Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cane & Ebel Alström Bros
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 1,605
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

$5.49 for a single 1pt, .6oz brown bottle with pry off cap from UFS. 7% ABV listed on label. Only date on bottle is 2006. This is a limited edition brewed once.

I noticed a nice wisp when prying off the cap. It poured into my large 23oz beer glass a dark amber brown color with light red & copper highlights. It produces a nice off white tight creamy head that left nice scattered lacewing to the finish.

The very first thing I noticed was the very well balanced smell of floral and green hops. The smell of caramel malts was very present and pleasantly rich.

The taste was great in so many ways. I noticed the rich taste of Carmel, malt & vanilla cream with a hint of rye nip. Then the nice green hop flavors took over with just a slight bitter finish. After it started warming I noticed more fruity flavors like bananas & peach or apricot. No real over powering alcohol taste at all.

This is a very drinkable IPA; I just wish I picked up two. If you're able to find a bottle I highly recommend it. Check my beer spy report for more details.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Served in a tulip from a bottle.

A: Dark brown. Started with a decent head that didn't last. This one has a little bit of lacing but not much.

S: The spice is really standing out. I'm not getting any hops...spicy!

T: I'm getting sugar and malt. I'm not picking up the hops other than the bitter finish. Could just be my bottle. Who knows.

M: Very creamy. It also has a sort of metallic quality. I'm really beginning to think I have a bad bottle.

D: It's OK. I wouldn't want more than one or two. It's a big beer.

Overall: It's passable. There are many other beers I'd rather drink but this one was fine. I'd like to try a different bottle to see if mine was "off".

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Served from a 12 oz bottle

A- Dark red with garnet hues, clear, head retention light, slight lacing

S- Caramel, plums, sweet candi, cherry, dried fruit, some hops but not much, the dark fruit character prevails

T- Nice and balanced, has a heavy caramel taste that is brought into check with a nice hop balance. Nice spiciness from the rye malt. Finishes clean and smooth for as highly hopped that it is.

M- Medium to medium high carbonation with medium-thick to thick body.

D- Very drinkable for being 7% and 63IBUs, very balanced, nice

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured in an imperial pint. Pours a deep copper red.

Excellent dry hop in the nose, grain and molasses.

Taste demonstrates an excellent balance hop and malt, hiding a moderately high abv for the style.

This beer is the highlight of the variety 24 pack from Costco and a long time go to beer. I was pleased when they added it to their year round lineup, and switched it from four to six pack without increasing the price.

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Received in a trade from noslenwerd, many thanks!

Nice reddish caramel color with a 3 finger fluffy off-white head. the head never completely dissipates, lacing is left around the glass. This is beautiful.

Not getting any rye here, but there is a pleasant sweetness that usually I only find is bourbon barrel aged beers. Kind of a vanilla/coconut type of malty sweetness. Maybe a bit of a grassy aroma as well.

Definitely on the sweet side of things, but very very well balanced with the hops. Has a complex tropical sugar/caramel/lightly toastiness to the flavor, with some hop bitterness and slight dryness in the finish. Really good, not getting a lot of distinct flavors from the hops, but the rest more than makes up for it.

Very smooth and creamy, medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Definitely coats my entire mouth with all of it's flavors and sweet goodness. Excellent.

Overall- I would've liked this to maybe lower the ending bitterness in the flavor, and perhaps let more of the hop flavors to shine through. All in all though, this is an excellent beer. I wish it were distributed here!

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is pours a beautiful deep red/dark brownish color with a nice cream head that rises just over an inch in the glass. The smell is very nice, previews the hop taste that is to come with your first sip. A nice balance hop taste with a great malted barley taste. It's a complex flavored beer but not so bold that someone who doesn't get into the super bold beer styles shouldn't like it. Very well balanced and smooth drinking. Having mine with some popcorn lol and it goes awesome. A very good brew, my favorite two brothers brew so far.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Thank you Crushedvol! Love getting bottles of stuff I've never heard of!

Beautiful ruby color, crystal clear with vigorous head formation. The head itself is an ivory color. Very pretty beer.

Smells...unexpected. Lots of tropical fruit and a bit of Grapefruit-type citrus. Very subtle maltyness that comes across mostly as grainy/cereal. A touch of fruity yeast. Very nice.

Tastes of the same tropical fruits but the malt kicks in on the palate. The rye is quite present but not overly dominant as with many rye forward beers. Very well balanced. This has the hop-fix of a west coast ipa but really brings in the malt in all the right ways. Superbly balanced and reminiscent of a very well made strong ale.

Mouthfeel is creamy and fairly thick, but the sharpness of the hopping along with the higher carbonation keep it lighter feeling. Just about perfect, really.

This beer is highly drinkable. Goes down easy and is substantial enough without becoming heavy. At 7% this is one that could be consumed all evening. very enjoyable. It encompasses about everything I look for in an easy drinking beverage. Can't stress enough the care taken to create pleasing balance in Cane and Ebel.

Another singles rack selection from one of my local beer stores. Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel Snifter with about 1 cm of head and a dark amber color.

The nose has some great pine and citrus notes with a hint of caramel.

The taste is nice and malty with a great hop presence to back it up. The bitterness is nice and subtle. There is a decent amount of residual sweetness, but it's not overbearing or cloying.

The mouthfeel is nice, a bit fuller than you'd typically see in the style, but not necessarily over the top. The light carbonation makes the beer super smooth and definitely easy to drink.

Overall, this is another great hoppy rye ale. A style I am definitely in love with. It's not quite on par with Founder's Red's Rye, but close. Good stuff.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Served in a pint glass.

A: Deep caramel colored liquid with a oatmeal-hued head about an inch thick, that dissipated quickly. Tightly packed tiny bubbles with persistent lacing.

S: Has a very pleasant floral smell with a dash of citron scent. It has a mild aroma, but it is very pleasing.

T: Tastes sharp on the tip of the tongue and the top of the soft palate, but not too harsh. Continuation of citrus notes throughout, light hints of aged cheese, bitter hop finish on the sides of the tongue.

M: Very smooth and thin. Very little carbonation and therefore a very mild drink. Easy on the throat.

D: Very easy to drink, but has a strong flavor. Would be a good complement to red meat or deeply colored sauces. Perhaps would not drink it by itself.

Overall: A pleasing beer, but you must be in the mood for a stronger, darker flavor. The aroma is quite nice.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

served from bottle

A - beautiful bright red colour, with head that disapears almost instantly

S - Reminds me off a passion-fruit-like smell nothing too overpowering

Taste - hops hit you immediately in the begining and fills your mouth with flavor, slight taste of rye at the end

M/D - the taste is full and enjoyable, you would not know that this is 7% if you didnt read the label.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

Swilllover bought me a bottle of this...what a pal. He's the one that turned me on to this brewery after last year's Taste of the Midwest when he tried this Red Rye and pretty much freaked out about it. We were able to get their Domaine du Page here at the restaurant and I really really like that. I've also since tried the PA, the IPA and their Golden Path, and none have disappointed. Pretty excited about this one. Poured from their bomber into a pint glass.

A - 1" head on a normal pour. It's head is dimpled like a golf ball and is creating fault lines as it slooowly fades. Brew is bright red, as red as a Christmas light. Extremely tight lacing -- so tight that I almost shouldn't call it lacing.

S - It has the nice dry scent of hops -- good piny hops that combined very well with the bread-like yeast aroma. Inviting.

T - What a unique and favorable combo -- the deep roasted, bready malts with the strong pine tree hops. I'm liking this even more as I go. It tastes quite strong, but some of its more interesting flavors are kind of hidden -- there's a soft alium flavor (like roasted garlic or grilled scallions), then there's a subtle but distinctive taste of kind bud (hey, it's what it tastes like -- whatdaya do?) and, finally, there's a faint cinnamon tone in the way back that strikes me like Big Red gum.

M - This is a tangy, a little sticky and rather hot (I think that's the KB and cinnamon showing their presence), but its still relatively smooth.

D - My face is pretty warm after one large bottle. I really like this beer, but I think I'd have to quit after two 12oz's and switch to something like a lager with a bit more cooling maltiness to it -- kind of like how it helps to have milk with spicy food.

F - This would pair with cheeses that have a strong, dry tangy bite to them like Morbier, Camerbert or, around here, any cheese aged in Love Tree Farms' caves (that includes Fenceline and some Natural Valley cheeses in addition to the LTF classics). Overall, this would be a good pick for most cheese plates as long as there isn't a heavy emphasis on deeper umami cheeses like gruyere or its ilk. This could take to some stronger fish as long as there's a nice deep grain going along with it: brown rice, wild rice, farro or quinoa. There's also enough hop here to match with spicy tomato-based flavors (chili, salsa, sambals, etc.) I'd make: Grilled Alaskan king salmon with wilted arugula, garlic-infused brown rice, and spicy tomato sambal.

O - What a fun beer. I really hope that continue to make this beer. This is also an impressive combination that I would like to see more breweries give a shot at -- hopped-up rye. It's unique, flavorful and would go very well with the proper foods. As I said, it's not the most sessionable beer on the planet, but it has a strange elegance that would keep me coming back for more.

Had a bottle a restaurant near me. The server had no idea what it was or how to explain it to me, so it was a total surprise when I poured it in and sampled. Excellent hop aroma on the nose with a hint of rye. Both hop and rye flavors are well-balanced all the way through, with the grainy sourness of the rye blending well with the citrusy hops. The finish is smooth, and the flavors linger pleasantly for quite a while after the sip. All in all, a very good beer for any climate or any season. The numerous flavors and the way they bend and balance is great.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Had (and often have) at the two brothers brewery after an exquisite tour. Was very excited to finally have it on tap, at the source no less and was more than pleased. Exceptional appearance and smell coming out, perfect reddish caramel color with a good sweet smell with a hint of rye and a nice two finger, foamy white head. The taste was even better, an intense citrus hop flavor at first followed by a sweet, smooth malt finish. Well balanced, neither too bitter nor too sweet with a good rye tone through out it. Can't recommend this beer enough.
I really do wish it was getting more attention then their Domain Dupage, which although almost as good, does not have the unique personality and flavor to itself like this beer does.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Cane & Ebel pours a striking, dark red color with a thin white head. The nose is almost overwhelmed by citrusy, fragrant hops, but there is something lingering under the surface that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps, this taste is sweetness from the malt or a combination of aromas. It's kind of funky, but surprisingly appealing.

The beer tastes a lot like it smells. It starts out with a smooth, caramel maltiness that is overpowered by a hoppy finish. Like the smell, there is an interesting, funky taste on the surface, maybe a combination of the rye and hops. The mouthfeel is quite pleasing; at first, smooth and crisp. There is a noticeable and building carbonation that dances along the palate, adding to the fun of consumption.

As a sum of its components, this is a very drinkable beer. Maybe not a great session beer, but I would like to go have another one right now.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A - a deep mahogany. Foamy head. nice appearance of carbonation

S- citrus-piney hop-godness. wiffs of toasty rye.

T-wonderfully complex. bold citrus-hops blended with toasty-carmel rye. reminscent of toasted marshmallows. the rye lingers on the palate.

M- nice body, medium with a pleasing thickness

D-I am in love with this beer. Great balance, very intriguing. The hops-rye combo makes me very happy. This beer would add an interesting demension to spicy Asian or Latin American foods.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Standard pint glass.

Apprearance: Nice red color with a cream colored head. Leaves a nice lace on the glass.

Smell: The rye, and hops really comes through, with a malty undertone. The aroma is very pleasant and certainly induces salivation.

Taste: Very nice, stronger hop flavor than I expected. I quite enjoyed the combination of rye in the malt. The hops is a nicely floral, much like you would find in a California ale.

Mouth Feel: Smooth, slight carbonation. Lacked the small alcohol bite I would expect at 7%.

Drinkability: A nice beer, I would happily enjoy a couple of these with any summer meal.

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance- Pours a deep orange brown color. 1 - 1 1/2 inch head that fades quickly.

Smell- Very bready from the rye. I pick up hints of nutmeg and orange. I feel the smell could be improved. A little heavy on the bread, not much else.

Taste- Opens up sweet and malty, get some nice bread/rye elements, and finishes with a dry bitter taste. I'm getting some orange and maybe grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- the medium body works well for the beer and the hops have a nice kick.

Drinkability - It's a nice beer. I had 1, my companion had 3. This one is really dependent on what you taste and how the character hits you. I'm big on smells, and didn't find the aroma of this beer quite as pleasing as other Ryes I've tried. It's a solid beer and would try again.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Cane and Abel has an upfront malt profile but the the rye and hops clash for a red, smoky for a red ale, would not session. The hoppy aroma is misleading to an extent but overall the beer tastes very good. Pours dark but also pours slightly 'thin'.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Brownish, clear, amber. Very light carbonation. Nice creamy head with moderate retention. Dense, fine lacing.

Strong toasted rye nose. Sugary malts. A whiff of hops.

Hops more prominent on first taste. Citrusy, hints of orange. Toasty rye emerges as it lingers. Fades to a surprisingly dry finish.

Light body. Crisp. Dry. Very little carbonation.

Cane and Ebel stands tall as an excellent showcase of the style. It's not my favorite rye, but it's up there. And it's certainly one of the easiest premium rye ales to obtain in the Midwest.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

On the hand pump at Poor Phil's.

Appearance: Brown, lots of head, decent staying power. Cellar temp.

Smell: Subtle, really. It's not good or bad, it's rather hard to pick out. But what you can pick out -- hops.

Taste: I'll say I'm not a hophead. I'm trying to gain an appreciation of hoppy beers. The hops on this particular glass just burst out. And they dominate on the finish - the bitter is palpable. It may be my non-hopheadedness, but for the style the hops certainly overtake the sour that a rye ale should present. But I'm sure hop lovers will dig this.

Mouthfeel: Like most casks, this is a delight. Love it.

Drinkability: It's not a session beer at 7%. But, again, if you like the hops, I'm sure you'll find yourself quaffing a few.

4.51/5  rDev +10.5%

Well this was my first rye beer and I had a great time with it... First the color is a deep amber, there really wasn't much of a head on is when I poured it, but slightly carbonated. The smells are very distinct, but I really liked it for the most part. The mouth feel was great, totally smooth and creamy, but had a little bite on the tongue... Will drink again!

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Mahogany color with sharp rye flavors and hoppy characteristic. Nice overall balance, but not as impressed as I thought I would be though. The thai palm sugar is a good touch, though it doesn't put it over the top for me. Above average beer but not Two Brothers best.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Warning: hops abound!

Appearance: fine head, lots of small lattice on the glass; beer was a dark translucent brown

Smell: fruity citrus hops, some sweetness

Taste: this has a very hop-forward taste, slightly bitter, but very smooth; slight cereal grain taste, probably from the rye

Mouthfeel: crisp and effervescent; kind of leaves a thick feeling

Drinkability: Hop heads should love this beer! it's smooth enough to drink a few, but tastes strong enough to stop you.

Being a hop-head, I thought this beer was phenomenal. I love the floral and citrusy hops, and it had just enough sweetness to make this a very balanced beer.

Tried this beer at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul MN recently - a very nice Rye Beer with a taste common to Amber Ales which I like ... I bought 4 bottles of this beer today at the four firkins in St. Louis Park MN ...

This beer has a bit of hoppyness and tastes to me like a bit lighter version of Surly Furious.

I would have this beer again.

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

a: dark orange amber, nearly opaque, hazy, clearly unfiltered, tan head

s: spicy, slightly fruity with dominant malt aroma

f: spicy, malty sweet, slightly fruity flavor with a bit of a rye bite, malt dominates

m: creamy, medium body, lightly carbonated, clean sweet finish

o: I think spicy, malty when I drink this beer. It is sweet and overbalanced to the malty side but none-the-less complex and quite nice. My bottle is marked "best by 6/28/11" and it seems fresh. Thanks Two Brothers!

Cane & Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company