2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bonfire Dunkle Weiss - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Bonfire Dunkle WeissBonfire Dunkle Weiss

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Dunkelweizen |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: jwinship83 on 11-05-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 67 | Show All Ratings:
mwilbur

1.53/5  rDev -57.4%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into weizen glass.
A: Pours a...what the hell?!?! This is some kind of black magic... This literally poured an entire glass of head without any beer. I have never seen such a thing before. Bizarro. Takes about 10 minutes to settle...ridiculous overcarbonation. Once the beer does appear it is a dark amber.
S: Chemical malt note...no bananas and barely any spice. Not as bad as the no-beer beer appearance, but not good.
T: Simply terrible. Weak and bad tasting caramelt malt and that chemical thing persists here too.
M: Slick and oily.
D: I should have done my research and checked out the reviews on this one before getting it. The drain ended up getting more of this one than I did. I was all excited to try different dunkelweizens, but this one is a big disappointment. Stay away...I wish I had.

11-17-2009 04:39:44 | More by mwilbur
KarlHungus

1.85/5  rDev -48.5%

So after a delicate twenty minute long pour the beer is finally ready to be drank. How annoying. The beer is a dark brown color (perhaps the darkest dunkelweizen I've yet seen, but alright). The head is massive, and doesn't recedes. The aroma has the nasty chemically breadiness to it. It smells nothing like a dunkelweizen. Unfortunately this translates over into the taste. There is some roasted malt, and chocolate with a hint of yeast that cover some of it up, but it is still there. It is also lacking of the usual banana bread and clove that are expected in the dunkelweizen. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with likely carbonation. Overall, this beer doesn't do it for me. It seems like Two Brothers was trying for a dunkelweizen/porter hybrid along the lines of New Glarus Black Wheat. If that is truly what they were going for they were completely off. On the other hand if they were going for a traditional dunkelweizen they were way off too. The aroma makes me scared with every sip that it will taste like it smells. That, and the over carbonated pour make this beer a something I would not recommend.

08-03-2009 00:17:19 | More by KarlHungus
Vancer

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

I thought the "Double Weiss" per the label would pack some abv punch, but on closer inspection I see it's only 6.2%.

Pours a deep mahogany brown, almost blackish, with a quick dying tan head. Aroma is light, just some sweet malts notes.

Quaff is not toasty, as the label notes, but a funky sour rotten fruit taste. Someone drop a spoiled melon in the mash tun?

Wow, surprised at Two Bros with this one, usually they produce tasty brews. This one misses the mark badly.

02-08-2009 19:23:34 | More by Vancer
mdwalsh

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

Not sure how old this beer is, got it a few weeks ago at Andy's in Rochester, MN. I'll be gentle on things that appear they could be age related. It was still fantastically carbed when I opened it. Perhaps too carbed, it pours just a thick head Smells of a possible minor infection, but I don't think so. This is taking forever to settle.

Finally enough beer to actually talk about the look. Dark, ruby brown, slight haze, obviously good carbonation. The head is beige, small tightly packed bubbles.

The aroma is slightly acidic, slightly cidery, but not horendus at all. I've had perfectly good BMCs smell worse.

The taste again has just a touch of acidic sourness, a definite infection. But it plays ok with the rest of the beer. I won't finish this, not all 22 oz, but I will complete a review. Beyond the sour I get a little caramel, which is actually interesting with the apple. I'm thinking with age this beer has pretty much fallen apart.

Despite the carb and age, the body isn't half bad.

I hate to tank a rating, but in reality, there is an infection here and the beer didn't have anything to fight back with. If you still have this beer, drink or destroy.

05-03-2011 23:02:29 | More by mdwalsh
TMoney2591

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Kinda going out of order in this anniversary series (1, 3, 2), but who's counting? This stuff pours a dark, somewhat hazy russet-ruby topped by a half-finger of off-tan foam. The nose comprises clove, dark wheat, light banana, a pinch of black pepper, and a half-pinch of cinnamon. The taste comes through with a blast of spice: cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, allspice, and black pepper. Some mild dark wheat and banana notes populate the background, but they're clearly relegated to the supporting cast (they're petitioning for more than their couple o' lines apiece, but the director seems to be a bit of an ass...). Something akin to mild tea sits amongst the scenery behind everything else. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, a muddled, weak take on the dunkelweizen style. Not my thing, yo.

05-01-2012 02:25:01 | More by TMoney2591
akorsak

2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at Anderson's on Talmadge in Toledo, OH. I'd heard that this is infected.

A: The ale has a huge, ginormous white head that bubbles up to over three fingers. Just as fast as it appeared, it was gone, fueling concerns. The ale sits still, no sign of carbonation (and no lacing), with a dark black cherry cola color.

S: Darker chocolate notes dominate with a subtle hint of wheat underneath. It smells a little sour, which surprisingly aids the depth. I'm going in...

T: The infection adds a very mild sourness to the start of each sip. Setting the darker malts off with a flourish. The wheat stands out, with a lighter flavor. The yeast adds clove, but it struggles to make its way through the sourness. Chocolate sits in the aftertaste, wiping away memories of the start.

M: Sour? Yes. Infected? Yes. Still tasting good though? Yes. Not the best dunkelweizen, but one that offers a great deal of darker malts that are content to linger on the palate.

D: This one is enough for me. Maybe I'll check back in on the next, uninfected, batch.

08-15-2009 00:48:39 | More by akorsak
BeerFMAndy

2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

22 oz bottle poured into a weiss glass.
16.1° P, 15.1 IBU, 6.2% ABV, no date.

*Yes, this is old. I picked this one up a few days before review towards the end of May this year at Groppi's, who, to my delight, had a bottle on the shelf. At that point I had wanted one for at least a year.

A - Bonfire pours a gorgeous vintage burgundy brown with good clarity despite the dark color. The light oak head is effervescent as can be and disappears quite quickly. No lace.

S - The volatile mutant yeast aroma disappears quickly leaving behind dark wheat and light smoke notes. The mutant yeast returns! Mild aromatic notes of the classic German strain.

T - Quite dunkl-y indeed, there's a good amount of dark what within this brew but just a touch of smokiness. The yeast shows mild signs of infection, but certainly no where near as much as the nose.

M - Highly carbonated with a medium-light body and soft, dry finish, the feel of this brew is still quite nice!

O - I wish I would have looked at reviews before my spontaneous, joy-filled purchase. It seems there had been issues even when fresh. Then again, I knew what I was getting into, buying an old beer. Still, it's not as bad as some reviews have made it out to be, even with it's age.

10-13-2011 02:35:38 | More by BeerFMAndy
younger35

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked up a bottle of this from Binny's for like $5.99. The beer may not always be the greatest but they have really cool bottles. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a maroonish brown with a nice creamy one finger tan head. The head recedes very slowly leaving a nice thick cap and collar and plenty of lacing.
Smell- Lightly grainy and rather roasted with a lightly smoky aspect. Some caramel and chocolate malts show adding a sort of nuttiness. Lightly spicy with a bit of clove and some feint wafts of banana.
Taste- Slightly nutty from the start with a light sweetness and touch of bitter chocolate. A bit of clove and banana with a lightly roasted wheat smokiness. A bit cloying at times and it turns a bit cidery as it warms (copied that from emerge077, couldn't pick out that weird flavor and he nailed it). Lingering sweetness with a roasty nutty aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Nice solid body with a light creaminess and light crisp carbonation.
Drinkability- Honestly the beer isn't bad while cold but once it warms the sweetness really is a bit overbearing. It's fairly cloying and becomes a bit too much. Unfortunately the best part of this beer is the mouthfeel and look. Not the worst beer I've ever had but not my favorite from Two Brothers.

12-04-2008 02:58:38 | More by younger35
Soneast

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Pours a dark brown color with some amber edges. Has about a 1/2 inch light brown colored head that recedes rather quickly leaving a bubbly ring, the little lacing evident is very watery and slips away quickly.

There are a lot of grains on the nose and a definite hint of sour fruits, not citrus, per say, but rather fruit that has gone bad. Almost acidic in aroma. Not a whole lot of phenols nor fruity esters as I would expect.

The flavor also consists primarily of grains with a hint of sourness to the overall graininess and I can pick up a semblance of bananas right near the end. Not really any roastiness as I expected. The finish definitely has a tartness to it. Once again I was expecting more banana and spicy flavors.

Overall this beer failed my expectations of a Dunkelweizen. It is too bad this was my first Two Brothers beer as I've heard nothing but good things about them, but this really did not impress me. It is drinkable, but not what I expect from the style.

02-28-2009 04:38:52 | More by Soneast
morimech

Poured into a weizen glass being sure I got the yeast sediment into the glass. Has a dark, murky brown color with a small tan head that quickly settles to a thick cap. Very little lacing is left on the glass.

The smell is weak. It just does not explode with weizen aromas. What I do smell is a combination of cloves and something along the lines of moldy grain.

The flavor is just off. Has a musty, slightly sour flavor that does not belong. The yeast flavors are weak. I do not taste any fruity esters. Unimpressive flavors. A shot of sourness before a clove aftertaste settles in.

Light bodied with a well suited carbonation. Typical for the style.

Not a well done dunkelweizen. The 6.2% ABV is well hidden in this light bodied beer. It was also a bit expensive as well. There are many dunkleweizens that are better and cheaper on the market.

11-30-2008 19:04:58 | More by morimech
beckje01

A - Black color with a white head.

S - A light wheat smell...

T - Semi sweet flavor with lots of wheat somewhat one sided.

M - Ok nothing to get excited about

D - Very drinkable but not much to it, overall just a average beer. If it wasn't for the beer notebook I would have completely forgotten about this one

07-19-2009 06:40:07 | More by beckje01
drpimento

Wisconsin

This was served with a small light tan head and a little lace. Color is a fairly hazy very dark mahoganey. Aroma was roasty dark malt, pumpernickle rye, a little dark ripe fruit, and not a lot of spice. Flavor is dominated by tartness, then a little bittersweetness, the above aroma characteristics and a little nuttiness. Body is ok, a bit sharp. Finish is mainly dark sour malt. Nothing special, but not too bad.

09-15-2009 21:41:07 | More by drpimento
sulldaddy

Connecticut

Sampled this beer at room temp poured into a pint glass. Beer is dark chestnut hue with garnet tints and fizzy beige head of 4 cm foaming up even with a gentle pour, would have overflowed without precautions taken. Aroma is chocolate malt and roasted notes a little fruity, but not as complex as I had hoped. Not too much twang in there either. First sip reveals an average body and rolling gentle carbonation. Flavor is very mild but similar to nose with bits of brown sugar and chocolate and a hint of dark red fruit, plums??. No hops or ABV show through, but again not very complex flavor. The beer is an easy drinker, but I was hoping for more subtleties and mix of flavors. I am a little disappointed.

11-07-2009 04:45:06 | More by sulldaddy
drtacks37

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

My first time experiencing a Dunkle Weiss. I was skeptical at first since I don't care for Weiss beers. This is very different than the usual Weiss. When it is poured, Bonfire looks like Root Beer with a very thick, but light head. The color is similar to root beer as well. It has a sweet flavor with a rich coffee/chocolate aftertaste. I learned tonight that I don't mind a Dunkle Weiss, but don't prefer it either.

11-05-2009 02:04:14 | More by drtacks37
WoodBrew

3.05/5  rDev -15%

Bonfire Dunkle Weiss is ok....I am just not a fan of this beer style so ratings from me are probably skewed. This was a retro release from Two Bros. The beer was dark almost opaque with brow/ruby hugh. There is a almost non-existent head that is not lacing. There is a light wheatly smell and a sweet mlt taste. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with bland carbonation. Overall...eh.

11-17-2012 02:47:49 | More by WoodBrew
hwwty4

Missouri

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks to jtrockchalk for this one.

I needed 22oz bombers to bottle some homebrew so I decided to do a little culling from the cellar. Found this one hiding behind some Stone IRS. Threw it in the kegerator to cool down.

Holy carbonation batman. Seriously, 1/3 of a inch of beer and a whole Tripel Karmeliet tulip filled with head. Jeez. That's a shit ton of head. Serious lacing all the way down the glass. Bad sign, only time I've ever seen that much head is in a infected beer. I'm glad I put in the the kegerator when I did, otherwise my cellar might have been a tad stickier. The nose is interesting. Muted notes of caramel and toast mixed with green apple skins and pie cherries. The flavor is much the same but the sour pie cherries and green apples dominate the flavor profile pushing the caramel and toast to the outskirts of the flavor profile. It's not horrific at all, but it doesn't seem like its supposed to be there either. Its not a bad beer, but I think its turned into something that its not supposed to be. I once had a barleywine that picked up a slight infection that just lent itself to a mild tartness in the background. Made it really tasty. This is more along the same lines. Malt is still there, but its definitely secondary the the tartness of the beer. It kind of hits you in the back of the jaw.

08-27-2010 00:56:32 | More by hwwty4
emerge077

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Draft at Village Tap.

Served in a pint glass, black with a dark chocolate brown edge. CO2 bubbles cling to the side, with a feeble head of foam that barely covers the surface. Aroma is plain at first, and some clove and cider notes come out as it warms.

Tastes cidery, there are grape and clove notes, with sort of a funky yeast presence that doesn't help things. It lingers into the aftertaste, with a sort of slick feeling. The body is thinner than a dunkelweisse/weizenbock, about as light as a standard hefeweizen. I finished the pint, but didn't really enjoy it. This is a brand new keg, as this was just released. I don't have high hopes for the bottled version, although this may be a bad draft line issue (not likely looking at other bottle reviews).

11-17-2008 00:21:26 | More by emerge077
optiontwo

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

22oz poured into hefeweizen glass

Appearance: As it was pouring from the bottle the color appeared to be a murky light brown but in the glass it is a much darker brown with minimal white head.

Smell: Chocolate and smoke upfront with a definite funkiness that is usually synonymous with wilds and sours. Also some slight earthiness, grass, wood, etc.

Taste: Pretty true to the smell but with a little more sour aftertaste than I was expecting. Chocolate, smoke, and sour fruit are the most prominent flavors.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light and well carbonated.

Drinkability: Goes down easy and is quite flavorful for how light-bodied it is.

Overall: I've had only one or two dunkleweiss beers before this one and I'm not sure if it's my style. I enjoy this particular one for what it is and the thing I liked the most about the flavor was the unexpected sourness, made it quite refreshing. Despite that though, I doubt I will pick this up again but I'm sure some would enjoy it immensely.

12-12-2008 19:50:40 | More by optiontwo
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -10%

younger35 hooked me up with this IL goodie, thanks bitch.

22 oz. bomber poured into a weizen glass.

Pours a super murky brown with a quick two finger light tan head thatdies down to a thin layer of foam. Some stick remains on the sides of the glass after swirling, but not much. Smell consists of chocolate covered bananas with some smokey malts and grains. Metallic notes, roasted marshmallows, and gritty earth in the nose as well. A nice aromatic balance between toasty and sweet. Taste starts off with metallic banana bread and brown sugar, interesting. Midway dark wheat flavors emerge on the tongue with clove, nuts, and cocoa powder. Unfortunately this beer suffers in the aftertaste with a wet carboard flavor, caramel, and ashy bark. Light to medium body with a somewhat smooth feel but the strong carbonation sting really gets in the way. I must say though, the 7.5% is hidden quite well. A nice winter beer, but a bit rough around the edges. Thanks for the chance to give this bad boy a try Dan.

12-19-2008 01:09:09 | More by BeerTruth
chanokokoro

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a dark brown with a two finger cream-colored head. Smells of light roasted malt and a bit of clove. Opens with a mild chocolately flavor mixed with light tones of clove and banana and a bit of bread. Finishes smooth with light chocolate roasted malt flavors. Very light bodied. A decent brew, however the flavors never really come through and were never as upfront as I would have liked.

07-06-2012 06:52:40 | More by chanokokoro
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Not a great dunkel, but a drinkable dark brown with a decent white head, and substantial lace down the glass. Boozy, spicey chocolate aroma. Above-average carbonation and about average mouthfeel as a tad more watery than I would expect. I taste a bunch of cloves first and foremost, and then chocolate.Fairly sourish finish. Could be much creamier.

03-11-2009 21:47:05 | More by Sammy
isubsmith

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Shared with the bartenders at my favorite watering hole.

Appearance: Dark brown, somewhat thin. Minimal head that dissipated quickly.

Nose: Lots of grains, some spicy smells - almost cinnamon or cloves.

Taste: Meh. Lots of grain, some sourness upfront. Lots of gritty yeast flavors. Some sweet fruit near the end - perhaps bananas as others have suggested. Not nearly as roasty as I expected/hoped.

Mouthfeel: Very thin, light. Too much carbonation for me - almost biting.

Drinkability: While I could drink a few more bottles, I see no overwhelming reason to. Probably the most disappointing Two Brother's beer I've had. Their beers are normally very good, very well balanced. This one just didn't do it for me.

04-03-2009 12:09:36 | More by isubsmith
drunkmonk

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks DavidEddie.

Dark reddish brown. Diluted milk chocolate head, leaves a wispy lace. Light aroma's of caramel and chocolate malts. Light toast and ghost nuttiness. Flavors of pumpernickle and toasted bread crusts, very light roasted malt flavors. Again hints of nut. Finishes with faintly sweet caramel. Mouthfeel is slick and thin. Drinkability is effortless. A nice easy drinker. I would have preferred more maltiness and a bigger body on this. Sausages anyone?

03-23-2009 22:20:19 | More by drunkmonk
rhoadsrage

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

(Served in a small weizen glass)

A- This beer has a dense dark brown body with a faint murky brown glow at the base. There is a thin head of bubbles that last for a few sips and the body is a bit too dense to see much carbonation.

S- This beer has a soft plastic and yeasty aroma to it. As it warms there is a bit of a dark nougat aroma that comes through.

T- This beer has a tart apple cider flavor at the front of the taste with a soft toast flavor and some dark bread dough hints to follow. Then the taste finishes with more apple tartness but softer that the first.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a slippery texture and no real alcohol heat.

D- This beer is a bit bland with the flavors coming through being a bit off and one dimensional.

01-06-2009 22:28:16 | More by rhoadsrage
innersanctum

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

C Dawg says the dunkle weiss is the worst style of beer, and I says he can shove a Firestone Walker IPA where the sun doesn't shine!

Its nice to see the Brothers produce some more of ye 'ole Bonfire. The dunkle isn't produced by many domestic craft outfits, and my neighbors out in the Western burbs have done an admirable job. Is it "The Best" dunkle out there, no, but its solid enough.

The malty dunkle/bannana/malt/sweetness comes through more in the smell than the taste. Taste is a bit drier and hoppier with a chocolaty finish with less complexity than others of this style. It is good, not great, and for $6/bommer it was solid value.

05-05-2012 03:25:58 | More by innersanctum