Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Cane & EbelCane & Ebel

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

(Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
hopsbreath

Oregon

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

Thanks to jamnescameron for including this as an extra in the Blind Bomber BIF. This was a big want of mine I can now cross off. Thanks man. Included in the package was a Two Brothers branded American pint glass. It only seemed logical to pair the beer with the glass.

The beer pours a deep ruby-orange with a light nutmeg highlighted head covering about three fingers worth of space. Copious lacing make this look really good!

The smell could be better. Muted tropical hops and sweet malts need some work.

Taste is sweet weak brewed tea, metal, charred caramel malt, and more fusel alcohol than what is listed on the label.

Mouthfeel is lightly sticky with very soft carbonation.

Drinkability depends on "do I want another"? I don't really want another one unless its much fresher. Notice u didn't mention anything about any rye characteristics. That's because I didn't get any. I think I'm going to leave this on my wants list for now and re-review it in the future. I do have the appropriate glassware after all. Of course, it might be unfair that I am mentally comparing it to 2 week old Red's Rye P.A. That beer was phenomenal. I don't think this beer can possibly rival one of Founders best, but I do think bottle date might make a difference.

09-15-2010 16:07:04 | More by hopsbreath
bsp77

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Clear dark amber-red with foamy cream colored head and lacing spattered all over.

Smell: Complex mix of grapefruit, orange, spice and bread.

Taste: Grapefruity hops and somewhat sweet fruity & toasty malts battle, while a sharp spiciness floats above both the hops and malts and carries long into the very bitter finish.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium to full smooth body, extremely dry finish.

Drinkability: What an onslaught this beer is on my taste buds, yet still quite refreshing.

This is now my third Rye IPA/Red Ale (Founders Red Rye and Summit India Rye being the other two), and this is simply a sub-style I truly enjoy. Like the Black IPA (or whatever we are now calling it), this almost deserves its own style now, since this has nothing in common with the other, tamer Rye beers out there.

09-14-2010 21:57:44 | More by bsp77
Brenden

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been on a kick lately of finding old notes...

The color is an appealing deep mohogany red with coppery highlights almost pushing to ruby at the edges. A very nice off-white head stands about two fingers tall, stays for a pretty long time without really fading away, and leaves some good lacing in fairly thick patches.
There's a breads and caramel presence from the malts with some citrus, grains pulling through overall with a light spiciness I can safely assume is from the rye. Also lingering is the particular aroma I've come to identify with Simcoe hope. The aroma is good, almost very good, lacking only the depth and power of the hops found later and moderate on a rye spiciness that comes out deeper in the flavor as well.
The flavor is where it's at. A big, bready malt along with a toffee sweet caramel malt make for a big, rich malt presence necessary because big malts are the only way to balance the beauty of the somewhow heavy yet clean hops in here. There's a big citrus and a nice tanginess to further balance an unusual but nice sweetness and plenty of rye spiciness. This one's deep, bold, robust, balanced, and flavorful. Delicious.
A full body and plenty of smoothness make for a nice, full, almost chewy mouthfeel. Plenty of crispness up front gives way to rich creaminess. Robust, clean and semi-dry in the finish.
I guess if I had to choose between this or Red's, I'd be lost. The price sticker would be the decision maker.

09-09-2010 20:36:54 | More by Brenden
rembrant

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Pour Red Amber with a great frothy thick head. Recedes gradually leaving some lace

Scent Woodsy and floral hop aromas,some whole hop resin,not much malty stuff

there's a nice brief lead in of a good caramel before the hops catch up The hop's edge seems to get tamed a bit by the malts or rye but are rather flavorful,her resin,pine, a touch of smoke.

Mouth Seems rather full bodied but kind of flat for it's type. Out of curiosity,I took a swig from the bottle and some of that missing edge was there. Kind of strange,I can't recall another brew that's "Best Served In The Bottle".

Drinkable....yes It is a bit filling for it's type,rather tasty,not to big and boozy,but the shortage of carbonation put me off a bit.

09-07-2010 18:36:02 | More by rembrant
Ricochet

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured with beads forming at the top, little head and slight lace. Dark brown, with lighter edges? I'm seeing things. Smelled of fruity hops, maybe fig, with malt at the back. Mouthfeel was wow. It explodes with flavors in the mouth with a creamy wash and a candy-like aftertaste, but not sweet.

Well, the rye flavor is at the back but there, as I remember. The hops profile is like a blended beer where I can't pick a specific taste. Fruity, the aforementioned fig, toasted malt flavor under and the alcohol is only a slight flavor after all.

This was great. It was one of the few beers that really hit when taking a first swig, and I'd love to have this again.

09-04-2010 02:00:54 | More by Ricochet
Duff27

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Pours dark copper, almost brown, and leaves a one-inch head that never fully leaves. Some lacing left. I think you can see through exactly half of the glass if you put it up to the light at an angle...which is kinda eerie if you think about it.

S- Spicy hops. This is where you can smell the rye.

T- Well balanced hops and malts for as hoppy it is. Very last taste leaves a sweet sensation to remind you how delicious this beer is. Thai palm sugar!

M- Thick and creamy.

D/O- For a 7%abv brew, any style, this drinks incredible. One of my favorite beers I've tried in the last year. If I could get this any time it would be my go-to beer. I like trying as many beers as possible so for me to go to a large beer store in the hopes of finding something "hyped" or new, then see this and be ecstatic...well, whatever that means :) Automatically makes Two Brothers one of my favorites, and the fact that it's brewed just over an hour away is awesome. Absolutely delicious.

08-31-2010 03:51:27 | More by Duff27
Murphious

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Color is dark, rusty, red-brown. I didn't pour it, so the head was a bit weak. From the carbonation when I first sipped it, I am sure the foam would have been really nice. The aroma was fantastic! Could really smell the rye and hops. I could sense a little sweetness, maybe a green apple aroma/flavor? Slighlty fruity, I guess. It's a very complex flavor and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a bit 'rich' for me, I don't think I could drink more than one 'nursed' 12oz.
I may try some again in the winter with it warm to room temp.

08-28-2010 21:45:40 | More by Murphious
caddybuyer

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A-Deep garnet with filtered clairity and a healthy eggshell head that laces nicely. An outstanding looking brew.

S-Summit hops predominate with a whiff of citrus and rind. The rye is present as well. A very interesting nose.

T-Rich rye malts are well balanced by the hop bill, which has been kept in check here. Given the nose I expected much more of a hop bomb, but this beer excels in its balance. Slighly sweet and dry, the rye malts are the star here, and the finish is somewhat astringent with a peppery aftertaste that lingers and numbs the palate with an everlasting note. This is one damn smooth drinking brew. A bit offbeat, and better for it.

M-Creamy, well balanced medium mouth with very well balanced carbonation. Excellent.

D-Superbly drinkable beer. A shame I only had one. Kudos to my buddy Gabor the beer man at Penn Station for introducing me to this one. I have never seen it before. A great fall transition brew, I'm going to look this one up again if I can find it. It has the full bodied flavor of a much bigger beer, and while it is no wimp in the ABV category, you would never know it. Utterly superb.

08-26-2010 00:30:04 | More by caddybuyer
mnbeerman45

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Cane and Ebel, brewed by Two Brothers Brewing Co.

I had some expectations on this beer for two reasons. First, I've yet to have a Two Bros beer that wasn't well styled, and second, "a hopped-up red rye ale" how can you not be fired up!

A: Deep red copper colored, lightly transparent, with a strong lingering head. Consistent light lacing.

S: Light grapefruit citrus over a depth of malt.

T: Initial hop burst of west coast hops (I think) that is quickly overtaken by the nicely sweet malt.

M: Medium to light.

D: Easy drinking, not entirely smooth (quick hop burst/deep malt), but the transition is enjoyable. Definitely enjoy one before, during and after dinner. Truly an enjoyable beverage.

08-19-2010 22:13:31 | More by mnbeerman45
kbnooshay

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

While visiting my brother in North Aurora Illinois, he took us out to the two brothers brew pub. Great place!

Poured a gorgeous dark ruby brown color with a small off white head. Aroma is super dry with nice citric hoppage and some caramel malt. Taste was super hoppy with a rye twinge that could be mistaken for an astringent cleaner. This is fairly bitter. Feel is prickly from the amount of carbonation. Not super drinkable but i enjoyed this.

08-14-2010 07:02:02 | More by kbnooshay
jrallen34

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

I had this on tap at the brewpub as part of a sampler...A bright clear dark copper with amber highlights, lightly clear. A light tan head great retention and lacing...Light malts on the aroma but mostly hops, you can tell its totally dry hopped. Taste is is rye undertones with lots of hops throughout. The hops mostly cover up everything, makes it taste pretty good if you like hops. Decently easy to drink, but nothing special.

08-07-2010 21:18:57 | More by jrallen34
AlphaKevo

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Looks: A very nice Orangy-Amber color, no or little sediment so far as i can see. A little head, not much but a nice lasting lace.

Smell: Has a strong carmel/toffee sent. Smells much sweeter and it tastes.

Taste: Mmm...a great balance of hops and rye malts in this one...not too boozy up front or in the back...has a good earthly flavor...

all around a good brew!

08-06-2010 23:00:21 | More by AlphaKevo
deereless

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +9%

A: Dense head, medium brown to amber in color, a few spots of foam around the edge of the glass - 4.25, S: Hearty aroma that is heavy on the malts with a solid dose of brown sugar, thick tangerine and papaya, hops provide a nice citrus punch and some earthy touches, very inviting nose though I didn't pick up any rye- 4.50, T: Some caramelized sugars, plums and prunes, solid hop bite matched with an equally impressive shot of malts, a good bit of grapefruit, rye malts are less prominent than expected, elements of a double IPA - 4.50, M: Heavy mouth feel, quite smooth - 4.50, D: A very drinkable and very enjoyable beer, I wish this one was available in my local market as I can definitely see it becoming part of my regular rotation - 4.50

08-06-2010 00:39:57 | More by deereless
Lazerlobe

Washington

Look: Pours an amber/garnet with a solid finger of head, tight lacing.

Smell: Lighter caramel, rye, some cat-pee hops (Simcoe?) and tropical fruit

Taste: Twisted rye, citrus hops, some sour malt with a strong rye bread lingering presence.

This is a pretty solid RiPA that I'd be happy to pick up on a regular basis if it was distributed in my area.

08-05-2010 00:50:11 | More by Lazerlobe
Amalak

4.1/5  rDev 0%

I had out of a bottle while traveling through Chicago.
A- Reddish brown/copper color. It's clear with some bubbles and some head and lacing.
S- Limited rye scent.
T- It has a very nice vegetable malt taste. Clear rye in the back. It's smooth but with a slight floral/bitter bite.

07-27-2010 21:35:15 | More by Amalak
Rhynes2

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Saw this beer at the local homebrew store and had to try it. My first Two Bothers Brewing co. beer. This one is one of my new favorites. Poured a nice red with a quick dissipating head. left decent lacing down the glass. Taste of rye was well balanced and a perfect compliment to the hop character. Smell was of roasted rye with a little touch of hops.

I gotta recommend this to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. It blew my mind

07-27-2010 05:40:34 | More by Rhynes2
beerman207

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

First - this was a bit past the recommended shelf date so I will be interested to try one that is within it's freshness date;

A: Color is copper and transparent with a good head that lingers forever. Lace around the glass - very nice

S: Smell is malt, rye, citrus hops

T: Front is bitter hops that quickly goes sweet malt and has a nice fruity tone perhaps even some grape flavor in there

M: medium carbonation

D: I could certainly try another of these. Just what the doctor ordered after the day I had.

07-27-2010 00:45:19 | More by beerman207
grub

Ontario (Canada)

got this one from someone at dark lord day, but can't quite remember who. thanks to sent this my way!

12oz bottle. sampled july 21/2010.

pours brown and mostly opaque with a thin layer of tan head. the head drops quickly and leaves a bit of spotty lace.

aroma is good. caramel and a bit of toffee. lightly toasted rye bread. cracker. bit of spicy rye character. earthy.

taste is good. nutty. lightly toasted white bread. bit of cracker. caramel and buttery toffee. light spicy rye character. bit of dark chocolate. herbal and slightly earthy hops. medium bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. nice balance. a tasty rye beer.

07-24-2010 23:22:47 | More by grub
HosP

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured 12 oz into a pint glass. Split a pack with a fellow BAer. Thank you Patchmaster for picking this up!

A - Poured darker brown, maybe amber color. Hazy throughout the glass. Small head left very quickly, but not before leaving the lace on the glass.

S - Not a very strong aroma. Can't quite tell if its more hop or malt smell, good combination. Can pick up a faint candy aroma which makes it smell pretty sweet.

T - Very unique taste. This is my first rye beer, so a little different. At first the rye malts are at the front, but is followed quickly by some hop bitterness. Still a good mixture of hops and malts with a sweeter taste.

M - Medium body, little carbonation. Dry finish to it.

D - Very intriguing beer. Not sure how big of a fan I am of a rye beer. It is drinkable as there is a good mix of flavors. However I tend to enjoy hoppier beers, but for the style a good drink.

07-22-2010 02:03:58 | More by HosP
aasher

Indiana

I was lucky enough to grab a bottle of this at the Black Sparrow in Lafayette, IN. It poured a reddish brown, almost an amber with light white head. It smelled sweet and of rye malts and almost had a piny hoppiness to it. Almost had a candied fruit flavor to it. It tasted great. It was a good balanace of the rye, malt, hops, and sweetness. Kind of fruity. It was full bodied and left a sweet after taste. It was drinkable but I'd only have a couple at a time. It had good flavor and was a very good beer.

07-17-2010 16:50:38 | More by aasher
Patchmaster

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

This was my second crack at a red rye. I really enjoy the founders rye beer so I thought I would give another rye a try!!!

A - Just as I would picture the beer to be a nice amber with a pretty thick head. Unlike what others have described the head to be. Eventually the foam lowered, but never went away.

S - A sweet smell to it. You can pick out the sugar cane. I can't quite pick out what else this beer brings out. Unusual and I liked it.

T - Hops and malts work together, but didn't bring a lot to the table. I could taste the caramel, but after that it gets lost.

M - Pretty well carbonated, not overwhelming though.

D - I would drink these all night. Maybe I'm just not a rye fan.

07-16-2010 14:53:35 | More by Patchmaster
Brew33

2.55/5  rDev -37.8%

I was very excited to try this beer. Hopped up Rye Ale sounds right up my alley as Founder's Red's Rye is my absolute go-to beer.

The apperance was average. Reddish-brown with a thin white head. The smell was ALL Rye malt. Very distinct, almost no hop aroma. Smells bready and sweet. The taste is super malty. Tons of rye malt. Little hop flavor but enough to add some balance but the beer is definitely a malt bomb. Big beer. Heavy mouthfeel that doesn't really work with the rest of the beer. Little carbonation. Not very good, it's really a mess.

I didn't really care for this at all. I actually poured out half of the bottle. Skip it.

07-12-2010 15:20:32 | More by Brew33
hosehead83

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Deep amber in color, with an attractive two-inch head of off-white foam
Aroma-Subtle hops and rye notes
Taste-A bit of a hop onrush,followed by a malt, palm sugar sweetness that mellows out the flavor.
Very smooth, with some spicy rye notes and noticeable hops but nicely balanced throughout.
Overall, another solid offering from the brothers at Two Brothers.

07-11-2010 22:02:12 | More by hosehead83
metter98

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A: The beer poured hazy amber in color with very little head; lacy patterns of bubbles cover the surface. A light amount of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: There is a moderate aroma of rye malts and brown sugar in the nose along with some notes of piney hops.
T: The taste has a moderate amount of bitterness from the piney hops but is not overpowering and nicely balanced by the mild sweetness in the underlying malts. Notes of brown sugar are also present, plus there are some hints of spices in the finish.
M: It feels medium- to heavy-bodied on the palate and very smooth and clean. There is some dryness in the finish.
D: The beer is surprisingly easy to drink and I would definitely try one of these again to sample the interesting mix of flavors. Any traces of alcohol are well hidden.

07-11-2010 00:13:08 | More by metter98
rfgetz

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazed reddish brown, spotty head at best with minimal lacing. Scent is a pleasant combination of spice and citrus with a solid sweet, but not overpowering bready and carmely background. First sip is predominately mild spice and tropical fruits, the spice intensifies as it warms, yet the citrusy hop presence fades slightly, the sweet and bready carmely background does not come through until the beer is almost at room temperature. Medium bodied, slight touches of oilyness, but also slightly watery in the begining. Im torn, had some good charachtertistics to it, but tastes rather uneven and flat on some sips.

07-08-2010 13:13:59 | More by rfgetz