2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Cane & EbelCane & Ebel

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,230 | Reviews: 595 | Show All Ratings:
mrkrispy

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My first beer from Two Brothers.

Pours a dark copper/red, cloudy. Really foamy, woah! Big ol foam hangs out for most of the beer.

Big sweet malty nose, almost shocking. No hop backbone or balance.

Wow sugary at first, then it gets interesting. Malts everywhere, noticeable sugar sweetness. Caramel sugar sweetness, brown sugar? Chocolate there. Moderate-to-full body. Nice silky rye character. Bitterness creeps up on you, surprising based on the initial sweetness. Foam clings to the beer, to the tongue, to the glass. Slightly odd sweetness and twang on the finish.

08-19-2009 22:29:28 | More by mrkrispy
osusullins

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

One of my favorite chicagoland beers. I love C&E. In my opinion this is the best of all the Two Brothers' beers, and I really like a few of there offerings. I keep a six pack in my fridge at all times.

Pours a deep amber with a nice thick,creamy white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell is bready with some pine resin and citrus undertones.

Hoppy bitterness begins the palate's journey with pine up front with a good solid bready backbone. A well balanced and very solid take on a Rye P.A. I can drink this everyday and not get tired of it.

10-31-2011 04:20:00 | More by osusullins
bigbluebeerguy

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Muddy red, almost chestnut in color. Frothy, two-finger light beige head that leaves a thick, sticky lacing.

Nose is pine, caramel sweetness, and a touch of grassiness.

Taste follows the nose pretty well. An initial, fleeting sweetness gives way to some nice hop flavor and bitterness. Sweetness comes around more as the beer warms, and I begin picking up some hints of tobacco.

Medium body and carbonation, the hop resins seem to coat the tongue. Fairly dry finish.

I could drink several of these in a sitting. Overall very well balanced, and the ABV seems to be hidden fairly well.

12-07-2011 02:10:40 | More by bigbluebeerguy
fo5s

District of Columbia

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into my trust sam adams glass. Bottle has a best by of 6/30/09, so I wonder how fresh this is.

A- pours a deep ruby with a healthy 2 finger head. Looks delicious. A bit dark for an amber, but according to BA this is a rye beer so that seems to fit

S- malty, with a backdrop of hops (losing the battle to the malts). sweet.

T- sweet, but balanced. malt forward with a finish of muted hops. Slight twang of rye on the finish, but it's subtle

M- thick, coats the mouth. lively carbonation, but seemingly appropriate.

D- at 7%, I'd expect some more drinkability. The rye is starting to get to me by the end of just a 12oz

overall a solid beer, but not one I plan to revisit soon. If I do, I'd love to compare it to a fresher version.

05-18-2009 01:33:29 | More by fo5s
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

4.14/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark amber and copper color, slightly clouded, no head but plenty of lace

S: You can smell hops, malt and a hint of sugar

T: wow, this is quite a combination! This beer kicks you right in the taste buds in a way I was not expecting when I first tried this at the brewery. Even though it’s not exactly the highest IBU IPA in the world, it certainly is a bitter one; the combination of the hops they used to pair with the rye certainly makes a strong combination. The finish is extremely long lasting and the bitter hop flavor stays for a long time.

O: When I first tried this at the brewery I was blown away, it was so aggressive and intense. I quickly fell in love with it and walked over to the counter and bought one of their “Cane and Ebel” T-shirts right away. I’ve introduced this beer to a few beer drinkers and non-beer drinkers alike and there are always mixed reactions, but either way once you have this beer you’ll remember it.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ

01-20-2014 16:18:56 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
Med

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the drafting room

A - Cola brown with a red tinge to it. Little head but nice lacing. Very appetizing.

S - Rye and roasted barley with some black currant. A little sweet. Maybe some grape stems.

T - A little subdued when cold but as it warmed some wonderful sweet malt and rye with no real noticeable alcohol. A little dark fruit at the finish. Not much hop profile to speak of.

M - Medium with slight coating. Decent carbonation.

D - May I have another?

05-30-2008 23:11:57 | More by Med
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Served from a variety pack that I had got for christmas.

A- A maroon color with a long lasting quite impressive head.

S- this beer smells a bit piny and i also smell that this beer is going to be hoppy.

T- Taste is a pleasant surprise. The rye of this beer makes a quick punch upfront but quickly turns to a "good" bitter hoppiness.

M-Perfect amount of carbonation and seems extremely easy to go down

D- I am on my third so what does that tell you!

01-20-2010 02:17:13 | More by leakyfaucet12
akokandy

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Deep, dark copper color with a 2-finger, thick, creamy, tan head. Foam dies down after a few minutes, but leaves good lacing all the way down. Not much live carbonation.

S- Citrus, especially a kind of floral/grapefruit combination.

T- Absolutely no alcohol flavor. Floral notes, but dominated by citrus hop flavors. Very hoppy for the listed 68 IBU rating. I think the rye flavor brings it out. There's a great grapefruit/orange flavor that I can't get enough of. Great bite at the finish and spice in the aftertaste. Really an in-your-face beer packed with flavor.

M- Great body, and I think the lack of carbonation works well with the full body.

D- Tastes great, but a 4-pack in a night is as much as I can do. Not a bad session beer, but there's so much flavor, it's tough to keep drinking.

01-15-2009 00:58:16 | More by akokandy
tconboy

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark brown amber with nice thick lacing and a nice tan head. Smells of rye and dank hops. Nice malty flavor and hoppy smoothness. Smooth medium carbonation finishes nice and dry. New to the style but this was definitely an enjoyable brew. Recommended.

02-01-2009 08:36:50 | More by tconboy
fdkayti

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Pours a fantastic looking chestnut brown with hints of red. Fluffy Off-white head, lacing on the glass from top to bottom. A real beauty.

S- Hoppy and citrusy. Spicy.

T- Has a spicy sweetness to it. Zesty like a lemon peel. Rye, hops, subtle maltiness. Fantastic aftertaste.

M- Sticks around between sips, can't get it outta my mouth. Good carbonation. Light to medium heavy.

O/D- Dangerously easy to put down. Remains one of my favorites for any occasion. Too bad duff27 isn't here to partake.

06-01-2011 20:42:51 | More by fdkayti
johanvond

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Cane and Eble started out with a tall creamy head with pleanty of bubbles. It sits tall over a clean dark amber body. Great lacing acompanies an aroma of plumbs, brown sugar, alcohol and some hop aroma. The body is moderately thick with a pleasant almost creamy mouthfeel. Cane and Eble displays a great balence of toasty rye malt and hops. There are undertones of plumbs and dark fruit sweetness. The progression of flavor on your pallet goes as such, fruit, rye, hops, with a carmel, hop,and fruit aftertaste.
Try it with Soba noodles, veggies and tofu in a garlic sesame sauce.

07-26-2008 23:05:36 | More by johanvond
granite

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +8%

22oz bottle poured into an English pint glass. Thanks Dan

A---It poured a dark copper with a thin head.

S---Burnt sugar, molasses, floral hops and phenols.

T---Starts off very malty with toffee sweetness. Followed by spice from the rye malt contribution and citrus hops. It finished with slightly warming alcohol. I found it to be very delicious.

M---Medium to full bodied with a silky texture.

D---I wish I had access to this on a regular basis because it is amazing.

03-05-2007 14:07:02 | More by granite
wrycon

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Reddish-mahogany in appearance, with more amber tones on the edges. About half a finger of off-white head. Good lacing and minor retention. Smells good. A musky, grainy earthiness mixed with roasted malt. Not overly pungent, but sufficiently aromatic. Quite a good brew. Initial hop bite that's semi-piney. That gives way to a full malt and rye middle that tactfully builds toward the end. Back end is sharp but creamy and allows the piney hop notes to re-emerge in the mouthfeel. A very flavorful brew that's not boastful. A solid take on the rye ale.

Like It? Very Much So

01-25-2012 02:09:38 | More by wrycon
icefisherman

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Poored a dark brown caramel color, not going to lie kind thew me off.nose was kinda weak slight hops kinda peak thru. Also kinda dissapointed to me the rye was not what I was expecting but still not bad. Would drink it again and probably will. Almost more like a ipa than a rye, atleast to me.

07-18-2009 02:46:58 | More by icefisherman
DanThomas

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

A- Beautiful mahogany brown, clear, thin white head, heavy lacing. This beer looks great. I had a sampling of this beer on-tap at the brewery and I liked it so much I picked up a six-pack. This review comes from the bottle.

S- A lot of hops on the nose, bitter and piney. There is a hint of sharp rye on the end of it, but this beer definitely smells the part of a hop bomb.

T- Very hoppy (pine flavor) and a lot of peppery rye spice, which is welcome. There is a hint of the palm sugar on the back end, just enough sweetness to provide a respite from how intensely bitter this beer is. Of the few rye beers that I've had, this one definitely takes the title for most rye flavor. I, for one, would not mind it if they pulled back on the hops and the bitterness a little bit; it practically makes the mouth pucker.

M- Medium bodied beer with a sharp, refreshing carbonation.

D- It's hard to drink more than one of these with the high alcohol and the intense bitterness, but I love this beer for its rye flavor and uniqueness. It really stands out, and if it was readily available here it would be my go-to for a DIPA (yes, it's that well-hopped). Also, if you get the chance the brewery and the tour are both a great experience.

01-24-2011 21:44:25 | More by DanThomas
thebarnesbomb

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a deep ruby with an off-white rocky foam head, some of which clings to the glass on its way down. Rye malts are prevalent in the nose, though the hops take a close second. The same goes for the taste, too; the rye pairs perfectly with how bitter this brew is. Dry finish, and the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I would expect. Overall this is an exceptional beer from Two Bros, a brewery that's soon becoming one of my local favorites.

09-30-2011 03:15:12 | More by thebarnesbomb
ghostee

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by October 2010) into a tulip glass.

Pours a dark brown with some hints of red, with a small white head which leaves lacing on the sides.

Smell is strong on grassy and citrusy hops, and somewhat sweet/sugary.

Taste has a nice sweet and sugary malty base, with a good mix of grassy hops. The hops linger on the tongue and leave a bitter taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is medium/high. This is a good tasting beer that goes down pretty easy. Not a super high ABV so I could see having a couple of these.

05-13-2010 03:12:30 | More by ghostee
BrewIndy

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark dark amber color
S: Smells great! Not too strong.
T: Good taste. I think I let it get too cold but I can taste the rye in it and the hops and malt have a great balance.
M: The Mouthfeel is about average with this type of beer. A little harsh but I think the coldness is adding to that. I should have let this one sit.
D: This is a great beer. I wouldn't mind a sixer of this.

06-12-2009 21:43:36 | More by BrewIndy
jpalarchio

Picked up by a friend on a road trip.

Pours a deep mahogany color with good carbonation.

Smell has just a mild rye smell to it. Considering I'm not a fan of rye bread, I'm beginning to question why I'm drinking this beer.

Seems to be a well-crafted beer. The style isn't for me but I can still appreciate the quality.

01-26-2009 02:28:39 | More by jpalarchio
zrbeer1579

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had this beer before. Just wanted wait until I get a super fresh 6pk of this beer.

Appearance: Deep crimson-amber with a one finger light tan head

Aroma: Sugar sweet peppery rye. In the background hops are mostly floral with very little citrus.

Taste: Similar to the smell. Sweet peppery rye, with floral/light citrus hops. A little bit of caramel malt. Sometimes, there is a light toasted rye breadiness in the finish which then turn into the hops' bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Median bodied with median carbonation. Slightly sticky. Soft hop bitterness that lingers very shortly. Easy to drinker.

Overall: I enjoy this beer. The Thai palm sugar adds an interesting sweetness and flavor to the beer. Neither does the rye or hops dominate over each others.

01-15-2013 00:31:27 | More by zrbeer1579
murphysbleachers

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

I don't usually review from memory, but I went to the release party for this beer at the Hop Leaf the other day and I was really impressed. A white head topped a rusty red colored beer. It has a sweet fruity/floral smell and assertive hoppy flavor that hits you right away. As you work through the pint it develops a kind of creaminess and sweetness in back of the hop bitterness that gave it layers of flavor making me want to drink more & more. This is my new favorite beer from Two Bros. It wowed me and is going on tap at both of my establishments.

05-14-2006 16:08:35 | More by murphysbleachers
JoshuaJ

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

The bottle says this is a "hopped up red rye ale" and I'd say that's a pretty accurate description.

It's got a clean, dark red color with a good head and excellent lacing all the way through.

Right off the bat you can smell the piney hops.

Taste is really interesting, and not what I expected. The hops hit you up front, then fade to buttery, caramelly malts. It finishes with a nutty aftertaste that I found pleasing. Mouthfeel was good. The warmer it gets, the smoother it goes down. Carbonation was good.

It's not heavy and I could have easily had a few more. ABV is right where it should be for a beer like this.

This is my first beer from Two Brothers, but I hope it won't be last. I haven't been able to find it here in Cincinnati. More trips to Chicago!

05-20-2009 04:56:13 | More by JoshuaJ
Murphious

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Color is dark, rusty, red-brown. I didn't pour it, so the head was a bit weak. From the carbonation when I first sipped it, I am sure the foam would have been really nice. The aroma was fantastic! Could really smell the rye and hops. I could sense a little sweetness, maybe a green apple aroma/flavor? Slighlty fruity, I guess. It's a very complex flavor and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a bit 'rich' for me, I don't think I could drink more than one 'nursed' 12oz.
I may try some again in the winter with it warm to room temp.

08-28-2010 21:45:40 | More by Murphious
muskabeatz

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Sort of a murky, rusty shade of amber, with a light khaki head and decent lace/retention. Appearance almost borders that of a brown ale.

S- Grapefruit hops up front, accompanied mostly by other citrus aromas. This is slightly floral, with the rye coming through on the back end along with some clove and candy sugar.

T- Follows the nose. Nice floral presence up front followed by a mild sweetness, and slightly bitter/dry finish. Tasty.

M- Smooth, oily, a bit dry from the hops and the rye. Would not have guessed that this is 7%, as it is very easy to drink.

O- This is a very solid brew overall. It doesn't necessarily kill it in any one aspect, but makes for a great overall package. I would certainly drink this agian.

12-08-2011 03:29:44 | More by muskabeatz
quinnsi

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

A: rudy burnt orange and red with a really nice two fingers of off-white foam

S: piney hops almost entirely with a hint of malt at the end.

T: Much more balanced than expecting after the taking in the nose. Light carbonation and hops in the front, then predominated by nice, round malt flavors. after a few moments, the hops makes themselves known again, lingering for quite a while.

M: The carbonation and hops balance well in the mouth, with some warming from the alcohol.

Serving type: growler