Resistance IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Resistance IPAResistance IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.

(Beer added by: homebrew311 on 03-18-2010)

NooseJustice, Dec 01, 2013

SirRyanFsu, Jan 03, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Opaque orange with hints of amber. Lackluster head retention takes this one down a notch. Carbonation is lower than most IPAs.

S: Citrusy and fruity. Maybe a slight bit of oranges. Mild malty sweetness. Not really that powerful. I don't get any oak character either.

T: A sharp hoppy bite greets the tongue at first. Following this I get various citrus fruits. Nothing really seems to stand out though. The malts supply some subtle caramel and honey notes. I do get some oak character with hints of berries and some sourness in the end. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the beer though. The bitterness is right on however.

M: Light to medium bodied. Undercarbonated for the style. Finishes slightly sticky in the throat.

D: Overall, an average IPA. The oak doesn't seem to add a lot. Not one I'd kick to the curb, but I'm not gonna chase it down either.

brewdoc75, Aug 11, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to beersis81 for this extra!

pours a cloudy amber gold with a frothy off-white head. smell is of hops, grapefruit, orange, caramel and brown sugar sweetness, but not very strong. So far an average ipa.

Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, but it still has a bitter sweet bite in the end and finish. too sweet all the way through though, especially with the sugary apple flavor. some of the oak aging is there, but I think it has dulled down the flavors a bit instead of adding to them. not a bad beer, not a good ipa.

Mouthfeel is easily the best part of this one. Thick, nectar like, and the carbonation is well-done. Drinkability would be better if it tasted better, or if I was in the sun on a hot day, but right now, another part of the beer that is just average.

jdklks, May 15, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Cool bottle received from pochman recently. Huge thanks, Ed!

Poured into a pint glass. Best by 10/19/10 printed on the side. Must be fresh. "Ale aged in French Oak Foudres" also printed on bottle. Historically used for aging wine [per the web]. May be my first of this type of aging. Let's see...

Pours a very cloudy dark orange/gold. An enormous off-white head grows on top. Looks superb. Great lacing and sticky lace all over the glass. The scent is what I can describe as husky and chalky. From the oak? Dry wood shavings, perhaps? Some light citrus notes, but I can't get over the dry scent. Can't say as I can place that specifically.

The body is firm. Good carbonation presence. Mellow finish. This beer is a little more tart than I would like. Expecting more of fresh hop presence, I'm instead greeted by tart lemon, a little funk, and mellowed hops. The oak-aging played a part, no doubt, but it still leaves me wondering. The finish is like green apples. I don't think I could, or would have another one of these right after the other.

This was interesting. I like that it's different, but it's not my favorite.

Onenote81, Jun 30, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a coppery color with minimal head. Not much aroma at all in the nose, more of a regular PA than IPA aroma.

Taste is about the same as it smells. Definitely not enough hop flavor or aroma, but the bitterness is there. Very underwhelming. Again, its charateristics are much more like a Pale Ale instead of an IPA. Beer feels a little watery with not enough body or malt backbone. Just doesn't stand up to other IPAs in my opinion, considering the price point it is at. Another mediocre beer from Two Brothers.

Prostman81, May 24, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Sampled this at Savor 2010. Poured a golden-orange hue, with less than a finger of white, average retention, and average lacing. Certainly smelled of orange/apricot/lemon citrus, but somewhat wilted; almost sour, when taken into consideration with some earthy/woody tones. The taste revealed tones of overripe citrus fruit, with a more pronounced oaky/vanilla note, and a semi-sweet finish. The balance in the flavor seemed a little off-kilter. Modestly carbonated, medium feel. Wasn't a huge fan of this one.

donniecuffs, Aug 03, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Got this in a recent BIF. 12oz bottle, best by 01/02/11, eh, let's see...

A: A nice honey color with a small white head that fades quickly to a lace atop the brew. Good.

S: A citrus malty sweetness upfront with some pineapple in the middle and some earthy hop on the backend. Decent.

T: A mild citrus hop with a hint of watery sweetness in the middle and some water on the backend. A watery IPA.

M: Light body with a great carbonation. A clean finish. Ok.

O: All in all, this is not a good example of an IPA. It's balanced, but more along the lines of a light pale ale. Try if you do not like IPA's, but are looking for a good segway brew.

steve8robin, May 07, 2011

amalahow, Jul 07, 2013

Lambocalrisien, Sep 15, 2013

chasmandocharles, Sep 20, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -15%

While I was certainly intrigued by the aging (a foudre is a big oak cask if anyone is wondering), I was a little disappointed by how this beer turned out. There's clearly a fine, rich citrusy IPA that can hold it's own. But there's an added tart, lightly puckering feel from the oak that I though detracted from the beer. I expected something a little smoother (maybe incorrectly) and found a sharp IPA that didn't sit well.

tempest, Jul 21, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

A: pours a yellow-gold ale with near excellent clarity (hint of haziness). single finger soap sud head falls to shin sheet of the same. Rare and spotty lacing.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, oak, metallic (copper). Not a particularly good smeller, but not bad either.

T: The oak on this is a bit too strong. Sweet ale with domineering citrus hopping and hints of pine and resin. The sweetness is persistent.

M: Medium to high body with medium to high carb. Not impressed. Too much carb for this beer.

O: Well done, not the finest oaked IPA I've had, but quite drinkable. I would likely pick up Great Divide's oaked IPA before this one side by side.

harrymel, Apr 15, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

Had this on tap at the Pony Bar, 6/24/10.

A-Pours a hazy gold with a thin white head and some good sticky lacing.

S-Lots of sweet malt, rather light on the hops.

T-Much like the nose, there is plenty of caramel malt through, with some light earthy hops peeking through in the finish.

M-Medium bodied with some light bitterness.

D-This one was just ok for me. Rather short on the IPA characteristics.

HV

sholland119, Jun 28, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

Slightly hazed copper orange hue with an off white head. fine even lacing left behind. Aroma has citrus/floral/more grapefruit/peach pit tones. Sugar coated malt layers going round and round here with hints of french oak, slight bark and herbal tones. Flavor has a buttery/oak, citric/floral hops note. Really rides those flavors well together gets a little bit heavy on perfume type notes. Overall drinkability is incredible the body doesn't outweigh anything but the oily texture could possibly weigh me down, strange combinations of flavor and feel. Drinkabiliy overall is decent a bit of alcohol burn making through to my palate, but I'm not sure what should be flying.

WVbeergeek, Oct 04, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

Hazy caramel colored body with a light 1 finger head that dissipates quickly into a thin small/medium sized bubble lacing. Unfiltered or full of dry-hop detritus? Above average.

Floral, citrus hops mingled with a soft earthiness which I assume is from the oak aging, the malt seems to support the hops in that it sweetens and rounds the citrus opposed to smelling too raisiny. Hints of tart berries come out in the nose which I may not care for in the taste.

I really taste the oak with its dull vanilla and tart earthiness, that coupled with bitter American hops that produce a light piney flavor. Malt is really light and I could use more maltose to support the oak.

Too dry for my taste.

A fine IPA from a great company, but for my money there are far better ones. I am not a fan of the oak aging, though I could see how some people would really go for those flavors. I like my IPAs a little cleaner

tapman, Aug 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz bottle pours a pale amber with quickly dissapating head. Aroma is light citrus, toffee, oak, and cotton candy. Sweet malt backbone is very present, good pine and citrus hop profile, but not as intense as you would expect from an IPA. Mouthfeel is a little tepid with wet finish. This one is okay, but I don't think I would seek it out.

coldriver, Feb 19, 2012