1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Avalon Spiced Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Avalon Spiced AleAvalon Spiced Ale

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: younger35 on 11-22-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by themedievalist:
3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Shared a bomber with my boyfriend. I generally like trying fruit-flavored beers, and this was a limited edition, so I figured it was worth a try.

A - Reddish-gold color, reminiscent of amber, with a light, creamy head and a small amount of lacing. Nice enough, but nothing too special.

S- Basically smelled exactly like apple cider. Not a lot of subtlety there. It took some time for the spices to come out - some hints of clove and cinnamon.

T- I felt as though the apple flavor melded better with the malt and alcohol than in some other fruit-flavored ales I've tried. Like the smell, it improved as the beer warmed a bit (I probably had the first sip when it was a bit too cold). Definitely a good example of what it was, but I think the whole bomber would have been a bit much.

M- Light and fizzy; pleasant enough.

D- Very refreshing and enjoyable, but as I said, I'm not sure how much I'd want to drink at once, or whether it would be my first choice if I saw it again.

Overall - I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's anything too special.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

22oz bomber, split with the lady while making dinner

appearance: poured into a nitty mug, amber-orange body with a full frothy white cap

smell: apple cider, autumnal, a touch metallic, light malt structure

taste: interesting beer...apple cider, nutmeg, cinnamon, a touch of oak,clove, white pepper blood-rust offness unfortunately in the aftertaste...ok but not my fav two brothers effort

mouthfeel: medium, creamy

drinkability: ok

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a nice amber color with bright white foamy head.

Definite smell of apple cider. Nice apple smell with a hint of cinnamon.

Has a nice apple taste to it, with hints of cinnamon, clove, and maybe a touch of orange peel. Crisp with some tartness, almost like a hard cider.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonated.

Definately interesting. I split a bottle with the wife, and she really liked it. I found it enjoyable. Probably not something I'd buy regularly, but would definately get again. I definately recommend it for anyone who likes cider.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a luminescent orange-red, with a fluffy head. Served in a Duvel tulip around 45º. Aroma is all apples and cinnamon/nutmeg spices. Pretty appealing so far. Sweet and seemingly genuine red apple aroma, somehow apple jacks cereal and big red gum come to mind. A swirl rekindles the head, but it fizzles down to a thin ring after a few seconds.

Sweet and tangy apple flavor, spices in the background, with a sort of slick and funky aftertaste. As it warms, the solventy off note fades away. Body is fairly thin and watery, astringent with a sort of mushy apple aftertaste. It took some time to finish, and I didn't try warming it up. Not one i'll revisit, but it was an interesting experiment.

Somewhere I read that this was a Cyser: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style25.php

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Bomber. Says that it can be enjoyed hot and cold, so I will try both. Looking at the review dates, I have to assume this is pretty old. Actually, it's held up well.

Ample carbonation led to a large head of thousands of identical bubbles. Fast moving carbonation in the beer keeps it going, retaining well in the tulip glass. Darker color than I expected. A mildly dark golden amber. Foams up nicely with each swirl. Looks great. Leaves a complete sheet down the sides of the snifter I used for the hot beer.

Incredibly potent smell of apples, as one would expect. Very much like apple juice. No notes of artificiality. Spices are a bit tougher to find. When hot, very fragrant. More malt and some more definition in the spices would be nice.

Apple pie, without the crust. Sweetness to start, like red apple. Sort of hard to examine because the beer just dissolves in the mouth. Was hoping for a little more tartness. Not really much at all to be found. A bit of almost raw doughy yeastiness and overripe apple in the back end. Whenever a beer is made with spices, someone always jumps in and calls it a spice bomb, but I'd have a hard time seeing it with this beer. I'd have to think cinnamon is lightly used, along with nutmeg, as the predictable candidates. The malt flavor is really understated for a beer this strong. I expected a richer caramel presence, but it's very much in the background. More malt is keeping this from capturing the apple pie essence that would make this a real hit.

Incredibly soft and lively from the busy carbonation. Very light. When Duvel comes to mind, the mouthfeel is good. Really, really masks the 7.7%. By the second pour and beyond, definitely becomes a bit more normal.

For the lightness of feel, it really fills the stomach and was a surprisingly slow drinker for me. I suppose the effervescence led to much smaller sips. Tasty and enjoyable. It's not any better or worse hot; it's still fine. I think if it were sweeter, or more tart, it would work better as a hot beverage. I only had about 3-4 oz. hot, and then went back to it slightly chilled. At this point, I think I may have been enjoying the 7.7% more than the beer, so it went down quite well. Would have been okay with this as a smaller serving too, or as a nightcap. If you see any in the store still, don't be afraid. I can't imagine age has done any real harm.

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Split a bomber; poured into a flute.

A: Pours a lazy copper with a two finger head.

S. Smells like apple cider. There is a hint of hops and cinnamon stick in the back as well.

T: Tastes like apple cider. The hops are barely there and the spices are present. Has a bit of breadiness as well.

D: Drinkability is good. It drinks more like juice than beer, but there is still a lot of beery flavours in here.

Overall: Not bad, but not my cup of tea. This is a bit on the sweet side, so it might be perfect as a "girly drink" but It feels a little unbalanced for me and I wouldn't drink it every day. That being said, I'd love to try some cheese pairings with this.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Capone's...
Appears a transparent light orange toned gold with a small white cap that quickly fizzles into a mild collar. No lacing is left around the glass. Some CO2 bubbles quickly rise to the top.
Smell - I'm getting apple concentrate and...oh wait...I'm not getting anything else.
Taste - if you've ever had Organic Apple Juice from Whole Foods, imagine that with carbonation.
Mouthfeel - Sweet, Tart, Medium bodied, a bit dry. Carbonated Apple Juice. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

This is a brew for which the BJCP has yet to create a category. I have no doubt that this is at heart a cider, but once the spices and barley malt are tossed in, the BJCP just stands there, looks around a bit and whistles, hoping no one really notices that it has no idea what to do with this brew. Once again a brewer pushes on the BJCP envelope and it rips rather than accommodates. Congrats, Jason.

Anyway, popped the top on a 22 oz. bomber, pouring a rich golden-orange color into a pint, with a white head that quickly receded into a thin but persistent collar, as one would expect of the cider it really is. Aroma of fresh, tart apples with a hint of clean malt, spices are subdued at this point in time, glancing over previous reviews it seems that the spices were more prominent a month or so ago, perhaps too prominent. They now are definitely tasteful backup singers for the apples. A taste confirms that this is a cider with mild spicing accentuating an apple-pie flavor and malt to firm up the body.

Fuller than a standard cider, the malt unfermentables give this a mild richness that is really the only beer-like character that stands out from a typical cider profile. This remains very, even dangerously drinkable since it fills in the thinness of a cider without becoming satiating.

Approached with an open mind and palate, and perhaps after the spices have mellowed and grudgingly accepted their proper role, this is a fine effort to create a more perfect cider, adding a little malt fullness and depth of spicing without taking anything away from the apples.

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

I love Two Brothers and I like apples, but I don't know about apple beer. Granted, Leinie's Apple Spice (or whatever it's called) is the only "apple beer" I've tried, but I am optimistic that this one will be better...

Brown bomber pours a nice bright pinkish orange color with great clarity with thin white head that's gone in an instant.

Very sweet smell of apples and cinnamon -- just like apple cider. Not much else there.

Tastes like beer mixed with spiced apple cider. Not all that complex, but it appears that they acheived what they set out to do. The apples are not overpowering but not hiding in the background either. Light bodied and crisp with a dry finish.

Not my favorite beer, but high marks are in order because they pretty much accomplished what they set out to do with this one. It's an interesting beer and definitely a good choice for cider fans.

Tasted on 12/9/08.

2.58/5  rDev -26.3%

On tap at Capones.

Poured a medium and slightly hazy golden color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of, drum roll please, spiced apples. Some citrus too if I dig deep. Tastes of the same spicy apples. If you put this in front of me blind, I would have said, yep, that is a cider.

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Looks very much like apple juice with a bit of a head.

Smells like applejuice with spicing from cinnamon and allspice. Taste is the same, can't find the malt / beer here, but Ok for what it is.

Decent heavyness in the mouth, ok drinker, as the bottle says could be served warm, and as it warmed up it became more interesting. Stiill a bit too sweet for my tastes, strong hops might help, an easy choice for your girlfriend as an entry beer. For me, I'm moving on the the 2bros more complex beers.

Never heard of this one before when I saw it on the shelf at Jungle Jims. Taking a chance, as I've never really had beers of this style either...

Appearance: Looks pretty tasty - pours clear amber with a skim of white foam and little lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles run throughout.

Smell: Ooo...I'm intimidated. It smells tart-sour. I had a bad experience with a sour, and I haven't gone back since. Smells like apple juice, granny smiths, cinnamon, honey and nutmeg. I'm scared to sip...It's not a bad smell, just scary for a sour-phobe.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The apple is very bright, crisp and juicy - literally like biting into a fresh apple. There is a definite sour-tartness that is hard for me to get into, but I'm working with it. The spices are mild, and really highlighted by the good carbonation. Cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe allspice are all present, along with a slightly metallic tinge. Really sweet overall. Mouthfeel is bright and fizzy, carrying the warmth of the alcohol into my chest.

Drinkability: Probably pretty high if this is your thing/for the style, but I doubt I'll be able to finish the bomber alone. Just a little too tart and sweet for me. At least I'm trying...

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%

Had on tap at Jacks bar in downtown Chicago. Poured to a reddish yellow with thin off white had that dissipated quickly and left little lacing. Nose was a very pleasant malty apples and cinnamon and a mouthfeel that was a little tingly. Flavor was muted, but a follow-up of the spicy apple found in the nose. Alcohol never did make itself known, but all and all not a bad beer on a cold night.

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

Found a bottle of this in New York. Amber, one-two finger head. A smell of sour apple, a little musty. Slightly foamy mouthfeel first reveals an apple taste quickly washed away by an earthy cinnamon finish.

Personnally, I found this less than pleasant, but I am not a big fan of cinnamon, which I found too overpowering in this.

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

I will admit it from the start...I am a HUGE hard cider fan and if this "beer" came close to hitting the mark it would earn a good score, it did!

A-Rosy, orange amber with a wisp of a thin white head, no lace.

S-Sweet, fresh pressed apples and cinnamon and a bit of ornage and honey. Very much like mulled apple cider.

T-Mulled apple cider. This is not complex but it is wonderful in it's simplicity. I am impressed with how damn tasty it is!

M-Light bodied, smooth and crisp with a dry finish. Honey like lingering flavours build as it warms.

A beer for cider fans....much like NG Apple Ale with it's in your face apple goodness but with a spiced twist. Very nice, I approve.

3.15/5  rDev -10%

The beer pours a nice amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a solid pilsner malt scent along with a wonderful aplle cider and spice aroma. It's different, but good. The taste is average. It has a very dry cider taste with a bit of spice and crystal malt added. It has a moderate tartness to it along with a slight earthy feel. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a full bodied beer with too much CO2. This is an interesting beer, but I'm not too crazy with the carbonation. Also, it's extremely dry.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Part of the recent NEPA BC split.

Pours a clear reddish copper color with two plus inches of tan head. Head is pretty thick and settles slowly, doing a decent job of coating the glass as it falls and retaining a thin but pretty full lace when it's done.

At first whiff this smells somewhat tart and very much like a lot of wild ales smell. As it opens up a bit more it is clearly an apple cider aroma, slightly tart but not sour or wild. There's a bit of spice there too; I don't know what spices they used but there's an earthy aroma and a hint of cinnamon.

Taste also features an apple cider flavor, slightly tart like the nose was. It's not very sweet at all; the fermentation took care of most of the residual sugar here. In the finish there is a good deal of spicing that gets quite bitter actually; very earthy and peppery. Does have a cinnamon quality to it but it's got a bite as well.

Mouthfeel is a very crisp medium body with good carbonation. Quite dry in the finish although it's a little bit chalky as well. Just sort of a weird texture left on the palate.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. Never heard of it and the bottle was pretty dusty; last review was 11 months ago, so the dust makes sense. I was expecting a potential disaster but really it's not bad. Cider characteristics make for a pretty unique beer. If not for the spicy bite in the finish it'd be pretty drinkable too. Not too shabby.

3.33/5  rDev -4.9%

Bright reddish copper with a thin skim of whitish foam that settled into a long lasting collar. The aroma had a bit of apple with faint malt, but was mostly mulling spices that were fairly intense, bordering on perfume. The flavour was sweet with apples, the tart or baking variety, with more spice and a bit of alcohol, cinnamon, allspice. Low carbonation, sticky and slick, seemed underattenuated. Light warmth. Not bad, but needs to be cleaned up and the spices toned down.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a lovely golden amber with a small fizzy beige head that is incredibly short lived and leaves no lacing behind. Basically it looks like a delicious glass of cider.

Juicy red apple jumps out at the nose, along with cinnamon and nutmeg. There is some honey sweetness and a floral quality as well. A really amazing smelling brew.

Unfortunately, the nose doesn't carry over into the taste. I get some red apple skin, but none of the luscious juiciness the nose promised. There is a bit of caramel maltiness and the spices are still there but not very prominent. While the immediate flavors are just bland, the aftertaste is off-putting. The finish is bitterly medicinal and sour, and sticks around far too long.

The body is surprisingly light based on the juicy nose and 7.7% abv. The finish is quite dry and really brings out the bitterness, which is surprising since it is under 20 IBUs.

I had high hopes for the last 1/3 of the bottle, after struggling through it cold I was hoping that heating the beer as the label suggested would make it shine.. My hopes were dashed, the apple flavor, which isn't prominent enough cold fades even more when heated and the unpleasant medicinal aftertaste really shines. The wonderful nose was muted by the heat as well. A few sips and then I dumped it. If I were to rate this hot it would lose at least a full letter grade.

This beer had so much promise; the concept, appearance, and aromas were all quite enticing, but as soon as it hit my tongue everything went downhill.

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

22oz Bomber
$5.99
Binny's, Orland

I picked a couple of these up before Christmas and this was the last in the fridge. Avalon happens to be an ale brewed with apple cider and spices. The body of this hybrid is crystal clear and shows the color of tarnished copper that's polished when backlit. A hard pour brought about a dishwater white head that settled to a swirling with a thin collar of foam. A little spot of foam sticks here and there but there's not much besides.

I thoroughly enjoy the nose on this unique concoction and it seemed to fit in well around Christmas. There's not a whole lot of "ale" in this spiced cider as far as the nose lets on but what's there brings some caramel sweetness that sits in the back. Lush red apples leap from the glass with candied orange peel, nutmeg, and cinnamon all showing signs of life. From the smell of things this may be better warmed slightly. It really is just like a spiced cider, warming.

I'd like this to taste like it smells but it just doesn't work out that way. The apples are there right off the bat but are quickly surpassed by the ale qualities. Unfortunately, the ale qualities aren't the best. An off sweetness shows up, like rotten apples (from the ale not the cider) and an off putting rubber flavor that sucks the enjoyment out of each drink. As somewhat of a redeeming quality the crisp cider makes a moderate showing on the swallow with a touch of sweetness. The spices are nowhere to be found.

The mouthfeel fits what the flavors should be. The body has some lightness to it while the carbonation is moderate but soft. Each drink leaves behind a touch of slickness on the tongue.

The drinkability is low to say the least. I'm going to finish this bomber but it's going to take some work on my part. What can I say? I'm a trooper!

I enjoy most of Two Brothers brews and all most all of their Artisan bottlings but this cider/ale missed the mark. They would have been better off filling this bomber with the cider than adding the ale as well. It's not awful but it's not one I would pick up again.

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Picked up a single 22oz. bottle at Abe's in Bethlehem. Poured into my shaker glass and appears a clear golden amber color with about a finger of off-white foam. Smells of fresh pressed apple cider, mulling spices such as nutmeg, mace, cinnamon, and possibly allspice. Great aroma, mouthwatering even. Taste is unique and pleasant. Flavors of caramel malt and bread are in the forefront, quickly followed by red and green apples, spicy black pepper, nutmeg and a hint of cinnamon. Spiced caramel apples anyone? Medium in body with medium to moderate carbonation. Much thanks to Two Brothers for taking a stab at brewing such a unique and tasty beer/cider. I look forward to it's return next season.

3.78/5  rDev +8%

This beer poured out as an amber looking color, there wasn't a ton of head on this brew at all. The lacing was kind of nonexistent. The smell of the beer is of pure apple cider and some cinnamon. I really enjoyed the aroma this brew had. The taste of the beer brings that apple flavor along onto the tongue. The aftertaste is spicy. The mouthfeel is a little watery. Overall I'm a little bummed to see this has been retired. I wanted to try it again this fall. Maybe I'll find some on a dusty shelf somewhere.

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

Had cold then slowly warmed over time.

Pours out a clear, yet deep coppery amber with very few bubbles and only a quick bright white head after the pour. Red delicious apples splased with a touch of cinnamon and a little coriander blend with a light toasted malt in the nose. Cidery, fresh apples blended with a spiced blonde ale. The herbal flavors seem to imbue a drier palate, plus teh hint of hops from the blonde tasting ale. Just touch of alcohol in the middle makes me think of tin. Other than that, a good, unique beer/cider. Great beer for sharing with skeptical beer friends.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »