Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros

3.52/5  rDev -13.7%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Yum, Yum, excellent Rye and with a great red hue. Excellent Beer.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark dark amber color
S: Smells great! Not too strong.
T: Good taste. I think I let it get too cold but I can taste the rye in it and the hops and malt have a great balance.
M: The Mouthfeel is about average with this type of beer. A little harsh but I think the coldness is adding to that. I should have let this one sit.
D: This is a great beer. I wouldn't mind a sixer of this.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Picked up by a friend on a road trip.

Pours a deep mahogany color with good carbonation.

Smell has just a mild rye smell to it. Considering I'm not a fan of rye bread, I'm beginning to question why I'm drinking this beer.

Seems to be a well-crafted beer. The style isn't for me but I can still appreciate the quality.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle attained from Costco in 24 bottle variety pack into a nonic.

Label reads "Best by 6/2/10"

this beer has color that might best be described as burgundy. there is a respectable amount of carbonation leading up to a finger of head that dissipates quickly but there is still enough to create lacing well down into my glass.

It's so cold in Chicago right now, I'm having a hard time warming it up which makes it hard to get a good sniff.

Taste is on the hoppy side however there are respectable amounts of sugars from the rye and thai palm sugar to make this sufficiently balanced. Tastes I pick out include grapefruit and roasted peppers?

Mouthfeel is great! I like it because it definitely is nice and light feeling making it a very refreshing beer.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Sort of a murky, rusty shade of amber, with a light khaki head and decent lace/retention. Appearance almost borders that of a brown ale.

S- Grapefruit hops up front, accompanied mostly by other citrus aromas. This is slightly floral, with the rye coming through on the back end along with some clove and candy sugar.

T- Follows the nose. Nice floral presence up front followed by a mild sweetness, and slightly bitter/dry finish. Tasty.

M- Smooth, oily, a bit dry from the hops and the rye. Would not have guessed that this is 7%, as it is very easy to drink.

O- This is a very solid brew overall. It doesn't necessarily kill it in any one aspect, but makes for a great overall package. I would certainly drink this agian.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.16/5  rDev +2%

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

I don't usually review from memory, but I went to the release party for this beer at the Hop Leaf the other day and I was really impressed. A white head topped a rusty red colored beer. It has a sweet fruity/floral smell and assertive hoppy flavor that hits you right away. As you work through the pint it develops a kind of creaminess and sweetness in back of the hop bitterness that gave it layers of flavor making me want to drink more & more. This is my new favorite beer from Two Bros. It wowed me and is going on tap at both of my establishments.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

A: rudy burnt orange and red with a really nice two fingers of off-white foam

S: piney hops almost entirely with a hint of malt at the end.

T: Much more balanced than expecting after the taking in the nose. Light carbonation and hops in the front, then predominated by nice, round malt flavors. after a few moments, the hops makes themselves known again, lingering for quite a while.

M: The carbonation and hops balance well in the mouth, with some warming from the alcohol.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

The bottle says this is a "hopped up red rye ale" and I'd say that's a pretty accurate description.

It's got a clean, dark red color with a good head and excellent lacing all the way through.

Right off the bat you can smell the piney hops.

Taste is really interesting, and not what I expected. The hops hit you up front, then fade to buttery, caramelly malts. It finishes with a nutty aftertaste that I found pleasing. Mouthfeel was good. The warmer it gets, the smoother it goes down. Carbonation was good.

It's not heavy and I could have easily had a few more. ABV is right where it should be for a beer like this.

This is my first beer from Two Brothers, but I hope it won't be last. I haven't been able to find it here in Cincinnati. More trips to Chicago!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep, murky rusty color with red on the edges. The carbonation literally hangs in limbo near the top, giving this wonderfully hearty appearance. Thick soapy head that leaves a hearty lace that sticks around to the last drop.

S - Spicy, floral scent that ends with a great grain profile. I swear I can smell cream in the scent as well. It's an awesome combo.

T - I don't know where to begin, the complexity is great in this beer. All the promises the aroma makes make good in the taste, with a great rye spice and bitterness that is incredibly enjoyable. I never thought I would catch the palm sugar in this brew, but it's definitely present, and works great with the rest of the flavors.

M - Creamy as hell, and I love it. rolls around on my tongue and is almost as present and important as the taste.

D - Damn this beer is deceiving. Can't even begin to detect a 7% ABV. Not something I could drink 10 of in a night given the ABV, despite me wanting to. But I would take this rye beer every chance I could get it. The sweetness rounds out that spicy/hoppy flavor so nicely.

This is my favorite Two Brothers beer to date. The complexity in its smell and taste rocks, and the experience drinking this beer is just all around enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours a deep amber color with very little head, but leaves behind lots of sticky lacing.

S - Smells of toasted bready malts, fruity hops & spice from the rye.

T - Touch of caramel & citrus rind hit the palate first, followed by spicy rye & fruity hops.

M - Smooth and creamy.

O - Great beer, good balance of sweetness & bitterness.

Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company