Bare Tree Weiss Wine Vintage 2008 - Two Brothers Brewing Company

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-25-2009)
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12.7 oz bottle provided by the great spointon. Been looking forward to this one for a while. My love of wheatwines has grown, so his is a nice treat. Served up in a snifter.

A: Vibrant, bright orange in color. Held to the light, more of that orange comes out around a light caramel center. The body is hazy with a little bit of debris floating around in here. Carbonation is lazily moving around in the body or just simply resting on the side of the glass. The head is a bright white finger. Falls to about a 1/4 finger thatstics around and tosses up some pretty decent lace on the glass.

S: Smell is what I have always wanted from a wheatwine. Smells like an imperial wheat/weizen. Big wheat aroma but a decent dose of alcohol. There is a bit of sweetness in here that has a wine like smell, almost like a reisling. Little bit of clove, citrus and banana rounds things off.

T: Not much unlike the nose. Starts off with a good amount of wheat. Citrus/grapefruit comes out just a bit with some banana. There is a wine presence as well but it is more of a chardonnay and dry one at that. Kind of a strange flavor to have in here and it does draw it back just a touch. Could have done better with the fruity sweetness of reisling presence like in the nose. Clove and spice round things off. WIth all that said, the flavor is very thin. It just doesn't have a big presence and flavors are weak when they are present. They are good though.

M: Thin side of medium in body. Carbonation is light and keeps this creamy, or on the thin side of creamy. There is a light prickle from the alcohol, bringing some light heat. The beer is pretty dry at times and sweet at others. That aspect really works for the beer. Aftertaste is all clove and wheat.

D: Overall drinkability and impression is good. The aroma is fantastic, I only wish the body was a bit thicker and the flavors were a little more consistant and amplified. Other than that, it is very easy drinking and enjoyable, even with the inconsistency. Not bad at all and was a good experience. Really enjoyed it.

Serving Type: 375ml Bottle Vessel Type: Snifter Price:NA

everetends, Apr 18, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this puppy from Gcurlow in the Secret Santa 2009 BIF. Thanks Grant, I fully expected this beer to hang around on my wants list forever.

This cork was extremely hard to get out. It was too small for me to pull it out with my hands, and when I used my bottle opener it actually tore the bottom off of it. Be careful.

Bare Tree has a bright orange body that is very hazy, with a good bit of sediment floating around. The head is off-white and only about half a finger in height; it disappears almost immediately. Despite the fact that the head is so insubstantial, it does manage to leave a few spindly traces of lacing on my glass.

The nose is interesting. It is packed with a bunch of wheat twang, a lightly toasted wheat aroma, and a bunch of banana, bubble gum and slightly peppery phenols. Smells a little bit like a hefeweizen.

Two thins surprise me about Bare Tree on the very first sip. First, the lack of an alcohol taste or warmth from alcohol is impressive. Second, the beer has a very mild flavor. I'm not sure how something with this much packed into it seems so diminutive in the flavor department. It isn't bad at all, I just expected something big. Up front is a slightly funky flavor that tastes just a bit sour in the way that a saison yeast will taste. There is a light toasted malt flavor with a decent wheat twang to it, followed by what tastes a little bit like dry white wine that carries only hints of green apple and basically none of the banana and bubble gum I noticed in the aroma. The finish just seems to abrupt and I feel like there should be something more.

The carbonation held up well over the year plus that this spent in the bottle. The body is moderate to full.

The drinkability is interesting on this one because the alcohol is so hard to detect, and I like the beer, but I don't really feel the desire to crack open another bottle (not that I have one). Overall, I'm glad I got to try Bare Tree, and I would definitely be open to trying a different vintage in the future.

Hojaminbag, Apr 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12.7oz bottle caged and corked from Action Liquors in Antioch, IL. A vintage rarity, I guess thats the upside of buying from places that don't get much business in their craft beer section.

A: Hazy straw yellow/amber. Thin creamy head that dissipates slowly into a white collar around the edges with wisps are swirls left floating on top of the beer. Residual lacing with some yeast sediment clinging to the walls of the glass.

S: Alcohol, clove and lemon zest. Vibrant and citrusy, tingles the sinuses. Low ester and banana phenol levels. Semi sweet honey. Reminds me of a cool summer day.

T&M: Tart lemon and mature wheat upfront and then boom! a quick flash of sweetness in the middle reminiscent of honeydew or some sort or mild fruit followed by a long semi-dry clovey finish. A tad of crispy acidity seeping in similar to a good Chardonnay. Buttery mouthfeel that doesn't leave one part of the tongue uncovered in this experience. Astringent at first and then tinny amounts of carbonation not felt until the finish on the back of the tongue. Amazing how this beer goes through three very different cycles of flavor: tart, sweet then dry.

D: Highly drinkable due to the thinner body, although you get some alcohol in the nose, it is not tasted at all. I could easy sip back a few of these but I would feel rather gluttonous as it is a bit of a rarity. Wouldn't mind switching to a normal Wit after this. Wish I would have saved it for that cool summer day then.

Heferwiezer, Mar 18, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a coppery orange hue with an edge layer of wispy off white head.
Aroma is bready yeast and caramel with a bit of orange/apricot sweetness maybe some white grapes mixed in the nose.
First sip reveals an average body with almost no carbonation, texture is a little watery making the beer drink very fast.
Flavor is caramel and white grapes with some orange peel and a bit of doughy yeast. No hops appear or booze, the beer is a very easy drinker, primarily due to the thinness of the body.
Some decent complexity and godo flavors, the body hurts this beer a bit IMO. I admit to being a little disappointed with the brew.

sulldaddy, Feb 14, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +6%

Pours an orange-tinged gold colour with flecks of floaty in the glass, steady and consistent bead. Head is generous and white, medium-dense and leaving some nice trails of lace behind. Love it.

Nose is a little bit fruitier than I thought it would be. Lots of citrus on there, with lemon and tangerine prominent. Hints of passionfruit as well, and a touch of cakey malt. Actually a bit weaker than I would like, but fairly nice with good aroma blend.

Taste is a bit sour in fact, with a fair amount of fresh, if underripe, fruit, pervading. Some mild funk notes come through on the mid, providing some notes of cheese rind and leather that never overwhelms, or even really dominates, the palate, but provides a nice bitter-savoury character towards the end. Very refreshing and palatable beer, with good saison-brett kind of character (even though, yes, there's no brett in it) towards the end, but nice fresh fruitiness for the most part. Very decent.

A lot of texture, almost like it's repeating itself on my tongue, just keeps "being" something there. Potentially I think a bit over-fizzed.

Very pleasant beer. Thirst-quenchingly good for the most part and amazingly light flavour for how alcoholic it is. Slight cheese rind pong is the only drawback.

laituegonflable, Jan 28, 2010

Pours a slightly dull orange yellow colour, with some haze, and a filmy fine head of white foam. Lacing is really excellent, surprising, given that the head itself isn't particularly impressive. Body looks lovely and thick, and swirling leaves some truly wonderful static carbonation bubbles in the edge. Nice.

Big, rich and mature wheat notes on the nose. Lots of banana phenols, spicy clove and nutmeg, with characters of butter, toffee and general sweetness. The wheat note cuts through it all though, ensuring it doesn't get too cloying. Very nice.

There's notes of boozy alcohol present on the palate, but very little harshness, and the smooth if slightly acidic wheat characters ensures that these have a firm basis otherwise. There's something slightly metallic to it as well, and these clean notes leaven what would otherwise be quite boozy and quite heavy. Mouthfeel is a little light. It could be smoother, but it has a pleasantly spritzy carbonation that sets of the slightly citric notes on the palate.

Overall, a different style of wheatwine to what I've tried. If anything this really accentuates the wheat characters in it - the phenols, the light acidity the lighter body. It doesn't create something heavy and cloying. It's particularly impressive for how alcoholic it is - it stays surprisingly light and drinkable.

lacqueredmouse, Jan 24, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

I really like this beer. Nice golden color with little carbonation. I usuaully like a little more. The smell is ok, sort of astringent. The taste is slightly sweet. but more bitter and the alcohol is not very present at all. I expect a lot more sweetness compared with others this strong and because of the wheat flavors. I have to say this is probably the best beer I've had this year. I am a Two Brothers fan and this beer only increased my desire to try more. This is a clean and sharp beer almost like a very intense pilsner.

bheilman, Jan 24, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Appears a light orange toned gold with a small white cap that quickly fades into a mod film. Scattered bits of lacing s left around the glass.
Smell is of huge mellon, apricot, pepper, poached pear, and tart wheat.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with mild apple and bread yeast flavor pulling through.
Mouthfeel ismedium bodied, mldly tart, refreshing, and yeasty.
Holy smackeral. I need more of this. This is going to age well. 5 years would be optimal IMO.

weeare138, Jan 16, 2010

Giving the 2Bros another whirl. I've been enjoying the wheatwines lately, & have fallen in love with the best of the bunch, Weyerbacher XIV. So this one has a strong, recent memory of the standard bearer to fight off.

Poured from a weird little 375ML bottle, which we don't see much of here in the frozen girdled waist of the USA. Brilliant orange w/floaties. Smell is mild grassy, grainy, with a heaping plate of alcohol. Yowzadoid.

Bare Tree 2008 is a pretty mild sapling; there's not much to it. A genteel sweetness is the only thing discernable at first swig, & repeated dives for further nuances come up with little. Sweet, faint echo of the grassy highlands of Montana, tiny bit of apple core. There's really little here. This is one of the most tasteless brews I've ever had, & at 11.5% alcohol, they plainly put some ingredients in here. Where'd they go?

OK, Brothers. I have tried very hard to like your beers; this is my fifth different go at something from your fine establishment. And none of them have risen above mediocrity, I am sorry to say. With so many kick-ass & plain good brewing operations out there, I've spent my last dollar on a Two Brothers brew. Goodbye.

maximum12, Jan 14, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a 1/2" white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. I has a dry, pale and wheat malt scent along with a fruity hefe yeast aroma. This is peculiar for a wheat wine, but it does add some extra character. The taste is decent. It has a dry and earthy pale/wheat malt flavor. It goes down easy with a bit of warmth and yeast fruitiness in the finish . The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is an interesting beer. It's a damn drinkable wheat wine that's unlike any wheat wine I've had. The yeast character adds a nice layer of complexity that adds a new twist on this style.

WesWes, Dec 31, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured from a 375ml corked and caged bottle into an Brewery Ommegang glass.

The cork took much effort to get out. I couldn't budge it by hand so i used a strap wrench to loosen it. I'm attributing this to the pretty low carbonation of the beer. it poured a hazy golden color with no head; just a ring of small bubbles around the rim.

Smell is very reminiscent of a not as sour geuze style beer. Wheat, tart apricot, a little brett maybe? I'm just loving it.

Taste is what would be expected of the smell. This big flavorful tart beer. To me this is like a lambic's big brother with much more body behind it but not as sour. Not really a hint of the alcohol unless one goes looking for it. I once again just love it.

Carbonation is low which is nice and it is very drinkable; much more so than any barleywine of the same strength.

This was my first example of the style and I was very pleased. I guess I was imagining the body and similar flavors to a barleywine. What I got was this fairly light flavored but full bodied tart kind of sour beer. If this was any indication of the style I will be seeking more out.

weatherdog, Dec 25, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Believe I got this bottle from Czoch75 back in the 2nd Round of the Fight Club BIF... I had this one time before thanks to Ditmier.. tonight, I'm drinking this because I'm broke and trying to clean up some bottles from the cellar.

The cork came apart in at least 3 pieces... I ultimately had to use a corkscrew to get out the last bit... no POP or anything, thankfully on the pour, it seemed to have carbonation.. descent enough 1 finger white head leaves a little lace.. the brew is crystal clear lite orange.

Nose seems pretty flimsy.. sorta musty pale malts.. a fruitiness that reminds me of apricot jam without all the sweetness..

Flavor is pretty much the same.... this is not DEAD FLAT.. but it is certainly in need of a bunch of carbonation.. reminds me of apple cider with a small shot of booze..

I'm done reviewing this one... it is only gonna get worse if I keep writing.. I remember the bottle Ditmier brought over as better, but my mind could easily have a better description.

Thanks Clint.. and Eric!!.. but I am really hoping the other bottle of the '08 and the single '07 in the cellar are going to be a shit-ton better..

3.5/3.5/3/2.5/3

JohnGalt1, Dec 15, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -32.2%

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

--Greek proverb

Polished orange with small flecks of yeast and larger flakes of what might be proteinaceous junk. This is not old beer. In fact, I'm pretty sure the release date is the year following the date that appears on the label. A barely audible pop on cork extraction was followed by a small cap of bone colored foam that is doing an okay job laying down lace.

The aroma is strictly average as well (and that's being kind). No wheatiness escapes the glass, just a hint of nonspecific fruitiness and a hint of grain alcohol. Talk about a lack of personality. On second thought, it's below average.

I've had a small handful of wheatwines to date. This one might be the worst of the lot. It's even worse than the 2007 Bare Tree, which I didn't think was possible. Do they taste this stuff before they bottle it? Speaking of which, the bottle size is now just 375 ml. That's more than fine with me, given what it tastes like, but it was still $7.99.

The flavor profile... uh, there really isn't one. This is one of the most flavor-deficient ales in recent memory. Only a lack of nastiness keeps the taste score from falling even lower. There's (maybe) a hint of untoasted wheat, a trace of white wine-like fruitiness and less alcohol than expected given the ABV. It's pretty easy to drink, but who the hell would want too. A second time anyway.

The mouthfeel is way too thin and is underbubbled besides. Maybe the cork didn't fit tightly enough. Actually, it was difficult to remove, so there goes that theory. I prefer low-end carbonation in many cases, but this is ridiculous.

Something happened to the brewers who gave us Two Brothers Bare Tree Weiss 2006. Maybe they were abducted by aliens because the last two vintages have been close to awful. This one is not worth your time or your money unless you have to drink every wheatwine that comes down the pike. If so... you were warned.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 13, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Couldn't budge the cork, used corkscrew.

A - Orangish brown, tree on the bottle is fitting as it looks the color of falling leaves. Barely any head on the pour, which disappeared almost immediately.

S - Sour, get a strong wine influence from this. Vinegar and sour alcohol sent are present, as well as fruit, pears and bananas mostly, and some belgiany yeast.

T - A lot more yeast than I was expecting. Alcohol, and a sour phenol taste. Leaves the mouth sour as well, doesn't get bitter though. A little rough and kind of a chemically sour that I don't care for. Slight banana and pear taste.

M - A little syrupy, barely carbonated, lasting aftertaste.

D - A little too alcoholy to drink a lot of, and too sour as well. It's not bad, but not something I'd go for very often, would be better with food.

AgentZero, Nov 26, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had an impossible time getting the cork out. I had to eventually resort to a corkscrew.

Pours autumn orange with suspended sediment and a thin, creamy white head. The chunky sediment didn't help much and I poured carefully and actually left quite a bit in the bottle.

The smell and taste were pretty unpleasant, for me. Wet and dried cardboard, funk, damp leaves, and fruit rind. Somewhat syrupy mouthfeel with orange pulp and sulfer that come out later.

If this were supposed to be a belgian style maybe. I considered drain pouring this several times. I could never recommend this. This one's over the hill.

brownbeer, Nov 19, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

375 ml corked and caged bottle, picked up in MN.

Pours a lightly hazed orange/amber, nice colour, thin white head forms and quickly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, some legs and lace spots on the glass.

Smell is nice, sweet and caramelized, sugary, fruity sourness, grapefruit, wheat, banana like a weiss, sharp and acidic juice, alcohol, pretty neat character in this one.

Taste is nice too, caramel, sugary grapefruit, yeast, banana, bit of wood and vanilla, alcohol, wheat, some floral, prety neat, like a tripel or Imperial weissbier.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with low to medium carbonation. ABV is pretty well hidden and I like the mouthfeel on it, light and drinkable but still big with lots of character.

Viggo, Nov 09, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +6%

Viggo brought this one over. thanks eric!

375ml bottle, corked and caged. sampled nov 8/09.

pours mostly clear orangey amber with a thin fine white head. the head quickly drops to a ring around the glass and leaves lots of spotty lace.

aroma is neat. big weiss character. honey and light caramel. bit of lemon. light orange peel. bit of alcohol. touch of yeast. slightly woody. touch of vanilla. white bread and cracker.

taste is interesting. "weiss wine" seems an appropriate name. big weiss character. belgian yeast character. touch of spice. bit of lemon. honey and light caramel. bit of alcohol. white bread and cracker. lightly warming alcohol. bit of berliner weisse character too. touch of vanilla. slightly woody.

mouthfeel is good. medium-light body with a fairly dry finish. just under medium carbonation level.

drinkability is pretty good. there's elements of a bunch of styles here (tripel, weisse, berliner) and it makes for an interesting combo. alcohol is hidden fairly well. it's not quite to my taste, but interesting none the less.

grub, Nov 09, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

Deep gold body with virtually no head. A bit a chunky bits floating in the haziness. Aroma is a bit funky and is reminiscent of apple cider vinegar and honey. Flavor echoes that sentiment. After the initial burst of flavor, a very subtle clove note appears. Also a slight metallic edge. Mouthfeel is really thin. Drinkability is poor - a very disappointing beer.

aaronh, Oct 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Pleasant wheat wine, this was very "weiss", as opposed to heavy and barleywine, though the ingrediants are majority the latter. Medium on the tongue. Dry yet not drying, it was elegant with dinner and very drinkable.Light toasted wheat, fruity with some mild cloves.Aged one year.

Sammy, Oct 12, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

This is my first wheatwine, so this should be interesting.

Pours a clear copper color with a finger of head. Luckily, there are no cork bits floating around considering the epic struggle I just had that left my hand numb and a the cork laying decimated in a pile of rubble.

Smell is strong citrus, yeast, and clove. Like a fine Hefeweizen only with a bit more alcohol burn and overall potency.

The taste is very malty with more caramel characteristics than I would have anticipated, but still plenty of that wheat/yeast flavor to make it stand out. There is a bit of an unfortunate metallic presence, but luckily it is rather small. This is quite odd and perplexing, I'm not really sure whether I like it or not to be quite honest. One side of my brain is saying "yum" and the other is saying "ehhh"

A big grassiness eventually comes into play and that is making me now lean towards the "ehhh." Mouthfeel is just fine, but overall I guess I'm just not too crazy about this. Not really complex and tasty enough to justify the high ABV. Still, worth checking out if you have the chance.

alcstradamus, Oct 07, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wrestled with the cork for a good 10 minutes, while my brain nervously chanted "you'll shoot your eye out" as if I was Ralphie from "A Christmas Story." After all this, the cork just finally pulled out with the most unexciting whiff of gas.

A: Apple juice colored, with an odd amount of small yeast particular matter just hanging in suspension. Visibly active and lively carbonation resulting in a small amount of whitish head.

S: Sweet apple cider. Calvados. Honey and bread.

T: Reminiscent of dry apple cider with only a faint hint of the normal wheat characters. Surprisingly, given the amount of yeast floating around in this beer, there was no yeast flavor.

M: Crisp and dry, especially over the tongue. Lighter in weight with higher carbonation levels.

D: Uninspiring. While I am admittedly not familiar with this style, I just don't seem to want to revisit it. Its not a bad beer, but it seems out of place, and really, just not very beer-like. I've got a second bottle, and since this one will supposedly age for years and years, I'm going to hold off on the second one to see where it goes.

Florida9, Sep 30, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Received in the FROLF BIF, I forget the sender...

I needed a set of pliers to pull the cork out of this bottle.

A - Pours an orangish copper with off white head. It leaves no head or lacing, just a slow stream of bubbles.

S - Not much in the smell for how big I thought the beer would be. Smells similar to a hefeweizen; pear, clove, banana, and yeast.

T - More of the smell, very subdued.

M/D - Definitely needs to warm up before it has a decent body, but still lacks. The best part of this beer is how well the alcohol is hidden. Nothing stands out or dominates the flavor or the smell, it's like a beefed up hefeweizen.

xpimptastikx, Sep 28, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12.7 oz bottle poured into a snifter. pours an orangish-amber color with a few loose bubbles on the surface that dissipate quickly.

aroma is of fruity yeast and some wheat malt. apple and grape notes are up front, with a citrus note close behind. a bit of alcohol as well. overall the brew is concentrated and rather pleasant in the nose. reminiscent of a fruity belgian pale in the nose.

taste is again of fruity yeast up front with the same apple, grape and light citrus notes, along with a base of wheat malt and bready yeast. the yeast character is distinctly Belgian, with undertones of tropical notes as well. the alcohol is very well hidden, only showing up in the aftertaste after considerable warming.

mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lightly dry on the back end with a lightly sweet profile on the palate.

drinkability is good. this is very well put together, and for 11.5% APV there is not much more to be done in regards to concealing it. the brew resembles a strong belgian pale with some wheat malt thrown in. this BA can't speak for past versions of this brew, but will be looking forward to future installments. cheers!

botham, Sep 02, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Saw this at a store in Ohio while visiting my parents and it looked appealing enough to pick up a bottle. Poured from a 12.7 oz corked and caged into a snifter. The appearance is similar that of a lighter colored DIPA. Very still, no head and it looks like it's sat around for a while.

The smell is what I like to refer to as a, 'What the f*ck?!?' Seriously, where is it? I mean there are some subdued wheat characteristics. A little bit of spice from what I'm guessing are sazz hops paired with a profound skunk scent. Smells like a light german beer.

The taste is what I like to refer to as a, 'You've got to be kidding me!?!' If I tried this beer blindly, I would have assumed that this was macro non-light beer. There is a substantial wheat texture to this beer. The flavor is straight grain with a touch of alcohol. No malt sweetness which is something I like to see in barleywine/wheetwine beers. Very shoddy all around, and would not recommend.

CoolJosh, Aug 28, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2008 version on tap at Blind Tiger. Pours a super cloudy pumpkin-orange with a white head. A little frightening looking actually. Aroma is largely of wheat with some yeast and light spices. Flavor of orange peel, sweet Belgian yeast, sweet fruits. Very sweet, more like a BSA to me. Enjoyable.

LilBeerDoctor, Aug 27, 2009