Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

pDev: 11%
Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

(Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer pours a deep ruby/amber color with one finger of tan, creamy head. Decent head retention and leaves sheets of lacing behind. Nose is of citrusy hops, nice caramel malts, some grassy hops and a touch of alcohol. Taste is of caramel malts and a bit of breadiness up front, moving in to some grains and grassiness, rye comes through towards the finish. Hops are detectable here and there from start to finish. This is a really well balanced beer. Medium bodied with lower carbonation, definitely a dryer beer. This is a highly drinkable beer, well balanced and the alcohol is well hidden.

Jayli, Jun 30, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Dark caramel amber color with a slight red hue, very minimal light frothy head, quickly diminishes. No lacing on glass.

S- Sweet, malty-candi sugar is the dominant scent (I checked and realize that it is actually Thai palm sugar), butter, slight grape aroma. I don't really get much hop aroma...which I would hope to get to balance out the malty, sugary aromas up front.

T- Caramel, toffee, sweet-honey and vanilla, moderate bitterness to try and offset the sweetness. Sharp, yet inviting, caramel...good hop character with a very malty backbone. At room temp as warmed up...certainly more complex and inviting, comfortable.

M- Thick, yet smooth...fresh and slightly bitter, enticing tingle on back of tongue...sharp and strong...but not all that complex, it is balanced and clean.

D- A bit too sweet, drinkable for a few, but beyond 2 just doesn't work for me beyond that.

For the creativity of the style, and I think they used some interesting ingredients...bold, clever and creative. Good overall beer...

mwagner1018, Jun 27, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

Got this in a mix 12 pack and not sure I will drink the other one. Just not impressed. The sugar cane after taste is just too much. Very sweet, not a fan but always worth trying something different. Never had a beer made with Thai Palm sugar. Oh well.

Backer2004, Jun 27, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance- Beautiful, clear, deep-amber body with a thick, cream-colored head and awesome lacing all down the glass.

Smell- Fragrant, estery hops, citrus and a sweet caramelly malt to balance.

Taste- Delicious. Roasted, caramelly malt, cane sugar. Great, grassy hops. Flavors are subtle but well-balanced all around.

Mouthfeel- Full body. Nice and creamy (almost chewy) texture. Great carbonation.

Drinkability- quite drinkable. Flavors are memorable, but not too powerful in any department.

endincolorado, Jun 25, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Standard pint glass.

Apprearance: Nice red color with a cream colored head. Leaves a nice lace on the glass.

Smell: The rye, and hops really comes through, with a malty undertone. The aroma is very pleasant and certainly induces salivation.

Taste: Very nice, stronger hop flavor than I expected. I quite enjoyed the combination of rye in the malt. The hops is a nicely floral, much like you would find in a California ale.

Mouth Feel: Smooth, slight carbonation. Lacked the small alcohol bite I would expect at 7%.

Drinkability: A nice beer, I would happily enjoy a couple of these with any summer meal.

x63x77, Jun 21, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Cherry amber with a fine sudsy head that leaves fine lace behind as it melts. The nose is pure fruity,hoppy goodness with butterscotch spiced malt notes. Tons of fresh hoppiness, spicy caraway seed and caramel malt balance perfectly together to create a really tasty beverage. Smooth,and kind of sticky mouthfeel, mild carbonation makes this beer go down quickly. A top notch beer.

biggred1, Jun 19, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into La Chouffe Tulip

Pours a 1 and 1/2 finger tan head. Very full and thick. Decent retention leaving some pretty sweet looking lace rings. Color is a dark amber copper. A red beer that is actually red for a change. I can see through this one, but not the greatest. I have to admit, that this is one good looking beer.

Aroma: The obvious rye is there and I smelt some kind of sugar, but I had no clue. I checked the bottle and it says it is produced with thai palm sugar. I am guessing that is what I am smelling. There is also an IPA-like aroma coming from this beer. Floral hops and citrus notes. Kind of has a musky aroma to it.

Taste: First thought is that it reminds me a little of Nugget Nectar. Then comes the rye and that palm sugar (it makes its presence known here). It is an interesting sugar and I can definitely taste the difference. Very hoppy and citrusy. Interesting flavor, but I do kind of like it. I was debating on whether or not to give the taste a 4.5 and I said if it was classified as a red, I would have, because it would have been one fine red/amber, but it's a rye, so 4 will be what it gets. Still very close to a 4.5.

Mouthfeel: Is somewhat bitter, but no where near an IPA level. It is almost just a mellowed out version. Medium bodied. And a medium-to-high level of carbonation that seems to be correct. Leaves an IPA-like aftertaste. Very dry and full of floral hops.

Overall, I am really liking this beer. I am curious to know what the hop level would have been like had I tried this when it was first released. I am not disappointed with this brew at all. I could easily drink another in a night. It had some unique ingredients going on and it was neat to be able to try them.

mothman, Jun 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark dark amber color
S: Smells great! Not too strong.
T: Good taste. I think I let it get too cold but I can taste the rye in it and the hops and malt have a great balance.
M: The Mouthfeel is about average with this type of beer. A little harsh but I think the coldness is adding to that. I should have let this one sit.
D: This is a great beer. I wouldn't mind a sixer of this.

BrewIndy, Jun 12, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. Best by date on back of 7/16/09

A - Clear dark ruby color with a pleasant light tan foamy head. Decent retention and good lacing down the glass.

S - Hop smell is lightly floral with straw, wheat, and grass. Earthy. Light fruit aromas with a hint of apricot.

T - Much hoppier than it smells. The first thing that comes across is the floral and slight fruitiness of the hops followed by a slightly earthy finish.

M - Crisp and light with a dry, bitter finish. Light to medium in body.

D - I don't think that this is a bad beer by any standards; however, it's overly hopped flavor isn't balanced by any sort of "maltiness" (yes, its a Rye beer) and is a little overpowering.

I ended up giving the other from the 12 sample pack to my dad to drink. At least I have the bottle for home brewing.

BeerFMAndy, Jun 09, 2009

Okay, first of all I picked up a four pack of this for $4.99. Went to have a bottle last night and see a best by date of 4/22/09. So my review is not of the freshest bottle, but here it is.

A- pours a deep transparent brown with two finger head of tan suds. Good amount of lacing.

S- Big hops with sweet caramel malt.

T- Some hops and big sweet roasted malt. Heavier on the malt side. Reminds me of a DFH 90 Minute. I'm guessing some of the hops have faded in this one. Some caramel and toffee present. Not bad, but would like bigger hops like a Red's Rye offers.

M- medium bodied, smooth and slightly creamy. Mild chewiness.

D- Pretty good drinkability for a 7% beer. A couple is about all I could do of this. Would like to compare this to a fresh bottle as I really enjoy this style.

jera1350, Jun 05, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Picked up a single of this at Ludlow Wine & Spirits. Review is on a bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks great - just what I would expect for the style. Lovely nutty, reddish brown color, slightly opaque, with highly visible carbonation and a well-retained 1 finger tan head. Tons of sticky lacing rings the glass.

Smell: A little less forward than expected. The slightest hint of really sweet, not bitter, citrus comes through. Smells juicy. Not getting any grains in the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is supported by a very distinct toasted grain and rye backbone. Slight citrus hops provide a pleasant bitterness without being overly sticky. The feel is moderate, with good carbonation and a fairly dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: Moderate. Not my favorite in the style in terms of complexity or balance, but still very tasty and easy to drink.

kels, Jun 04, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

1 of 7 daily rated beers in honor of Craft Beer Week

Poured in a pint glass on May 11
A: Best by 10/29/08!? C'mon - serious minus points for Liberty Village Wines and Spirits in Stillwater, MN for that. I wish it was fresh. Moderate pour yields 1/8 finger of white head that dissipates to a thin ring. Deep copper burgundy clear liquid. Pretty!
S: Rich bread and raisin/fig. Plum, some tang of rye and some sweetness. A little brandy.
T: Doesn't taste "hopped up", probably the age. Tastes good nonetheless. Some boozy brandy/bourbon notes. Rye tang.
M: Hot after warming. Good carbonation.
D: Good but I wish it was fresh.

dfillius, May 22, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

The bottle says this is a "hopped up red rye ale" and I'd say that's a pretty accurate description.

It's got a clean, dark red color with a good head and excellent lacing all the way through.

Right off the bat you can smell the piney hops.

Taste is really interesting, and not what I expected. The hops hit you up front, then fade to buttery, caramelly malts. It finishes with a nutty aftertaste that I found pleasing. Mouthfeel was good. The warmer it gets, the smoother it goes down. Carbonation was good.

It's not heavy and I could have easily had a few more. ABV is right where it should be for a beer like this.

This is my first beer from Two Brothers, but I hope it won't be last. I haven't been able to find it here in Cincinnati. More trips to Chicago!

JoshuaJ, May 20, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into my trust sam adams glass. Bottle has a best by of 6/30/09, so I wonder how fresh this is.

A- pours a deep ruby with a healthy 2 finger head. Looks delicious. A bit dark for an amber, but according to BA this is a rye beer so that seems to fit

S- malty, with a backdrop of hops (losing the battle to the malts). sweet.

T- sweet, but balanced. malt forward with a finish of muted hops. Slight twang of rye on the finish, but it's subtle

M- thick, coats the mouth. lively carbonation, but seemingly appropriate.

D- at 7%, I'd expect some more drinkability. The rye is starting to get to me by the end of just a 12oz

overall a solid beer, but not one I plan to revisit soon. If I do, I'd love to compare it to a fresher version.

fo5s, May 18, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

An extra special thanks for Buebie for sharing this brew via trade...

A - Reddish copper in color... Fully translucent... One fingers worth of slight tan pillow like head... Moderate carbonation... Full rich lacing... Good stickiness on the sides of the glass... Moderate carbonation...

S - Ultra malty aroma... Much sweeter than expected and much less hoppy than expected... Caramel... Rye... Perhaps the slightest hint of citrusy hops...

T - Terrific balance... The hops are much more pronounced on the palette... Caramel... Rye... Plum... Cherry... Fig... Wafer... A faint nuttiness... Citrus hop undercurrents...

M - Complex... Chewy... Medium to full bodied... Pleasant creamy carbonation... Sleek and rich... Slightly syrupy... Goes down very easy... The 7% ABV is cloaked nicely...

D - A fabulous beer and a wonderful introduction to Two Brothers... The label bills this as a "hopped-up red rye ale..." I would really consider it a "red rye ale with a slight hop presence," but in either case it is a truly wonderful beer...

Note - After several bottles of this fine brew, it should be noted that the fresher the better... While still solid, this one loses a little something as the weeks pass... My rating takes into account that variability...

philbe311, May 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle. "best by" date of 9/2/0? (09?). tasted in early april 09.

clear, dark amber. very active head, with HUGE 5-finger, tan head, even though i poured carefully! this recedes to a bumpy, almost cranular, "brainy" meringue. big splotchy rings of lace all the way down the glass. would have been a 5.0 if the head wasn't THIS big.

sweet aromas from both the mild citrusy hop and from the caramel malts, with apple esters too. hints of pine in back.

taste: malty, with sweet/sour twinge - from rye? moderate bitterness from the fruity and citrusy hops - not too aggressive, just pleasant overall, with lightly resinous finish.

medium body, with smooth light syrupy moments and resins in the finish. moderate carbonation is lightly prickly upfront.

tai4ji2x, May 17, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Small capped bottle, courtesy I think of splitgrin.

Dark golden, thin but compact and lasting light tan head.
Aroma has some caramel maltiness, fruity hoppiness, particularly citric, but no noticeable rye.
Medium bodied, this one feels a lot more like a DIPA. Nice malty backbone, caramel, with a somewhat hoppy, bitter fruitiness, citric with grapefruits and oranges, but again, not much rye to talk about.
This beer was kind of old, so the hoppiness is probably more intense than I felt. Nonetheless, or perhaps because of that, it is a good beer. Too bad I could not notice more rye, but perhaps I do not know exactly what I am looking for.

brdc, May 13, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beer is a translucent red color without much head. Would like a big thick head on this one but not to be.

Smell is somewhat muted. A lot of sweetness for me. Some hops notes, but slight. Some fruit smell, grapes I believe. Not expected there.

Taste is fantastic. Very hoppy, much more so than the nose would indicate. Some citrus and pine, with roasted malt and some wood. The malt and hops really give this beer a woody flavor, as if it were barrel aged. Great balance and I love the taste that is left on the palate. Hops, rye malt and wood.

This beer was recommended and it far exceeded expectations. Great stuff

yeastsipper, May 05, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer is also available from the two brothers tap house on cask pour fridays and saturdays. I had this on cask, and it's even better, but currently I'm drinking it from the bottle. It's a deep reddish brown in color, clear with a light cream head. The aroma is definitely of hops. The taste is sweet, with a refreshing citrusy flavor from the hops, and a roasted malty afterfinish. It has a hint of warming alcohol. Actually, it's hard to detect the rye malt. Wonderful beer though, very drinkable. Even better on cask.

Reneejane, May 01, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Served in a pint glass.

A: Deep caramel colored liquid with a oatmeal-hued head about an inch thick, that dissipated quickly. Tightly packed tiny bubbles with persistent lacing.

S: Has a very pleasant floral smell with a dash of citron scent. It has a mild aroma, but it is very pleasing.

T: Tastes sharp on the tip of the tongue and the top of the soft palate, but not too harsh. Continuation of citrus notes throughout, light hints of aged cheese, bitter hop finish on the sides of the tongue.

M: Very smooth and thin. Very little carbonation and therefore a very mild drink. Easy on the throat.

D: Very easy to drink, but has a strong flavor. Would be a good complement to red meat or deeply colored sauces. Perhaps would not drink it by itself.

Overall: A pleasing beer, but you must be in the mood for a stronger, darker flavor. The aroma is quite nice.

pijiu, Apr 28, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Served in a tulip from a bottle.

A: Dark brown. Started with a decent head that didn't last. This one has a little bit of lacing but not much.

S: The spice is really standing out. I'm not getting any hops...spicy!

T: I'm getting sugar and malt. I'm not picking up the hops other than the bitter finish. Could just be my bottle. Who knows.

M: Very creamy. It also has a sort of metallic quality. I'm really beginning to think I have a bad bottle.

D: It's OK. I wouldn't want more than one or two. It's a big beer.

Overall: It's passable. There are many other beers I'd rather drink but this one was fine. I'd like to try a different bottle to see if mine was "off".

badmoon, Apr 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my nonic pint glass. Appears a hazy rich apricot color with about an inch of light ecru colored sticky foam. Moderate lacing sticks to the inside of my glass with each sip. Smells and tastes of rich, spicy caramelized malts, ruby red grapefruit juice, bready grains, and a touch of resinous pine. A notch above medium in both body and carbonation. Looking forward to getting more when it becomes available. Check this one out if you see it.

ClockworkOrange, Apr 17, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

On the hand pump at Poor Phil's.

Appearance: Brown, lots of head, decent staying power. Cellar temp.

Smell: Subtle, really. It's not good or bad, it's rather hard to pick out. But what you can pick out -- hops.

Taste: I'll say I'm not a hophead. I'm trying to gain an appreciation of hoppy beers. The hops on this particular glass just burst out. And they dominate on the finish - the bitter is palpable. It may be my non-hopheadedness, but for the style the hops certainly overtake the sour that a rye ale should present. But I'm sure hop lovers will dig this.

Mouthfeel: Like most casks, this is a delight. Love it.

Drinkability: It's not a session beer at 7%. But, again, if you like the hops, I'm sure you'll find yourself quaffing a few.

stace, Apr 17, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

I have got to admit that I've only had a couple of Rye beers so I'm not too sure how to review this one. It looked good with a lively pour and darker amber color. The head was minimal, but stuck solidly to the glass. The nose was mostly piney hops with a malty/bready combo. Solid hoppy taste coupled with a punch of sugary sweetness up front, followed by a long bitter aftertaste and a distinct grainy dryness. Time to try more ryes. I loved it and will for sure pick up another 4pk in the future.

BDLbrewster, Apr 17, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -25.9%

The appearance is glassy, glowing deep cherry red. Puffy white head that shrinks to an uneven foam. Lots of tiny carbonation.

Smooth honey goes with the more bitter amber malts. Hint of a lacquer. A mild resiny hop. Too much metallic and furniture polish.

The taste has a metallic, nail-polish taste. But otherwise has a nice, woody hop, along with bitter -- slightly sour -- amber malt.

The feel is smooth but with medium body. A little bite at the end. Not bad but just a strange, metallic taste that overshadows the rest. Too much lacquer.

williamherbert, Apr 11, 2009