Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,561 | Reviews: 620
4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

One of my favorite chicagoland beers. I love C&E. In my opinion this is the best of all the Two Brothers' beers, and I really like a few of there offerings. I keep a six pack in my fridge at all times.

Pours a deep amber with a nice thick,creamy white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell is bready with some pine resin and citrus undertones.

Hoppy bitterness begins the palate's journey with pine up front with a good solid bready backbone. A well balanced and very solid take on a Rye P.A. I can drink this everyday and not get tired of it.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a very good beer. Bready, hoppy, lacy. Pours a nice dark amber, the smell is heavily bready. Lacing on the glass is the most I've ever seen, now that I'm looking at this empty glass the lacing remains all the way up to the top, it's incredible. The feel and texture is perfectly balanced, very comforting drink. Drinkability is very high as this is a very well balanced and flavorful beer.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark amber and copper color, slightly clouded, no head but plenty of lace

S: You can smell hops, malt and a hint of sugar

T: wow, this is quite a combination! This beer kicks you right in the taste buds in a way I was not expecting when I first tried this at the brewery. Even though it’s not exactly the highest IBU IPA in the world, it certainly is a bitter one; the combination of the hops they used to pair with the rye certainly makes a strong combination. The finish is extremely long lasting and the bitter hop flavor stays for a long time.

O: When I first tried this at the brewery I was blown away, it was so aggressive and intense. I quickly fell in love with it and walked over to the counter and bought one of their “Cane and Ebel” T-shirts right away. I’ve introduced this beer to a few beer drinkers and non-beer drinkers alike and there are always mixed reactions, but either way once you have this beer you’ll remember it.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My first beer from Two Brothers.

Pours a dark copper/red, cloudy. Really foamy, woah! Big ol foam hangs out for most of the beer.

Big sweet malty nose, almost shocking. No hop backbone or balance.

Wow sugary at first, then it gets interesting. Malts everywhere, noticeable sugar sweetness. Caramel sugar sweetness, brown sugar? Chocolate there. Moderate-to-full body. Nice silky rye character. Bitterness creeps up on you, surprising based on the initial sweetness. Foam clings to the beer, to the tongue, to the glass. Slightly odd sweetness and twang on the finish.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very dark almost brown with slight amber. Thin head that left a little lacing

Has a sweet rye smell.

Taste is strong rye with a with a nice subtle hop finish(not as hoppy as other rye's I've had). This would make a good session beer for me because of the smooth taste, although the ABV is a little high for a session.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at the drafting room

A - Cola brown with a red tinge to it. Little head but nice lacing. Very appetizing.

S - Rye and roasted barley with some black currant. A little sweet. Maybe some grape stems.

T - A little subdued when cold but as it warmed some wonderful sweet malt and rye with no real noticeable alcohol. A little dark fruit at the finish. Not much hop profile to speak of.

M - Medium with slight coating. Decent carbonation.

D - May I have another?

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark brown amber with nice thick lacing and a nice tan head. Smells of rye and dank hops. Nice malty flavor and hoppy smoothness. Smooth medium carbonation finishes nice and dry. New to the style but this was definitely an enjoyable brew. Recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Served from a variety pack that I had got for christmas.

A- A maroon color with a long lasting quite impressive head.

S- this beer smells a bit piny and i also smell that this beer is going to be hoppy.

T- Taste is a pleasant surprise. The rye of this beer makes a quick punch upfront but quickly turns to a "good" bitter hoppiness.

M-Perfect amount of carbonation and seems extremely easy to go down

D- I am on my third so what does that tell you!

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
A-dark copper/brown color
S-Complex mix of spicy rye, citrusy hops, and some malt
T-Great mix of bitter hops and spicy rye with just a bit of sweetness.
M-very smooth and almost light feel--easy drinking
O-this is a fantastic beer, very complex, excellent combo of hoppiness and rye, this is definitely one of my new favorites

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Pours a fantastic looking chestnut brown with hints of red. Fluffy Off-white head, lacing on the glass from top to bottom. A real beauty.

S- Hoppy and citrusy. Spicy.

T- Has a spicy sweetness to it. Zesty like a lemon peel. Rye, hops, subtle maltiness. Fantastic aftertaste.

M- Sticks around between sips, can't get it outta my mouth. Good carbonation. Light to medium heavy.

O/D- Dangerously easy to put down. Remains one of my favorites for any occasion. Too bad duff27 isn't here to partake.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Deep, dark copper color with a 2-finger, thick, creamy, tan head. Foam dies down after a few minutes, but leaves good lacing all the way down. Not much live carbonation.

S- Citrus, especially a kind of floral/grapefruit combination.

T- Absolutely no alcohol flavor. Floral notes, but dominated by citrus hop flavors. Very hoppy for the listed 68 IBU rating. I think the rye flavor brings it out. There's a great grapefruit/orange flavor that I can't get enough of. Great bite at the finish and spice in the aftertaste. Really an in-your-face beer packed with flavor.

M- Great body, and I think the lack of carbonation works well with the full body.

D- Tastes great, but a 4-pack in a night is as much as I can do. Not a bad session beer, but there's so much flavor, it's tough to keep drinking.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

This was my second crack at a red rye. I really enjoy the founders rye beer so I thought I would give another rye a try!!!

A - Just as I would picture the beer to be a nice amber with a pretty thick head. Unlike what others have described the head to be. Eventually the foam lowered, but never went away.

S - A sweet smell to it. You can pick out the sugar cane. I can't quite pick out what else this beer brings out. Unusual and I liked it.

T - Hops and malts work together, but didn't bring a lot to the table. I could taste the caramel, but after that it gets lost.

M - Pretty well carbonated, not overwhelming though.

D - I would drink these all night. Maybe I'm just not a rye fan.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Cane and Eble started out with a tall creamy head with pleanty of bubbles. It sits tall over a clean dark amber body. Great lacing acompanies an aroma of plumbs, brown sugar, alcohol and some hop aroma. The body is moderately thick with a pleasant almost creamy mouthfeel. Cane and Eble displays a great balence of toasty rye malt and hops. There are undertones of plumbs and dark fruit sweetness. The progression of flavor on your pallet goes as such, fruit, rye, hops, with a carmel, hop,and fruit aftertaste.
Try it with Soba noodles, veggies and tofu in a garlic sesame sauce.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

reviewed 6/18/13
poured into pint glass

L: Dark amber mahogany color, about 1 inch of head...lacing along edges
S: rye, and citrus
T: hops up front, slightly bitter. Rye spice and malty sweetness follows. Rye hangs in the aftertaste.
F: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. nothing off here.
O: Solid, refreshing, flavorful beer. My first Rye, and left a good impression.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle poured into an English pint glass. Thanks Dan

A---It poured a dark copper with a thin head.

S---Burnt sugar, molasses, floral hops and phenols.

T---Starts off very malty with toffee sweetness. Followed by spice from the rye malt contribution and citrus hops. It finished with slightly warming alcohol. I found it to be very delicious.

M---Medium to full bodied with a silky texture.

D---I wish I had access to this on a regular basis because it is amazing.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

A- Beautiful mahogany brown, clear, thin white head, heavy lacing. This beer looks great. I had a sampling of this beer on-tap at the brewery and I liked it so much I picked up a six-pack. This review comes from the bottle.

S- A lot of hops on the nose, bitter and piney. There is a hint of sharp rye on the end of it, but this beer definitely smells the part of a hop bomb.

T- Very hoppy (pine flavor) and a lot of peppery rye spice, which is welcome. There is a hint of the palm sugar on the back end, just enough sweetness to provide a respite from how intensely bitter this beer is. Of the few rye beers that I've had, this one definitely takes the title for most rye flavor. I, for one, would not mind it if they pulled back on the hops and the bitterness a little bit; it practically makes the mouth pucker.

M- Medium bodied beer with a sharp, refreshing carbonation.

D- It's hard to drink more than one of these with the high alcohol and the intense bitterness, but I love this beer for its rye flavor and uniqueness. It really stands out, and if it was readily available here it would be my go-to for a DIPA (yes, it's that well-hopped). Also, if you get the chance the brewery and the tour are both a great experience.

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bear Republic's Hop Rod is a solid rival, so if you like it, you'll like this one!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a deep ruby with an off-white rocky foam head, some of which clings to the glass on its way down. Rye malts are prevalent in the nose, though the hops take a close second. The same goes for the taste, too; the rye pairs perfectly with how bitter this brew is. Dry finish, and the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I would expect. Overall this is an exceptional beer from Two Bros, a brewery that's soon becoming one of my local favorites.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by October 2010) into a tulip glass.

Pours a dark brown with some hints of red, with a small white head which leaves lacing on the sides.

Smell is strong on grassy and citrusy hops, and somewhat sweet/sugary.

Taste has a nice sweet and sugary malty base, with a good mix of grassy hops. The hops linger on the tongue and leave a bitter taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is medium/high. This is a good tasting beer that goes down pretty easy. Not a super high ABV so I could see having a couple of these.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Yum, Yum, excellent Rye and with a great red hue. Excellent Beer.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark dark amber color
S: Smells great! Not too strong.
T: Good taste. I think I let it get too cold but I can taste the rye in it and the hops and malt have a great balance.
M: The Mouthfeel is about average with this type of beer. A little harsh but I think the coldness is adding to that. I should have let this one sit.
D: This is a great beer. I wouldn't mind a sixer of this.

Picked up by a friend on a road trip.

Pours a deep mahogany color with good carbonation.

Smell has just a mild rye smell to it. Considering I'm not a fan of rye bread, I'm beginning to question why I'm drinking this beer.

Seems to be a well-crafted beer. The style isn't for me but I can still appreciate the quality.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle attained from Costco in 24 bottle variety pack into a nonic.

Label reads "Best by 6/2/10"

this beer has color that might best be described as burgundy. there is a respectable amount of carbonation leading up to a finger of head that dissipates quickly but there is still enough to create lacing well down into my glass.

It's so cold in Chicago right now, I'm having a hard time warming it up which makes it hard to get a good sniff.

Taste is on the hoppy side however there are respectable amounts of sugars from the rye and thai palm sugar to make this sufficiently balanced. Tastes I pick out include grapefruit and roasted peppers?

Mouthfeel is great! I like it because it definitely is nice and light feeling making it a very refreshing beer.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Sort of a murky, rusty shade of amber, with a light khaki head and decent lace/retention. Appearance almost borders that of a brown ale.

S- Grapefruit hops up front, accompanied mostly by other citrus aromas. This is slightly floral, with the rye coming through on the back end along with some clove and candy sugar.

T- Follows the nose. Nice floral presence up front followed by a mild sweetness, and slightly bitter/dry finish. Tasty.

M- Smooth, oily, a bit dry from the hops and the rye. Would not have guessed that this is 7%, as it is very easy to drink.

O- This is a very solid brew overall. It doesn't necessarily kill it in any one aspect, but makes for a great overall package. I would certainly drink this agian.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

I don't usually review from memory, but I went to the release party for this beer at the Hop Leaf the other day and I was really impressed. A white head topped a rusty red colored beer. It has a sweet fruity/floral smell and assertive hoppy flavor that hits you right away. As you work through the pint it develops a kind of creaminess and sweetness in back of the hop bitterness that gave it layers of flavor making me want to drink more & more. This is my new favorite beer from Two Bros. It wowed me and is going on tap at both of my establishments.

Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company