2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heliocentric Bragot - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Heliocentric BragotHeliocentric Bragot

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Braggot |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Style: Braggot
ABV: 7.50 %
Bottles notes: 7.5% abv, 12 ibus, 16.5' Plato
'The earth revolves around the sun, sunflower honey that is.."

Special thanks to kstrickler for this bottle of what looks to be a 32 month old Braggot. Honey ales/wines are supposted to be best with age, so I believe this may be a good time to review this brew. The earliest review I see was 8/2007, it was brewed only once, and I am reviewing it on 3/7/2010. I have been wanting to try a braggot for awhile now, so this is a fine treat. I hombrew a Cream Ale recipe with 30% honey and this is the closest think I have had to braggot. I have had mead before as a reference as an FYI.

Appearance is a golden/orange honey color, excellent 2 finger fluffy head & collar. Mild chill haze as poured.
Aroma has noticeable dry mead/honey aroma, with a mild dash of booze sneaks in form the higher abv.
The one tastes EXACTLY as I would expect a true Braggot to taste. Dominant dry mead character, followed by palt malt on palate. A true hybrid abv beer dosed with a mead/honey backbone. Some mild sweetness trys to sneak in, but it is quickly dominated by the alcohol warming on your palate.

This drank very well as a ~3 year old Braggot. I enjoyed it for an example of the style. Closest summary I could describe it as is a "hybrid imperial cream ale mixed with a strong dose of dry mead character". I would guess the higher ABV notes may have not been the best if drank young, but I think the extra time has rounded this out to a fine Braggot. It is now official that Braggot is not my one of my favorite styles, but I can appreciatte it in a "Cream Ale" like context. I officially dislike mead, but I can now say I open to drink Braggot if available.

Now I am curious to see if any other reviews pop up over time. As of today 3/9/10 there are 3 "wants" and no "gots" that exist for this brew.
I would be surprised if this was the last bottle of this batch, but I will not be surprised if this is the last review ever.

Anyhoots, I guess I can wait and see. Thanks again to kstrickler for this rare opportunity!

03-08-2010 19:11:08 | More by unclejimbay
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

This is the first bragot I've tried to my knowledge so I am going into this very open minded. Pours to a honey amber colored body that looks almost sticky sweet. Head reaches an inch of off white foam with a vigorous pour, but it quickly fades to just a scattered skim. nose has tones of sweet buttery fruit and rich carmalived malt. Enters the mouth super clean with alcost a creamy hue. At first thought it really reminds me of a Octoberfest style with nice even malty richness to the body of this beer. Biscuty flavors meld well, with the beer delivering both refreshment and decently robust satisfaction. A very solid beer. 7.5% alchol is super well hidden, as I would call this a session brew. This is a very interesting brew as the sunflower honey is laced throughout the palate and mouthfeel. Drinkability is wonderful.

03-16-2008 22:37:29 | More by SPLITGRIN
WoodBrew

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

The Helio-centric Bragot was number 14 of 15 retro release beers by Two-Bros...I have been sitting on for a while....with the weather breaking it was time to pop the top. The beer poured a honey golden clear with a Boddinton's type frothy head that did not leave much lacing. The scent included whisps of honey mixed with some bittering hops. The taste was very similar to Blue Moon's Honeymoon summer ale....there definitely is a presence of Honey that makes the beer. The mouthfeel was a full bodied ale with subtle carbonation. Overall it was a decent ale and I am thankful that 2Bros decided to retro this one!!!

04-01-2013 00:21:48 | More by WoodBrew
ultralarry2006

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber. Leaves less than one finger of a pure white head that becomes long lasting surface skim, and leaves a small amount of spotty lacing. Body is an orange tinted golden amber.

Smell - toasty maltbread biscuits, tiny hint of citrus, and a tiny hint of honey.

Taste - more honey shows up on the tongue than the nose indicates, and it washes through the toasty maltbread biscuits.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, a little syrupy.

Drinkability - this is very good, and it is possibly sessionable.

08-12-2007 12:16:29 | More by ultralarry2006
merlin48

Kentucky

22 oz bottle pours a mostly clear peach body with a tiny offwhite cap for a head. Only a few flecks of lace. Aroma is subtle, with honey and rosewater notes. Surprisingly light bodied with restrained carbonation. Taste has a floral hops bitterness that seems lavender. Honey and a subdued caramel malt sweetness balance well. Very easy to sip. This is a style I look forward to sampling again.

09-07-2007 14:35:22 | More by merlin48
joe1510

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

22oz Bomber
$5.99
Binny's Orland

Only my second Braggot so bear with me on this review. Heliocentric pours a deep dark clear crystal golden. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise to the surface from the middle of the glass. A half finger head ormed on an aggressive pour that fell to a skeleton of a skimming with a solid ring. The body really looks nice.

Unique aroma. Smells of dark honey right up front along with some dampness (wet straw, although pretty weak). Mild toasted white bread is the ale backbone of this braggot. Flower petals as well, hints of lavender. Subtle but good. The last braggot I sampled I remember similiar aromas that were subtle as well.

The flavor is quite a bit different than expected. Somewhat caramel backbone on the flavor, some of that white bread is present but the caramel takes the cake. The dark honey comes through mid-palate with mild lavander. Really softens on the swallow. Nice.

The mouthfeel is the weak point of this braggot. Body is on the lighter side of medium without much activity or smoothness.

This is a libation I could see myself drinking quite a bit of while I lounge around getting fanned by my maidens and hand fed grapes. That's how I imagine it anyways (good luck, right?).

A quality braggot that you have to let warm to catch the nuances. Interesting flavors that I will buy again, if I see more around. Definately a good summer sipper. Thanks again Two Brothers.

08-18-2007 04:45:06 | More by joe1510
TTAmod

3.94/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. limited edition bomber poured into an S.A. Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, dark golden orange with a one finger off-white head.

S: Smell is just a tad underwhelming. Smells like a weaker amber ale with honey. However, the honey and floral quality is quite nice.

T: Honey is the predominate flavor in this brew, however it peaks most at the end. You can taste the amber base. There's a biscuity and grainy malt base. The bitterness is practically non-existent. A nice honey and flower taste takes over midway and ends with a splash of honey and sugar. It's sweet, but not cloying, which is a plus.

M: The mouth is a bit odd. It's very similar to water with a bit of carbonation. It's not thin, but it has a watery feel. However, this makes it very easy to drink considering the moderate ABV.

O: I've honestly never had a braggot, so I don't know how traditional this one is compared to others. I know it's a mix of mead and beer, and the mead characteristics are definitely present; however, the beer aspect is a but underwhelming. It's different, and I would probably try it again.

02-06-2013 04:36:14 | More by TTAmod
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

I have had a few Braggots in my day, so I was stoked when I saw this one come in the mail a bit ago. I decided to open it last night as I was in the mood for a little something different. Nice 220z bottle was served at cellar temp and poured into an over sized wine glass. The initial pour looked like thinned out liquid honey. A god amount of carbonation was visible through the mostly transparent liquid. It really had a ver nice golden shine to it, just as a braggot should with a decent amount of head on top. A one finger high layer of white froth came over the top and faded own to a thin crown that only stuck to the sides of the glass leaving a bare top. Some side glass lacing, esecially when swirled coated the glass. Pretty good look.

The aroma was richly sweet as you would expect. Tons of honey and almost what semed like lavender or flower touches mixed in. Hints of grain and light fruit mixed in, but to be honest it was a little light and could have used that little extra push to make it pop. The flavor was much better though. The initial rush of honey coming across the tongue coated very nicely, and the hints of a touch of grape it seemed liked in the middle, it was sone kind of light fruit. Lots of grain and wheat like flavors mixed in with that hone sweetness. The finish was pretty good, with a peppery like spiceness becoming very predominant and overall really deping the profile. A good feel on this one, as the carbonation was just right and really let the flavors pop. The drinkability was outstanding. There was no dullsness and really did not get tired of the flavor like you can with the style sometimes. No hint of the alcohol made this a nice, light sipper.

Overall this was not my favorite braggot by any means, though I would say it would be in the top five for sure. It was a more then solid effort with a very nice overall profile and a lightness to it that really let you drink the bottle without issue. This is definitly something I would like to try again.

05-25-2008 18:03:37 | More by mikesgroove
ajmoody76

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

my sister brought this to me from the chicago burbs. my brother in law loves this beer. 22 ounce bottle to an imperial pint glass. light amber color. clear. one finger white head. looks good.

earthy hop aroma. sweetness and fruity also. no off odors.

honey sweet with some hop bitterness. some toasty flavors. warm aftertaste.

good carbonation. meduim body. nice lace. good beer. be careful- 7.5%abv. no session. i would like to have another. my first braggot. i liked it.

03-08-2008 20:00:01 | More by ajmoody76
Slynger

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Clear orangey color with a golden honey hue to it and a big lid of fluffy ivory colored fuzz.

The nose is light, but brings some honey and pale malt sweetness with a hint of apple and some musty, earthy hops.

The flavor is much better. It's gentle but very tasty. Some honeyed lemon and pale malts with hints of green apple as well. The hops are musty and lightly bitter/spicy and grassy-earthy. Solid medium body with a big fuzzy-tingly carb that tickles a bit.

It's a tasty and unique beer and I definitely enjoyed it. It has some room for improvement, but I definitely wouldn't mind drinking it again.

08-14-2008 05:03:21 | More by Slynger
TheSSG

3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a HUGE, white head that has surprising persistence. Soft, grassy hop aroma with a honey backbone. Crystal-clear, golden amber; gorgeous to look at. Starts off with a grassy hop flavor that builds in booziness. About midway, the hops peak, and the sweet honey back starts to shine through. The finish is VERY malty and smooth, and that soft floral aspect of honey comes back through.
Mouthfeel is a touch thicker than typical, but not as thick as I was expecting.

This isn't the most assertive of flavors, but it uses Mead, so that is expected.
The balancing of the smooth malt and the touch of floral hops was masterfully executed; the floral/grassy hops blend and feather the edges of the floral honey.
I dig this. Not an earth-shattering brew, but it really showcases the Two Brothers skill.

12-07-2012 03:36:02 | More by TheSSG
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottled picked up by Lexx.

Pours a clear amber, thin white head forms, no lacing, settles to a thin ring. Smell is sweet, some floral honey, caramel, cereal/oats, grass, very clean aroma, light but nice. Taste is honey, clovers, floral and grass, cereal/oats, bit of bread with a sweet honey aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low to medium carbonation. Not bad, on the lighter side of braggots I've had but still enjoyable.

11-21-2007 18:06:26 | More by Viggo
orbitalr0x

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bomber. Brewed with local sunflower honey. Pours into my glass a deep golden honey color with great clarity. A small bubbly white head on top with mellow active carbonation. Aromas start with a toasted, slightly caramelized grain along with big floral notes. The honey is quite evident and brings in a sweetness as well. Somewhat earthy with a subtle fruity quality.

First sip brings a toasted grain caramel malt upfront that moves into fruity, floral flavors. Midway through the honey becomes quite evident. It brings a sweet, earthy tone to the beer. Somewhat bready with just a hint of grassy bitterness on the finish and a lingering honey afterthought.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a slick quality to the brew. Mellow carbonation works well. The honey seems to add an interesting twist, but overall the beer is refreshing and probably better suited for summer then this cold winter night. Overall, I could see myself enjoying a bottle of this on occasion and hopefully they will brew it again sometime. Cheers to Two Brothers for always bringing something unique with the Artisan series.

11-28-2007 01:18:41 | More by orbitalr0x
IBUnit63

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Froma 750 into a Cab glass. Have seen issues with dating on 12 oz. bottles - let's see how this is...

Pours a clean, dark natural honey color with solid effervescence and thin, yeasty head.

Strong apple and sparkling wine (not quite champagne) on the nose with lots of mild, slightly sweeet honey. Ample carbonation keeps this one bright.

On the first wave this is very light and austere compared to the nose of it all. Also starts out a little tinny but apple and honey are both still there. A bit dry but decent. Cleans up a bit with warmth.

When cold it's crsp and clean, no caffeine...rather calm for carbonation level, which is a good thing. As this slows up towards room temperature it does circle back to a metal feel with a little more of an alcohol burn.

This is a tweener - when cold the flavors aren't as pronounced as we want but warmth sends it a little bit overboard. Very interesting and decently-made effort that drinks OK early but gravitates towards an uphill battle, albeit a reasonably pleasant one.

09-12-2008 06:35:40 | More by IBUnit63
Vancer

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

First, and most likely, the only braggot I’ll have. It certainly is better than a sweet ass mead type, but the style doesn’t do it for me – still to sweet, perhaps this is a desert beer.

Clear amber with almost no white head. Aroma is a weak blond ale type, not much of anything there, it’s like sniffing a honey jar. Taste was kinda a plain jane too, just some bits of a earthy wood, red ale style. 7.8%

Surprisingly dry and crisp, but with that sweetish finish. This may be a perfect braggot, I donno, so I’ll go with all 3.5s

09-23-2007 16:38:31 | More by Vancer
WanderingFool

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Heliocentric Bragot pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color into the glass with a big, white fluffy head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick ring around the surface of the beer leaving behind a fair amount of lace on the sides of the glass. Several streams of bubbles are seen rising to the top from the bottom of the glass. It reminds me of an upside down snow flurry.

The aroma has light fruity notes of grapes and a hint of clove. It seems more like a white wine than a beer. Each sip of this medium bodied beer feels dry on the palate with a good amount of fizzy carbonation that tingles the tip of the tongue.

The flavor is somewhat fruity with some spice and malt mixed in. It begins with notes of white grapes and lemon zest. Towards the middle there's a mild spicyness that seems peppery. It finishes dry and sweet with some alcohol notes mixed in. I couldn't really taste any honey, but perhaps that's what was in the sweet finish. Once gone some of the spicy flavor lingers on the palate.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting with this beer. It reminded me more of a Belgian ale than other bragots I've tried.

11-27-2008 16:54:52 | More by WanderingFool
cvstrickland

3.48/5  rDev +3%

The drink pours honey-gold with a huge white head that retains very well and leaves foamy rings of lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet and spicy with an herbal bite.

Taste is honey-sweet and spicy with quite a bit of alcohol heat.

Nice drink, but so sweet it has to be a sipper for me.

07-20-2008 13:36:08 | More by cvstrickland
emerge077

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

Named after the 1st modern astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus, and his heliocentric model of the solar system.

Poured into a snifter, it reflects a deep amber jewel tone. Two fingers of foam at first, but it soon fades to a bare skim. Spotty lacing eventually forms. Aroma is grainy, very mildly phenolic.

Buttered popcorn, sunflower seeds, and a vague notion of honey all settle into a tacky, malty profile. Thin in mouthfeel, seedy aftertaste.

A bomber can be finished solo, but it leaves something to be desired. Points for creativity...

Brewer's Notes: It is half mead (fermented honey) and half beer. We used all locally produced Sunflower honey from the Naperville area.

08-02-2007 03:03:31 | More by emerge077
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

3.38/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a brilliantly clear golden orange, honey like, with a thin head that disappeared immediately.

S - Honey with a touch grain.

T - Sweet honey with a grainy malt taste and hints of apple in the background. Having brewed a honey pale ale myself it tastes like honey is the dominant flavor in this one.

M - Light and slightly sticky on the teeth. Very easy to drink.

D - A nice take on a not so common style. I hope 2 Bros continues to keep the Artisan collection interesting.

08-18-2007 02:08:34 | More by brewcrew76
brentk56

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color (surprise!) with a modest head that leaves traces of lace

Smell: Very very subtle aroma of bread and a touch of honey

Taste: Starts with a slightly sweet bready flavor, with a growing vegetable element by mid-palate; after the swallow the sweet and grainy flavors build modestly

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I have had homebrewed braggot before so I have a fair idea what the style entails; this one is underwhelming

10-24-2007 02:26:15 | More by brentk56
TMoney2591

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

For whatever reason, with the spelling used here, I wanna pronounce it "brag-go" instead of "brag-gət". Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises honey-dripped biscuit, perfume-y white grapes, and cracked wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, though the grapes are a touch on the oaked chardonnay side now (rather than the bold sweetness from the smell), and a vein of funky wood-like wheat spiking through it all. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a decent enough braggot, but one that leaves me with a slightly odd taste in my mouth. I like seeing the style getting out there again, though...

11-22-2012 20:15:03 | More by TMoney2591
Westsidethreat

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Extemely fizzy like soda. Carbonation chills out after a while, leaving a weak off white film across the top of the body. Decent bit of bubbles proceed to the surface from the bottom of the glass. Body is a clean and sterile mandarin color.

S: Clover honey, biscuits, yellow apples and cider.

T: Starts off mildly sweet and sour at the some time at the front of the palate. Honey is predominant but not cloying. Its actually not a bad flavor…but some off flavors follow it up. Slightly dirty flavor shows up, and I think the only reason you taste them is because the other flavors are so subtle. Delicate floral components come next with nectar qualities following suite. Finishes sort of grainy. Grainy flavors usually go away after you drink the beer for a while, but this one isn’t. Finishes with grainy flavors and lingering honey.

M: Medium body, soft mouthfeel.

D: I’m coming to the conclusion the bragots aren’t one of my favorite styles. Perhaps I just haven’t been drinking the right ones. Very subtle flavors at work here, and I’d imagine it takes master craftsmanship to perfect this type of beer. Dunno.

12-01-2007 02:19:40 | More by Westsidethreat
jeonseh

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

From a bomber poured into a Bell's Tulip glass.

A - Reminds me of looking at a bottle of honey as the color is a deep, clean honey color that radiates golden hues. The beer is slightly reflective. There was no head formation at all as only a trail of white bubbles sat on the side of the glass.

S - The nose was barely noticeable at all. I could really only notice a slight hint of honey mixed with orange and lemon.

T - The first taste sensation is a light hint of sweet candied orange. After that, a hint of bitterness attempts to shine through yet the honey comes in and sweetens up your mouth before the bitterness has a chance to take hold. There was also a light hint of lemon which seems to come and go randomly throughout the tasting session. Overall, the taste is alright but not great. Have to say this was fruitier than I expected and there was not really a honey taste as much as a slight hint of honey. Actually reminded me a bit of a tripel that had a honey, instead of a bread and yeast backbone to it.

MF - Lightly carbonation comes through after the beer sits dead on the tongue for a few seconds. A bit watery for my tastes and the afterfeeling leaves a light astringent tingle on the tongue.

D - overall an okay beer that I give 2 Bros props for trying. Really not that much honey is in it at all as the citrus flavors really seemed to dominate. Worth a try but I was not the least bit sad to see that it was a one time limited offering.

05-20-2008 14:44:56 | More by jeonseh
barnzy78

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Only the 2nd braggot I've ever tried (Surly Three was the other), so not much else to compare it to.
Pours amber in color, good clarity, some fine particulates suspended within. Thin white head fades quickly leaving no lace. Aromas are sweet with honey, vanilla, fresh air, grassy, faint caramel. Tastes are also sweet with delicate flavors of honey, vanilla, sunflower (I think this is because I know it's in there), chardonnay, butter, caramel, slight toastiness, slight nuttiness, vegetative/leafy. Thin-to-medium body, lower carbonation, and finishes semi-dry. Alcohol is present, but not boozy by any means. Overall, nothing bad about this; doesn't seem to be spectacular, but I get where they were going with this. Cloyingly sweet at times. Glad I got to try it, but glad it's gone at the same time...

11-28-2012 02:00:53 | More by barnzy78
beckje01

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Gold color with lots of activity and a thin white head.

S- Some sweetness and a touch of straw.

T- Slight sweet honey then a nice wheat flavor. It's a good balance and is very drinkable.

M- Nice activity really sets off the flavor.

D- Very drinkable.