Heliocentric Bragot - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Heliocentric BragotHeliocentric Bragot

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Braggot |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-02-2007)

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, dark golden color with a dense two finger head that had excellent retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left down the glass. This beer looks great, unfortunately that is going to turn out to be the best part of the this brew.

Very minimal aroma. Smells like a lackluster amber ale. Some honey and floral hints to add a little interest.

Flavor is not any better. Tastes of honey and green apple. Boring, sweet malt flavor. Cloying finish. Not really a braggot and it certainly does not taste like one.

Medium body with nice carbonation.

Another disappointing beer from Two Brothers. I don't know why I bother anymore.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

The Helio-centric Bragot was number 14 of 15 retro release beers by Two-Bros...I have been sitting on for a while....with the weather breaking it was time to pop the top. The beer poured a honey golden clear with a Boddinton's type frothy head that did not leave much lacing. The scent included whisps of honey mixed with some bittering hops. The taste was very similar to Blue Moon's Honeymoon summer ale....there definitely is a presence of Honey that makes the beer. The mouthfeel was a full bodied ale with subtle carbonation. Overall it was a decent ale and I am thankful that 2Bros decided to retro this one!!!

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. limited edition bomber poured into an S.A. Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, dark golden orange with a one finger off-white head.

S: Smell is just a tad underwhelming. Smells like a weaker amber ale with honey. However, the honey and floral quality is quite nice.

T: Honey is the predominate flavor in this brew, however it peaks most at the end. You can taste the amber base. There's a biscuity and grainy malt base. The bitterness is practically non-existent. A nice honey and flower taste takes over midway and ends with a splash of honey and sugar. It's sweet, but not cloying, which is a plus.

M: The mouth is a bit odd. It's very similar to water with a bit of carbonation. It's not thin, but it has a watery feel. However, this makes it very easy to drink considering the moderate ABV.

O: I've honestly never had a braggot, so I don't know how traditional this one is compared to others. I know it's a mix of mead and beer, and the mead characteristics are definitely present; however, the beer aspect is a but underwhelming. It's different, and I would probably try it again.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

From: Friar Tuck's, Savoy, IL
Date: None on bottle, but released in November, 2012
Glass: Standard US pint glass

Bragot is not a style I'm familiar with, this being my first, but the description of it being a blend of mead and ale seems to match the characteristics of this particular beer. Two Brothers blended amber ale and mead made from local sunflower honey, yielding and intensely sweet, bright beer with little to no hop presence. The hybrid ale isn't particularly complex, with malt and honey sweetness being the only dimensions offered: I was ready to be done after a half glass. While it's nice to have tried another style, I would have liked to see the brewery re-release a different beer than this. In all, a disappointing end to the 15 Retro Release series Two Brothers was doing this year.

Pours a 0.5cm head of fairly clean white, medium and large-sized bubbles, that dissipates with extreme rapidity, fading to the thinnest of rings around the perimeter of the glass. Head leaves minimal to no lacing along the sides of my glass. Beer's body is transparent, light brown-orange in color, with plenty of visible, active carbonation.

Aroma is fairly subdued overall: biscuit-like with some honey sweetness and a slightly metallic edge.

Flavor is overall sweet, a blending between the amber ale base and honey. Front of palate detects biscuit and caramel-like sweetness. Mid-palate become a bit more interesting, with mild honey sweetness, biscuit and caramel-like sweetness, slight floral notes, and flavors that make me think of a soft white wine. Back of palate has some ethanol, spiciness (from ethanol or hops, it's difficult to tell), and milder honey-like sweetness due to the ethanol being more pronounced. Aftertaste is biscuit-like and grainy, with honeyed sweetness; slightly cloying overall.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy in weight, surprising for the simplicity of the style, but perhaps not so much due to the significant portion of weighty honey in the final product. Carbonation is medium to medium-low in intensity, meaning that this flows slowly, but surely, across the palate. Ethanol is mild, but still felt in the nostrils and back of throat: not particularly pleased by its obviousness. Substantial stickiness across the palate afterwards, likely from the high amount of unfermentable sugars.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a HUGE, white head that has surprising persistence. Soft, grassy hop aroma with a honey backbone. Crystal-clear, golden amber; gorgeous to look at. Starts off with a grassy hop flavor that builds in booziness. About midway, the hops peak, and the sweet honey back starts to shine through. The finish is VERY malty and smooth, and that soft floral aspect of honey comes back through.
Mouthfeel is a touch thicker than typical, but not as thick as I was expecting.

This isn't the most assertive of flavors, but it uses Mead, so that is expected.
The balancing of the smooth malt and the touch of floral hops was masterfully executed; the floral/grassy hops blend and feather the edges of the floral honey.
I dig this. Not an earth-shattering brew, but it really showcases the Two Brothers skill.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Only the 2nd braggot I've ever tried (Surly Three was the other), so not much else to compare it to.
Pours amber in color, good clarity, some fine particulates suspended within. Thin white head fades quickly leaving no lace. Aromas are sweet with honey, vanilla, fresh air, grassy, faint caramel. Tastes are also sweet with delicate flavors of honey, vanilla, sunflower (I think this is because I know it's in there), chardonnay, butter, caramel, slight toastiness, slight nuttiness, vegetative/leafy. Thin-to-medium body, lower carbonation, and finishes semi-dry. Alcohol is present, but not boozy by any means. Overall, nothing bad about this; doesn't seem to be spectacular, but I get where they were going with this. Cloyingly sweet at times. Glad I got to try it, but glad it's gone at the same time...

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

For whatever reason, with the spelling used here, I wanna pronounce it "brag-go" instead of "brag-gət". Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises honey-dripped biscuit, perfume-y white grapes, and cracked wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, though the grapes are a touch on the oaked chardonnay side now (rather than the bold sweetness from the smell), and a vein of funky wood-like wheat spiking through it all. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a decent enough braggot, but one that leaves me with a slightly odd taste in my mouth. I like seeing the style getting out there again, though...

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Apperance is deep reddish brown with white head. Nose features light grain, honey sweetness, a bit of vanilla, caramel and bread. Taste features watery sweetness, light grains, caramel, and some lager like dryness. Mouthfeel is light and sticky with moderate carbonation. Overall, a lackluster brew with minimal honey character.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

Heliocentric Bragot
Two Brothers Brewing Company
Style: Braggot
ABV: 7.50 %
Bottles notes: 7.5% abv, 12 ibus, 16.5' Plato
'The earth revolves around the sun, sunflower honey that is.."

Special thanks to kstrickler for this bottle of what looks to be a 32 month old Braggot. Honey ales/wines are supposted to be best with age, so I believe this may be a good time to review this brew. The earliest review I see was 8/2007, it was brewed only once, and I am reviewing it on 3/7/2010. I have been wanting to try a braggot for awhile now, so this is a fine treat. I hombrew a Cream Ale recipe with 30% honey and this is the closest think I have had to braggot. I have had mead before as a reference as an FYI.

Appearance is a golden/orange honey color, excellent 2 finger fluffy head & collar. Mild chill haze as poured.
Aroma has noticeable dry mead/honey aroma, with a mild dash of booze sneaks in form the higher abv.
The one tastes EXACTLY as I would expect a true Braggot to taste. Dominant dry mead character, followed by palt malt on palate. A true hybrid abv beer dosed with a mead/honey backbone. Some mild sweetness trys to sneak in, but it is quickly dominated by the alcohol warming on your palate.

This drank very well as a ~3 year old Braggot. I enjoyed it for an example of the style. Closest summary I could describe it as is a "hybrid imperial cream ale mixed with a strong dose of dry mead character". I would guess the higher ABV notes may have not been the best if drank young, but I think the extra time has rounded this out to a fine Braggot. It is now official that Braggot is not my one of my favorite styles, but I can appreciatte it in a "Cream Ale" like context. I officially dislike mead, but I can now say I open to drink Braggot if available.

Now I am curious to see if any other reviews pop up over time. As of today 3/9/10 there are 3 "wants" and no "gots" that exist for this brew.
I would be surprised if this was the last bottle of this batch, but I will not be surprised if this is the last review ever.

Anyhoots, I guess I can wait and see. Thanks again to kstrickler for this rare opportunity!

Heliocentric Bragot from Two Brothers Brewing Company