Bare Tree Weiss Wine Vintage 2008 - Two Brothers Brewing Company

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-25-2009)
1.85/5  rDev -49.5%

Picked this up at Lakeview Binny's shortly after it was released - probably early 2009. Served in a Russian River tulip.

A - Pours with a thin white quick-dissolving foam that settles to nothing - no ring, lace, haze, etc. Transparent golden body.

S - Mold, pond water, lemon detergent, and a hint of malty sweetness. Reminded me of White Birch Indomitus a little bit.

T - Taste is a bit better. Mostly bland, light malt sweetness, and a moldy pond water finish. Tastes corked.

M - Almost no carbonation. Slimy medium body, some alcohol warmth.

D - This was the worst of a number of bad beers we tried. My experience was pretty much on point with BuckeyeNation's, so it's not clearly not an isolated "off" bottle. Avoid at all costs.

MasterSki, Apr 17, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -32.2%

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

--Greek proverb

Polished orange with small flecks of yeast and larger flakes of what might be proteinaceous junk. This is not old beer. In fact, I'm pretty sure the release date is the year following the date that appears on the label. A barely audible pop on cork extraction was followed by a small cap of bone colored foam that is doing an okay job laying down lace.

The aroma is strictly average as well (and that's being kind). No wheatiness escapes the glass, just a hint of nonspecific fruitiness and a hint of grain alcohol. Talk about a lack of personality. On second thought, it's below average.

I've had a small handful of wheatwines to date. This one might be the worst of the lot. It's even worse than the 2007 Bare Tree, which I didn't think was possible. Do they taste this stuff before they bottle it? Speaking of which, the bottle size is now just 375 ml. That's more than fine with me, given what it tastes like, but it was still $7.99.

The flavor profile... uh, there really isn't one. This is one of the most flavor-deficient ales in recent memory. Only a lack of nastiness keeps the taste score from falling even lower. There's (maybe) a hint of untoasted wheat, a trace of white wine-like fruitiness and less alcohol than expected given the ABV. It's pretty easy to drink, but who the hell would want too. A second time anyway.

The mouthfeel is way too thin and is underbubbled besides. Maybe the cork didn't fit tightly enough. Actually, it was difficult to remove, so there goes that theory. I prefer low-end carbonation in many cases, but this is ridiculous.

Something happened to the brewers who gave us Two Brothers Bare Tree Weiss 2006. Maybe they were abducted by aliens because the last two vintages have been close to awful. This one is not worth your time or your money unless you have to drink every wheatwine that comes down the pike. If so... you were warned.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 13, 2009
2.51/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to JLindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a clear apple juice hue with tons of floaties. Very very little head but nice light lacing.

S - Aromas of apple juice and....cork. ah oh well.

T - Taste is more corked flavours. Faint apples and wheat but this is mostly cork. Very unfortunate.

M - Mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated. Accurate for the style.

O - Overall this beer yyou could tell at one point was very nice but now tine has not been kind. Very unfortunate.

rudzud, Feb 12, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

Deep gold body with virtually no head. A bit a chunky bits floating in the haziness. Aroma is a bit funky and is reminiscent of apple cider vinegar and honey. Flavor echoes that sentiment. After the initial burst of flavor, a very subtle clove note appears. Also a slight metallic edge. Mouthfeel is really thin. Drinkability is poor - a very disappointing beer.

aaronh, Oct 23, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Saw this at a store in Ohio while visiting my parents and it looked appealing enough to pick up a bottle. Poured from a 12.7 oz corked and caged into a snifter. The appearance is similar that of a lighter colored DIPA. Very still, no head and it looks like it's sat around for a while.

The smell is what I like to refer to as a, 'What the f*ck?!?' Seriously, where is it? I mean there are some subdued wheat characteristics. A little bit of spice from what I'm guessing are sazz hops paired with a profound skunk scent. Smells like a light german beer.

The taste is what I like to refer to as a, 'You've got to be kidding me!?!' If I tried this beer blindly, I would have assumed that this was macro non-light beer. There is a substantial wheat texture to this beer. The flavor is straight grain with a touch of alcohol. No malt sweetness which is something I like to see in barleywine/wheetwine beers. Very shoddy all around, and would not recommend.

CoolJosh, Aug 28, 2009
2.64/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to rjacklin for this possibly interesting beer.

Pours very slight fizzy head fades almost instantly, hazy murky yeast sediment laden golden honey colored.

Nose starts with cork, it's def corked, and a bit oxidized, some wheat aromas, hint spices and straw, some apple cider. Pretty much cork and apple with hint of wheat.

Taste isn't much better, tons of Apple cider at first, then yeasty bready flavors, wet cardboard oxidation and nasty cork. No wheat, little slimy even, light bitterness and bit of warming booze. Tons of dried apple.

Mouth is med bodied, light warming booze, little slimy, no carb.

Overall meh, it would probably be good without the corked and oxidation. That's too bad, wish I had this fresh now.

jlindros, Feb 13, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had an impossible time getting the cork out. I had to eventually resort to a corkscrew.

Pours autumn orange with suspended sediment and a thin, creamy white head. The chunky sediment didn't help much and I poured carefully and actually left quite a bit in the bottle.

The smell and taste were pretty unpleasant, for me. Wet and dried cardboard, funk, damp leaves, and fruit rind. Somewhat syrupy mouthfeel with orange pulp and sulfer that come out later.

If this were supposed to be a belgian style maybe. I considered drain pouring this several times. I could never recommend this. This one's over the hill.

brownbeer, Nov 19, 2009

Giving the 2Bros another whirl. I've been enjoying the wheatwines lately, & have fallen in love with the best of the bunch, Weyerbacher XIV. So this one has a strong, recent memory of the standard bearer to fight off.

Poured from a weird little 375ML bottle, which we don't see much of here in the frozen girdled waist of the USA. Brilliant orange w/floaties. Smell is mild grassy, grainy, with a heaping plate of alcohol. Yowzadoid.

Bare Tree 2008 is a pretty mild sapling; there's not much to it. A genteel sweetness is the only thing discernable at first swig, & repeated dives for further nuances come up with little. Sweet, faint echo of the grassy highlands of Montana, tiny bit of apple core. There's really little here. This is one of the most tasteless brews I've ever had, & at 11.5% alcohol, they plainly put some ingredients in here. Where'd they go?

OK, Brothers. I have tried very hard to like your beers; this is my fifth different go at something from your fine establishment. And none of them have risen above mediocrity, I am sorry to say. With so many kick-ass & plain good brewing operations out there, I've spent my last dollar on a Two Brothers brew. Goodbye.

maximum12, Jan 14, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Couldn't budge the cork, used corkscrew.

A - Orangish brown, tree on the bottle is fitting as it looks the color of falling leaves. Barely any head on the pour, which disappeared almost immediately.

S - Sour, get a strong wine influence from this. Vinegar and sour alcohol sent are present, as well as fruit, pears and bananas mostly, and some belgiany yeast.

T - A lot more yeast than I was expecting. Alcohol, and a sour phenol taste. Leaves the mouth sour as well, doesn't get bitter though. A little rough and kind of a chemically sour that I don't care for. Slight banana and pear taste.

M - A little syrupy, barely carbonated, lasting aftertaste.

D - A little too alcoholy to drink a lot of, and too sour as well. It's not bad, but not something I'd go for very often, would be better with food.

AgentZero, Nov 26, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Served in a Three Floyds tulip pint glass.

I've had this sittin' around for a while now, figured I'd pop it open and see what it has in store. It pours a clear sunrise amber topped by a half-finger (at absolute best) of off-white foam and populated by some major floaties. The nose comprises dank cedar, white wine, sour green grapes, and mandarin oranges. I'd expect this kind of smell from a mild white wine, but not from this bottle. The taste holds notes of mandarin orange, light orange peel, banana, very light grapefruit, unsalted crackers, and some light white grape. The body is a light-ish medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a thickly slick feel. Overall, I don't think time has been too kind to this beer. It's not all bad, per se, but it is not something I ever really want to pop again.

TMoney2591, Apr 25, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

from 12.7 oz bottle

A- corked and caged it opened with very little pop..it poured a slight hazed golden orange color with a quick to dissipate head.not much lacing or collar

S- was light fruit some lemon not much else

T-was a slight sour funk of apples and pears with lemon and a musty stale taste

M- very low carbonation with a sour funk,it was a smooth silky feel..abv very well hidden

O- not my style or taste on this one it was stale tasting in a negative way to me

gatornation, Jul 20, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Believe I got this bottle from Czoch75 back in the 2nd Round of the Fight Club BIF... I had this one time before thanks to Ditmier.. tonight, I'm drinking this because I'm broke and trying to clean up some bottles from the cellar.

The cork came apart in at least 3 pieces... I ultimately had to use a corkscrew to get out the last bit... no POP or anything, thankfully on the pour, it seemed to have carbonation.. descent enough 1 finger white head leaves a little lace.. the brew is crystal clear lite orange.

Nose seems pretty flimsy.. sorta musty pale malts.. a fruitiness that reminds me of apricot jam without all the sweetness..

Flavor is pretty much the same.... this is not DEAD FLAT.. but it is certainly in need of a bunch of carbonation.. reminds me of apple cider with a small shot of booze..

I'm done reviewing this one... it is only gonna get worse if I keep writing.. I remember the bottle Ditmier brought over as better, but my mind could easily have a better description.

Thanks Clint.. and Eric!!.. but I am really hoping the other bottle of the '08 and the single '07 in the cellar are going to be a shit-ton better..

3.5/3.5/3/2.5/3

JohnGalt1, Dec 15, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This was a 5 min struggle to get the cork out with no help from the carbonation. This beer pours a deep clear but slightly dense orange body with a sea of microbubbles sticking to the glass. The head was a thin white patchy foam that faded to a small ring pretty quickly.

S- The smell of clove with a light wheat dough note comes through an otherwise pretty clean aroma. There is a faint overripe banana smell followed by a earthy hop hint both of which grow as the beer warms.

T- The light wheat bread flavor has a hint of toast followed by a soft dry bubblegum, clove and club soda flavor that has more of a fruity quality as the beer warms. The finish is a pine hop note that turns more noble and bitter as the beer warms but still stays pretty soft.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with no real alcohol heat even when it is warm.

D- This taste like a average wheat beer or maybe a borderline imperial wit but there isn't much depth and I wouldn't call it a wheat wine. Its just pretty pedestrian with no caramel or malty flavors anywhere. It is also pretty impressive to make sell a 12 oz bottle that looks like a much bigger bottle, but still sells for close to the price of last years 750ml bottle of Bare Tree. I don't see any advantage to aging this one.

rhoadsrage, May 13, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a coppery orange hue with an edge layer of wispy off white head.
Aroma is bready yeast and caramel with a bit of orange/apricot sweetness maybe some white grapes mixed in the nose.
First sip reveals an average body with almost no carbonation, texture is a little watery making the beer drink very fast.
Flavor is caramel and white grapes with some orange peel and a bit of doughy yeast. No hops appear or booze, the beer is a very easy drinker, primarily due to the thinness of the body.
Some decent complexity and godo flavors, the body hurts this beer a bit IMO. I admit to being a little disappointed with the brew.

sulldaddy, Feb 14, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Got this one in a barleywine bif ages ago. I believe it was from mikeseraser

a - opened with no pop and the cork looks kind of musty. A hard pour yeilded less than a finger of head that was gone pretty quick after the pour. Brew was semi transparent with some yeast floaties.

s - smells like musty alcohol. Some lemon, orange, yeast, alc sweetness.

t - odd. Musty. Alcohol sweetness. Lemon lime orange wheatiness.

m - soft carbonation, thin for all that heat.

o - overall fairly meh. Barleywine wheat beer...exactly what you would expect, maybe a bit sweeter?

cosmicevan, Jan 23, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

GRG1313, Mar 13, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

remitrom, Aug 07, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this puppy from Gcurlow in the Secret Santa 2009 BIF. Thanks Grant, I fully expected this beer to hang around on my wants list forever.

This cork was extremely hard to get out. It was too small for me to pull it out with my hands, and when I used my bottle opener it actually tore the bottom off of it. Be careful.

Bare Tree has a bright orange body that is very hazy, with a good bit of sediment floating around. The head is off-white and only about half a finger in height; it disappears almost immediately. Despite the fact that the head is so insubstantial, it does manage to leave a few spindly traces of lacing on my glass.

The nose is interesting. It is packed with a bunch of wheat twang, a lightly toasted wheat aroma, and a bunch of banana, bubble gum and slightly peppery phenols. Smells a little bit like a hefeweizen.

Two thins surprise me about Bare Tree on the very first sip. First, the lack of an alcohol taste or warmth from alcohol is impressive. Second, the beer has a very mild flavor. I'm not sure how something with this much packed into it seems so diminutive in the flavor department. It isn't bad at all, I just expected something big. Up front is a slightly funky flavor that tastes just a bit sour in the way that a saison yeast will taste. There is a light toasted malt flavor with a decent wheat twang to it, followed by what tastes a little bit like dry white wine that carries only hints of green apple and basically none of the banana and bubble gum I noticed in the aroma. The finish just seems to abrupt and I feel like there should be something more.

The carbonation held up well over the year plus that this spent in the bottle. The body is moderate to full.

The drinkability is interesting on this one because the alcohol is so hard to detect, and I like the beer, but I don't really feel the desire to crack open another bottle (not that I have one). Overall, I'm glad I got to try Bare Tree, and I would definitely be open to trying a different vintage in the future.

Hojaminbag, Apr 16, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

This is my first wheatwine, so this should be interesting.

Pours a clear copper color with a finger of head. Luckily, there are no cork bits floating around considering the epic struggle I just had that left my hand numb and a the cork laying decimated in a pile of rubble.

Smell is strong citrus, yeast, and clove. Like a fine Hefeweizen only with a bit more alcohol burn and overall potency.

The taste is very malty with more caramel characteristics than I would have anticipated, but still plenty of that wheat/yeast flavor to make it stand out. There is a bit of an unfortunate metallic presence, but luckily it is rather small. This is quite odd and perplexing, I'm not really sure whether I like it or not to be quite honest. One side of my brain is saying "yum" and the other is saying "ehhh"

A big grassiness eventually comes into play and that is making me now lean towards the "ehhh." Mouthfeel is just fine, but overall I guess I'm just not too crazy about this. Not really complex and tasty enough to justify the high ABV. Still, worth checking out if you have the chance.

alcstradamus, Oct 07, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -7.1%

The tiny cork in this one was surprisingly hard to get out. I actually had to whip out the corkscrew to pull it out.

Pours a clear orange color. The head, which was extremely hard to coax out and very short lived, is white. Not much lacing going on.

The aroma is not strong at all. It's almost hard to pick out anything, but I get a mild wheat scent. Sort of like a watered down Hefeweizen, I get light banana and cloves, and yeast. This is sort of disappointing.

The taste, sadly, doesn't stand up to my hopes. I haven't found a wheat beer I couldn't like (or at least tolerate), but this one might have crossed the line. I don't get anything impressive what so ever. I mean, if anything, this tastes like a slightly above average macro, and average (at best) wheat beer. Hardly any yeast, cloves, banana or anything.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, at least it has that going for it. If the drinkability weren't so goddamn high this would be a disaster. I mean, the 11.5% is no where. I could slam these back all day long and never remember doing it. I almost want to think they are lying because it seems impossible to me to hide that high of an ABV without any strong flavours to mask it. Just plain witchcraft.

I'm very disappointed with this one. I had high hopes for my first Wheatwine, but they were dashed the minute I had my first sip. I would take a normal Hefeweizen over this anyday, as most of them have twice as much flavor and complexity.

Mistofminn, Jul 27, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color. The head is only a half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into light lacing. This is pretty weak for a wheat beer. The aroma is banana bread and clove, with a hint of alcohol. It is a very pleasant aroma, but it lacks any "wow" factor. The taste is less lively than the aroma. It has some nice banana notes, but the is about it. There is no alcohol presence which is nice to see in a beer this big. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with an texture that is thin for a wheat beer. And I mean thin for any wheat beer not an 11.5% ABV wheat beer. It put it another I can easily name off a dozen 5%ABV hefe and dunkelweizens that have a fuller, chewier mouthfeel than this beer. I was expecting this beer to be a meal, and it gives meal something less than an appetizer. Overall, this is a big disappointment. I've only had a few Wheatwines, but this is clearly not up to bar. If the purpose of a beer having a high alcohol content is so that it has a stronger flavor and aroma, than this beer is clearly a failure. I can't recommend this beer.

KarlHungus, Jul 05, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Received in the FROLF BIF, I forget the sender...

I needed a set of pliers to pull the cork out of this bottle.

A - Pours an orangish copper with off white head. It leaves no head or lacing, just a slow stream of bubbles.

S - Not much in the smell for how big I thought the beer would be. Smells similar to a hefeweizen; pear, clove, banana, and yeast.

T - More of the smell, very subdued.

M/D - Definitely needs to warm up before it has a decent body, but still lacks. The best part of this beer is how well the alcohol is hidden. Nothing stands out or dominates the flavor or the smell, it's like a beefed up hefeweizen.

xpimptastikx, Sep 28, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Gonzoillini, Mar 21, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

gpawned, Aug 21, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2008 version on tap at Blind Tiger. Pours a super cloudy pumpkin-orange with a white head. A little frightening looking actually. Aroma is largely of wheat with some yeast and light spices. Flavor of orange peel, sweet Belgian yeast, sweet fruits. Very sweet, more like a BSA to me. Enjoyable.

LilBeerDoctor, Aug 27, 2009