Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

pDev: 11%
Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

(Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a dark brown amber with nice thick lacing and a nice tan head. Smells of rye and dank hops. Nice malty flavor and hoppy smoothness. Smooth medium carbonation finishes nice and dry. New to the style but this was definitely an enjoyable brew. Recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours a beautiful deep ruby orange color with one and a half fingers of white head.

Scent of rye, grassy hops, and some grain. A great scent, not much complexity, but nice depth.

Taste of rye, caramel, and grassy hops. A simple and damn good rye beer, very much worth a try.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a small amount of carbonation.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from tap into 10 oz glass. Pours a deep dark red caramel with a finger of head. Good retention and lacing on the glass. Very caramellike smell. Taste is of smooth toasty dark malts with a wheaty rye like background. The mouthfeel is light and coats the tongue. I could easily drink a few of these. Another great brew from Two Brothers.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Nice label art on this one that brewdlyhooked13 generously sent me.

Pours a really dark amber, almost brown. Darker than I was expecting. Nice big tan head that is fairly resilient. Great lacing down the side of my tulip.

Smells of mostly floral hops and rye. Pretty nice actually. The aroma hit me as soon as I popped the cap off the bottle. There's a little bit of a citrus hop aroma too.

T - Interesting in that there's a lot of hop flavor but it's not very bitter. The date is fine on it so I guess the rye balances it out that much. The flavor, like the nose is all hop and rye to me.

M - Smooth and moderately carbonated. Nice dry finish.

D - Good drinkability for 7%. I'm becoming a big fan of "imperial ambers/reds" which I think this could fall under. Reminds me of hop head red and nugget nectar but less bitter and the addition of the rye. I've liked most rye beers I have had and this is no exceptions.

I'll definitely add this to to the list of beers and brewers I'd like to see here in SC.

Picked up by a friend on a road trip.

Pours a deep mahogany color with good carbonation.

Smell has just a mild rye smell to it. Considering I'm not a fan of rye bread, I'm beginning to question why I'm drinking this beer.

Seems to be a well-crafted beer. The style isn't for me but I can still appreciate the quality.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to d0b for this nice extra.

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a snifter.
Forming a decent 1 finger off white bubbly head.
The head quickly fizzles leaving a few pods of bubbles. Thin spotty streaks of lace with a greasy kind of brandy like texture on the glss.
Color is a pale brown, transparent when held to light, but still darker brown in color. Glowing with a golden brown shimmer.

Aromas of sweet buttery toast, malt, caramel, a hint of alcahol but very slight. Brown sugar, maple syrup, and some nice grapefruity hops, mmm its a sweet nectar of goodness at the knose.

Upfront its busrting with hops and a welcome even balance of carbonation. Its definatly sweet, but still some bitterness from the hops comes through swinging.
More of that toasted bready flavor, lots of sweet malt, burnt caramel, honey, and just the right amount of hops to keep that sweetness in check.
Crisp clean finish with a long lingering bitter hop and carbonation still tickling my tounge.

I didnt get much from the rye on this. Any kind of spice was drowned out by the hops. Still a good balance between sweet and bitter, so I cant really complain.
Very nice beer, recommend.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a nice dark red color with rust highlights, a smallish bubbly tan head and some light lacing. Nice, hoppy aroma, plenty of citrus and pine notes and a light spiciness. Flavor is on par with the nose. Piney hops, light citrus, slightly sweet and a solid rye spiciness along coasting along nicely with some toasty, bready malts. Medium bodied, average carbonation. This is a tasty beer. I really enjoy these hopped up rye beers. The spiciness of the rye really adds to the complexity of the hop flavors.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Second Two Brothers of the evening. I found this stuff for 6.50 a 4 pack today. I have been wanting to try this beer for some time but haven't been able to locate it....unitl today.

A - Very nice. Deep Brown Red with a cloudy feel and look. Excellent. It says....well crafted on it.

S - Hops are noticeable. Also there is a sweetness to this beer than I haven't picked up on with other Two Brothers.

T - Very Good!!! Hops on a sweet tooth. Reminds me of a piece of rye bread just coming out of the toaster with a little butter on it. Not too strong rye flavor but nice. You can taste this beer in the back of your throat just as it slides down. Very nice.

M - Again, very smooth like most two brother beers are. Excellent. Quality is what these guys strife for.

D - Ahhh...Yeah! A little bit more expensive than there other beers but for a miss priced 6 pack, I think $1.75 per bottle is well worth it. I think the price might be wrong so I am going back tomorrow and pick up some more. HELLO!!!!

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

The appearance of this beer really got me excited for the taste. This beer I have never even heard of, so when I got this in the mail I was excited. The bottle does have a best by date of 5/01/09.

Pours a dark dark amber with a creme colored head that came to about three fingers and when drank, left a nice medium lacing. Held up to the light this beer looks menacing.

This beer smells pretty good, maybe too sweet though. Its overwhelming smell is the grapefruit and sweet hops.

This taste of this beer is probably the most disapointing thing about this beer. I had my first drink and thought that maybe my tongue was funked up. Not really though, just this beer is really light and kind of falls flat. No overwhelming characteristics in this beer fly out, no flavors linger.

Overall this beer is easy to drink because it does not taste like anything specific. This beer was okay, but if I was able to buy it here I most likely wouldn't.

J

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Warning: hops abound!

Appearance: fine head, lots of small lattice on the glass; beer was a dark translucent brown

Smell: fruity citrus hops, some sweetness

Taste: this has a very hop-forward taste, slightly bitter, but very smooth; slight cereal grain taste, probably from the rye

Mouthfeel: crisp and effervescent; kind of leaves a thick feeling

Drinkability: Hop heads should love this beer! it's smooth enough to drink a few, but tastes strong enough to stop you.

Being a hop-head, I thought this beer was phenomenal. I love the floral and citrusy hops, and it had just enough sweetness to make this a very balanced beer.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Deep, dark copper color with a 2-finger, thick, creamy, tan head. Foam dies down after a few minutes, but leaves good lacing all the way down. Not much live carbonation.

S- Citrus, especially a kind of floral/grapefruit combination.

T- Absolutely no alcohol flavor. Floral notes, but dominated by citrus hop flavors. Very hoppy for the listed 68 IBU rating. I think the rye flavor brings it out. There's a great grapefruit/orange flavor that I can't get enough of. Great bite at the finish and spice in the aftertaste. Really an in-your-face beer packed with flavor.

M- Great body, and I think the lack of carbonation works well with the full body.

D- Tastes great, but a 4-pack in a night is as much as I can do. Not a bad session beer, but there's so much flavor, it's tough to keep drinking.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz. bottle.

Pours with a humongous tight fluffy white head, very thick. Hazy chestnut color. Aromas of gingerbread, sweet and spicy, ginger, orange peel and nutmeg. Tastes of caramel and resin, spiced rum, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla. Nicely bitter hop finish and spicy aftertaste. Medium light body.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to d0b for tossing one of these into a trade. Bottle says best before 5/01/09, so I'm guessing this is pretty fresh.

A - Transparent reddish brown (like cherry wood finish). One finger of light tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lace pattern. Not much in the way of visible carbonation. Wish there was more foam and better retention.

S - Yum. Citrus-y hops and a hint of rye. Fresh tangerine & grapefruit over top of a solid caramel malt backbone. Nice balance here.

T - More bitter than I expected - particularly with both the strong hop profile and the touch of rye whiskey flavor. The strong sweetness found in the smell isn't as present here, just a little sweetness on the back end. I'm going to delve into the realm of subjective preference here, but I find this is too bitter to be considered well-balanced, but not bitter enough to meet my hop-bomb needs. Leaves a bitter aftertaste as well.

M - Could be a little less watery, but otherwise smooth and creamy. Leaves a sticky resin after swallowing.

D - Plus - the restraint in carbonation keeps it from being too bloaty. Minus - even though this called a Rye beer, it appears to be competing in a very crowded IPA field.
The smaller size actually makes it more drinkable than Hop Rod Rye.

Solid effort by Two Brothers.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

popped this open with my buddy Paul, we are getting Paul into craft brew.

Pours a deep red. a small amount of off white lacing up top. moderate lacing. when swirled I am greeted by a nice one finger layer of foam.

smell gets me excited. good hop balance. sweet. malty.

taste is dry. bitter oily flavors hit me at the back of my mouth. slightly biscuty. real nice

mouth is very dry. this beer is almost like a sponge. subtle bitterness sticks with me for a while.

i could drink this again. not sure it would be at the top of my search list but it certainly got me excited for my rye ale in primary right now.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

I was definitely drawn to the uniqueness of this beer. A hopped up red rye ale brewed with Thai palm sugar? Whats not to love?

Pours a beautiful deep, dark ruby color with about an inch of off white head. Held up to the light this is one dark and delicious looking beer.

Smell is sweet and slightly syrupy. The sharp hop scent is very apparent as well. Not too complex of a bouquet but nonetheless inviting.

Initial taste is sweet and tart with some grassy and citrusy hop notes. A little thin without a strong malt back. I am going to let this warm up a bit whilst my tongue recovers from the tart/tanginess of this initial mouthful.

Overall a great tasting beer. Lots of bitterness with this hoppy red ale. Not sure what to look for out of Thai palm sugar but interesting nonetheless.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Nearly fell over when I saw this one at Black Lick. I have been looking for this one for way too long after splitting one with my good buddy Paul, who I shared a few drinks with at Sharp Edge Creek.

A. Beautiful cranberry red, with some rusty copper tones. At pour, a gorgeous soft white head, that I wish would stick around a little longer.

S. Tons of grains, some slight caramel malts, red cherries, cranberries, and just the right amount of rye. It blends together very nicely to provide a soothing floral and earthy smell.

T. Incredibly clean and crisp all the way through. Nice caramel and sharp cranberry flavors. Great hops come through as the rye kicks to end this beer in a very satisfying manor. This beer is very sharp and refreshing.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from bottle into Pint glass. Dark reddish brown color. Only a trace of head. Light lacing of glass.
Sweet hoppy aroma.
Nice crisp floral-hoppy taste on top of the sweet rye body. Not as hoppy as some other ryes, but a nice hop character. Smooth bitter finish.
Leaves me wanting another... I think I will...

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

On-tap at Bulldog Lowertown: Solid hue of blazing dark brick red, nearing voilet, and nary a fluff or capping at all when served. A slight ring of foam remained most way thru and just a few spot of lacing stuck.

Lovely aroma of darkened juicy citric hoppyness matched well with a rye crispness that really pops. Darkly fruity with orange, plum, and cherry with hints to duller grapefruit and notes to some brown sugar sweetness and caramel.

Taste is immaculately yummy and bold with a tender crispness of rye malt. Eagerly smoothed over with lots of caramel balancing malt slathered with succulantly soft, juicy, and dark fruity citrusy stuff. Orangey, grapefruit, rum/cherry, plum, green raisin, and tinged just right with a hopitude of greasy resin leftovers in the finish. Quite Barleywine-esk actually.

Smooth, snappy crispness matched with a tender center all enveloped in a fairly hefty fullish body. Just as its about to go chewy it gets the rye snap, then the hoppy textured resinous finish.

Damn solid stuff! Goes down great at first but catches up to ya after the first glass. Worht every sip no matter how ya decide to drink it down.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a very dark almost brown with slight amber. Thin head that left a little lacing

Has a sweet rye smell.

Taste is strong rye with a with a nice subtle hop finish(not as hoppy as other rye's I've had). This would make a good session beer for me because of the smooth taste, although the ABV is a little high for a session.

Thanks to Mymrnngjckt and SS for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours muddy brown color with a nice 2 inch head that recedes into just a thin layer. The aroma has tons of rye. Just a bit of hops and a ton of rye. Slight bit of cascade hops and just a bit of raisin. This is hands down the ryest tasting beer I've ever had. It really tastes like a marbled rye with a slice of grapefruit put on top. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and finishes quite dry. This beer reminds me more of an IPA that had a bunch of rye added into it.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle with a fiery red label with the name of the beer in big bold red letters,, the Two Brothers Mickey Mouse like symbol, 3 of the beer's specifications, and a drawing of either Cane or Ebel cutting through a field of barley or corn stalks. This drawing freaked me out! Why? Look at the eyes of the man in the field. He has the eyes of a zombie. Don't make eye content. Also, that sharp farm instrument in his hand doesn't help either. FREAKY!! Under this drawing is the saying "Worth a Whack." The back black label has the mandatory US information, a best before date, and a paragraph not about the beer, but about the brewery. Be warned! Look out for the zombie on the front.

I decided to pour this Rye Ale into a victory pint glass. "Cane & Ebel" poured a clear light amber color witha small tint of orange mixed in with it. Sitting on top of this amber brew was a thick and creamy head of foam. It looked like the head of foam was a pure white color from a distance, but up close it was more of an off white color. This creamy head of foam had slow retention that left behind a creamy off white skim of foam and a ton of sticky white streaks of lace. That skim of foam was long lasting. It stuck around for the entire life of this beer. Man, did this beer look good!

You can really smell the malted rye in this beer! Everything after rye was in small amounts. Nothing could come close the power of the rye. Behind the rye was a drop of honey, a hint of tart grapefruit, a splash of pine needles, and a subtle whiff of citrus hops at the end.

I sure hope you like the taste of rye because there was an insane amount of malted rye in this beer. The aroma came close to the amount of rye that was contained in this beer. The thing about that was the fact that the aroma was bursting with malted rye. But unlike the aroma, some other flavors had some time in the spotlight. Following behind all of the rye was a pinch of lightly tart grapefruit, a drop of sweet honey, a touch of pine and spruce, and a few slightly bitter citrus hops. Two Brothers said it was brewed with sugar, but I couldn't taste of it. It didn't need it anyway. It had enough rye in the taste to entertain my taste buds.

This Rye Ale was medium bodied and contained a rye based aftertaste of more malted rye, a dash of honey, and a few pine needles. This aftertaste didn't stick around for too long.

Even though the malted rye was everywhere, it never got boring. You'd think with all the malted rye that this beer contained it would get boring, but it didn't. In the end, it was delicious Rye Ale! I would love to drink this again and in fact, I just did! But this time it wasn't in a little 12 oz. bottle, but in a 22 oz. bomber bottle. Behold the power of the rye!!

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My 200th review. Wooohooo!

On tap at McNulty's Bier Markt in Cleveland a few hours ago. Poured into a clean, clear pint glass. It is the "IPA of the week" at the Bier Markt.

A Dark Brown translucent, maybe a bit of ruby red hue with minimal head that lingers for maybe 2 minutes. After that there were only trace bubbles on the surface. Not a bad look by any means but also not all that impressive.

S Hops. Really pungant. Like standing in a hop field having hops extract applied to your upper lip. Really, such a distinct aroma of pure hops. I did not smell anything else. That does not impress me.

T Huge hops bitterness started the taste (could it have been the nose coming back as I sipped?) but that gave way to a nice malty middle and a nice, wet finish. This is a hoppy beer for sure but it is presented in a well rounded, mature way. Other really hoppy beers that I have had, by comparison, were unbalanced hop featurettes and "one trick ponies." I am not afraid of hops but I think that such an unbalanced beer is, well, unbalanced.

M Full with hops bitterness, reasonably high ABV at 7%.

D Not the best due to hops bitterness and moderately high ABV.

Notes: I have not liked the hoppy hoppy beers in the past but if they continue to taste like this, a mature, well balanced but hoppy beer, then I might start to be persuaded into the hop camp.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Dark red with a cream head. Good retention

S: Nose is sweet with a small bit of hops. Caramel malts come through as well.

T: The beer is bitter with a spicy hop character at the end. The malts are quite present with a sweet caramel flavour. The flavour is over all really blanced with the high hop flavour and lots of sweetness. A great red ale.

M: Nice creamy mouthfeel.

D: Decently drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a clear brilliant red color with way too much foamy eggshell colored head, almost looks like meringue. Almost everlasting retention yields some nice spots of sticky lacing. Smells of rye bread, caramel malt, citrus, and earthy hops with a touch of ethanol. Tastes of caramel and rye with a nice touch of orange, lemon, and grapefruit zest as well as a little earthy hop presence. Medium in body with nice carbonation, fairly smooth and sweet with a good hop character that I think could be stronger if the beer was a little fresher. According to the bottle it's best if drank before 6/19/2008, but even at this stage in the game it's pretty darn tasty.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

A - dark amber red, almost sanguine, with a half a finger of creamy white head, very little carbonation

S - sweet aroma, like malts and some honey-esque sweetness and background wheatiness, now that i note that its a wheat beer it makes sense

T - the wheaty character battles the malt profile with no regard to the hops sneaking up from behind, hops sneaks up behind wheaty, draws his knife and plunges into his profile, assassinating wheaty and leaving hops and malt alone on the palate, until the finish

M&D - wonderfully complex without pretension, a nice mix of flavors, nicely layered and easily quaffable, a nicely brewed beer, well done

Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company