Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,522 | Reviews: 613
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by October 2010) into a tulip glass.

Pours a dark brown with some hints of red, with a small white head which leaves lacing on the sides.

Smell is strong on grassy and citrusy hops, and somewhat sweet/sugary.

Taste has a nice sweet and sugary malty base, with a good mix of grassy hops. The hops linger on the tongue and leave a bitter taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is medium/high. This is a good tasting beer that goes down pretty easy. Not a super high ABV so I could see having a couple of these.

3.52/5  rDev -13.7%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Yum, Yum, excellent Rye and with a great red hue. Excellent Beer.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark dark amber color
S: Smells great! Not too strong.
T: Good taste. I think I let it get too cold but I can taste the rye in it and the hops and malt have a great balance.
M: The Mouthfeel is about average with this type of beer. A little harsh but I think the coldness is adding to that. I should have let this one sit.
D: This is a great beer. I wouldn't mind a sixer of this.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up by a friend on a road trip.

Pours a deep mahogany color with good carbonation.

Smell has just a mild rye smell to it. Considering I'm not a fan of rye bread, I'm beginning to question why I'm drinking this beer.

Seems to be a well-crafted beer. The style isn't for me but I can still appreciate the quality.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle attained from Costco in 24 bottle variety pack into a nonic.

Label reads "Best by 6/2/10"

this beer has color that might best be described as burgundy. there is a respectable amount of carbonation leading up to a finger of head that dissipates quickly but there is still enough to create lacing well down into my glass.

It's so cold in Chicago right now, I'm having a hard time warming it up which makes it hard to get a good sniff.

Taste is on the hoppy side however there are respectable amounts of sugars from the rye and thai palm sugar to make this sufficiently balanced. Tastes I pick out include grapefruit and roasted peppers?

Mouthfeel is great! I like it because it definitely is nice and light feeling making it a very refreshing beer.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Sort of a murky, rusty shade of amber, with a light khaki head and decent lace/retention. Appearance almost borders that of a brown ale.

S- Grapefruit hops up front, accompanied mostly by other citrus aromas. This is slightly floral, with the rye coming through on the back end along with some clove and candy sugar.

T- Follows the nose. Nice floral presence up front followed by a mild sweetness, and slightly bitter/dry finish. Tasty.

M- Smooth, oily, a bit dry from the hops and the rye. Would not have guessed that this is 7%, as it is very easy to drink.

O- This is a very solid brew overall. It doesn't necessarily kill it in any one aspect, but makes for a great overall package. I would certainly drink this agian.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.16/5  rDev +2%

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

I don't usually review from memory, but I went to the release party for this beer at the Hop Leaf the other day and I was really impressed. A white head topped a rusty red colored beer. It has a sweet fruity/floral smell and assertive hoppy flavor that hits you right away. As you work through the pint it develops a kind of creaminess and sweetness in back of the hop bitterness that gave it layers of flavor making me want to drink more & more. This is my new favorite beer from Two Bros. It wowed me and is going on tap at both of my establishments.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company