Project Opus 10 - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Project Opus 10Project Opus 10

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Aged in oak for 16 months with sweet and tart cherries. Released 2007.

"Project Opus" on the label.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-27-2007)
Reviews by tayner:
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

12.7 oz green bottle with a sticker that says 10/07 on it.

after about 20 minutes fighting with the cork I finally unleashed a brown liquid heavily tinged with cherry colored highlights. Small offwhite head.

Smell is a funky sour nose. sour cherries. Makes my mouth water, but could be a bit stronger.

Taste is a mix of flavors. Some sips i get more sour cherry, sometimes more funky belgian-ish yeasty character. Some sips are very tart, and some seem to be a more sweet, fruity flavor. I would have to say it is a decent balance between sweet and sour. The cherries are not overpowering in fruitiness, but bring tartness to the table. I like the taste of this one.

This one has enough carbonation to make it easy to sip, but due to its nature alone, being a kreik lambic, it is a sipper. I could, though, sip on this one all day.

I hope to get my hands on a few more bottles of this, but not likely.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

The beginning of a long…evening of drinking at several of Chicago’s finest beer spots. This one was poured into a De Proef Imperial Saison glass at the Map Room.

Appearance: Cherry, but so filled with cherries that it appears to be black. I suppose that this brew pretty well matches the color of the darkest cherry one would find in a one pound bag of cherries. Really stunning body and a color not found too often in beers. The head is white to off white and pretty steady at a ¼ inch.

Aroma: Pardon the cursing…hells fucking yeah! This is American? Couldn’t be. This smells like a Flemish Red, maybe even an Oude Bruin. Are they for real? This couldn’t have been made in America, let alone in the Midwest. Pungent sweet/sour aromas of cherries, loads of cherries mix with subtle vinegar and buckets of must. Funky and woody. Brilliant.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Loads of cherries leaning towards sour. Deeply earthy and funky, more in a Flemish Red/Oude Bruin sort of way then in a lambic/geuze way. Light amounts of vinegar. This is no Duchess in that respect but it is something great and wonderfully authentic. Touches of oak and a very light amount of lemony funk play a roll to. The sourness is contained and balanced but still robust enough to make a point.

The only serious flaw I found with this beer was a flattish, watery body. Could have used more carbonation or just a bit more bulk. I hope to find this in bottles to cellar at some point. I’m sure this would be phenomenal after a few years in dank cellar.

Overall I am nearly tearful in my glee over this beer. 2 Bros 10 proves that Americans can do anything when it comes to beer. Add this to the list of great American takes on old Belgian styles right along side La Folie and brews from Russian River.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

10 is a Belgian style Kriek Lambic brewed using 480 pounds of cherries, half sweet and half sour and aged on and in oak. In process for around a year for the 10th Anniversary of Two Brothers Brewing.

Arrives in my glass a wonderful deep cherry red with a small head of little bubbles on top. Looks good in the glass with a brilliant red color. Aromas start off with a wonderful interplay of sweet and sour cherry scents along with some vinegar tones and musty, funky yeast accents. Really vibrant, it jumps out of the glass with a touch of wood in there as well.

First sip brings a wave of cherry flavors with a great melding of sweet and sour that creates a nice balance. It borders more on the sour side and flows down with a light vinegar acidity and some musty, light oaky flavors. It finishes off with a nice lingering cherry flavor. A tasty interpretation of the style..I love to see American brewers doing this. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with just enough carbonation. This one goes down with ease and each sip brings some different flavors in. I'm really looking forward to picking up some bottles of this as I could easily drink a few in a sitting. I had two glasses at the release party tonight and enjoyed both of them throughly. Cheers to Two Brothers and 10 years of brewing!! I look forward to whatever they brew up next.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours the color of iced tea but sits opaque in the glass. Small beige head is fleeting. Aroma is very lambic, a combination of funk, white grapes, sour cherries, wine, and vinegar. Slick mouthfeel with low carbonation and a medium body. Tastes like a Belgian lambic. Sour and acidic, vinous, tart cherries and a lot of must and wood. Very interesting. Hard to believe this was brewed by Two Brothers.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a dark brown dense body with a no light at all. Lots of micro bubbles on the side of the glasses. This beer has s thick beige head that last a good while and turns rocky after a bit.

S- This beer smells of tart cherries and a hint of musty basement and a soft oak note. There is light chocolate malt note and some brie rind notes.

T- This beer has a taste of light brown malt with cola notes followed by a dark cherry notes. There is a tartness that is chemical in nature with a chalky note and a light brie note in the finish. There is a light charcoal note that hangs on the finish. The cola flavors and tartness increase and dominate as the beer warms.

M- This beer has a medium light mouthfeel with a light watery texture and a slight pucker in the finish.

D- There isn't much depth and the tartness is very chemical and a bit artificial. The soft cherries is nice but tucked into the background. I like lambics but I don't really need to have another. I don't think age would do anything to improve this beer.

1.8/5  rDev -53.5%

12.7oz. corked and caged bottle, purchased at Belmont Party Supply, poured into a flute.

A: Pours extremely dark.. much darker than I would have expected. Very deep ruby, nearly solid until backlit. Big 21/2 finger head forms but falls rather fast. Not much lacing at all.

S: Tons of champagne yeast smells. Fresh picked cherries with an added carbonation scent.

T/M: More champagne yeast and lost of very tart cherries that are also musty and sour. Unfortunately, I can't finish this. Body is light and carbonation is extremely high.

D: I'm very new to lambics and even fruits beers. With that said, I still think I'll look elsewhere when exploring the style.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a bottle into two Duvel tulips. Matt(emerge077) shared this one with me. Thanks dude!

This beer pours a ruddy reddish brown that's somewhat murky and full of yeasty bits. There's a creamy layer of light almost mocha head.

The nose is pretty funky with notes of cheese rind, soggy wood, horse, rotten cherries, buttery oak, and spicy yeast.

The taste is rather muted compared to the nose. Not as tart as I had hoped either. Mellow cherry skins mix with oak and horsey wild yeast. It's fairly tame and nothing is jumping out at me. It's losing some ground as it warms and the flavors become more muddled together, which I find a little odd. It's finishes oaky and dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a soft low level of carbonation.

This beer was by no means a drain pour, but I have no interest in trying it again. With that being said I had no problem drinking my share and it was fun trying to pick apart it's flavors. Two Brothers was on the right track with this series. I wonder what happened to it.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Vintage 2007

Project Opus 10 pours a dark, nut brown color. It's a little hazy, but light easily passes through and shows garnet highlights. Carbonation looks to be quite active and yields a tan head that's around two fingers tall. It was very slow to dissipate and left a moderate web of sticky lace behind.

The nose is pretty impressive. It kicks off with a very earthy, musky scent that's just a tad funky. It's more musky than funky, but that's not a bad thing in my book. Sour cherries are noted, but they aren't exactly strong. I was expecting more. Secondary notes of oak, light vanilla and yeast round it out. Alcohol is buried and isn't noticeable. Not bad at all.

The flavor isn't quite as impressive. It is earthy and musky up front. There are light funk notes of Brett, but they are secondary and have a subtle effect. I'm okay with that. I prefer a moderate Brett presence. Sour cherries are noted, and give it a slight tart flavor. I really was expecting much more, and am a little disappointed there. Light yeast and oak are secondary and complementary. Alcohol is not noted at all. Completely buried. Finishes earthy and musky.

Project Opus 10 has a light body. Carbonation is rather active and buzzy. It's not smooth, and is not very good for the style. Average is as good as it gets. Drinkability is also rather average. The flavor isn't bad, but it's far from great and grows boring. A 375 ml bottle might actually be a challenge to finish.

Two Brothers did a decent job with Project Opus 10, but if you're looking for a great Fruit Lambic, look elsewhere. At the end of the day, the flavor is okay, but isn't all that fruity or endearing in any other way. It's alright, but I don't love it. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it out nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

A - A very Dark brown color with some red tints. Good head retention and lacing. Not what I was expecting, but not bad either.

S - This was interesting. Like with most qualities, this did not really resemble most Lambics I've had. Cherry was very present, with lots of dirty, funky qualities (soil, mushroom, butter, for example).

T - Enters tart, with quite a bit of cherry. Becomes latic-sweet and funky before finishing much like cherry cough syrup, and not in a pleasant way. Just seemed less clean than most I've tasted.

M - Not as crisp as I would expect, but again, it seems like they are playing with the traditional style of Lambic.

D - This was a very fun beer, and it was drank to celebrate a great occasion (Cubs are NL Central Champs!), but I can't tell if the variations on the traditional style were intentional or not. Either way, it was interesting, refreshing, and fruity.

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Disclaimer: I love lambics, but I hate cherries. I only bought this beer because I want to support Two Brothers, one of the best craft breweries in America. For reference -- I haven't bought Cantillon's Kriek yet, I mean, come on!

Appearance: A pleasantly dark body with a nice reddish-white head.

Smell: Lots of classic lambic smells -- barnyard, dead grandmother, with a pleasant sour twang. There is also a lot of cherry present and, as I said earlier, I don't much care for cherries.

The taste follows the nose. I would love to have had the base for this beer. It is wonderful until the cherries come along and ruin it. Seriously, a very well done lambic. Easily the best American example of the style (not that that is hard, mind you) but, wow, this actually tastes like a lambic. Again, lots of cherries and, to nitpick, it is a little sweet for my tastes. There is also a strange chocolate presence. It isn't bad, but very atypical. I actually dig it.

Mouthfeel: A touch thin here. The cork was as hard to get off as others have mentioned and I think that after I punctured it with a corkscrew multiple times, I let out a lot of the carbonation that is normally there to help fill the mouthfeel out. That said, it has a slick feeling to it that isn't entirely welcome. I think that might be either the cherries or the sweetness.

Drinkability: Not bad, my bais aside. I think this beer would be a good candidate for aging. I'm gonna buy a few and do just that.

Overall: Best American stab at the style I have had. Worlds above NG Enigma.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

A 375 mL corked and caged bottle courtesy of brewcrew76 at Dark Lord Day 2007.

A: The ale is a dark, ruby red. Black to the untrained eye. Luckily I trained my eye as I poured it. The dark color is ruddy brown. A finger of head on pour is perilously holding on for its life.

S: Lots of cherry sits atop a funky aroma that is both acidic and barnyardy. The acidic tartness is fairly mild but strong enough to get my mouth watering following a sip.

T: Each sip induces a pucker effect up front. The tartness is palpable, jumping out immediately with an acidic bite. The brett is not as evident in the taste, rarely adding a horseblanket flavor. The ale is well carbonated, coating the mouth with a bubbly cleanser that slowly reveals the bready malt body. The cherry that is more prevalent in the nose bides its time before appearing. At the tail end of each sip, a sour, tart cherry flavor emerges. Its sweetness is full and a nice compliment to the tartness of the critters.

M: The mouthfeel is tart, deliverng a pleasant punch that catches you off guard.

D: Too bad this is my only bottle. As lambics go, the funky tartness is exquisite.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

2007 edition, cellared 16 months.

There seemed to be more of a forceful pop with this bottle, the pressure allowed the cork to be pulled by hand, without a corkscrew! Deep ruby tone in the light, with suspended particles. Surface has splotchy patches in the foam, similar to what Goudenband displays. Head retention is excellent, the foam is zealous at first, then sustained.

Black cherry is noticeable at a distance, up close it's more of an oaked cherry cola. Hint of vinegar, restrained wood and wild yeast.

Mild tartness, oak tannins figure largely in the taste also. Vague fruitiness in the end, mingling with scorched popcorn kernels and dry woody oak traces.

It holds it's carbonation well, and it had a full bodied feel at room temperature. Overall this comes off as a nicely aged Flanders Oud Bruin, with minor cherry touches.

2010: This seemed to have peaked in '09, the '07 bottle opened in '10 wasn't as tart and was starting to show oxidation.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Let me say first that this was one of the toughest corks I have ever removed from a beer. pours to a deep burgundy brown but the pour is short as a nearly four finger deep dark tan rocky gead rises to the top of the glass. Head has hood retention and leaves patchy lace as it fades. nose is funky mix of zesty spice, fruity malt, all wraped up in a hint of sweet and sour tartness. A sour cherry feel slips over the tongue and is quickly joined by a richness that is like malt meets pie crust. This beer lands some where between lambic and american wild ale with a hint of brown ale. A dusting of spices and baked crust graces the back of the tongue and leads to a rather pleasant mouthfeel. This is quite unique and different for the style. A solid brew that was enjoyable to drink.

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

12.7 oz green wine bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. 2007 date on the back.

A - Pours out as a tawny brown clear color but it's black, yes, black in the glass. Holding it up to the light only shows a teeny fragment of color. The head is light tan and fizzy-effervescent with decent retention for starting at three fingers. Bits of lacing left on the glass.

S - Smells more like a funky wine than a Kreik. Almost no cherries in the nose but what it does have is an abundance of oaky wood notes and a vinegar spike to the grape-like fruit aspect. Definitely has a heavy barn funk to it too.

T - I'm actually a bit scared of this first sip...
No where near as terrifying as I was expecting it to be. It's a sour, super woody (think sucking on oak wood-chips), funky beer. A light fruitiness is present in the background but only as a small afterthought. Complex in a very weird way.

M - Sharply carbonated and uber-sour with tons of wood, it's a weird feeling beer. Also pretty tart. Medium in body.

D - I really can't finish this. The age is too much and I'm a little upset with myself for not having it sooner (although I bought it about six months ago). The black color scared the crap outta me too. I wish I was experiencing it fresh but for it's age, it's pretty interesting at least.

I don't expect this review to reflect properly on the beer but rather reflect it's age and a warning to NOT keep it long.

received this one about a year ago from imperialking.. big props Jeff on a great trade. Shared a while back with a few friends.. reviewed from notes.

Descent head.. deep brown with deep red highlites.

Nose is a bit acetic with a bunch of cherry and some dusty brett... woody and tart.

Flavor is only mildly funky with a thick cherry base beer.. almond? wet leather .. a tad sweet but the beginnings of a fine sour are certainly present.. good body, but the carbonation is on the shy side.. vinegar builds as it warms.

Thanks again Jeff.. this was one of my whales for a long time... Great trade.

All 4's

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours out a Blood red lacing of the dark blackness that inhabits the bottom of the wine glass.Two fingers of tan suds adorn the top of this great concotion.
Smell is sour cherry wood oak and yeast. A very pungent yeast.

When cold this beer is dry and dirty tasting. After a warm up period it mellows out and the cherry dry woody sour comes to the forefront. 'Dark sour cherries.'
Mouthfeel is a bit dirty but still get's 'cleansed' by the sourness each and every sip.
All in all this is a great lambic. Should be on the top 200 if they had such a thing.

A – Poured a very dark brown, with noticeable red tint to it. Not overly think looking, however it was definitely not thin either. A large, mostly tan and very fizzy head formed on top almost immediately. It hung around for a few minutes before finally settling down to just a thin, maybe a quarter of an inch layer draped across the top. Ample carbonation could not be seen, as this was almost completely opaque, but rather could be heard in the bubbles breaking the surface. Copious amounts of lace were left over when it was through. A very nice looking lambic, and much darker then any I had before. Lots of suspended particles really showing up from the start and giving it a very thick and grainy look. Some big chunks of yeast floating in this one.

S – Aroma was sour, that was the first thing I noticed. A nose full of sour cherries is what greets you right up front. It was not overpowering or bad in any way, rather it was robust and had a great presence about it. Some subtle notes of oak or maple, wood of some kind were noted in the back, as was a much appreciated grassy or earthy malted backbone. This was defiantly a full bodied ale. Lots of yeast starts coming through as it warms and really gives it that Belgian feel.

T – Very sour, well at first it was anyway. The first sip kinda reminded me of a flanders red or something along those lines. It definitely had a kick to it that was un-mistakeable. A nice cherry presence thoughout let you know that this was a fruit derived brew, however it was far from what I would normally consider a lambic style. It was just much more full. Lots of yeast flavors and a good amount of malted back were evident in the flavor as well. Overall though it was the cherries that ruled the day here, and a nice wood barrel-esque quality that shined though. Lasting flavors were quite sour and bitter with a light refreshing note to it.

M – Very intresting actually. There was definitely some ample carbonation here which led to a nice light feel. However there was a lot of residual stickiness to it, well not really stickiness but more of a fullness that you do not normally associate with the style. It had a really good texture and a bit of a chewiness which could be the result of the suspended particles and clumps of yeast, but none the less it had a rather good feel to it.

D – This was defiantly a sipper that’s for sure. Now I have no idea what the abv is on this one, there was a touch of it that could be picked up, but nothing too terribly strong, rather it was just a very nice nightcap, which was what I treated it as. I had the tulip out and it made for a fine hour in front of the tv.

Overall this was very intresting to say the least. When I had received it I had never heard of it, nor had I even heard of the brewer. However this was quite the experimental entry into my log and something that was defiantly an intresting note. I did not know what to expect, but was very pleasantly surprised. This was a fine ale and something I would love to come across again one day. Probably has been aged, and if it did it held up well, defiantly try it if you see it.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to autumnaldave for the chance to try this from my wants!

From a cage corked 12.7oz bottle

Pours a dark, looks brown at first, held up to the light it has a dark ruby color, lots of floating sediment, large fizzy head similar to a cola.

Smell is mainly tart like a lambic, cherry is present, not a sickeningly sweet smelling lambic like most.

Taste is primarily tart but even this is a bit subdued compared to most lambics, slight sweetness, not overwhelming, cherries take a backseat as this isn't an overly fruity lambic, highly carbonated, picking up some woodiness.

An interesting take on the lambic style, unlike most others.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks to younger35 for throwing this in as an extra in our recent trade. 2007 vintage.

a - pours a very, very deep burgundy with a huge cappuccino head, great retention and lacing, lots of sediment on the bottom, wouldn't think this was a lambic just looking at it

s - sweet and sour cherries and oak dominate the nose, a little leather

t - more of a sweet cherry flavor than tart or sour, but definitely a mild tartness at the start, mixed in with a strong woodiness, lingering sweetness and oak on the finish

m - fairly low carbonation for a lambic, medium-bodied, fairly sweet finish

d - pretty drinkable b/c of the lower tartness compared to other lambics I've had

Not a bad effort from Two Brothers though I'd like to have a bit more sourness and tartness. I like to see American breweries take a shot at brewing lambics. Definitely worth a try.

S - Caged and corked 12.? oz bottle. picked up @ DLD

A - deep garnet pour with a creamy beige head that never goes away. very pretty but almost sinister in some stretch of the mind.

S - definite funk, woddy, tartness, some juicy notes in there, obvious fruit, earthy. very gueze like with juicy lambic visions. dig it.

T - earthy, tart, woody, malt is hiding in the back, almost chocolate hints in there as well, vineous a bit too.

M - Tart and creamy, completely complementing each other. nice

D - I tink my limit is one of these as they tend to fatigue me just a tad towards the end.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to egajdzis for this...
Appears a dark brown with a small, off white head. Scattered bits of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of tart cherries, vanilla, wine, and funky leather.
Taste is of the aromas with obvious cherries, along with oaky vanilla tannins.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart, and well balanced for a lambic.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Pours fairly dark. Decent head , some lacing.

Aroma of mustiness , vinegar, and tart fruit.

Apple sweetness with some tart cherry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium/light , good carbonation.

Although this hasn't been my favorite style, a beer like this could change my perception.

Project Opus 10 from Two Brothers Brewing Company