Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Bare Tree Weiss Wine Vintage 2008 - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-25-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a 375ml corked and caged bottle into an Brewery Ommegang glass.

The cork took much effort to get out. I couldn't budge it by hand so i used a strap wrench to loosen it. I'm attributing this to the pretty low carbonation of the beer. it poured a hazy golden color with no head; just a ring of small bubbles around the rim.

Smell is very reminiscent of a not as sour geuze style beer. Wheat, tart apricot, a little brett maybe? I'm just loving it.

Taste is what would be expected of the smell. This big flavorful tart beer. To me this is like a lambic's big brother with much more body behind it but not as sour. Not really a hint of the alcohol unless one goes looking for it. I once again just love it.

Carbonation is low which is nice and it is very drinkable; much more so than any barleywine of the same strength.

This was my first example of the style and I was very pleased. I guess I was imagining the body and similar flavors to a barleywine. What I got was this fairly light flavored but full bodied tart kind of sour beer. If this was any indication of the style I will be seeking more out. (1,117 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Believe I got this bottle from Czoch75 back in the 2nd Round of the Fight Club BIF... I had this one time before thanks to Ditmier.. tonight, I'm drinking this because I'm broke and trying to clean up some bottles from the cellar.

The cork came apart in at least 3 pieces... I ultimately had to use a corkscrew to get out the last bit... no POP or anything, thankfully on the pour, it seemed to have carbonation.. descent enough 1 finger white head leaves a little lace.. the brew is crystal clear lite orange.

Nose seems pretty flimsy.. sorta musty pale malts.. a fruitiness that reminds me of apricot jam without all the sweetness..

Flavor is pretty much the same.... this is not DEAD FLAT.. but it is certainly in need of a bunch of carbonation.. reminds me of apple cider with a small shot of booze..

I'm done reviewing this one... it is only gonna get worse if I keep writing.. I remember the bottle Ditmier brought over as better, but my mind could easily have a better description.

Thanks Clint.. and Eric!!.. but I am really hoping the other bottle of the '08 and the single '07 in the cellar are going to be a shit-ton better..

3.5/3.5/3/2.5/3 (1,160 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

--Greek proverb

Polished orange with small flecks of yeast and larger flakes of what might be proteinaceous junk. This is not old beer. In fact, I'm pretty sure the release date is the year following the date that appears on the label. A barely audible pop on cork extraction was followed by a small cap of bone colored foam that is doing an okay job laying down lace.

The aroma is strictly average as well (and that's being kind). No wheatiness escapes the glass, just a hint of nonspecific fruitiness and a hint of grain alcohol. Talk about a lack of personality. On second thought, it's below average.

I've had a small handful of wheatwines to date. This one might be the worst of the lot. It's even worse than the 2007 Bare Tree, which I didn't think was possible. Do they taste this stuff before they bottle it? Speaking of which, the bottle size is now just 375 ml. That's more than fine with me, given what it tastes like, but it was still $7.99.

The flavor profile... uh, there really isn't one. This is one of the most flavor-deficient ales in recent memory. Only a lack of nastiness keeps the taste score from falling even lower. There's (maybe) a hint of untoasted wheat, a trace of white wine-like fruitiness and less alcohol than expected given the ABV. It's pretty easy to drink, but who the hell would want too. A second time anyway.

The mouthfeel is way too thin and is underbubbled besides. Maybe the cork didn't fit tightly enough. Actually, it was difficult to remove, so there goes that theory. I prefer low-end carbonation in many cases, but this is ridiculous.

Something happened to the brewers who gave us Two Brothers Bare Tree Weiss 2006. Maybe they were abducted by aliens because the last two vintages have been close to awful. This one is not worth your time or your money unless you have to drink every wheatwine that comes down the pike. If so... you were warned. (1,996 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -15.7%

Couldn't budge the cork, used corkscrew.

A - Orangish brown, tree on the bottle is fitting as it looks the color of falling leaves. Barely any head on the pour, which disappeared almost immediately.

S - Sour, get a strong wine influence from this. Vinegar and sour alcohol sent are present, as well as fruit, pears and bananas mostly, and some belgiany yeast.

T - A lot more yeast than I was expecting. Alcohol, and a sour phenol taste. Leaves the mouth sour as well, doesn't get bitter though. A little rough and kind of a chemically sour that I don't care for. Slight banana and pear taste.

M - A little syrupy, barely carbonated, lasting aftertaste.

D - A little too alcoholy to drink a lot of, and too sour as well. It's not bad, but not something I'd go for very often, would be better with food. (806 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had an impossible time getting the cork out. I had to eventually resort to a corkscrew.

Pours autumn orange with suspended sediment and a thin, creamy white head. The chunky sediment didn't help much and I poured carefully and actually left quite a bit in the bottle.

The smell and taste were pretty unpleasant, for me. Wet and dried cardboard, funk, damp leaves, and fruit rind. Somewhat syrupy mouthfeel with orange pulp and sulfer that come out later.

If this were supposed to be a belgian style maybe. I considered drain pouring this several times. I could never recommend this. This one's over the hill. (614 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

375 ml corked and caged bottle, picked up in MN.

Pours a lightly hazed orange/amber, nice colour, thin white head forms and quickly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, some legs and lace spots on the glass.

Smell is nice, sweet and caramelized, sugary, fruity sourness, grapefruit, wheat, banana like a weiss, sharp and acidic juice, alcohol, pretty neat character in this one.

Taste is nice too, caramel, sugary grapefruit, yeast, banana, bit of wood and vanilla, alcohol, wheat, some floral, prety neat, like a tripel or Imperial weissbier.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with low to medium carbonation. ABV is pretty well hidden and I like the mouthfeel on it, light and drinkable but still big with lots of character. (740 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Viggo brought this one over. thanks eric!

375ml bottle, corked and caged. sampled nov 8/09.

pours mostly clear orangey amber with a thin fine white head. the head quickly drops to a ring around the glass and leaves lots of spotty lace.

aroma is neat. big weiss character. honey and light caramel. bit of lemon. light orange peel. bit of alcohol. touch of yeast. slightly woody. touch of vanilla. white bread and cracker.

taste is interesting. "weiss wine" seems an appropriate name. big weiss character. belgian yeast character. touch of spice. bit of lemon. honey and light caramel. bit of alcohol. white bread and cracker. lightly warming alcohol. bit of berliner weisse character too. touch of vanilla. slightly woody.

mouthfeel is good. medium-light body with a fairly dry finish. just under medium carbonation level.

drinkability is pretty good. there's elements of a bunch of styles here (tripel, weisse, berliner) and it makes for an interesting combo. alcohol is hidden fairly well. it's not quite to my taste, but interesting none the less. (1,055 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

Deep gold body with virtually no head. A bit a chunky bits floating in the haziness. Aroma is a bit funky and is reminiscent of apple cider vinegar and honey. Flavor echoes that sentiment. After the initial burst of flavor, a very subtle clove note appears. Also a slight metallic edge. Mouthfeel is really thin. Drinkability is poor - a very disappointing beer. (362 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

Pleasant wheat wine, this was very "weiss", as opposed to heavy and barleywine, though the ingrediants are majority the latter. Medium on the tongue. Dry yet not drying, it was elegant with dinner and very drinkable.Light toasted wheat, fruity with some mild cloves.Aged one year. (280 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

This is my first wheatwine, so this should be interesting.

Pours a clear copper color with a finger of head. Luckily, there are no cork bits floating around considering the epic struggle I just had that left my hand numb and a the cork laying decimated in a pile of rubble.

Smell is strong citrus, yeast, and clove. Like a fine Hefeweizen only with a bit more alcohol burn and overall potency.

The taste is very malty with more caramel characteristics than I would have anticipated, but still plenty of that wheat/yeast flavor to make it stand out. There is a bit of an unfortunate metallic presence, but luckily it is rather small. This is quite odd and perplexing, I'm not really sure whether I like it or not to be quite honest. One side of my brain is saying "yum" and the other is saying "ehhh"

A big grassiness eventually comes into play and that is making me now lean towards the "ehhh." Mouthfeel is just fine, but overall I guess I'm just not too crazy about this. Not really complex and tasty enough to justify the high ABV. Still, worth checking out if you have the chance. (1,088 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wrestled with the cork for a good 10 minutes, while my brain nervously chanted "you'll shoot your eye out" as if I was Ralphie from "A Christmas Story." After all this, the cork just finally pulled out with the most unexciting whiff of gas.

A: Apple juice colored, with an odd amount of small yeast particular matter just hanging in suspension. Visibly active and lively carbonation resulting in a small amount of whitish head.

S: Sweet apple cider. Calvados. Honey and bread.

T: Reminiscent of dry apple cider with only a faint hint of the normal wheat characters. Surprisingly, given the amount of yeast floating around in this beer, there was no yeast flavor.

M: Crisp and dry, especially over the tongue. Lighter in weight with higher carbonation levels.

D: Uninspiring. While I am admittedly not familiar with this style, I just don't seem to want to revisit it. Its not a bad beer, but it seems out of place, and really, just not very beer-like. I've got a second bottle, and since this one will supposedly age for years and years, I'm going to hold off on the second one to see where it goes. (1,108 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

Received in the FROLF BIF, I forget the sender...

I needed a set of pliers to pull the cork out of this bottle.

A - Pours an orangish copper with off white head. It leaves no head or lacing, just a slow stream of bubbles.

S - Not much in the smell for how big I thought the beer would be. Smells similar to a hefeweizen; pear, clove, banana, and yeast.

T - More of the smell, very subdued.

M/D - Definitely needs to warm up before it has a decent body, but still lacks. The best part of this beer is how well the alcohol is hidden. Nothing stands out or dominates the flavor or the smell, it's like a beefed up hefeweizen. (627 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12.7 oz bottle poured into a snifter. pours an orangish-amber color with a few loose bubbles on the surface that dissipate quickly.

aroma is of fruity yeast and some wheat malt. apple and grape notes are up front, with a citrus note close behind. a bit of alcohol as well. overall the brew is concentrated and rather pleasant in the nose. reminiscent of a fruity belgian pale in the nose.

taste is again of fruity yeast up front with the same apple, grape and light citrus notes, along with a base of wheat malt and bready yeast. the yeast character is distinctly Belgian, with undertones of tropical notes as well. the alcohol is very well hidden, only showing up in the aftertaste after considerable warming.

mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lightly dry on the back end with a lightly sweet profile on the palate.

drinkability is good. this is very well put together, and for 11.5% APV there is not much more to be done in regards to concealing it. the brew resembles a strong belgian pale with some wheat malt thrown in. this BA can't speak for past versions of this brew, but will be looking forward to future installments. cheers! (1,145 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -28.3%

Saw this at a store in Ohio while visiting my parents and it looked appealing enough to pick up a bottle. Poured from a 12.7 oz corked and caged into a snifter. The appearance is similar that of a lighter colored DIPA. Very still, no head and it looks like it's sat around for a while.

The smell is what I like to refer to as a, 'What the f*ck?!?' Seriously, where is it? I mean there are some subdued wheat characteristics. A little bit of spice from what I'm guessing are sazz hops paired with a profound skunk scent. Smells like a light german beer.

The taste is what I like to refer to as a, 'You've got to be kidding me!?!' If I tried this beer blindly, I would have assumed that this was macro non-light beer. There is a substantial wheat texture to this beer. The flavor is straight grain with a touch of alcohol. No malt sweetness which is something I like to see in barleywine/wheetwine beers. Very shoddy all around, and would not recommend. (955 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2008 version on tap at Blind Tiger. Pours a super cloudy pumpkin-orange with a white head. A little frightening looking actually. Aroma is largely of wheat with some yeast and light spices. Flavor of orange peel, sweet Belgian yeast, sweet fruits. Very sweet, more like a BSA to me. Enjoyable. (293 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a snifter. I'd never had a wheatwine before, so I wasn't completely sure what to expect. As other reviewers have noted, this is a tough bottle to crack. The top of the cork snapped off mine; causing me to resort to a corkscrew. Oh well. I've had my share of funky corks before.

A: Thick and hazy orange amber with a dirty white head that has good beginnings. Small particulates floated in the beer despite very careful storage and pouring. Head retention is good and a fair trail of lace is left behind.

S: Both spicy and sweet. A clove and pepper bite balances against a dose of grapes and pears. There's a slight hint of ripe banana in the background. The overall aroma is rather subdued for a beer of this strength.

T: Dry and spicy, with a bit of fruit sweetness. The spicy flavors seem more a function of the alcohol's bite than the effort of the pepper and black tea hops. The strength of the beer is very evident because of the aforementioned spiciness and a system permeating warmth. A pear and apple fruitiness provides some sweet balance. Bread and dry earth flavors add yet another layer of complexity.

M: The body is heavy, syrupy and grainy all at the same time. Carbonation feels just about right.

D: I liked this beer. It's a welcome change of pace from barleywines. I'm glad I found this on the shelf. (1,334 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2008 vintage

A: I actually broke the cork trying to get it out of the bottle. I ended up having to use a corkscrew to get it out the rest of the way and I did get a nice little pop when it came out. Pours a slightly hazy, golden brown. Tiny off-white head left a bunch of lacy specks.

S: Aromas of pear and peach, more sweet fruit, candi sugar, spicy yeast, and toasty grain.

T: See above. Mellow orchard fruit, "wit-y" yeast, and gently toasted wheat. Sweet and fruity.

M: Slick and oily. Sweet but not at all syrup-y.

D: This drank so well we were lamenting the fact that this years' version wasn't in a 750. Where is the alcohol? Excellent! (740 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a lightly hazed, steadily carbonated, amber/orange with an off white head. No lacing.
The smell is Hefe-like in some ways; some clove, a bit fruity with a little banana.
The taste is a little medicinal, a very little plastic, some fruit and yeast. There is a little bitterness in the end and I don't notice any of the alcohol that's in this beer.
Mouthfeel is medium, slightly syrupy and dry in the finish.
Drinkability-I don't know, you better like the style and don't mind a buzz if you drink more than one.

While this is a very interesting beer as is the style of which I've had a couple of others, there are too many other beers & styles I'd rather drink. Definitely worth trying. (691 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

12.7 oz corked bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. No date on the bottle.

A - Slightly hazy and filled with specks of unavoidable sediment, this beer's golden apricot-orange color is brilliant in the light but deserving of a larger head. A fairly turbulent pour only created a ring of thin, creamy off-white foam. Legs upon a vigorous swirl were noted so it's lack of head could be in part to the strength of alcohol (no listing on bottle though). Good retention for the small head however. No real lacing sticks to the side though.

S - An aroma of Belgian yeast gives it a triple-like smell. Light bananas and sour dough bread with a touch of butter but the main aroma is a pear and white great fruitiness laced with dry wheat. Light clay and earthy tones float in the background as well. A nice light orange citrus aroma can be noted too. Very complex and inviting. Just the smell is making me love it already.

T - Interesting is the first word that jumps to my head. It's flavor is reminiscent of a triple while also a weissbier and barley wine (no crap right?) all mixed together. The Belgian yeast strain imparts its classic flavors of earthiness and clay lightly in the background while exhibiting a light banana ester as well. The pear doesn't pull through as much as the strong white grape which empowers the "wine" part of the style. The orange citrus may be attributed to a low level of hops added. A mild spiciness from the alcohol is also worth noting. With the amount of complexity here I almost forgot to mention the wheat which tastes like the primary source of fermentable sugars. Delicious and delicate, it's a treat for the taste buds.

M - Crisp and light, this weiss beer sparkles on the tongue like soda without that nasty carbonation bite in the throat. It is flavorful yet refreshing and has a bit of alcohol warmth to it although that could be the lack of food in my stomach.

D - Despite it's price tag for a mere 12.7 oz bottle, it's a great beer and a fantastic sipper. I'd love to pick up a few more of these bottles and hang on to them for a bit to see what some age will do. Doesn't touch the 2007 vintage, but its a good offering from the brothers! (2,180 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%

a: This opened with no audible pop, not a good sign. A vigorous pour did produce a smallish soda-pop head that sat atop a slightly hazy, caramel colored brew.

s: Bananas and a little heat, but not in the big, fresh sweet, way of most other big wheat beers I've tried. Instead, this has a musty quality that is oddly appealing. Moderately sharp, floral spiciness as well.

t: Dry overall, surprisingly lacking in sweetness. Yeaty cloves with plenty schnapps like bananas. The finish is spicy and quite dry. Warm overall, but not hot.

m: This ended up being fairly still not long after I opened it. More active carbonation would have helped a lot with this one I think.

d: Pretty good overall, but I would have liked a little something sweet to take the edge off the dryness. (776 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks! Poured in to a cervoise.

Appearance: The 375 mL bottle opened unceremoniously without so much as even the most modest of pops, so we were necessarily fearful about the carbonation on this one. Those fears were quickly assuaged by the presence of incredibly minuscule bubbles in the golden orange body of this brew, as well as a half-finger of dull white head which has below average retention but does leave a nice thick ring of foam around the periphery of the glass. Lacing is "what lacing?"

Aroma: Smells like a wheat wine, plus. Or minus as the case is here. All your traditional hefe notes - cloves, slight pepper, faint nuttiness, stronger citrus (mostly orange), and fainter banana - amped up ever so slightly, wrapped in a thick, not-quite-sickly-but-approaching-sickly sweet honey glaze, plus a few stray vegetal-y and borderline fishy notes. Oh, and a little booze, but doesn't smell quite like an "11.5% little booze."

Taste: Again, smells like a wheat wine, plus or minus. The "wheat wine" portion of my more than succinct attempt to summarize the way this beer tastes is sweet, earthy wheat, a few other malt notes (unusual for me to be able to detect in a wheatwine), spice, and heavy, sticky citrus. No bananas. There's a slightly tart presence - coming across as lemon, partially - that's nice but a little distracting, a faint salty note, and a few "green" notes as well - almost like all the aforementioned (and several not-aforementioned but unidentifiable) fruit notes, and comprising the remainder of the tart presence - are underripe. A 3.5 doesn't really do it justice, but I don't feel good about raising it to a 4.0.

Mouthfeel: Some carbonation, fortunately, but still a little low on the effervescence side of things. But, hey, that's how the style goes. A thick, mildly spritzy sort of brew that doesn't manage to bury or offend any of the flavor offerings but doesn't do too much beyond what you would expect to enhance them.

Drinkability: My first Two Brothers brew (haven't had Cane yet), and I can't say I'm too impressed. However, I also say that with the knowledge that this style is one that's difficult to pull off, especially for a smaller brewery. It's also a style with many detractors - is there a "perfect" wheatwine, and if so, what's it like? Regardless, at 11.5%, it's not the most drinkable brew in the cellar w/ re: to abv%, but it could be far worse, I suppose. Perhaps worth a try as a novelty, but unless they change the recipe - given all the above observations - I dunno if I'd seek this one out again. (2,595 characters)

People weren't kidding, this was a very tough bottle to open...

A - A radiant orange honey color with pale golden highlights... One finger worth of fizzy white head quickly fades leaving a thin veil of lace that forms into a partial moon shape... A small rush of carbonation to start slows quickly leaving only a very slight amount of slow paced carbonation...

S - Wheat... Plastic... Yeast and funk... Dried fruit... Orange Zest... Clove...

T - Wheat... Gentle malt base... Sugar... Apricot... Clove... Slightly medicinal aftertaste...

M - Delicate... Alcohol warmth on the tongue along with ever so slight carbonation bubbles... Medium bodied... Syrupy... Smooth...

D - A delightful sipper... Lots of subtle complexities to explore and enjoy... Can't quite seem to put this one down... (796 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

The tiny cork in this one was surprisingly hard to get out. I actually had to whip out the corkscrew to pull it out.

Pours a clear orange color. The head, which was extremely hard to coax out and very short lived, is white. Not much lacing going on.

The aroma is not strong at all. It's almost hard to pick out anything, but I get a mild wheat scent. Sort of like a watered down Hefeweizen, I get light banana and cloves, and yeast. This is sort of disappointing.

The taste, sadly, doesn't stand up to my hopes. I haven't found a wheat beer I couldn't like (or at least tolerate), but this one might have crossed the line. I don't get anything impressive what so ever. I mean, if anything, this tastes like a slightly above average macro, and average (at best) wheat beer. Hardly any yeast, cloves, banana or anything.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, at least it has that going for it. If the drinkability weren't so goddamn high this would be a disaster. I mean, the 11.5% is no where. I could slam these back all day long and never remember doing it. I almost want to think they are lying because it seems impossible to me to hide that high of an ABV without any strong flavours to mask it. Just plain witchcraft.

I'm very disappointed with this one. I had high hopes for my first Wheatwine, but they were dashed the minute I had my first sip. I would take a normal Hefeweizen over this anyday, as most of them have twice as much flavor and complexity. (1,457 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Corked and caged bottle. Pours a light amber color with very little head and no retention or lacing. Seems flat. The aroma is very fruity - apricots or peaches perhaps. Also smells quite sweet. The flavor also has the fruit character along with a slightly bitter finish and smooth body, much like a weizen. Some clove and spice in there as well. The body is medium, but a touch syrupy. The alcohol doesn't seem too apparent to me and the drinkability is pretty decent. (468 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks to TATTORSO for this bottle.

Green 12.7 ounce corked bottle.

Just a faint pop upon opening. Pours a cloudy burnt orange, with a thin head that fades rapidly to a thin cap and ring. The lacing is actually pretty decent considering the small amount of foam.

Smell; musty wheat and tart fruits, with some green apples and lemons. Some faint hints of sweet malts float around in the background. Very surprised by the tart aromas, reminds of some funky Belgian Saisons I've had before.

Taste; that tartness is present, but not as strongly as it is in the aroma. Cloves, green apples, pears, lemons and fresh cut grass. A pleasantly mild sweetness comes through near the finish with caramel and a touch of bread dough. Herbal hops top it all off with a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel/drinkability; medium bodied, which is a bit surprising with the huge abv. I was expecting a thicker beer, but I'm not really complaining. The drinkability is very good, especially with the alcohol barely being noticeable. (1,008 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast