Victor's MemoriAle Altbier - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Altbier |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: kidadam on 02-24-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Acquired this one in a trade a while back and put it in the fridge and to be honest I had forgotten about it. Last night I decided to go ahead and open it when I reached in as I thought it was a Green Flash, boy was I happy. Twenty Two ounce bottle was served slightly chilled in a pint glass. Consumed on 08/20/2008.

Huge rich billowing head was the biggest thing to take away from this one. Really just a mammoth explosion of froth that never really would die down, or hell even calm down. Lots of cloudiness and haze in here as well, really very nice looking, easily one of the best of the style I have ever seen. Lots of carbonation was evident as well. This was really just perfect looking I have to say.

The aroma was charged. Lots of really sweet malt notes playing around in here. Just a tremendous amount of caramel and fruity tones. Figs, grapes, hell almost a wine like aroma coming off of this. Great flavor, in fact I had a hard time not going with a five here. Just an explosion of caramel, and candied sugar. Light fruit notes swirling around with almost a hint of a smoked flavor in there. Long drawn out finish was just what the doctor ordered here with a huge bomb of a bitter taste at the end that rolled up with a kettle corn like flavor that stuck with me until the end. Medium bodied with perfect carbonation, I could really never get sick of sipping on this one for the rest of my life. Truly unique and utterly exceptional in every way.

I was blown away by this overall. I think I may have found my new favorite style. One of the easiest drinking, most complex beers I have had in years. Hands down this was great. (1,642 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Deep, transparent chestnut brown capped by a short but lively head. Spotty lacing but steady streams of bubbles follow.

Mild malt sweetness in the nose, prunes followed by a scent reminiscent of piles of raked leaves. Soft nuttiness kicks in as it warms up with still more sweetness (maple syrup?).

Oh, that's exceptional! Warm malty tones with exquisite, refined sweetness that reminds me of the Italian liqueur, Nocello (a walnut drink). The best qualities of my favorite brown ales are highlighted here with the unmistakable German characteristics of a great doppelbock. The alcohol isn't detectable in the slightest way and dark fruit and bread notes sing through the finish. Love it.

Mouthfeel is super with just the right level of carbonation and thickness to balance each other out. As previously noted, ABV isn't apparent making this a deadly drinkable beer. The Ebels appear to be the real deal; if they were to focus solely on the beers that make up their seasonal/artisan roster I have little doubt they could become a phenomenon. (1,050 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last