The Bitter End Pale Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

13.5 Plato and 30 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-14-2002)
1.38/5  rDev -63.2%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. The label depicts someone shaking the last drop out of a pint of beer. It also bears the freshness date of best before 5/4/07.

Appearance: Pours with very little head, maybe 1/4 inch of off white foam. This settles quickly into almost nothing, just a slight ring around the glass. The beer itself is a light copper in color and perfectly clear.

Smell: Strange smell, not a whole lot of malt or hop, but a very powerful musk melon smell. Almost like a rotten pumpkin! Slight hints of banana-like diacetyl, almost like a hefe.

Taste: All right, I don't know what's going on here, but this is disgusting! I could only choke down a few sips. Taste reminds me of when you bring the rotten pumpkin off your porch two weeks after Halloween. Hints of bitter hops in the finish, but nothing about this beer is good.

Moutfheel: Average level of carbonation. Body is average.

Drinkability: Holy crap, this is my new worst beer.

beveritt, Mar 26, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Jungle Jim's, poured into a pint. Best by 1/31/08.

A: Huge carbonation crack when opening... and the easy pour was 100% foam... no liquid whatsoever. That's 2 beers today like that... different storage conditions, too. Takes 10 minutes to fully pour it. Deeper amber than expected. Lots of retention yet little lacing.

S: Crisp citrus hops. That's about it.

T/M: Light citrus hop taste and bitterness. Most of the taste is a combo of wet cardboard and styrofoam. I guess the bottle really is bad. The other brew that was fizzy like this didn't have the taste, though.

D: I'll have to review this one again sometime. If it's the same, then I can't recommend this one.

pwoods, Dec 08, 2007
2.08/5  rDev -44.5%

Had some odd metallica flavors going on in it. I was kind of turned off by this. Some beers have this happen and I try to look passed it. Sometimes it's easier said than done. The beer is a good APA overall. It's got a good color and aroma to it. The hoppy quality isn't too bad either. Just that metallica flavor I was getting killed this one for me.

Knapp85, Mar 27, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

Oh boy. A little face was made when I sniffed this for the first time. It didn't really smell of beer, but of something you'd eat, like stew. I sniffed again, and I think it's more like V8. A flat malt is all I could think of. Ick. Little head, but a lasting lace around the rim and cloudy amber is how it appeared. It's a little warmer, and I can pick out a little hops, but still. This may be a chore to drink.

Watery and thin mouth, no foam, almost no bitter at the back.

Flavors? Dull candy sweet like juju bees. Only a slight hops character with a back slap of malt. I'd be reaching if I said anything else.

This may be the kind of beer you drink fairly warm in a pub in London, but it's a really mild APA, and not worth my time.

Ricochet, Sep 26, 2009

Azpittil57, Jun 04, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a three-finger bubbly white head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Slight cloudy amber color. Hoppy nose. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Starts with the hops dominating, finish is bitter with bitter after taste. Typical English bitter. $1.85 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma. Best by 1/12/2006.

jdhilt, Feb 10, 2006

Nachos4two, Feb 05, 2013

jaidenjb, May 29, 2012

Whiskeydeez, Apr 02, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -29.3%

Semi hazed tarnished orange. Big sticky and craggy mountainous head with an aggressive pour. Really sticky lacing. Sweet mixed fruit bowl on the nose. Good mix of malt and hop smells are detectable.

Reminds me of english ipa more than an american one. Very malt forward with a fresh soft biscuit like taste. Sweet breads are balanced by an underlying bitterness. Hops lend more to balance than flavor. Thins out on the finish. Interesting, very malty but has a bitterness too it. Not crazy about it.

jtierney89, Nov 27, 2012

Zanico, Jan 17, 2014

tdog2983, Mar 08, 2013

Robloc303, Yesterday at 01:08 PM
2.78/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured this beer from bottle to tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer had a red tint to it with a low height white head. The beer had a fresh hoppy smell that was veary pronounced. The beer was ver hoppy tasting with a bitter finish typical of high hopped beer. A bit of a piney taste also. Beer was crisp I'll give it that and the lacing was actually not bad. I will not buy again.

Minkybut, Mar 03, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from a 12 oz amber bottle into a 12 oz glass.

Aggressive pour earned me only a modest head with slight lacing.

Sugary aroma of raw, unfermented wort dominates.

Notable bitter bite up front, with a biscuity flavor and musty hop finish.

Drinkability is poor. It's a muddy tasting beer, no crispness to complement the bitterness.

BattleRoadBrewer, Jul 14, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

This brew poured a small mostly diminishing head of medium sized white bubbles which left a good lacing. Its body was a transparent amber color. I felt its taste was a medium strength bitter hop flavor throughout and lingingered an average amount of time. Its plalate was somewhat dry and fizzy. THe aroma of this brew was very light with notes of light bread and moderately hopped.

TheDM, Jun 23, 2003
2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

Golden color, two finger head with nice retention and lacing.

Citrusy and flowery aroma.

Sharp bitter Orange Rind, crisp hoppyness, a touch of grassy notes wafting in a breeze, and a hint of sweetness.

nice clean and crisp finish. session/summer beer. Name explains it.

Easy drinking like most pale ales, but maybe a bit easier then most as it's maybe a touch lighter and cleaner then some others that come to mind.

Good solid APA. Not the best in the mid-west, but pretty solid, especially for summer grilling.

ChadQuest, Jan 31, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a dark amber in color. There is no head that forms, but plenty of sticky lacing coating the entire inside of the glass. Not too much in the smell. A subtle amount of malt and hops in the flavor. Pretty thin and smooth on the tongue. A very easy drinking pale, but nothing in the flavor to make me want another.

FtownThrowDown, Sep 11, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: This pours a hazy golden color with a ridiculously large head.
Nose: It's aroma is a little bit malty, a little bit citrusy
Flavor: The taste has some lemon/citrus notes w/ some hints of maltiness, but the big thing that you notice is how fizzy this beer is. It's far too fizzy for me.

jcalabre, Aug 17, 2003
2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

Rather disapointing; had to have been a bad bottle. Poured into a pilsner glass: nothing but foam from top to bottom. Once it had settled--several minutes later--I was looking at a cloudy pale/amber brew with a constant onslaught of aggressive bubbles.

Aroma was mostly citrus and floral hops with a decent malt presence, but the flavor was just not there. Not horrible, but the expected bitterness came off as more of an off flavor than an asset. Astringent mouthfeel and excessive carbonation made this one hard to enjoy.

Could be this one didn't handle a couple of months of subtle temperature fluctuations as well as the rest of my stash. I'd certainly like to give it another try some day, but this one didn't do it for me.

Rzzzzz, Jun 28, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

Drank this at 2 Brothers tap house. This was my second beer. First was the Heavy Handed which was, by far, the superior beer.

Served in a pint glass. Arrived with a thin layer of head. No lacing.

Color is bronze-golden and clear.

Virtually no aroma as far as I could tell, though I will admit the taphouse itself has a distinctive bacony aroma to it, which was not by any means unpleasant.

After the Heavy Handed, this beer tasted weak. A little bit of malt and then finishing with a good dose of bitterness. However, aside from the bitterness, there was a distinct lack of hop flavor for an PA.

Overall, a thin-ish, everyday, average pale ale. Not offensive, but lacking character of it's own. Couldn't see drinking it if there were better beers available. I must confess, I believe drinking the Heavy Handed first ruined me on this beer and I would like to give it another chance.

Florida9, Feb 27, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

This started out a little strange, pouring with about half foam, although It hadn’t been shaken. Settled down to have a nice orange-red color, with thick off-white head that lingered thru the entire glass and left excellent lacing. Aroma tried to be hoppy grapefruit citrus, and though detectable, was not real dominant. Likewise, the flavor was muted, and the palate tried once again to be bitter like its name, but tended to be as much stale and sour as it was bitter.

I expected more from my first Two Brothers offering, and was frankly disappointed.

kimcgolf, Jan 17, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: Pours amber with about one finger of foam,light beige that does not retain and leaves minimal lacing. Clear with decent carbonation showing.

Aroma: Light citrus hop aroma but I did not detect much anything else.

Taste: A mild citrusy hop flavor but not big like a lot of APA's. Overall this beer is pretty mild. Crisp and clean, the hops do linger.

Mouth Feel: Smooth and crisp with a light to medium body. Finishes dry.

Overall: Not a bad beer but I was hoping for a little more out of it. Certainly would drink it again.

Bierwolf, Jul 07, 2014

TTripp725, Jan 01, 2014

From notes…

Best By 2/28/05

Tawny-gold in hue, largely clear, the liquid is pretty and typical of the style. The head was just slightly off white; at the apex the bubbles reached about one finger in height. Head retention was very good; it slowly faded to a soapy cap. There was some subsequent lacing, it was webby, unorganized, but it clung poorly. The nose says, “I’m a run-of-the-mill APA that could be brewed by any number of microbreweries.” Specifically, the bouquet offers hints of caramel malt; at least the malt has something to it, which is a step in the right direction. The hops supply some spicy citrus zest, hints of pine needles, wood, and grapefruit flesh. At the back there is some light ale fruitiness. The potency is low but I’ve heard this song and dance before. Maybe I’m feeling a little jaded today. Maybe the nose just isn’t that impressive. Let me think for a moment… yeah, not that impressive. The palate is decent but so damn ordinary. The hops are cheesy at the back and that is not a good thing in my book. Woody. The citrus qualities of the nose are not found in any significance on the tongue. The malt supplies some caramel and a smattering of biscuits. Dry. I’m bored with this beer, there is nothing wrong with it but there isn’t anything I’m going to remember about it. The finish is warm and bitter; this saves the beer from a complete yawn-fest. It would be good with a burger or some basic cheeses. I wouldn’t suggest anything fancy here. Simplistic. Medium in body, firm carbonation, the mouthfeel is rigid. It is very easy to drink. Would I drink it again? I guess. I wouldn’t go out of my way to do so. Yawn. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA. Skip it.

bditty187, Mar 11, 2005