan, about 1/2 inch, and holds up well. Moderate resiny hop flavor in the aroma, with lightly toasty malt. The smell is decent, but doesn't really entice me.

The taste is lightly dry, with toasty, caramel malt flavor. The hops are pine-like, and balance out the flavor well. Decent bitterness toward the end which seems to fade after each subsequnt sip. I only get a small hint of rye in the end, and not much spiciness either- not what I expected.

The thickness is medium, with a slight syrup-like slickness to it initially. The carbonation is not that strong, and I would say it loses its potency quickly as the beer sits in the glass. This seemed to water it down a little.

Overall, I thought it was decent. It wasn't what I expected for a Rye beer, in fact it seemed more like an IPA of some sort. Worth a try, maybe split it with a friend. Thanks to Vancer for the bottle... (958 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

A - One and a half finger, rocky, brownish off-white head with good retention and excellent lace. Perfectly clear ruby colored body. This is a strikingly beautiful beer; pretty much flawless.

S - Strong, spicy aroma of rye, along with light caramel, vanilla, and herbal/ spicy hops.

T - The spiciness of the rye asserts itself first, along with a thin sweetness. This is quickly followed by a wave of sharp, almost soapy bitterness. Pine like hop flavors follow and the rye character and bitterness fight for dominance through the finish, accompanied by a subtle smokey note. A distinct, lingering flavor of grapefruit remains after everything else is gone.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation and a slight residual sweetness.

D - This kind of beer is not my cup of tea, but it is well made and I can see how it would be very enjoyable for an IBU pervert. Honestly, my biggest complaint isn't really the level of bitterness, but that it is such a sharp, acrid bitterness. Personally I think some of those bittering hops might have been better used for aroma and flavor. (1,075 characters)

Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company