Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Resistance IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Resistance IPAResistance IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: homebrew311 on 03-18-2010

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.
1.92/5  rDev -50%

The only resistance was trying to get it down.

On draft at the brewpub:

This beer really had no hop aroma or flavor, leaving only the bitterness to qualify it as an IPA. The oak seems to manifest as a sharp, acrid and acidy character in the beer. It was difficult to choke this one down. I really think they should reevaluate this one.Thankfully, the food arrived and made it a little easier to drink. I don't get these guys; Hop Juice is a good IIPA, so they know how to make an IPA. Yet, the rest of there beers that claim to have some serious hop qualities do not (ie bitter end). (585 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -44.5%

This beer is not worthy of a full review but for the sake of others it needs to be said. This is not an IPA, I don't know what else to call it but IPA is not it. The first thing I did was check the "best buy date" and that was not an issue. It tasted that way though, in a word this beer is SKUNKY, sour and damn near un drinkable. I have never been a huge fan of 2B but figured this oaked IPA could be a hit, nope. I don't know what the sourness comes from but it must be the oak. (481 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -43.5%

Appearance is hazy straw. Decent head and lacing.

Smell is of sour vinegar. This beer must be bad.

Taste is more intense vinegar mixed with some bitter hops and sweet malt. They are trying to break through but the sour vinegar totally overpowers the profile.

Mouthfeel is astringent.

I have had good samples of Resistance but this entire six pack was sour. Not the first time I have had a bad sixer from Two Brothers (one of my favorite brewers). They need to improve their quality control. (494 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.9%

It has been a long time since I have had Two Brothers, ever since I bought a 12 pack sampler and all of the beers inside were anywhere from sub-par to downright nasty. They do have at least one beer that I like and this sounded intriguing so what the heck lets try it.

A: Plain Jane hazy copper color with a thick head. Despite my best efforts, the head foams up like crazy and overflows a bit. Once it settles down, it is a pretty shade of off white that sticks to the glass.

S: Smell, what smell? This is an IPA? "Best by" date is far in the future so this must be fresh. Some grass, some faint honey and generic malt smell is all I get.

T: I take a sip and realize immediately that I do not like this beer. Not even close to what I would call an IPA. More like a cross between a weak APA and a grassy EPA. The bitterness is there but the pungent hops that I have come to expect from an IPA, just missing. Heck, it says "piney citrus hops" right on the bottle but I can't taste that at all. There is a small sourness to the palette that could be the oak, but I'm not picking up anything else. It has the same yucky aftertaste from a bad batch of homebrew I had once. Overall this does not taste like a beer from a commercial brewery.

M&D: Blah, too watery not enough body. I could drink a few of these before I got sick of the taste, as long as they were cold. I am disappointed that I payed over $10 for the 6 pack and still have 5 left to drink.

In conclusion, once bitten twice shy. Or twice bitten in this case. I will not be buying Two Brothers again. (1,563 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden orange color. One and finger white head shows light retention. Some light specks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Citrus hops are light in the front with sweet caramel malts. Light oak hints toward the middle with vanilla. Caramel malts in the ending with light sprinkled earthy hops. Hints of alcohol in the final part of the aroma.

T- Light citrus hops in the front get quickly masked by a caramel malt sweetness. The oak in the middle comes out a little more and throws off the beer I thought. Hints of vanilla in the backend with caramel malts coming through once again. Piney earthy hops linger in the ending along with a medicinal alcohol flavor.

M- Light medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Caramel malts, hints of oak, and earthy hops are left on the palate. Aftertaste is caramel malts, piney hops, medicinal alcohol, and a strange vanilla flavor. Flavors were not really balanced and a little watery at times. No off flavors were present while drinking this one. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- The flavors were a little under what I thought it was going to IPA but would have made a better pale ale personally. Can't win them all Two Brothers! (1,234 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Light haze on an auburn orange body. White, mixed bubbled head. Nice lace and retention.

S - Light orange and peach nose.

T - Sharp, bitter opening with a touch of malt. Wet grass center. Residual honey, broccoli, and bitter greens on the backend. Something might be up with this batch.

M - Light body. Smooth, but really lacks on carbonation.

O - The green vegetable flavors are definitely off. Unfortunately this probably has more to do vendor's tap lines where I got the growler than anything Two Brothers Brewing did wrong. Sorry guys, I wont use that growler station again. (586 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

Hazy golden body, nice white head. I really wanted to like this beer. It has an interesting combinations from plentiful hops and barrel aging, but I get pick up a melted plastic off taste to it that I have encountered in other beers. Great malt character, but this is a real distraction from what the beer does right. Maybe I just got a bad sample? (348 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -25.3%

Picked up a single bottle of this.

Poured into a pub glass semi rigerously, forming a smallish head less then a half inch tall. The heat is white, slowly receding and leaving a cap of retention along with thing legs of lace.
Color resembles a 2 row based brew, a pale yellow, hazy and unfiltered looking. A small amount of orange color too, looking more like a wheat beer.

Aroma is lacking, at first smelling of irish spring bar soap with a little sweetness and floral hops, mixing with some citric notes.

Mouthfeel is biting with carbonation and a little bit of slick feel. Carbonation is bordering nuisance levels as it is quite prickly and sharp.
Taste is light as well, but as it warmed flavors are coming around. Wood seems masked by bittering hops of pine lemon zest and an odd funk. I find myself wondering where the wood went.
For an ipa though this is a decent contender. But based on the style of wood aging, the lack of aroma and the disappointing feel, I cant see myself grabbing another one of these. (1,021 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter on 6/13/10

Best by 10/21/10

Amber-hued with highlights of tangerine; moderate density. I started with an average pour then had to dial it back - the foam filled the snifter with over three fingers of billowy foam. Porous along the inside of the glass, it settles inward leaving an island of meringue-esque foam. Lacing is decent; drippy strings. Retention is thin & the lace dries out.

Resistance IPA smells an awful lot like other Two Brothers IPAs I've tried. It's certainly balanced, if not tipping the scale toward malty. Caramel notes are in no short supply; it actually smells fairly sweet. While the aroma suggests floral & piney hints; the hops are more citric than anything: mostly lemon zest with some orange pith. Subtle oak overtones drift about.

Spicy citrus & pine immediately crackles o'er the tongue - zesty lemon & orange assisted by some dry grapefruit hints. With each sip, this initial moment of brilliance fades into murkiness. It seems to lose something by the finish (maybe the overactive carbonation has something to do with it). Toasted malts & caramel round it out, though aren't as prominent as in the aroma. I have to admit, I''m not getting too much of an oak flavor.

Whoa; way to much carbonation going on here, in my opinion (especially on the first few sips). I'm all for ample carbonation accenting spicy notes but here it distracts from the flavor of the beer, which is a definite downfall, considering it's supposed to have the subtleties of being aged in oak foudres. Medium bodied, otherwise. Finished pretty dry with some lingering lemon zest.

The aroma made me nervous, suggesting the only thing this IPA is resisting are hops. Thankfully, that isn't the case. However, the over-carbonation makes it all but impossible to enjoy any complexities this beer offers. It's a shame; this possibly could have been the best Two Brothers IPA. (1,900 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Opaque orange with hints of amber. Lackluster head retention takes this one down a notch. Carbonation is lower than most IPAs.

S: Citrusy and fruity. Maybe a slight bit of oranges. Mild malty sweetness. Not really that powerful. I don't get any oak character either.

T: A sharp hoppy bite greets the tongue at first. Following this I get various citrus fruits. Nothing really seems to stand out though. The malts supply some subtle caramel and honey notes. I do get some oak character with hints of berries and some sourness in the end. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the beer though. The bitterness is right on however.

M: Light to medium bodied. Undercarbonated for the style. Finishes slightly sticky in the throat.

D: Overall, an average IPA. The oak doesn't seem to add a lot. Not one I'd kick to the curb, but I'm not gonna chase it down either. (867 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Thanks to beersis81 for this extra!

pours a cloudy amber gold with a frothy off-white head. smell is of hops, grapefruit, orange, caramel and brown sugar sweetness, but not very strong. So far an average ipa.

Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, but it still has a bitter sweet bite in the end and finish. too sweet all the way through though, especially with the sugary apple flavor. some of the oak aging is there, but I think it has dulled down the flavors a bit instead of adding to them. not a bad beer, not a good ipa.

Mouthfeel is easily the best part of this one. Thick, nectar like, and the carbonation is well-done. Drinkability would be better if it tasted better, or if I was in the sun on a hot day, but right now, another part of the beer that is just average. (780 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

Cool bottle received from pochman recently. Huge thanks, Ed!

Poured into a pint glass. Best by 10/19/10 printed on the side. Must be fresh. "Ale aged in French Oak Foudres" also printed on bottle. Historically used for aging wine [per the web]. May be my first of this type of aging. Let's see...

Pours a very cloudy dark orange/gold. An enormous off-white head grows on top. Looks superb. Great lacing and sticky lace all over the glass. The scent is what I can describe as husky and chalky. From the oak? Dry wood shavings, perhaps? Some light citrus notes, but I can't get over the dry scent. Can't say as I can place that specifically.

The body is firm. Good carbonation presence. Mellow finish. This beer is a little more tart than I would like. Expecting more of fresh hop presence, I'm instead greeted by tart lemon, a little funk, and mellowed hops. The oak-aging played a part, no doubt, but it still leaves me wondering. The finish is like green apples. I don't think I could, or would have another one of these right after the other.

This was interesting. I like that it's different, but it's not my favorite. (1,126 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Sampled this at Savor 2010. Poured a golden-orange hue, with less than a finger of white, average retention, and average lacing. Certainly smelled of orange/apricot/lemon citrus, but somewhat wilted; almost sour, when taken into consideration with some earthy/woody tones. The taste revealed tones of overripe citrus fruit, with a more pronounced oaky/vanilla note, and a semi-sweet finish. The balance in the flavor seemed a little off-kilter. Modestly carbonated, medium feel. Wasn't a huge fan of this one. (509 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a coppery color with minimal head. Not much aroma at all in the nose, more of a regular PA than IPA aroma.

Taste is about the same as it smells. Definitely not enough hop flavor or aroma, but the bitterness is there. Very underwhelming. Again, its charateristics are much more like a Pale Ale instead of an IPA. Beer feels a little watery with not enough body or malt backbone. Just doesn't stand up to other IPAs in my opinion, considering the price point it is at. Another mediocre beer from Two Brothers. (514 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Got this in a recent BIF. 12oz bottle, best by 01/02/11, eh, let's see...

A: A nice honey color with a small white head that fades quickly to a lace atop the brew. Good.

S: A citrus malty sweetness upfront with some pineapple in the middle and some earthy hop on the backend. Decent.

T: A mild citrus hop with a hint of watery sweetness in the middle and some water on the backend. A watery IPA.

M: Light body with a great carbonation. A clean finish. Ok.

O: All in all, this is not a good example of an IPA. It's balanced, but more along the lines of a light pale ale. Try if you do not like IPA's, but are looking for a good segway brew. (644 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -14.6%

While I was certainly intrigued by the aging (a foudre is a big oak cask if anyone is wondering), I was a little disappointed by how this beer turned out. There's clearly a fine, rich citrusy IPA that can hold it's own. But there's an added tart, lightly puckering feel from the oak that I though detracted from the beer. I expected something a little smoother (maybe incorrectly) and found a sharp IPA that didn't sit well. (424 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -12.5%

Had this on tap at the Pony Bar, 6/24/10.

A-Pours a hazy gold with a thin white head and some good sticky lacing.

S-Lots of sweet malt, rather light on the hops.

T-Much like the nose, there is plenty of caramel malt through, with some light earthy hops peeking through in the finish.

M-Medium bodied with some light bitterness.

D-This one was just ok for me. Rather short on the IPA characteristics.

HV (408 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a yellow-gold ale with near excellent clarity (hint of haziness). single finger soap sud head falls to shin sheet of the same. Rare and spotty lacing.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, oak, metallic (copper). Not a particularly good smeller, but not bad either.

T: The oak on this is a bit too strong. Sweet ale with domineering citrus hopping and hints of pine and resin. The sweetness is persistent.

M: Medium to high body with medium to high carb. Not impressed. Too much carb for this beer.

O: Well done, not the finest oaked IPA I've had, but quite drinkable. I would likely pick up Great Divide's oaked IPA before this one side by side. (645 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Slightly hazed copper orange hue with an off white head. fine even lacing left behind. Aroma has citrus/floral/more grapefruit/peach pit tones. Sugar coated malt layers going round and round here with hints of french oak, slight bark and herbal tones. Flavor has a buttery/oak, citric/floral hops note. Really rides those flavors well together gets a little bit heavy on perfume type notes. Overall drinkability is incredible the body doesn't outweigh anything but the oily texture could possibly weigh me down, strange combinations of flavor and feel. Drinkabiliy overall is decent a bit of alcohol burn making through to my palate, but I'm not sure what should be flying. (673 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.9%

Hazy caramel colored body with a light 1 finger head that dissipates quickly into a thin small/medium sized bubble lacing. Unfiltered or full of dry-hop detritus? Above average.

Floral, citrus hops mingled with a soft earthiness which I assume is from the oak aging, the malt seems to support the hops in that it sweetens and rounds the citrus opposed to smelling too raisiny. Hints of tart berries come out in the nose which I may not care for in the taste.

I really taste the oak with its dull vanilla and tart earthiness, that coupled with bitter American hops that produce a light piney flavor. Malt is really light and I could use more maltose to support the oak.

Too dry for my taste.

A fine IPA from a great company, but for my money there are far better ones. I am not a fan of the oak aging, though I could see how some people would really go for those flavors. I like my IPAs a little cleaner (907 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle pours a pale amber with quickly dissapating head. Aroma is light citrus, toffee, oak, and cotton candy. Sweet malt backbone is very present, good pine and citrus hop profile, but not as intense as you would expect from an IPA. Mouthfeel is a little tepid with wet finish. This one is okay, but I don't think I would seek it out. (341 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A very light and nice white simple head is produced, but very tiny off the pour barely more than a finger in size. Nicely settling, slowly falling on to a opaque very pale amber body. No visible carbonation, sort of lifeless in appearance.

Nose has a sweet malt character to it, faint dark brown sugars, not particularly hop forward. Graham cracker sweet more than anything. Smells pleasant, but not like much of an IPA.

A good hop punch of pine, mixing much of that chewy biscuit graham on the end. Sweet malty milky finish much like the sensation on the nose. Small sharp finish and lingering, but sticking. Mouthfeel is pretty solid, nice tolerable carbonation also.

Overall, looking at this bottle it mentions oak. Not getting this what so ever, but I like this malt angle and hop pine finish. Kind of different but easily enjoyable. I could have this beer again, so the other bottles I have will get used up. (965 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz bottle with a best by date of sometime in august 2010 drank out of a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out a bright orange colored body with a finger and a half of foamy white head. the head fades quickly leaving behind small spots of lacing.

S- sweet honey and caramel malts and herbal hops are the main attractions here. the oak which they brag about on the bottle is hard to find, if its in the nose at all. a very mild smelling IPA.

T- the start is a decent amount of sweetness. honey stands out, as do caramel malts. after that comes a bit of an herbal taste which i believe is the only hint that this has seen any sort of wood. a nice hoppy finish rounds this one out. well balanced.

M- medium to light bodied with ample carbonation. the alcohol is well hidden.

D- i was expecting more from this one, and my hometown brewery. its not a bad brew, but with so many truly great IPA choices out there for about the same price i dont think ill find myself picking this one up often at all. (1,007 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: This one pours a clear gold with a small white head. Mid-range visible carbonation.

S: A bit more blah than I expected - sweet malts are forward, slightly boozy, and slight fruity hops.

T: Seems muted - malts, no particular hop flavor I can find but does have hop bitterness. There is some woody dryness.

M: Thinner mouthfeel than I want. No alcohol burn but still leaves a slightly boozy impression.

O: Nothing off-putting, but nothing particularly good. Wouldn't go out of my way for this one again. (573 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pale golden Yellow body with a white head. Sticky lacing cling to side of glass.

Smell: Citrusy hops and pineapple.

Taste: Orange, pineapple, and grapefruit imparting a mild bitterness. Very slight hint of oak. Nice biscuit malty backbone.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer. Moderate carbonation. This is very drinkable and crisp.

Overall: Nice solid IPA, simple and tasty. Alot more malty than i expected, but still balanced. (466 characters)

Resistance IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company