Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

I don't usually review from memory, but I went to the release party for this beer at the Hop Leaf the other day and I was really impressed. A white head topped a rusty red colored beer. It has a sweet fruity/floral smell and assertive hoppy flavor that hits you right away. As you work through the pint it develops a kind of creaminess and sweetness in back of the hop bitterness that gave it layers of flavor making me want to drink more & more. This is my new favorite beer from Two Bros. It wowed me and is going on tap at both of my establishments.

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

A: rudy burnt orange and red with a really nice two fingers of off-white foam

S: piney hops almost entirely with a hint of malt at the end.

T: Much more balanced than expecting after the taking in the nose. Light carbonation and hops in the front, then predominated by nice, round malt flavors. after a few moments, the hops makes themselves known again, lingering for quite a while.

M: The carbonation and hops balance well in the mouth, with some warming from the alcohol.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

The bottle says this is a "hopped up red rye ale" and I'd say that's a pretty accurate description.

It's got a clean, dark red color with a good head and excellent lacing all the way through.

Right off the bat you can smell the piney hops.

Taste is really interesting, and not what I expected. The hops hit you up front, then fade to buttery, caramelly malts. It finishes with a nutty aftertaste that I found pleasing. Mouthfeel was good. The warmer it gets, the smoother it goes down. Carbonation was good.

It's not heavy and I could have easily had a few more. ABV is right where it should be for a beer like this.

This is my first beer from Two Brothers, but I hope it won't be last. I haven't been able to find it here in Cincinnati. More trips to Chicago!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep, murky rusty color with red on the edges. The carbonation literally hangs in limbo near the top, giving this wonderfully hearty appearance. Thick soapy head that leaves a hearty lace that sticks around to the last drop.

S - Spicy, floral scent that ends with a great grain profile. I swear I can smell cream in the scent as well. It's an awesome combo.

T - I don't know where to begin, the complexity is great in this beer. All the promises the aroma makes make good in the taste, with a great rye spice and bitterness that is incredibly enjoyable. I never thought I would catch the palm sugar in this brew, but it's definitely present, and works great with the rest of the flavors.

M - Creamy as hell, and I love it. rolls around on my tongue and is almost as present and important as the taste.

D - Damn this beer is deceiving. Can't even begin to detect a 7% ABV. Not something I could drink 10 of in a night given the ABV, despite me wanting to. But I would take this rye beer every chance I could get it. The sweetness rounds out that spicy/hoppy flavor so nicely.

This is my favorite Two Brothers beer to date. The complexity in its smell and taste rocks, and the experience drinking this beer is just all around enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.17/5  rDev +2%

A - Pours a deep amber color with very little head, but leaves behind lots of sticky lacing.

S - Smells of toasted bready malts, fruity hops & spice from the rye.

T - Touch of caramel & citrus rind hit the palate first, followed by spicy rye & fruity hops.

M - Smooth and creamy.

O - Great beer, good balance of sweetness & bitterness.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Brown caramel colored body with a two inch tan head.

S- Spicy upfront hops, white pepper and spices give the hops a great strong character. Definitely a nice bready malt base.

T- Hops are more herbal and grassy with a definite spice character coming from the rye. Finishes off with a touch of sweetness from the malts.

M- Creamy and foamy, with moderate carbonation.

O- One of the best rye beers I have encountered, something to look out for and pick up.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Mellow but strong in equal measure, Cane & Abel is a showcase of brewing skill, melding jaw breaking strength with a balanced profile that belies that strength and settles into a balanced easy drinker. Pours a light crystal clear brown with ample sticky lacing, this brew starts with a malty caramel aroma that buoys a significant eatery piny hop aroma. The first sip is surprising as the aggressive hop content does not attack the tastebuds with prickly abandon, instead choosing to lay in wait, allowing the smooth body to mellow into a melange of malt sugars then gradually creep back lending a long resiny aspect to the flavorful finish. Skirting the territory of the barley wine, Cane & Abel deftly avoids that moniker choosing instead a strong but flavorful profile that hides its muscles in a classy and complex veil of flavors. Very well done from this young brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a deep copper color with a fingers width foamy head. Transparent when put up to light. Good carbonation, very lively.

Very fruity, sweet smell. Not very strong, but good.

Great balance of the sugar and rye for a sweet, fruity taste. I enjoyed this one.

Quite a drinkable beer, very tasty and light enough to drink a few back to back. I have a feeling this will be a great summer beer, I'll definitely be buying more when it gets warmer.

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%

A: a dark brown with a nice head.

S: Huge overtones of malt and rye greet me take in the aroma from the glass.

T: A hit of citrus with malt and hops powering through to the end of the taste.

M: perhaps a tad undercarbonated for my liking. Very smooth.

D: A nice change of pace beer for me. I'm not normally a fan of Red Ryes, but the extra hop in this beer intrigued me. It will go in the rotation.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle a rich amber red. Form off white head about an inch. Head droped and some lacing remained. Looked good, a little cloudiness but pleasant color.

Fruit aroma came out right away, reminded me of dried apricots.

Piney hop taste with other components, light dried fruit and citrus.

Comfortable on the tongue, pleasant drinking.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%