Heliocentric Bragot - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Heliocentric BragotHeliocentric Bragot

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Braggot |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-02-2007)
vande

03-31-2013 01:06:01 | More by vande
TTAmod

3.94/5  rDev +16.2%

22 oz. limited edition bomber poured into an S.A. Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, dark golden orange with a one finger off-white head.

S: Smell is just a tad underwhelming. Smells like a weaker amber ale with honey. However, the honey and floral quality is quite nice.

T: Honey is the predominate flavor in this brew, however it peaks most at the end. You can taste the amber base. There's a biscuity and grainy malt base. The bitterness is practically non-existent. A nice honey and flower taste takes over midway and ends with a splash of honey and sugar. It's sweet, but not cloying, which is a plus.

M: The mouth is a bit odd. It's very similar to water with a bit of carbonation. It's not thin, but it has a watery feel. However, this makes it very easy to drink considering the moderate ABV.

O: I've honestly never had a braggot, so I don't know how traditional this one is compared to others. I know it's a mix of mead and beer, and the mead characteristics are definitely present; however, the beer aspect is a but underwhelming. It's different, and I would probably try it again.

02-06-2013 04:36:14 | More by TTAmod

2.88/5  rDev -15%

From: Friar Tuck's, Savoy, IL
Date: None on bottle, but released in November, 2012
Glass: Standard US pint glass

Bragot is not a style I'm familiar with, this being my first, but the description of it being a blend of mead and ale seems to match the characteristics of this particular beer. Two Brothers blended amber ale and mead made from local sunflower honey, yielding and intensely sweet, bright beer with little to no hop presence. The hybrid ale isn't particularly complex, with malt and honey sweetness being the only dimensions offered: I was ready to be done after a half glass. While it's nice to have tried another style, I would have liked to see the brewery re-release a different beer than this. In all, a disappointing end to the 15 Retro Release series Two Brothers was doing this year.

Pours a 0.5cm head of fairly clean white, medium and large-sized bubbles, that dissipates with extreme rapidity, fading to the thinnest of rings around the perimeter of the glass. Head leaves minimal to no lacing along the sides of my glass. Beer's body is transparent, light brown-orange in color, with plenty of visible, active carbonation.

Aroma is fairly subdued overall: biscuit-like with some honey sweetness and a slightly metallic edge.

Flavor is overall sweet, a blending between the amber ale base and honey. Front of palate detects biscuit and caramel-like sweetness. Mid-palate become a bit more interesting, with mild honey sweetness, biscuit and caramel-like sweetness, slight floral notes, and flavors that make me think of a soft white wine. Back of palate has some ethanol, spiciness (from ethanol or hops, it's difficult to tell), and milder honey-like sweetness due to the ethanol being more pronounced. Aftertaste is biscuit-like and grainy, with honeyed sweetness; slightly cloying overall.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy in weight, surprising for the simplicity of the style, but perhaps not so much due to the significant portion of weighty honey in the final product. Carbonation is medium to medium-low in intensity, meaning that this flows slowly, but surely, across the palate. Ethanol is mild, but still felt in the nostrils and back of throat: not particularly pleased by its obviousness. Substantial stickiness across the palate afterwards, likely from the high amount of unfermentable sugars.

12-08-2012 23:22:18 | More by falloutsnow
TheSSG

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a HUGE, white head that has surprising persistence. Soft, grassy hop aroma with a honey backbone. Crystal-clear, golden amber; gorgeous to look at. Starts off with a grassy hop flavor that builds in booziness. About midway, the hops peak, and the sweet honey back starts to shine through. The finish is VERY malty and smooth, and that soft floral aspect of honey comes back through.
Mouthfeel is a touch thicker than typical, but not as thick as I was expecting.

This isn't the most assertive of flavors, but it uses Mead, so that is expected.
The balancing of the smooth malt and the touch of floral hops was masterfully executed; the floral/grassy hops blend and feather the edges of the floral honey.
I dig this. Not an earth-shattering brew, but it really showcases the Two Brothers skill.

12-07-2012 03:36:02 | More by TheSSG
barnzy78

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Only the 2nd braggot I've ever tried (Surly Three was the other), so not much else to compare it to.
Pours amber in color, good clarity, some fine particulates suspended within. Thin white head fades quickly leaving no lace. Aromas are sweet with honey, vanilla, fresh air, grassy, faint caramel. Tastes are also sweet with delicate flavors of honey, vanilla, sunflower (I think this is because I know it's in there), chardonnay, butter, caramel, slight toastiness, slight nuttiness, vegetative/leafy. Thin-to-medium body, lower carbonation, and finishes semi-dry. Alcohol is present, but not boozy by any means. Overall, nothing bad about this; doesn't seem to be spectacular, but I get where they were going with this. Cloyingly sweet at times. Glad I got to try it, but glad it's gone at the same time...

11-28-2012 02:00:53 | More by barnzy78
TMoney2591

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

For whatever reason, with the spelling used here, I wanna pronounce it "brag-go" instead of "brag-gət". Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises honey-dripped biscuit, perfume-y white grapes, and cracked wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, though the grapes are a touch on the oaked chardonnay side now (rather than the bold sweetness from the smell), and a vein of funky wood-like wheat spiking through it all. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a decent enough braggot, but one that leaves me with a slightly odd taste in my mouth. I like seeing the style getting out there again, though...

11-22-2012 20:15:03 | More by TMoney2591
homebrew311

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Apperance is deep reddish brown with white head. Nose features light grain, honey sweetness, a bit of vanilla, caramel and bread. Taste features watery sweetness, light grains, caramel, and some lager like dryness. Mouthfeel is light and sticky with moderate carbonation. Overall, a lackluster brew with minimal honey character.

11-17-2012 02:35:35 | More by homebrew311

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Style: Braggot
ABV: 7.50 %
Bottles notes: 7.5% abv, 12 ibus, 16.5' Plato
'The earth revolves around the sun, sunflower honey that is.."

Special thanks to kstrickler for this bottle of what looks to be a 32 month old Braggot. Honey ales/wines are supposted to be best with age, so I believe this may be a good time to review this brew. The earliest review I see was 8/2007, it was brewed only once, and I am reviewing it on 3/7/2010. I have been wanting to try a braggot for awhile now, so this is a fine treat. I hombrew a Cream Ale recipe with 30% honey and this is the closest think I have had to braggot. I have had mead before as a reference as an FYI.

Appearance is a golden/orange honey color, excellent 2 finger fluffy head & collar. Mild chill haze as poured.
Aroma has noticeable dry mead/honey aroma, with a mild dash of booze sneaks in form the higher abv.
The one tastes EXACTLY as I would expect a true Braggot to taste. Dominant dry mead character, followed by palt malt on palate. A true hybrid abv beer dosed with a mead/honey backbone. Some mild sweetness trys to sneak in, but it is quickly dominated by the alcohol warming on your palate.

This drank very well as a ~3 year old Braggot. I enjoyed it for an example of the style. Closest summary I could describe it as is a "hybrid imperial cream ale mixed with a strong dose of dry mead character". I would guess the higher ABV notes may have not been the best if drank young, but I think the extra time has rounded this out to a fine Braggot. It is now official that Braggot is not my one of my favorite styles, but I can appreciatte it in a "Cream Ale" like context. I officially dislike mead, but I can now say I open to drink Braggot if available.

Now I am curious to see if any other reviews pop up over time. As of today 3/9/10 there are 3 "wants" and no "gots" that exist for this brew.
I would be surprised if this was the last bottle of this batch, but I will not be surprised if this is the last review ever.

Anyhoots, I guess I can wait and see. Thanks again to kstrickler for this rare opportunity!

03-08-2010 19:11:08 | More by unclejimbay
beckje01

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Gold color with lots of activity and a thin white head.

S- Some sweetness and a touch of straw.

T- Slight sweet honey then a nice wheat flavor. It's a good balance and is very drinkable.

M- Nice activity really sets off the flavor.

D- Very drinkable.

12-01-2008 07:56:27 | More by beckje01
WanderingFool

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Heliocentric Bragot pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color into the glass with a big, white fluffy head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick ring around the surface of the beer leaving behind a fair amount of lace on the sides of the glass. Several streams of bubbles are seen rising to the top from the bottom of the glass. It reminds me of an upside down snow flurry.

The aroma has light fruity notes of grapes and a hint of clove. It seems more like a white wine than a beer. Each sip of this medium bodied beer feels dry on the palate with a good amount of fizzy carbonation that tingles the tip of the tongue.

The flavor is somewhat fruity with some spice and malt mixed in. It begins with notes of white grapes and lemon zest. Towards the middle there's a mild spicyness that seems peppery. It finishes dry and sweet with some alcohol notes mixed in. I couldn't really taste any honey, but perhaps that's what was in the sweet finish. Once gone some of the spicy flavor lingers on the palate.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting with this beer. It reminded me more of a Belgian ale than other bragots I've tried.

11-27-2008 16:54:52 | More by WanderingFool
IBUnit63

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Froma 750 into a Cab glass. Have seen issues with dating on 12 oz. bottles - let's see how this is...

Pours a clean, dark natural honey color with solid effervescence and thin, yeasty head.

Strong apple and sparkling wine (not quite champagne) on the nose with lots of mild, slightly sweeet honey. Ample carbonation keeps this one bright.

On the first wave this is very light and austere compared to the nose of it all. Also starts out a little tinny but apple and honey are both still there. A bit dry but decent. Cleans up a bit with warmth.

When cold it's crsp and clean, no caffeine...rather calm for carbonation level, which is a good thing. As this slows up towards room temperature it does circle back to a metal feel with a little more of an alcohol burn.

This is a tweener - when cold the flavors aren't as pronounced as we want but warmth sends it a little bit overboard. Very interesting and decently-made effort that drinks OK early but gravitates towards an uphill battle, albeit a reasonably pleasant one.

09-12-2008 06:35:40 | More by IBUnit63
Slynger

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Clear orangey color with a golden honey hue to it and a big lid of fluffy ivory colored fuzz.

The nose is light, but brings some honey and pale malt sweetness with a hint of apple and some musty, earthy hops.

The flavor is much better. It's gentle but very tasty. Some honeyed lemon and pale malts with hints of green apple as well. The hops are musty and lightly bitter/spicy and grassy-earthy. Solid medium body with a big fuzzy-tingly carb that tickles a bit.

It's a tasty and unique beer and I definitely enjoyed it. It has some room for improvement, but I definitely wouldn't mind drinking it again.

08-14-2008 05:03:21 | More by Slynger
cvstrickland

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

The drink pours honey-gold with a huge white head that retains very well and leaves foamy rings of lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet and spicy with an herbal bite.

Taste is honey-sweet and spicy with quite a bit of alcohol heat.

Nice drink, but so sweet it has to be a sipper for me.

07-20-2008 13:36:08 | More by cvstrickland
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +15%

I have had a few Braggots in my day, so I was stoked when I saw this one come in the mail a bit ago. I decided to open it last night as I was in the mood for a little something different. Nice 220z bottle was served at cellar temp and poured into an over sized wine glass. The initial pour looked like thinned out liquid honey. A god amount of carbonation was visible through the mostly transparent liquid. It really had a ver nice golden shine to it, just as a braggot should with a decent amount of head on top. A one finger high layer of white froth came over the top and faded own to a thin crown that only stuck to the sides of the glass leaving a bare top. Some side glass lacing, esecially when swirled coated the glass. Pretty good look.

The aroma was richly sweet as you would expect. Tons of honey and almost what semed like lavender or flower touches mixed in. Hints of grain and light fruit mixed in, but to be honest it was a little light and could have used that little extra push to make it pop. The flavor was much better though. The initial rush of honey coming across the tongue coated very nicely, and the hints of a touch of grape it seemed liked in the middle, it was sone kind of light fruit. Lots of grain and wheat like flavors mixed in with that hone sweetness. The finish was pretty good, with a peppery like spiceness becoming very predominant and overall really deping the profile. A good feel on this one, as the carbonation was just right and really let the flavors pop. The drinkability was outstanding. There was no dullsness and really did not get tired of the flavor like you can with the style sometimes. No hint of the alcohol made this a nice, light sipper.

Overall this was not my favorite braggot by any means, though I would say it would be in the top five for sure. It was a more then solid effort with a very nice overall profile and a lightness to it that really let you drink the bottle without issue. This is definitly something I would like to try again.

05-25-2008 18:03:37 | More by mikesgroove
maximum12

2.78/5  rDev -18%

My first encounter with a Bragot - appears there isn't much in the way of variety of this beer being brewed these days. Heck, I'd never even heard of it. Neither my wife nor I can recall where or why this ended up in the fridge.

Looks like honey, smells like honey, very sweet, almost no head in either pour out of a 22 oz. bomber.

Taste is sweet but funky. No bite at all, & dead flat, practicaly zero carbonation. There's a lingering aftertaste of licking a goat that doesn't agree with my palate. Strange since the up-front taste is almost sickly, Mike Hard-type sweet.

Mouthfeel is OK, drinkability drops as I go down the glass. The sweetness is too much to drink more than one, & the unpleasant aftertaste worsens with every sip. I may need a Bell's Expedition Stout to wash the Heliocentric out of my mouth.

This is my second taste of Two Brothers & I have to say I'm distinctly unimpressed. No urge to try another.

05-22-2008 01:53:16 | More by maximum12
jeonseh

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

From a bomber poured into a Bell's Tulip glass.

A - Reminds me of looking at a bottle of honey as the color is a deep, clean honey color that radiates golden hues. The beer is slightly reflective. There was no head formation at all as only a trail of white bubbles sat on the side of the glass.

S - The nose was barely noticeable at all. I could really only notice a slight hint of honey mixed with orange and lemon.

T - The first taste sensation is a light hint of sweet candied orange. After that, a hint of bitterness attempts to shine through yet the honey comes in and sweetens up your mouth before the bitterness has a chance to take hold. There was also a light hint of lemon which seems to come and go randomly throughout the tasting session. Overall, the taste is alright but not great. Have to say this was fruitier than I expected and there was not really a honey taste as much as a slight hint of honey. Actually reminded me a bit of a tripel that had a honey, instead of a bread and yeast backbone to it.

MF - Lightly carbonation comes through after the beer sits dead on the tongue for a few seconds. A bit watery for my tastes and the afterfeeling leaves a light astringent tingle on the tongue.

D - overall an okay beer that I give 2 Bros props for trying. Really not that much honey is in it at all as the citrus flavors really seemed to dominate. Worth a try but I was not the least bit sad to see that it was a one time limited offering.

05-20-2008 14:44:56 | More by jeonseh
NEhophead

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in an oversized wine glass.

Slightly hazy, light copper in color. Thin, white head that fades to a pool of bubbles almost immediately. A few spots of lacing with average strength.

Slick, malted wheat aroma with notes of honey and vanilla. Whaffs of musty astringency over toasted, adjunctory grains. Apple and peach esters.

Green apple, pear acidity up-front. Lightly malted wheat with a mild honey and vanilla sweetness. Bland, airy, grain-based middle with notes of lingering tartness and slick alcohol.

Light, medium in body; mildly slick, but more grainy and airy than anything.

A disappointing 'Braggot'. More like a Pale Wheat Ale with a touch of artificial honey. Obviously not a brew I'll be returning to.

03-30-2008 21:40:12 | More by NEhophead
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

This is the first bragot I've tried to my knowledge so I am going into this very open minded. Pours to a honey amber colored body that looks almost sticky sweet. Head reaches an inch of off white foam with a vigorous pour, but it quickly fades to just a scattered skim. nose has tones of sweet buttery fruit and rich carmalived malt. Enters the mouth super clean with alcost a creamy hue. At first thought it really reminds me of a Octoberfest style with nice even malty richness to the body of this beer. Biscuty flavors meld well, with the beer delivering both refreshment and decently robust satisfaction. A very solid beer. 7.5% alchol is super well hidden, as I would call this a session brew. This is a very interesting brew as the sunflower honey is laced throughout the palate and mouthfeel. Drinkability is wonderful.

03-16-2008 22:37:29 | More by SPLITGRIN
ajmoody76

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

my sister brought this to me from the chicago burbs. my brother in law loves this beer. 22 ounce bottle to an imperial pint glass. light amber color. clear. one finger white head. looks good.

earthy hop aroma. sweetness and fruity also. no off odors.

honey sweet with some hop bitterness. some toasty flavors. warm aftertaste.

good carbonation. meduim body. nice lace. good beer. be careful- 7.5%abv. no session. i would like to have another. my first braggot. i liked it.

03-08-2008 20:00:01 | More by ajmoody76